HIStory 25 [MERGED]

Today 25 years ago: Michael's upcoming performance at "Wetten Dass..?" hit the news.
Recorded from MTV Europe (1.11.1995) and 'BRAVO TV' (RTL2, 29.10.1995).

Honestly, the Estate should stop linking things to anniversaries. Don't be beholden to that criteria. Just pick an album that you think is worthy of celebration and celebrate it. No need to say, "We need to do something for this anniversary!"

If they don't put out a HIStory 25 this year, I'd like to see a HIStory: Book II next year, with the first disc featuring the 1995 album and the second featuring new material from all eras. That way we can get rid of the boring "greatest hits" package, celebrate the criminally underrated original album, and get a new album out of it. Two birds, one stone.

This is not a bad idea at all

Disk 1/ HIStory 15 tracks as we know them
Disk 2/ Could work with unreleased content, but could also make for a decent greatest hits (I know these are done to death) but this could be different as it could contain maybe 15 tracks from 1995 onwards plus unreleased

1/ Blood On The Dance Floor
2/ You Rock My World
3/ Ghosts
4/ What More Can I Give - Solo
5/ Love Never Felt So Good
6/ Unbreakable
7/ Xscape
8/ Hold My Hand
9-15/ - Unreleased stuff

Just an idea

Hulkamaniac;4308122 said:
^ That's a bootleg.

What on Earth is it doing on his Spotify... The Estate needs to sort out his streaming pages. I want a live album but this ain’t it.

Snek;4308134 said:
What on Earth is it doing on his Spotify... The Estate needs to sort out his streaming pages. I want a live album but this ain’t it.

I've long since learned to put up with whatever the Estate's doing. It's probably why I'm not all that stoked about a possible new album, because I know they'll find some way to eff it up.

Snek;4308134 said:

...Why would you want an official live History album? There's like 10 or more pro concerts on the net. Plus, almost the entire show is playback so I don't see why it would be released as an album.

Have they stopped doing the merch for the singles?

I guess so.

Disappointing. There was so much potential there, and it seems like they just abandoned the idea. Maybe the merch wasn't doing as well as they expected so they just backed off?

Have they stopped doing the merch for the singles?

The next single would be Earth Song which I believe was released in late November. So there is still time before the next release.

Hulkamaniac;4308137 said:
...Why would you want an official live History album? There's like 10 or more pro concerts on the net. Plus, almost the entire show is playback so I don't see why it would be released as an album.

It’s not a HIStory album specifically I want, although I do like to hear those songs with that live sound despite the playback. I emailed the Estate to see if they had any interest in putting their Wembley CD on streaming sites, but they haven’t got back to me.

I feel so bad for michael but at the sametime it's funny how his estate don't really care. it's funny and sad at the same time. but they need to do something. this is mike legacy. :laughing:

I have nothing against a live history tour album. i'm pretty sure fans already did them but hey the estate can make money off of live tour albums. though they probably will suck then the fans intake. smh.

Today 25 years ago, 1st November 1995, two days before leaving to Germany to perform at 'Wetten Dass..?', Michael made a rare public appearance at a Beverly Hills event to receive the Diamond of Africa award from the president of Ghana, Jerry Rawlings.

Last night I was searching HIStory and Dangerous Tour rehearsal videos and came across this "golden" gem. It is very short and a blink and you miss moment but it looks like I found a short video of him rehearsing wearing the gold pants.
[video=youtube;Mk1Nx8tHgxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?Mk1Nx8tHgxw[/video]

Sad enough, there is nothing yet . . . I really hoped for Earth Song & They Don't Care merch because those were my fav singles :'(

I hope that something is done to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the start of the HIStory Tour.

I hope that something is done to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the start of the HIStory Tour.

imo, they better should focus on october 2021 to celebrate 50 years since MJs first single release (GTBT)

I feel so bad for michael but at the sametime it's funny how his estate don't really care. it's funny and sad at the same time. but they need to do something. this is mike legacy. :laughing:

Speaking for myself, I think "the Estate doesn't care" is a myth. Some fans don't understand what the job of Estate executors actually is (or they don't want to understand) and they don't understand the magnitude of the job, including the complexities and the difficulties that have been faced for a very long eleven years. People don't heed anything that Estate officials tell them in Q & A's or in announcements and just keep on believing what best fits their own narrative. There's nothing funny about it, really.

imo, they better should focus on october 2021 to celebrate 50 years since MJs first single release (GTBT)

That's a good idea! I hope they do! "Got to be There" was with Motown, right? Not sure if that presents complications or not.

Last night I was searching HIStory and Dangerous Tour rehearsal videos and came across this "golden" gem. It is very short and a blink and you miss moment but it looks like I found a short video of him rehearsing wearing the gold pants.
[video=youtube;Mk1Nx8tHgxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?Mk1Nx8tHgxw[/video]

So funny that it's from a source named "The BAD Tour Archives". LOL

They have that luxury. Michael's Estate doesn't.

(NOTE: For those who have seen me bitch about this time and time again, it isn't a defense for the Estate's radio silence. It's simply not sensible to compare the amount of unreleased material we get from the Prince estate versus the MJ estate, because it's a known fact that Prince has FAR more releasable music. You can compare the frequency of the projects themselves, but not the music contained within. It's nonsensical.)

Spot on, as always. I'll probably have all the Prince fans up in arms when I say this, too, but even though Prince was prolific - churning out songs/albums by the score and there is no doubt a lot of unreleased music in his vaults that can be flooded out to the public - the overall quality of it and high standard of excellence is not there, in comparison to what we have in Michael's music. I actually LIKE that there are fewer completed, releasable songs available to the Estate, because it makes what we do have, all the more valuable. Less is more.

Yet everyone is jealous of the MJ Estate... sure

Yes they are. That is definitely true. Envious, also, of what has been achieved in the past eleven years and envious of the continued strong chart performance of what Michael left behind for the world.

I guess so.

Disappointing. There was so much potential there, and it seems like they just abandoned the idea. Maybe the merch wasn't doing as well as they expected so they just backed off?

Perhaps. It's highly likely in the current economic climate. I think production and distribution has been slow in the eyes of many (maybe due to co-vid, I'm not sure), which they have found to be annoying and have complained about, on social media. People don't always read the fine print when they order, though. The HIStory merchandise was up for pre-order mid-year, around May or June, but it was due to be dispatched world-wide, only from October onwards. Some who placed their order in May expected to receive it soon after that, not realising that it was a pre-order, actually slated for later in the year.

Another problem is that the official t-shirts, hoodies, tank tops, caps and so forth are quite expensive. Fans can buy MJ knock-offs from a plethora of different web-sites, for a third of the price. It's just a matter of deciding how badly they want a specific item and how much they want to pay for it. It's like choosing between an official name brand or a Chinese copy of anything, I suppose - shoes, handbags, t-shirts, dresses, etc. A high proportion of people will most often choose the cheaper options.

I have a mixture of official and non-official MJ merchandise in my wardrobe - it depends entirely on my financial ebb and flow. :)

Back