History Tour DVD Release Christmas 1997 - which Cut/Angle/TV Version was planned for the Release?

Wasn't there a post of the DVD case on here years ago for Munich? I cant find it. Remember Seoul was released on VHS as well. As for Bucharest DVD it was released in 2004 along with the The Ultimate Collection box set then later released as a stand alone DVD in 2005. BBC broadcasted it in 1992 as well as HBO then on MJ marathons that ran regularly on VH1 in the 90's. Last time I remember VH1 showing the Bucharest show was on Michael Jackson's Halloween Crypt which same night also premiere of Making Of Ghosts VH1 version. They continued to show the concert few weeks after this was 2003 I am guessing. Theirs no doubt in my mind tho that VH1 most likely has the Yokohama concert I remember seeing part of Beat It on one of their promo commercials for station.

A picture from the Munich DVD Case exists? First time i hear that.

WiseGuy;4232278 said:
Wasn't there a post of the DVD case on here years ago for Munich? I cant find it.

aurinho;4232289 said:
A picture from the Munich DVD Case exists? First time i hear that.

Impossible.

There have been only fan-made/unofficial HIStory Munich DVD case covers.

Hess;4232247 said:
This sounds more like speculation than facts...

Why would he then make the Another Part of Me (live) musicvideo?

I do not say it's not correct, but it does sonund more like speculation than facts, and I think MJ wanted people to see the shows - thoses unfortunate who could not go to see him live, I do not think MJ never wanted to give them the opportunity.

This is not speculation.

It is what MJ told to reporters back then.

MJ gave those unfortunate people the opportunity to watch some footage of his BAD shows during that period.

But that was mainly for promotional purposes, in other words hyping up those concerts for more ticket sales (like the ‘Another Part Of Me’ music video which premiered during a BAD Tour documentary that aired in July 1988).

Just found this quote from the old 1998 HISteria website, with info taken from MJNI and MJIFC:

"The HIStory Tour will be released in early May [1998] (exact date not yet determined).
Sony Music Europe told MJNI that they were not sure if other Sony offices (eg. USA) would release these videos, but that it was likely the whole world, including the USA, would release the tour video as this will be Michael Jackson's first ever tour video."

Any more info on the outcome of this? This definitely would've sold a ton.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a VHS release, not DVD.

I saw promotional material for the tape, but never the actual box artwork itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a VHS release, not DVD.

I saw promotional material for the tape, but never the actual box artwork itself.

It was advertised in Blockbusters in the UK at the time. The little magazine thing with upcoming releases had 'HIStory Tour/Ghosts' as an upcoming release at one point. It must have been close to release if it made it that far.

It was advertised in Blockbusters in the UK at the time. The little magazine thing with upcoming releases had 'HIStory Tour/Ghosts' as an upcoming release at one point. It must have been close to release if it made it that far.

HMV had posters up for it, too.

Do we have pictures of the posters or some magazine commercials?

Just my opinion, no copy was made only a Master Tape - maybe.

Damn mjs team messed up a good opportunity with not releasing that

There were copies made. I read a video review of that tape called “Michael Jackson - HIStory Live”. It was in a British music magazine back in 1997 which I can’t remember the name of.

I read on the Ms Mittens Canadian MJ fan site from 1997 that a HIStory Live Video was scheduled to be released in Europe in October of 1997. It never specified the location so idk but if it was a late 97 release it’s fairly likely it was Munich.

I remember Damien Shields stating a while back that the reason MJ didn't release concerts was to keep the mystique/ high profitability for his concerts...

On a side note I am guessing the estate is stock piling usable MJ footage for down the road as he will still be popular in 2049, for example, with the legendary aura like Elvis. I am not expecting much if they do Re-release TII next year.

Last edited:
I remember Damien Shields stating a while back that the reason MJ didn't release concerts was to keep the mystique/ high profitability for his concerts...

On a side note I am guessing the estate is stock piling usable MJ footage for down the road as he will still be popular in 2049, for example, with the legendary aura like Elvis. I am not expecting much if they do Re-release TII next year.

Is a 'This is It' re-release really going to happen? Through the various trials/lawsuits all involved were exposed as liars and people who had their best interests at heart forcing this guy on stage to a gruelling schedule, they all knew, he couldn't complete. The rehearsal footage was spliced together with as many edits and cuts as possible to make it look like MJ was ready for a tour. We know now, he was far from it. They got away with the lie in October of 2009, but I don't think they would now.

But on the other side, who cares about any of that, This is It was hugely successful so would do really well and people would love to see new footage from it.

I would love to see more TII footage. - The songs we haven't seen footage of - and much more of MJ's involment backstage - all his ideas etc.

More rehearsals with the band - like the TWYMMF-rehearsal - it's great.

Is a 'This is It' re-release really going to happen? Through the various trials/lawsuits all involved were exposed as liars and people who had their best interests at heart forcing this guy on stage to a gruelling schedule, they all knew, he couldn't complete. The rehearsal footage was spliced together with as many edits and cuts as possible to make it look like MJ was ready for a tour. We know now, he was far from it. They got away with the lie in October of 2009, but I don't think they would now.

But on the other side, who cares about any of that, This is It was hugely successful so would do really well and people would love to see new footage from it.

I think he wanted to do the tour , whether he would go through with it was different matter. He was happy on stage, especially the last two days, but had many problems off it.He was obviously ambivalent towards rehearsals. The last few years I believe he had lost interest in a lot of performing aspects. He had multiple meetings just to get him to come to rehearsals with complaints from Kenny Ortega and Randy Phillips. Years ago that did not happen. I think further editions of TII would be marred with people knowing the truth but money talks and people just want to see mj performing for the last time. Over time people will forget the whole truth.

More information from the HISteria website from March 30th 1998:

"MJ News International has received notification from Sony Music Entertainment Europe that the planned TOUR VIDEO, which was to be released worldwide (with the exception of the USA) in May 1998, has been POSTPONED. The reason for this is that MICHAEL JACKSON has told Sony that he wishes to add EXTRA BEHIND THE SCENES footage to the video. MJNI is being kept informed about this project, and when the new release date is decided, MJNI will inform the MJIFC as soon as possible."

"MJ News International has received notification from Sony Music Entertainment Europe that the planned TOUR VIDEO, which was to be released worldwide (with the exception of the USA) in May 1998, has been POSTPONED. The reason for this is that MICHAEL JACKSON has told Sony that he wishes to add EXTRA BEHIND THE SCENES footage to the video. MJNI is being kept informed about this project, and when the new release date is decided, MJNI will inform the MJIFC as soon as possible."

MJNI used to be so cool. And then the owner suddenly decided to Team Sony during MJs Invincible protest. Such a shame those days are behind us!

Interesting that it wasn't meant to be released in the U.S. I don't blame him either lol. I guess He decided to allow it to be broadcast in Europe instead after the VHS release was scrapped...

Interesting that it wasn't meant to be released in the U.S. I don't blame him either lol. I guess He decided to allow it to be broadcast in Europe instead after the VHS release was scrapped...

Most likely because the tour wasn't in the U.S. with the exception of HI

Back