How many hours would Michael work in the studio?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
To me Michael working in the studio is what really fascinates me at the moment with MJ.

Just purely seeing him in the studio in the 'office' working away at his craft is amazing and we really have little footage of it. I love hearing stories of Michael ordering KFC or Pizza etc.

So how long would Michael work in the studio at one time? I know some of the time would be spent sitting around with producers and musicians eating KFC discussing concepts and ideas.

I've read several stories about MJ sleeping on the studio floor whilst recording the Bad/Dangerous albums.

I remember seeing some amazing footage of MJ recording TDCAU in the studio and he was chucking a chair across the room, really channeling his inner rage.

Incredible stuff. I would kill to see the full footage or any studio footage tbh.

I don't think that was real

I remember seeing some amazing footage of MJ recording TDCAU in the studio and he was chucking a chair across the room, really channeling his inner rage.

That wasn't MJ. It's not even in the same studio where the vocals were recorded.

From Rob Hoffman, sound engineer who worked on HIStory:
Not sure where that was shot. The original vocal was recorded at the Hit Factory Studio 3, the studio in the video is not Hit Factory . . . .
[Source]

Apparently, the HIStory sessions weren't even filmed?
Q: 16 - Did Michael Jackson record his HIStory sessions with cams?
A: 16 - no cameras anywhere
[Source]

Actually if you go read that entire 37 page long thread [Page 1], it's absolutely chock-full of stories, trivia and information about MJ working in the studio by those who worked directly with Michael in the studio including, but not limited to, Rob Hoffman and Bill Bottrell. Bruce Swedien has posted on that forum many times but I don't believe he was still posting around the time those threads were made (and later merged together). Regardless, HIGHLY recommended read (y)

Last edited:
Then what about the studio footage of Michael recording 'Childhood' shown by Brad Sundberg?

There's also studio footage in i believe it's 'The One' documentary?

Studio footage that exhists... now of course we cannot always tell what's recorded for cameras and actual recording footage..

Of course the making of We Are The World/studio footage from The One Documentary/the footage of MJ recording IJCSLY and Just Good Friends with Stevie Wonder on Bad 25... The footage of MJ and Berry Gibbs in the studio for the song they did.. The interview with Billy Bush was in a recording studio.. ummmmm! let me thing. On and this...

small clip of "plotting Another Part of me and recording We Are Here To Change The World"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeitXK1jKaw

This what comes to mind, if any other i'll mention it

Great thread!! I always think about this. Here's what I believe ( I don't know for certain )

It depends on the album I think. For instance, during Off The Wall he was touring with his brothers around the time the album was being made, then with other work he was only really in the studio to put down vocals.

Then during Bad he was never out of the studio, whether it was at Hayvenhurst, Westlake or Red Wing, he worked solid for almost 2 years, not just putting vocals down but the conception, and he stayed to help produce with the session musicians, to vocalise exactly what he was hearing in his head to them.

Whereas with Invincible he was in and out of studios, but he mainly put the vocals down and left most of the time, depending on the producer he was working with. In the Invincible era I believe a lot of the conception period for the songs and the record itself where done over the phone, that's not to say he didn't do it in person as well. The children were rightly his main priority after 97.

I think on the whole he loved the studio setting, he loved creating, and that's why I think there is a lot of material left that we don't know about.

Back