How was Streetwalker strong enough for Bad?

Ontopic: I have to admit, the officially released version of Streetwalker (on Bad SE/Bad 25) sucks if compared to the rough mix from 1986.
Nah it doesn't, the 1986 demo is better, but it doesn't feel as funky and dance-able than the 1988, if the 1987 leaked, It would probably be the best out of all of them no doubt.

The 88 version lacks a good chorus, the 87 leak sounds better and the 86 demo has a different chorus that sounds meh

This would be my 2nd disc. Imagine fully finished, polished, mixed and mastered version of these songs. This would have been incredible.

1) Streetwalker
2) Come Together
3) Price of Fame
4) Chicago 1945
5) Scared Of The Moon or Someone Put Your Hand Out
6) Fly Away
7) I'm So Blue
8) Do You Know Where Your Children Are
9) Cheater
Was scared of the Moon and DYKWYCA from Bad era? I thought SOTM was thriller and DYKWYCA was from Dangerous...

Ontopic: I have to admit, the officially released version of Streetwalker (on Bad SE/Bad 25) sucks if compared to the rough mix from 1986.
Having heard the rough mix from 1986, I get why Streetwalker was close to getting on the record. The 86 mix has got so much energy and excitement than the released version.

Hopefully we hear the 87 mix in better quality, because that was my favourite so far

The 1988 version is better than the 1986 version for me, for 1, its finished, and 2, its much more aggressive, and fit Michael's new "Bad" persona he was throwing to the public. the 1987 version from what i can tell has a much better chorus, which the 1988 is lacking

you mean this?

this mix is the best in my opinion. is there a second different recording of this mix? the quality is so low :(
no its the only leak, the mix is just the 1988 version mixed

Simple answer: it wasn't. Quincy may have been off on some things (e.g. not seeing the potential of Smooth Criminal), but he was on the money when he pushed for the inclusion of APOM over Streetwalker. We can thank DiLeo shaking his ass to the former as well. It's an infinitely better song.

Streetwalker is a fun track, but I don't think it deserves a place on the album. Perhaps it could have worked in place of Just Good Friends as the joyous uptempo track of the album, but I still think JGF is better in that role.

Streetwalker is a fun track, but I don't think it deserves a place on the album. Perhaps it could have worked in place of Just Good Friends as the joyous uptempo track of the album, but I still think JGF is better in that role.
It could have found its way exclusivly on the cd version of the album as the 2nd bonus track.

but he was on the money when he pushed for the inclusion of APOM over Streetwalker.
I thought the story behind that was that MJ and Q couldn't decide between those two songs and IIRC from the 2001 special edition interviews Q said that it didn't make any difference to MJ what song made the album cause MJ wrote both songs himself.

But the real hero of the story was Frank Dileo for dancing to APOM. lol

Seeing so many people here prefer the 1986 demo in comparison to the 1988 mix doesn't surprise me, however, personally i'm waaay more into the '88 version, the aggressiveness of the vocals, the lower pitch (2 semitones lower than the '86 demo, wow), hell i love this song.
I do agree though, that maybe the 1987 version is the definitive one, i feel like it includes the good things from both the '86 and '88 mix.

Seeing so many people here prefer the 1986 demo in comparison to the 1988 mix doesn't surprise me, however, personally i'm waaay more into the '88 version, the aggressiveness of the vocals, the lower pitch (2 semitones lower than the '86 demo, wow), hell i love this song.
I do agree though, that maybe the 1987 version is the definitive one, i feel like it includes the good things from both the '86 and '88 mix.
I recall the 1987 version being 1 semitone lower than the 86 version and has the 88 chorus, but the funkiness of the 86 version. Sounds like a perfect balance

Honestly the best unreleased MJ tracks imo are:

1) Chicago 1945 (2021 Mix)
2) Streetwalker (1987 Mix)
3) Hot Street (1982)
4) Streetwalker (1988 Mix)
5) Price of Fame (1986)
6) Throwing You Life Away (Brad/Steve Mix)
7) Cheater (1987)
8) Do You Know Where Your Children (1987 Mix)
9) Nite-Line (1981)
10) Carousel (1982 Mix)

Honorable Mentions:

Loving You (1985)
Free (1987)
Sunset Driver (1982 Ver)
This Is It (I Never Heard) (2009 Mix)
Al Capone (1985-86)

My favorites not on regular/compilation albums/singles are hot street, she's trouble, nite line, Chicago 1945, I'm so blue, Carousel, scared of the moon, for all time and probably a bunch I forgot for now.

I have never liked the JGF…with S.Wonder…on the Bad album.I really wish that Streetwalker or Throwing Your Life Away was included instead.
JGF could have been included as bonus track on the cd edition.
Thinking of it I really dislike JGF….so weak compared to all other tracks on Bad.

Last edited:
Thinking of it I really dislike JGF….so weak compared to all other tracks on Bad.
So are Why You Wanna Trip on Me, She Drives Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away on Dangerous, but they were included anyway.

So are Why You Wanna Trip on Me, She Drives Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away on Dangerous, but they were included anyway.
I really like the first one but the other two could be deleted from Dangerous and I wouldnt mind.

Reactions: MJ5
I really like the first one but the other two could be deleted from Dangerous and I wouldnt mind.
Never listened to any of them more than thrice.

Although Bad is my favorite album and I really like it overall, I've already heard people say Speed Demon and JGF are fillers. I can respect that, but in that sense, the fillers on Bad are way better than the fillers on Dangerous.

you mean this?

this mix is the best in my opinion. is there a second different recording of this mix? the quality is so low :(
How can anyone listening to this…awful distortion sound so cant say if this version is poor or good or much different from what we have heard previously.

Never listened to any of them more than thrice.

Although Bad is my favorite album and I really like it overall, I've already heard people say Speed Demon and JGF are fillers. I can respect that, but in that sense, the fillers on Bad are way better than the fillers on Dangerous.
That is probably because Quincy Jones is a better producer than Teddy Riley.
I have never liked the JGF…with S.Wonder…on the Bad album.I really wish that Streetwalker or Throwing Your Life Away was included instead.
JGF could have been included as bonus track on the cd edition.
It has been said that Michael Jackson wanted a high-profile duet on his 'BAD' album, which seems to explain why he included that duet song with Stevie Wonder.

Note that he had already tried that with Prince ('BAD' song) and also with Barbra Streisand and Whitney Houston ('I Just Can't Stop Loving You' song), but all of them rejected his invitation.

It has been said that Michael Jackson wanted a high-profile duet on his 'BAD' album, which seems to explain why he included that duet song with Stevie Wonder.
I think it was a returned favor that fitted MJ's wish (afaik Get It was recorded before Just Good Friends).

I think it was a returned favor that fitted MJ's wish (afaik Get It was recorded before Just Good Friends).
Really? I didn't know that.

Someone on here (I can't remember who sorry) said that Get It was recorded in Tokyo when MJ was on the Bad Tour, after the Bad album was released. I'd not heard that to be honest

Back