I Am a Fan, But... (What Makes You Heretic Among Other Fans?)

I am a Fan but I AM NOT A MOONWALKER. I really don't understand why fans always say "i am a moonwalker" those fan-names are just very very very awkward and childish to me. Same with names of other fans like "beliebers" (justin bieber fans)...

Just WHY!?

I am a Fan but I AM NOT A MOONWALKER. I really don't understand why fans always say "i am a moonwalker" those fan-names are just very very very awkward and childish to me. Same with names of other fans like "beliebers" (justin bieber fans)...

Just WHY!?

Something coined by teen fans on Twitter/Instagram. It's not a real thing by any means.

Just WHY!?

lol agreed!!!!

yeah this 'moonwalker' thing is new.. Michael never really gave a name to his fans.. Hes stated "you are my soldiers of love" which caught on a littttle.. but not really! OR was it "army of love".. well whatever! we don't have a fandom name.. We're just simply Michael Jackson fans

I think the "The Girl Is Mine" demo is way better than the Album Version.. i mean that guitar-lick in the demo is awesome. And all the strings which reminds me of old disney movies.. way better.

I think the "The Girl Is Mine" demo is way better than the Album Version.. i mean that guitar-lick in the demo is awesome. And all the strings which reminds me of old disney movies.. way better.

I've definitely always thought this as well, if I ever listen to that song it is the demo version.

The Girl Is Mine Demo would have been perfect for an acoustic concert

I believe that the 'behind the mask' demo is fake, and that Michael's vocals were recorded a few years after the 'thriller' sessions, not during them.

I don't believe 'sunset driver' was recorded during 'off the wall'. probably 'triumph', or a year or two after.

aside from 'thriller', rod temperton contributed the worst songs on the album.

i'm glad that Michael didn't finish or release the music with Freddie mercury.

Just WHY!?

This. Moonwalker is really a bad name. Tbh, all these fandom names are terrible. I don't understand why fandoms need to have a name. Can't you just call yourself Michael Jackson fans? Why do you have to call yourself moonwalkers, which is a stupid and cringy name.

I believe that the 'behind the mask' demo is fake, and that Michael's vocals were recorded a few years after the 'thriller' sessions, not during them.

I don't believe 'sunset driver' was recorded during 'off the wall'. probably 'triumph', or a year or two after.

aside from 'thriller', rod temperton contributed the worst songs on the album.

i'm glad that Michael didn't finish or release the music with Freddie mercury.

Can I ask what the reason for the last point is?

Can I ask what the reason for the last point is?

I simply dislike 'state of shock' (no matter who he sings it with) and 'there must be more to life than this' (although he sounds beautiful here). I also dislike the voice and music of Freddie mercury/queen. therefore, I have no interest in hearing the remaining collaboration; 'victory'.

just me and my unpopular opinion(s) :)

I simply dislike 'state of shock' (no matter who he sings it with) and 'there must be more to life than this' (although he sounds beautiful here). I also dislike the voice and music of Freddie mercury/queen. therefore, I have no interest in hearing the remaining collaboration; 'victory'.

just me and my unpopular opinion(s) :)

You dislike Freddie Mercury's voice? :cry: The man was possibly the greatest male singer of all time.

- I think Michael's performance of Earth Song at Brit Awards 1996 was just embarrassing and extremely arrogant. I don't obviously support Jarvis Cocker intruding the stage during Michael's performance, but I can see why the performance could have annoyed him.

yeah this 'moonwalker' thing is new.. Michael never really gave a name to his fans.. Hes stated "you are my soldiers of love" which caught on a littttle.. but not really! OR was it "army of love".. well whatever! we don't have a fandom name.. We're just simply Michael Jackson fans

I consider myself a ''MOONWALKER'' I think thats a cute name for us :)

I don't think Vincent price needed to be on 'thriller' at all. he turned a spooky and fun song into something unnecessarily dark. plus, the song was too long at almost 6 minutes!
this is the version I listen to. wish it was the official one
I prefer the short version of the 'thriller' film too. the story is still intact, but it focuses more on what I feel is the centrepiece; the dance. saves me from having to fast forward through the unpleasant parts. wish it featured the walk with ola though..

- I think Michael's performance of Earth Song at Brit Awards 1996 was just embarrassing and extremely arrogant.

Wow. This is controversial. I've never seen such a thing said by a fan before. I don't think Michael had an arrogant bone in his body. People often misunderstood and misinterpreted what he was trying to say in performances like that one and really Jarvis Cocker was the arrogant, idiotic one, for sure.

I think Michael Jackson's voice was far more versatile than Freddy Mercury's. Michael could sing different genres from pop to rock to rnb, disco, to funk. Freddy as a great, powerful rock voice, but he's pretty much just limited to that genre (as far as I know). Could you imagine Freddy singing songs like Liberian Girl, Stranger In Moscow and Don't Stop Til You Get Enough? Cause I can't. His voice just isn't right for those songs. But I think Michael could have pulled of songs like Another One Bits The Dust and We Will Rock You. Songs like Dirty Diana and Give Into me shows that Michael had the grit and power to pull of rock music.

Me too. I'm not impressed with Freddie Mercury's voice. I have never understood what all the fuss is about.

same here. I can respect the legacies of other artists - even if I don't care for their music. it's just that I don't think Michael had any peers. in terms of Freddie, the two of them were only around each other for a short amount of time. their projects were not completed. I have no idea why some act as if the two of them were a packaged deal. same goes for prince and Madonna. they may have all been popular around the same time (not as much as Michael obviously), but they were all completely different artists and people.

I don't obsess over, or even acknowledge the tragedies in Michael's life. I watch and listen to him because he makes me feel happy and inspired. the only 'battle' I have is trying to enjoy him in fan spaces.

for example; I was watching the 'don't stop til you get enough' video. a video of Michael dancing, singing.. doing what he does best :) no scandal, no drama.. I then made the mistake of scrolling through the comments...

most of them were about death, drugs, allegations, skin disease, child paternity, surgery, etc.. none of these topics had anything to do with the video they were under. yet it seems to be the same wherever you go. there's no escaping it! it doesn't matter if it's social media or other fan sites.

why do some people love misery?! a lot of them wouldn't even be here had it not been for those awful events, that all contributed to his untimely demise. it's the very reason why I don't embrace the second half of his career. for me he will always be frozen in time as the positive 24 year old who was not only at his peak, but on the verge of discovering so much more. yet some fans feel as though he had to experience agony in order to produce meaningful content. as if he wasn't doing that already(!) as if the darkness he went through was pre-destined (!)

I see more preoccupation with fighting 'enemies' than actually *enjoying* the gift he left behind; his art. that's sad, and I don't relate at all.

I see more preoccupation with fighting 'enemies' than actually *enjoying* the gift he left behind; his art. That's sad.

I agree with and respect the opinion you expressed in your entire post, but especially the last section. Almost ten years on from Michael's death, I think FANS in particular need to turn that corner and get back to ENJOYING what Michael left behind for them. In his life, MJ wanted most of all to make people happy through escapism - any preoccupation with the negative side of his life is counter-productive to that endeavour.

exactly. he achieved his goal of immortalisation through his art. he can be enjoyed for generations to come. I think fans should celebrate and embody his philosophy of global unity. that would be a positive legacy to leave behind that would also honour him in the process.

yet unfortunately I've seen fans mock and brand songs like 'we are the world' and 'can you feel it' as 'unrealistic' and 'problematic'. not understanding that as far back as the late '70's with songs like 'man of war' (I know he didn't write it, but still..), and his interviews with 'jet' magazine, he's always spoken out against injustice, whilst desiring peace and unity at the same time. the two can co-exist. he wasn't a separatist.

there's a conscious rebranding of Michael that started right after he died. everybody is trying to mould him into their image, instead of accepting him as he was. this is the fanbase that i'd least expect to be so fractured

There's a conscious rebranding of Michael that started right after he died. everybody is trying to mold him into their image, instead of accepting him as he was. This is the fanbase that i'd least expect to be so fractured

Absolutely and I could not agree more. It is THIS, that has turned so many good people away from the fandom, over the years, in my opinion. One of my friends, who walked away from the online fan community about four years ago, said something very interesting. She said that she was going to go BACK to loving Michael "in her own head" and in her own way......just as she used to, before he passed away. She said that she wanted to feel free in her love of him....free to just BE and to let Michael BE, as well. I definitely understand where she was coming from.

Although the thread has taken a most interesting and rather serious turn, I’d rather play ostrich and ignore the burdensome issues for a little while. It’s the time of the year to leave the cares behind and just be jolly and basket in the celebrations all around us. Therefore, I’ll rewind the thread back a couple of pages or so, if y’all don’t mind it terribly.

dam2040;4232170 said:
Just Good Friends is one of the funkiest, and best songs on the 'Bad' album.
I completely agree :kickass: One of the funkiest numbers on Bad or just about any of the albums, far as I'm concerned. Love it, love it, love it :heart:

KOPV;4232481 said:

That's true, Michael didn't start off the whole mooNwalkers trend, but he might have called us MOOwalkers once LOL. Just kiddin', just kidding, he didn't. Although I'm sure he was very grateful for all the love and support he received over all the years, hysteria, overly vivid imaginations and over the top impersonators notwithstanding.......I think he even considered us an extended family of sorts, exactly because of the endurance and the support.

And btw of fans, although I have over a quarter of a century of loving the man, I can hardly claim I am his #1 fan. I’ll be the first one to admit I’m quite rubbish at moonwalking; but then again, high heels aren’t the proper footwear for it, are they? I also haven’t got the slightest clue how many concerts the Victory tour had or what’s the 4th song on Off the wall.

[video=youtube;aBs96uofBog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBs96uofBog&ab_channel=MJJFan3[/video]

Forget #1 fan. I’m right at the very end of the queue, I’m more like fan #773564367.

Oh, and did I mention I really, really love Just good friends?
7-zpsimgbc1ly.gif
Btw, I don’t know what number the song is on Bad, but I definitely love it :D

Last edited:
-HIStory is painfully underrated for many in this community and frankly, can't see why. They don't care about us, Earth Song, You are not alone are TRUE masterpieces.

Can't agree with "YANA" as a masterpiece. To me this song is only one of those 4 chord mainstream songs. And to be clear.. the song does have one of the most used 4 chord-progression in History of Nr. 1 Hits... To me that's not a masterpiece.

Can't agree with "YANA" as a masterpiece. To me this song is only one of those 4 chord mainstream songs. And to be clear.. the song does have one of the most used 4 chord-progression in History of Nr. 1 Hits... To me that's not a masterpiece.

I used to like that song but I honestly just find it really annoying now.

Back