I wonder if we are ever going to see the Man in the Mirror performance from United We Stand (2001)

And what you expect from a very medicated person? :)

But even this, the MSG Billie Jean performance is my ultimate favourite... :)

I don't know if he was on a lot of drugs or painkillers or whatever but if this is true what you say then it is further proof that he was doing things he didn't want to do. If you don't feel up for it (performing) then don't do it. He was pressurized to do all kinds of things he most likely didn't want to do (like making pop music or doing the HIStory tour)

Just because someone taking medicine doesn't always means it have to deal with the medicine their taking. we all knew Michael was talking medication but you can tell he didn't look so good.

in my opinion the 30th anniversary was kind of sluggish yes he did great on that billie jean performance but you can tell something wasn't right. this already was talk about in another thread a few months ago.

What bugs me the most about the 30th Anniversary show is the “You Rock My World” performance, which could have been so much better than what turned out. What was with the black jacket with white pants? It could have been a combination of Dangerous/Smooth Criminal (outfits and choreography) and The Way You Make Me Feel (concept of song itself), even though that song was already performed. The song had live potential, and it was wasted. I know there was little time to draft a fresh performance of the song, given that Michael gave an impromptu enaction of it on the first show, but still, he could have at least worn the outfit for that song like in the music video. Also, this seems like a song performed with a head microphone, not a hand one.

Serious Effect;4305216 said:
What bugs me the most about the 30th Anniversary show is the “You Rock My World” performance, which could have been so much better than what turned out. It could have been a combination of Dangerous/Smooth Criminal (outfits and choreography) and The Way You Make Me Feel (concept of song itself), even though that song was already performed. The song had live potential, and it was wasted.
Oh, I bet if he went on tour, he would have did more with it.

Watching those 30th anniversary concerts really shows how outdated the early 2000's has become. People take jabs at the 80's for being dated, but early 2000's feels even more outdated to me.

Watching those 30th anniversary concerts really shows how outdated the early 2000's has become. People take jabs at the 80's for being dated, but early 2000's feels even more outdated to me.
Before September 11, America was definitely a different nation.

9/11 really changed alot of things and i'm from America. if 9/11 never happen i think this country probably would have been different as of probably better but sigh we can't change history. hopefully in the next 100 years it will be better. i don't know.

everyone have their own taste of things. my mom loves things from the 50's and 60's but she wasn't born in those eras.

every decade, generation, and century has their bad and good. none of them are perfect and everyone is different.

i wish i had a time machine to go back to the 70's,80's, and 90's. everything was much simpler and people were more creative compare now. all the legends are dying and we stuck with people who just want their opinions cross. which understandable but why everything has be about one person or thing.

9/11 was tragic, but my post wasn't about what happened before and after that. I was talking about what was considered trendy in the early 00's (From 2000 to 2002). There's just something about the time period that really stands out and makes it feel outdated to me.

But we're getting way off topic now.

9/11 was tragic, but my post wasn't about what happened before and after that. I was talking about what was considered trendy in the early 00's (From 2000 to 2002). There's just something about the time period that really stands out and makes it feel outdated to me.
Yeah, so much can change in just twenty years.

i always felt the early 2000's was basically still the 90's until like 04-07 like. like the early 90's was basically still the 80's until 96-97 like.

i agree the 00's was kind of weird during the beginning in any new decade but let's also realize it was a new 100 years.

like someone said before on this forum i think michael wasn't really for it and was trying to find ways to deal with it. which i also agree.

Serious Effect;4305216 said:
What bugs me the most about the 30th Anniversary show is the “You Rock My World” performance, which could have been so much better than what turned out. What was with the black jacket with white pants? It could have been a combination of Dangerous/Smooth Criminal (outfits and choreography) and The Way You Make Me Feel (concept of song itself), even though that song was already performed. The song had live potential, and it was wasted.

I'm 99% positive "You Rock My World" was thrown into the show during the first night.

Check out this amateur footage when you get a chance. After Michael tells the audience to pick the next song, somebody in the front row suggests "You Rock My World," and the crowd seems pretty onboard. Michael yells, "Hit it!" but somebody in the band (most likely musical director Greg Phillinganes) says something to him. Michael quickly pivots to, "We'll do it in a little bit." Then, when he starts performing, the background singers sound like they've never heard the song before and are singing it for the first time. Then, during the second show, everything is far stronger, with better vocals and background dancers (though the choreography is terrible and looks as though it was thrown together quickly).

I suspect that Michael decided to do "You Rock My World" last minute, and somebody had to throw together a haphazard arrangement while Michael finished the pre-planned set. Then, in the three days between shows, the band figured the track out and a dance was cut together.

I'm 99% positive "You Rock My World" was thrown into the show during the first night.

Check out this amateur footage when you get a chance. After Michael tells the audience to pick the next song, somebody in the front row suggests "You Rock My World," and the crowd seems pretty onboard. Michael yells, "Hit it!" but somebody in the band (most likely musical director Greg Phillinganes) says something to him. Michael quickly pivots to, "We'll do it in a little bit." Then, when he starts performing, the background singers sound like they've never heard the song before and are singing it for the first time. Then, during the second show, everything is far stronger, with better vocals and background dancers (though the choreography is terrible and looks as though it was thrown together quickly).

I suspect that Michael decided to do "You Rock My World" last minute, and somebody had to throw together a haphazard arrangement while Michael finished the pre-planned set. Then, in the three days between shows, the band figured the track out and a dance was cut together.
I literally said the bolded parts in my post >

I know there was little time to draft a fresh performance of the song, given that Michael gave an impromptu enaction of it on the first show, but still, he could have at least worn the outfit for that song like in the music video.

But yeah, I've seen the first show shot from the audience before. The performance of You Rock My World there is probably the only time, if not one of a few times, Michael has ever embraced spontaneity in a performance. He always relied on rehearsals and planning to give the audience the best show possible, given his perfectionist character, and I can't blame him after viewing the first performance of You Rock My World. I just wish an actual performance of it in a style similar to the music video was done since that song has live performance potential.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he planned to perform You Rock My World. The band had obviously rehearsed it and they had the playback ready.

The whole thing of letting the audience pick a song was just a way for them to feel involved with the show. I'm pretty sure that Michael had You Rock My World ready to go no matter what the audience shouted.

I find it hard to believe that ‘You Rock My World’ was a last minute decision, and not a song that was planned from the very beginning along with the rest of the performed songs for the 2001 MSG shows.

About the member of the audience in the front row that picked that song, it looks like that this was just a staged thing (Michael Jackson, when performing, used to stage such things and to make them look spontaneous).

‘You Rock My World’ apparently was also planned as a way to get some famous people on stage to dance with each other (when the song re-started).

After all, ‘You Rock My World’ was his first single from that album, and the two 2001 MSG shows without that song would both have been incomplete.

I can just imagine this happening

Michael: ''I never do this, but you pick the next song''
Every single person in the audience: ''WHO IS IT''
Michael: ''So, you want You Rock My World?''
Audience: ''YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHH!!''

Since playback vocals was ready there is NO WAY it was spontanius in my opinion.

It was meant to look like it was just a member in the audience who wanted it. But it makes no sense.

I believe it was a last minute decision - maybe a day or two before, but not the same day. Surely the band knew the song and the drummer has to play from the playback, so it can not be a thing just spontaniuosly happend - that would have been amazing though - cause then it would have been sung live.

Since playback vocals was ready there is NO WAY it was spontanius in my opinion.

It was meant to look like it was just a member in the audience who wanted it. But it makes no sense.

I believe it was a last minute decision - maybe a day or two before, but not the same day. Surely the band knew the song and the drummer has to play from the playback, so it can not be a thing just spontaniuosly happend - that would have been amazing though - cause then it would have been sung live.

It did have some live adlibs. So that's something

I just struggle to believe that Michael would have staged spontaneity, though. He’s never done that as far as I’m concerned, at least like in the 30th Anniversary show apparently.

Lots has been said about spontaneity but I doubt there is actually true spontaneity during concerts. What looks spontaneous is rehearsed. I remember reading about a Bruce Springsteen concert that appeared to be spontaneous but actually was very well rehearsed, it is basically acting. There simply is no room for such things, everybody has to be in on the act or it 'll look like shit.
Audience picking songs sounds like fun but it is rather well calculated I reckon, if you take into account perhaps up to 30 songs are rehearsed for a concert there is always room for some "fake" spontaneity. You can't just ask your band to start playing any song you want it will sound like a mess, music is rehearsing till perfection.

Serious Effect;4305333 said:
I just struggle to believe that Michael would have staged spontaneity, though. He’s never done that as far as I’m concerned, at least like in the 30th Anniversary show apparently.

He did before Human Nature on Victory Tour.

Some more pictures of this performance.

https://imgbb.com/

This performance is definitely special. It being the final performance of this song is enough alone to make me want to see it. This and a proper recording of What More Can I Give live. There are so few performances after 2000, I wanna see them all! :tongue:

Last edited:
Some said a short amateur footage is out there in the early 2000s.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of these.

I think the security check for metal parts is way more serious after the 9/11 at that time. Way difficult to bring a camera there.

Serious Effect;4305333 said:

Believe it or not, Michael Jackson had already staged spontaneity on some other occasions as well during his shows.

Apart from that one (the member from the audience who apparently was instructed to pick ‘You Rock My World’), here are three more:

The bug, fake incident right before the ‘J5 Medley’ (during the HIStory Tour), which was confirmed by fan reports that it happened also in other 1997 HIStory shows, aside the Leipzig show.

His fake, emotional breakdown right after performing the ‘J5 Medley’ in his concerts.

Or even the fake incident about the police officer who furiously entered the stage in order to remove people from there, during the ‘Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)’ performance of The Jacksons at the American Bandstand in 1979.

Last edited:
All was recorded and edited in order to be broadcasted.
ABC and Estate can easily upload it on YouTube or sell a BluRay, but they are not interested in pleasing fans with earn-less stuff.

I am pretty sure MITM 2001 is NOT the best performance of the song.. if you listen to the Audio MJs vocals are horrible.. sorry.. worse then on the history tour.
Sure it would be nice to see it.. but i really don't care about it so much.. And i am pretty sure collectors have that video.. cause where is the audio coming from? ;)

What was with the black jacket with white pants?

He wore the white ones because the black one ripped on the songs before.

I don't think anyone has said the 2001 performance of MITM is the best performance of the song. It's just something that fans are interested in seeing

Back