I wonder if we are ever going to see the Man in the Mirror performance from United We Stand (2001)

Serious Effect;4305014 said:
Why wasn't it broadcasted on ABC?

Snek;4305016 said:
I believe it was an exclusivity deal with whatever company aired the 30th Anniversary Shows that prevented this performance being shown.

That was due to legal conflicts between two competing channels, ABC and CBS.

ABC aired the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ benefit concert at that time, but Michael Jackson had to cut his ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance from that ABC broadcast.

The reason (that he cut his performance from that ABC broadcast) was because the competing CBS channel had already signed an agreement to air in the same month (November) his 2001 MSG Anniversary Show.

There was a stipulation that these two competing channels could not air these two different performances of him so close in the same month.

His ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance on ABC was not re-scheduled to air later, thus it has remained shelved in ABC media archives until these days.

In spite of the agreements made between him and CBS (and I guess ABC), I personally think it was an insult to Michael for withdrawing his solo performance from the show's broadcast given that he organized the event itself. Even if it may not be his strongest performance, it is still his last ever "live" performance of Man In The Mirror. Why would I not want to watch that?

I don't think anyone has said the 2001 performance of MITM is the best performance of the song. It's just something that fans are interested in seeing

Precisely. Some fans are hell bent on destroying MJs performances for no reason. Just enjoy them for what they are.

mj_frenzy;4305540 said:
That was due to legal conflicts between two competing channels, ABC and CBS.

ABC aired the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ benefit concert at that time, but Michael Jackson had to cut his ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance from that ABC broadcast.

The reason (that he cut his performance from that ABC broadcast) was because the competing CBS channel had already signed an agreement to air in the same month (November) his 2001 MSG Anniversary Show.

There was a stipulation that these two competing channels could not air these two different performances of him so close in the same month.

His ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance on ABC was not re-scheduled to air later, thus it has remained shelved in ABC media archives until these days.

So, in all this time ABC never tried to re-air this footage? Even when it was MJ everywhere for most of 2009? What a shame.

I would love nothing more than to see a release of Man In The Mirror from 2001. It is by far my favourite performance of Michael and was my highlight of both Bad and Dangerous Tours. Usually, I am not a fan of lip-synced performances, but I can make exceptions for Man In The Mirror.

It's a shame that Michael Jackson's very last and and penultimate performances aren't available in full. For someone who is the greatest performer of all time, you wouldn't expect that to be the case.

Last edited:
Me neither. Invincible at one point was outselling Thriller. “Needed to be relevant” my ass.
Michael Jackson himself would disagree with you.
He always followed trends to stay relevant after the 80's. He did bring his own taste to it but he still followed them trends.As is it normal if you want to sell records.
It's not debatable at all

Michael Jackson himself would disagree with you.
He always followed trends to stay relevant after the 80's. He did bring his own taste to it but he still followed them trends.As is it normal if you want to sell records.
It's not debatable at all
It’s not worth debating with someone who likes and supports such obvious BS takes. You’re right there.

It’s not worth debating with someone who likes and supports such obvious BS takes. You’re right there.
Okay,maybe I was bit a wrong there.
Jackson didn't need to stay relevant or something,but to sell records and all that stuff,he still followed trends while recording his albums:
1. He followed the New Jaz Swing musical trend( who was anything but a new thing in late 1991) and as a result his Dangerous album has half of its tracklist full of New Jaz Swing songs,produced by the one who created the musical style :Teddy Riley.
Michael didn't invent New Jaz Swing,Teddy Riley did. Teddy Riley produced half of Dangerous,so in that aspect Mike obviously followed trends musically (and again as a result,the Teddy Riley produced track "Remember The Time" ,a New Jaz Swing song,became a Jackson classic). Maybe Mike didn't need to stay relevant,but as you see here he still followed a trend that was popular back then....a musical trend he didn't create. And it's logical he did so,since he was obsessed with his music staying at the top of the charts. Something we can all agree on,right?
That's what I was reffering to!

Seeing the fact that MJ went with what was popular at the time presented as a negative thing and something to disagree with is kinda baffling to me tbh.

Okay,maybe I was bit a wrong there.
Jackson didn't need to stay relevant or something,but to sell records and all that stuff,he still followed trends while recording his albums:
1. He followed the New Jaz Swing musical trend( who was anything but a new thing in late 1991) and as a result his Dangerous album has half of its tracklist full of New Jaz Swing songs,produced by the one who created the musical style :Teddy Riley.
Michael didn't invent New Jaz Swing,Teddy Riley did. Teddy Riley produced half of Dangerous,so in that aspect Mike obviously followed trends musically (and again as a result,the Teddy Riley produced track "Remember The Time" ,a New Jaz Swing song,became a Jackson classic). Maybe Mike didn't need to stay relevant,but as you see here he still followed a trend that was popular back then....a musical trend he didn't create. And it's logical he did so,since he was obsessed with his music staying at the top of the charts. Something we can all agree on,right?
That's what I was reffering to!
Bad should've been a new jack swing album. I think it would've sold more as well

So, in all this time ABC never tried to re-air this footage? Even when it was MJ everywhere for most of 2009? What a shame.
Not to mention CBS being related to Sony and MJ being an exclusive to them.

Lots has been said about spontaneity but I doubt there is actually true spontaneity during concerts. What looks spontaneous is rehearsed. I remember reading about a Bruce Springsteen concert that appeared to be spontaneous but actually was very well rehearsed, it is basically acting. There simply is no room for such things, everybody has to be in on the act or it 'll look like shit.
Audience picking songs sounds like fun but it is rather well calculated I reckon, if you take into account perhaps up to 30 songs are rehearsed for a concert there is always room for some "fake" spontaneity. You can't just ask your band to start playing any song you want it will sound like a mess, music is rehearsing till perfection.
I disagree. How is it 'fake spontaneity' to rehearse tons of songs ahead of a tour and to throw them in spontaneously on the night?

You mention Springsteen, he's a good example actually. He crafts the setlist for his show on the day (it's different for every show) and passes it on to his band a few hours before showtime. But on stage he still regularly deviates from it. That can be because he feels like throwing in an audible himself, but he also takes sign requests during shows. Sometimes he'll pick a sign for a song the band knows well anyway, or has soundchecked recently. But he'll also pick things the band hasn't played in a long time. In other words, he keeps his band on their toes at all times. Prince used to be the same way. A well-rehearsed and experienced band can handle that.

The reason many pop shows do not feature spontaneity is because there are often way more variables involved, due to the use of extensive choreography, special lighting, video effects, and for many acts also lip-synced vocals, etc. Obviously, the more of these aspects involved in the show, the harder it becomes to do something spontaneously. And some acts just do not prefer it or are not up for it, of course - it's just simpler to stick to a predetermined, consistent setlist.

Last edited:
Back