If everyone in the world was polled on their favourite Michael Jackson song, what would win?

It would be Billie Jean. It's his more recognizable song and one that everyone from your grandma to your 2 year old son would know. More interesting picks would be the top 3-5 which I think would be Beat It, Black or White, Thriller. Maybe Earth Song cracks the 5 in the UK because that song was apparently his biggest ever hit over there.

Human Nature I would wish and I think Billie Jean would win out though

These would probably be the top 4 answers

Billie Jean
Thriller (Mainly because of the short film)
Beat It
Man In The Mirror

That's a pretty bold statement, what 30 songs do you consider to be better than Billie Jean?
Not him, but this is legit the hardest moral dilemma as a fan, ranking his songs is really fucking hard. I'll try

1. We are the World - USA For Africa
  2. Stranger in Moscow - History
  3. Remember the Time (Extended MV version) - Dangerous
  4. Earth Song - History
  5. They Don't Care About Us - History
  6. Give into Me - Dangerous
  7. Smooth Criminal - Bad
  8. Black or White - Dangerous
  9. Who Is It - Dangerous
  10. Dangerous - Dangerous
  11. We've Had Enough - Invincible Outtake
  12. Ghosts - BITDF
  13. Man in the Mirror - Bad
  14. You Rock my World - Invincible
  15. Is it Scary (w/Ad-Libs) - BITDF
  16. In the Closet - Dangerous
  17. Blood on the Dance Floor - BITDF
  18. Heal the World - Dangerous
  19. Wanna be Startin Something - Thriller
  20. Thriller - Thriller
  21. Torture - The Jackson 5
  22. Childhood - History
  23. Heartbreak Hotel - Bad era
  24. Beat It - Thriller
  25. Dancing Machine - The Jackson 5
  26. The Love you Save - The Jackson 5
  27. Rock With You - Off the Wall
  28. Gone Too Soon - Dangerous
  29. Billie Jean - Thriller
  30. What more can i Give - Invincible Outtake

Last edited:
Not him, but this is legit the hardest moral dilemma as a fan, ranking his songs is really fucking hard. I'll try

1. We are the World - USA For Africa
  2. Stranger in Moscow - History
  3. Remember the Time (Extended MV version) - Dangerous
  4. Earth Song - History
  5. They Don't Care About Us - History
  6. Give into Me - Dangerous
  7. Smooth Criminal - Bad
  8. Black or White - Dangerous
  9. Who Is It - Dangerous
  10. Dangerous - Dangerous
  11. We've Had Enough - Invincible Outtake
  12. Ghosts - BITDF
  13. Man in the Mirror - Bad
  14. You Rock my World - Invincible
  15. Is it Scary (w/Ad-Libs) - BITDF
  16. In the Closet - Dangerous
  17. Blood on the Dance Floor - BITDF
  18. Heal the World - Dangerous
  19. Wanna be Startin Something - Thriller
  20. Thriller - Thriller
  21. Torture - The Jackson 5
  22. Childhood - History
  23. Heartbreak Hotel - Bad era
  24. Beat It - Thriller
  25. Dancing Machine - The Jackson 5
  26. The Love you Save - The Jackson 5
  27. Rock With You - Off the Wall
  28. Gone Too Soon - Dangerous
  29. Billie Jean - Thriller
  30. What more can i Give - Invincible Outtake
Hmmm not a fan of your list if I'm being honest.

Billie Jean is arguably his most famous and best track , so to see it ranked behind the majority of those songs loses credibility for me.

We are the world as number 1 - for me it wouldn't even be ranked in top 30, it's a cheesy lesser version of do they know it's Christmas.

Doesn't matter what I think though, we're all different and if those are your top 30 I respect that

Billie Jean is arguably his most famous and best track , so to see it ranked behind the majority of those songs loses credibility for me.

We are the world as number 1 - for me it wouldn't even be ranked in top 30, it's a cheesy lesser version of do they know it's Christmas.

Doesn't matter what I think though, we're all different and if those are your top 30 I respect that
The live version of Billie Jean is the GOAT, i much prefer that to the slower album version

1. Heal the World - Dangerous
  2. Torture - The Jackson 5
  3. Childhood - History
  4. Gone Too Soon - Dangerous

delighted to see these included

I am not sure what other people experience but here in Australia, if a Michael Jackson song makes the dancefloor, there's a 9/10 chance it's Billie Jean - other possibilities are, Rock With You if it's a more laid back vibe, Don't stop til you get enough depending on the crowd, You Rock My world, sometimes for younger crowds, heard it remixed a few times, and then followed by Beat It, Thriller in Halloween, The Way You Make Me Feel. Smooth Criminal sometimes, but rarely.

I think on radio you're more likely to hear Black or White or The Way You make Me Feel than some of the others I listed. I've even heard Remember The Time and Scream here or there. You are not alone gets a bit of an honourable mention, as does Man in the Mirror.

I've legitimately never heard Dirty Diana on the radio, which is interesting given it was a pretty big hit and a song I rank in his top 10.

Some people might actually say Love Never Felt So Good, idk. They act like it's a top 10 track.

We are the World is soulful and uplifting.

Back