If he were alive, would Michael be directing Star Wars?

AO98

Proud Member
From the title, you may be thinking I'm crazy, but hear me out.

From what I understand, one of Michael's biggest hopes for the future was to direct movies. And considering he was said to be a fan of Star Wars (and actually tried to get a certain role I refuse to acknowledge in The Phantom Menace) and was also good friends with George Lucas and Disney, I was wondering: Would he be interested in directing some of the new Star Wars movies?

I'm sure he would be interested on being a part of Star Wars but it wouldn't have happened...

Michael was very much into the short films genre, not to mention he did a couple of feature films as well. Although being closely involved in the making of all his projects, a dedicated director was always present. I'm assuming directing a movie like Star Wars would obviously be a daunting task, even if he were interested to do so. But the talent he was, he could've probably accomplished it, who knows! :)

This wasnt a thread I was expecting I must admit.

MJ may have gone into films, but I'd say its more likely that he wouldnt have been directing it than him actually directing it.

MJ would have always drifted back to music and musical film in the end.

As a HUGE fan of Star Wars and (obviously) MJ, I can't see it happening TBH. It is hard to judge because Michael never really directed anything of note in his life... ...but still I have a really hard time seeing this happen. Feels like a very unusual combination...

Yeah as others have said it's hard to judge. I wouldn't think so, personally, no.

Sorry to say but I doubt that between 2009-2016 Michael would have built a resume important enough for the decision makers trust him with a movie like Star Wars.. To be honest that is an undertaking I don't think he would even want to take.. Something like that he'd like to act in more so I think...

Sorry to say but I doubt that between 2009-2016 Michael would have built a resume important enough for the decision makers trust him with a movie like Star Wars.. To be honest that is an undertaking I don't think he would even want to take.. Something like that he'd like to act in more so I think...

Yeah especially thinking about how much was riding on The Force Awakens, that could have totally ruined the franchise if done badly.

I'm sure he would be interested on being a part of Star Wars but it wouldn't have happened...

Yeah pretty much this. I don't think Michael was a very talented actor in the grand scheme of things and like you said I don't think he would have been able to direct it.

He had not experience in directing movies so I hope not. They movies would have been bad. I think Star Wars movies should be directed by good directors. :)

maybe if he had gotten into directing seriously, and had some experience. if not, I doubt they wold let anyone who had never tried it, direct a big movie like that. that wouldn't make sense :blink:

I waited all my life for what was to become "The Force Awakens" and I hate what all they did with it! If anything it was just a retelling of Episode 4!!! Wow! I did not wait all of my life that!!! Rrrrrr! Well, I THINK that I have rather higher hopes for the one coming out soon though...I despise what J.J. Abrams did with "The Force Awakens".

I like to believe that he'd be making, like others said, behind the scenes, raising his children, supporting charity. Maybe having his own fashion line. Probably something like that. Actually a fashion line would be amazing, clothes designed by the King himself, affordable and appropriate for everyone. It would have these typical MJ influences like belts or badges. How cool would that have been!

I just saw this quote, and it made me think of this thread...

"What you don´t know about me is how much I love film and art and I want to
direct so badly. I could scream, I want to show the world through the eyes of a
child because I understand them so much. Their pain and their joy and their
laughter and what hurts them. And I see the world through their eyes and I want
to portrait that on film. That´s my real passion. I love it. It´s too much."
- Michael Jackson -

^^ I imagine that's just one of the reasons Michael loved 'To Kill A Mockingbird' so much.
Steven Spielberg was great for directing movies through the eyes of children, but before him Francois Truffaut was a master at it. I think Michael would have been great at it.

I wonder if Michael got the chance to see 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.' Heartbreaking. I thought of him when I saw it.

lol! I lets let Mike direct a small film before we put the pressure of something bigger than Star Wars haha..

About his acting, I don't think I've seen any hint to bad acting... Considering scenes from the long version of Bad, parts of Ghosts, and portion of Moonwalker I'd say he was a natural.. I mean his presentation on stage is a form of acting.. I think he would have done well and I don't think he would not have allowed himself to do any less than great... If he was not up to par he wouldn't execute..

He may have done the soundtrack?

Ewok With You
Darth Song
You Can't (Obi)Wan
Can't Let Boba Fett Away
Wookie Day & Night
Someone Put Your Han Out
Street(sky)Walker
Ben (Kenobi)
I Just Can't Stop Lovin' R2

Ewok With You
Darth Song
You Can't (Obi)Wan
Can't Let Boba Fett Away
Wookie Day & Night
Someone Put Your Han Out
Street(sky)Walker
Ben (Kenobi)

daisy-ridley-dancing_star-wars-the-force-awakens.gif

oscar-isaac-dancing.gif

No. He would never be allowed to.

It would require a lot experience to be allowed to direct a Star Wars film.

He would have to start with something smaller and then build ud a reputation in the movie-industry if he was any good. - Then he could get bigger and bigger films.

Ewok With You
Darth Song
You Can't (Obi)Wan
Can't Let Boba Fett Away
Wookie Day & Night
Someone Put Your Han Out
Street(sky)Walker
Ben (Kenobi)

:rofl:

You're a genius :bow: