If MJ had decided to put the 5 new BOTDF tracks on HIStory

Basically, the ratio of edited to unedited tracks goes like this (All edited tracks are presented in bold):

1. Scream: 5:13 (versus the album version's 4:38)
2. They Don't Care About Us: 4:44
3. Stranger In Moscow: 6:19 (versus the album version's 5:45)
4. This Time Around: Unknown, though it may have been five to six minutes long (versus the album version's 4:21)

5. Earth Song: 6:48
6. D.S: 4:49
7. Money: 5:00 (versus the album version's 4:42)
8. Come Together: 5:27 (versus the album version's 4:03)
9. You Are Not Alone: 6:02 (versus the album version's 5:47)

10. Childhood: 4:28
11. Tabloid Junkie: 5:11 (versus the album version's 4:33)
12. 2Bad: 6:27 (versus the album version's 4:50)

13. HIStory: 6:38
14. Little Susie: 4:21 (extended to 6:15 by using "Pie Jesu" as an interlude leading into the song)
15. Smile: 4:56
8, 9 & 14 is known, but what is the source for the other tracks? Also, we know there are unused parts for TDCAU.

8, 9 & 14 is known, but what is the source for the other tracks? Also, we know there are unused parts for TDCAU.
1 and 12 come from the multitracks
3 and 7 come from a CD previously owned by a Sony executive. I believe it's somewhere on Discogs, but it may have been deleted.
11 comes from a DAT featuring unused mixes of various HIStory songs. Of all the (unknown) contents on the tape, only this instrumental mix has leaked:
(I really hope this doesn't end up showing the wrong video)

3 and 7 come from a CD previously owned by a Sony executive. I believe it's somewhere on Discogs, but it may have been deleted.
11 comes from a DAT featuring unused mixes of various HIStory songs. Of all the (unknown) contents on the tape, only this instrumental mix has leaked:
That acetate would be this one, I guess?

Tabloid Jungle?

11 comes from a DAT featuring unused mixes of various HIStory songs. Of all the (unknown) contents on the tape, only this instrumental mix has leaked

You forgot to give a source for 4.

This is what I would do..

Scream
They don't care about us
Stranger in Moscow
This Time Around
Earth Song
Money
Childhood
You Are Not Alone
Tabloid Junkie
Morphine
Ghosts
Is It Scary
Blood On The Dance Floor
HIStory

Please, don't kill me. As much as I love HIStory, I'd replace YANA, Childhood and Smile (and CT and DS, I guess, to make it equal) with all new tracks from BOTDF. That'd constitute a perfect MJ album. I'd buy it on vinyl and listen to it twice a day.

I've just listened to the songs I like the least on HIStory and I must admit that I still don't want them gone 😭 Except for Childhood, it's difficult for me to listen to due to personal experiences and I think it's an overall weak track.

I just finished listening to the 5 tracks on BOTDF and some HIStory songs. Man he was on a spirited creative peak in this period. Some of these songs aren't even pop songs.

This line "I'm gonna be exactly what you gonna see" in Is it Scary is full of anger and emotion so powerful both in delivery and writing. I'm just imagining him in the studio spitting out these lyrics, I'm wanna see his face so much during the recording of these songs.

I really hope they'll use some of these tracks on the biopic. I'm thinking about Money, Is it scary, Morphine, Childhood, stranger in Moscow and others. They are so atmospheric and they have a lot to say, real character pieces.

Also superfly sister, how funky is this?!? That break when the bass comes to the front is awesome.

I know these tracks by hard and yet every couple of months it feels like it is the very first time I hear them again, he just keeps pulling me in with his music.

What HIStory tracks would you have left from the tracklist and what would it look like?
If I was going to change it - which I wouldn't - I would drop CT. I'm all in favour of variety and I'm not bothered whether an album is thematic. It's not compulsory. But CT just doesn't fit, imo. It doesn't ruin the album but I wouldn't miss it.

I'm only talking about Disc 2. I would drop Disc 1 altogether. I'm not a record label exec so I don't have to worry about commercial viability or where Michael was in his career at that point and 'omg, Madonna has already done blah blah blah'. None of that is relevant for my scenario. If HIStory is going to be a double album, just give me more new songs.

PS you can also flat out say you won’t change a damn thing about it.
This. :ROFLMAO:

Better would have been to release disc 1 first and then the next year the new album imo
For sure. Treat them as two separate projects - which they are, imo. I really think the 'compilation' thing could have been dealt with later. Yes, I know that's how HIStory got started, as a greatest hits thing, but I don't think Disc 1 was needed at that point but, if it was, then do it as a separate thing. Get the new songs out first and do the compilation at a later date. I would always wanna prioritise new stuff.

Also, off-topic, kinda, but I would want the booklet rewritten and redesigned. It's dreadful, imo. It needs a massive upgrade. If the project is going to be all 'fancy pants' I would make the booklet a bit bigger - which means bigger packaging which makes it more expensive but, hey, this is fantasy so it's allowed, lol. So make the booklet a bit bigger, make it a better product. Ditch Disc 1 to create space for the new, improved booklet. Maybe stick a little poster in there like they did for Xscape.

This line "I'm gonna be exactly what you gonna see" in Is it Scary is full of anger and emotion so powerful both in delivery and writing.
I think that whole verse is wild. I think it's strangely overlooked, that verse, especially the first three lines.

I'm just imagining him in the studio spitting out these lyrics, I'm wanna see his face so much during the recording of these songs.
ooh, I don't think I could handle that. I don't wanna be in the same building with a volcano about to explode. I love the emotion in the song but I wouldn't wanna get too close. Danger zone!

Also superfly sister, how funky is this?!? That break when the bass comes to the front is awesome.
It's freakin' brilliant, imo.

I know these tracks by hard and yet every couple of months it feels like it is the very first time I hear them again, he just keeps pulling me in with his music.
This is what he does, isn't it? This is the explanation to everything.

Last edited:
Also, off-topic, kinda, but I would want the booklet rewritten and redesigned. It's dreadful, imo. It needs a massive upgrade.
I’ve always loved that booklet! What’s wrong about it?

This line "I'm gonna be exactly what you gonna see" in Is it Scary is full of anger and emotion so powerful both in delivery and writing. I'm just imagining him in the studio spitting out these lyrics, I'm wanna see his face so much during the recording of these songs.
Have you seen this?

@Fuzball Yeah I hoped it would be studio footage though lol
Acting in general is so freaking embarrassing before you see the finished product, I could never ever have been an actor , too self aware ! lol
He is really into it, giving his all, very committed

Back