If you could choose any MJ song, which would you want to be his "Running Up That Hill" moment?

staywild23

Premium Member
Country
United-States
So for those unaware, Kate Bush's song "Running Up That Hill" recently had a massive resurgence in popularity because it is featured heavily in the current season of Stranger Things. I didn't understand this at first.

Well, I finally started watching the new season last night, and let me just say I now completely understand why this is happening. Not only is the song unique and memorable, but it is used in an extremely emotional way in the show. It appears multiple times, but also ends up being kind of important for the plot. It was used in a scene that made me cry my eyes out. So yeah, it's not just a song featured in passing like I expected. It's pivotal to the season and is associated with some intense moments...

So with that said, if you could choose any MJ song from throughout his career to have blow up from a TV show or film, which would you choose? Some things to consider:

-Since MJ is so well known, would a song already familiar to people be the better choice? Or would a song from a less mainstream album, or even a deep cut be better for the purpose of garnering new fans/working in a pivotal scene?
-What song do you think is guaranteed to turn someone into a fan? Obviously everyone's tastes are different, but I guess what I mean is which songs do you think are so undeniably good someone couldn't help but want more MJ after hearing it?
-In what way would you like to see an MJ song used in a film or tv show? Like do you think it would be more effective to use a song for something intense/emotional (in the way "Running Up That Hill" was used in ST) or something more fun/light?

Just curious what people's thoughts might be on this! I'd love to see Michael's music blow up from something like this! Seeing Bush's song used in such a plot-driven way has my mind going crazy with ideas for Michael's.

This is a great thought for a thread!

It's tough to say which tracks of MJ's could resurge the way Kate Bush's track has done on Stranger Things...to me it could be like a soundtrack to life sort of thing, with so many interpretations, plot/scene meanings, even a character's background especially.

In a sense yes, a more familiar song or less mainstream song can definitely garner more fans, as well as be incorporated into a pivotal scene. I had a thought about a lot of them in different scenarios or even in real world circumstances now. As we noticed lately on TikTok, the resurgence of Heaven Can Wait, Butterflies, and a couple other tracks from Invincible pop up and around, that is definitely garnering more fans and streams.

In either a film or tv show, I'd think of "They Don't Care About Us", due to the emotional and powerful lyricism that relates to current situations happening for many years and still is today.

I could go on and on, but there are so many creative thought and ideal inputs on a lot of his tracks that can be utilized for any project or scene!

SMALL SPOILERS AHEAD:
It's hard to say because the entire show takes place at the mid 80s, chronologically you can only use songs from Off The Wall or Thriller. In season 2 Eleven has a short villain story and the song Bad would be fitting but then again, the song wasn't out at that period. I can see The Lady In My Life being played during a prom scene.

As for other type of media I'm not sure, the possibilities are endless. When the biopic is out MJ will have a spike in popularity regardless.

This song by Snoh Aalegra called "In Your Eyes." It's got that Michael Jackson vibe to it, especially the chorus and the end of the song, I first heard this on The Rickey Smiley Morning Radio Show and immediately fell in love!

IMO his style of music doesn’t blend in with the style of the tv show.

I also think they avoided references to him due to the LN documentary.

SMALL SPOILERS AHEAD:
It's hard to say because the entire show takes place at the mid 80s, chronologically you can only use songs from Off The Wall or Thriller.
Oh well I didn't mean ST, specifically. Just any TV show or film in general.

I can see The Lady In My Life being played during a prom scene.
I would fall apart if this were to happen. Oh boy. Yes!

Liberian Girl, one of my absolute favourite songs and honestly one of the most romantic songs I've heard in my life. I'd love to see it be more appreciate by the public
Ohh yes! It is such an atmospheric song and, I would guess, not that well known to the casual listener. That could be a really great choice!

IMO his style of music doesn’t blend in with the style of the tv show.

I also think they avoided references to him due to the LN documentary.
I should clarify I didn't mean a song to be used in Stranger Things, specifically. I just meant a song that you think could have the impact and surge in popularity like Bush's did because it was featured in a hit show. So taking the show itself out of it, what MJ song do you think would explode if it were featured in a show?

Ok, I will watch stranger things too, I’m very curious now how they made that song important for the plot and character. It’s like 32 episodes or so, pff big task 🤣

So as I understand “running up that hill” is a very important song for the show, which makes sense otherwise I can’t understand how such an old track can explode.

As for the question, it might be getting tiresome but my ever growing love for “ someone in the dark” makes this an obvious choice. It is a very emotionally moving song so it is a prime candidate really. I’m thinking about something really tearjerking involving a little kid that was neglected and emotionally scarred and the song would be like he theme song of the more emotionally driven scenes with the kid in question. The song has all the ingredients needed to become an evergreen.
I think If Spielberg had used it in E.T. The song would now be universally known and liked.

One of the songs I never knew before became one of my favorites after hearing it in a film (actually it happens all the time to me) but Hall & Oats “you make my dream come true” is used in a fantastic way in the film “500 days of summer”. I shall not spoil it but it is a lot of fun!

In the end it is not something you can plan I guess, you might find an ingenious way to add a song to a film or serie but if said film fails to garner huge interest then nothing happens for the song either…

PS: I never gave it any attention in the past but maybe someone knows if “will you be there“ had an impact with its inclusion of “free Willy”? Wasn’t “bad“ used a few years ago on some hugely popular animated movie?
I wonder why MJ’s music is almost never used in popular culture, I’m sure the controversy has a lot of say in it though.

I remember the trailer for the second season where they used Thriller. Still one of the best trailers I've ever seen for a movie/TV show.

The latest season takes place around spring 1986 and assuming there's a time jump in season 5 we might get some songs from Bad, not sure which song would fit the show though.

Ok, I will watch stranger things too, I’m very curious now how they made that song important for the plot and character. It’s like 32 episodes or so, pff big task 🤣

So as I understand “running up that hill” is a very important song for the show, which makes sense otherwise I can’t understand how such an old track can explode.
You definitely should watch it! It's honestly a great show. Having a couple years between the last season and this one, I was kind of unenthusiastic about diving back into that world. But I have to say, I think season 4 might be my favorite so far. If you do end up watching it, I'd love to hear what you think :)

As for the question, it might be getting tiresome but my ever growing love for “ someone in the dark” makes this an obvious choice. It is a very emotionally moving song so it is a prime candidate really.
Totally agree with this! And I do love your intense commitment to this song lol.

One of the songs I never knew before became one of my favorites after hearing it in a film (actually it happens all the time to me) but Hall & Oats “you make my dream come true” is used in a fantastic way in the film “500 days of summer”. I shall not spoil it but it is a lot of fun!
Absolutely! I always liked the song, but that movie made me love it.

PS: I never gave it any attention in the past but maybe someone knows if “will you be there“ had an impact with its inclusion of “free Willy”? Wasn’t “bad“ used a few years ago on some hugely popular animated movie?
I wonder why MJ’s music is almost never used in popular culture, I’m sure the controversy has a lot of say in it though.
I would definitely think the cost of his music is the main reason why it's not used a lot. Unless you're talking about post-LN specifically, in which case perhaps that's true. I would bet that if he was still alive, we would see his music in pop culture more often. I always loved the use of Thriller in '13 Going on 30.' I wonder if there is a thread on here for his music appearing in TV and films. I would definitely watch something solely for his music lol.

I'd love for the original version of Place With No Name to have a moment like this. I can see this version being in a fantasy /sci fi movie
Ohhh that's a great idea! I also feel like it has all of these classic MJ elements, but it's lesser known to the general population. So it'd be a great way to draw in new listeners!

I remember the trailer for the second season where they used Thriller. Still one of the best trailers I've ever seen for a movie/TV show.
YES!!!! That trailer and the use of the song was incredible.

The latest season takes place around spring 1986 and assuming there's a time jump in season 5 we might get some songs from Bad, not sure which song would fit the show though.
Well, I wasn't looking for songs that could work in Stranger Things, specifically. More just songs that would work great in film/television in general, that could help explode his popularity even more (like what happened with Kate Bush).

But I like to think about this. What song from Bad could work for Stranger Things? I feel like basically any song could, honestly. I can picture several charming ways that more high energy songs like TWYMMF or even JGF could be incorporated. But since the show is so dark, I think Smooth Criminal or even Dirty Diana would be amazing to include. I am nearly finished with this season and I just heard Journey's Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) used to wrap up an episode and it's not a song you'd automatically assume would fit the show, but it worked really well.

I would say the lady in my life which should be released anyway to remind the world how amazing Michael was at emoting! Songs.
I also think that *Off the wall* would show another element to his voice but get people on the dance floor!

I would like the song Off The Wall to be (re)discovered. - I really like the song, and especially the live versions from The Jacksons and the BAD tour.
Such a happy and carefree song. Always makes me smile. - I do not think many non-fans know the song. - though it shares the album titles name.

I would personally love Human Nature to be rediscovered. It is a great song with a very nostalgic feel and it references New York. I can easily see it as being on the soundtrack of a famous TV show or a video game that is set in New York City.

Last edited:
Yep but living off the wall ! Get your life off the wall. Such a killer track and hook. This and LIMF was what sold off the wall to me! Oh and my Mum in my teenage years playing she's out of my life! Constantly! Driving me mad lol

Back