If you could listen to ANY Jackson 5/Motown solo song by Michael with Michael as an adult, what would it be?

DarylJoel_B

Inactive
Country
United-States
Recently, I've noticed how emotional I get whenever I hear Michael his Jackson 5/Motown era songs as an adult. Just minutes ago, I was crying while listening to this live version of Ben. I also experienced this when I listened to Michael's performance of I'll Be There on the Motown 25 show today beforehand.

And it got me thinking about certain songs which I love from the Motown era (Jackson 5 and solo stuff included) and how amazing they would be if Michael's adult voice ever performed them. And how even more emotional I'd be.

As for me, the songs that I would give a lot of my soul of just to hear Michael sing as an adult would be quite a few songs from the Music and Me album, especially songs such as Happy and Too Young. (Music and Me, Michael's Version, maybe? :oops::oops:) In my head, I also imagine the arrangements to be different, more cinematic than they already are, and slightly slower. For a little more emotional buildup. I would also love to hear a re-recorded version of One Day In Your Life from Forever, Michael, his rendition of You've Got A Friend by Carole King from Got To Be There, as well as his renditon of Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers from the same album. As for Jackson 5 songs, I would also love to hear him sing the Jackson 5's rendition of My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder (even though Jermaine actually sang the lead vocals in the Jackson 5 version, but I would also love to hear Michael sing it.) I would also love to hear him sing Who's Lovin' You.

What are some Motown era songs you would love to hear Michael sing as an adult?

Songs which don't count are: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save, I'll Be There, Ben, and Never Can Say Goodbye, as these songs have been performed by Michael as an adult live at some point.

Reactions: MJ5
I guess "Dancing Machine" wouldn't count, either, seeing as he performed that at the 30th-anniversary concert in 2001.

Anyway, most of them don't suit MJ as an adult. It makes sense for him to perform some of the biggest hits in a medley just to remind people of his early years, but I would cringe at him singing stuff like "Rockin' Robin" as a grown man lol. If I had to choose, it would be one of the later Motown songs. I wouldn't want to pick something too random, though, so I'd stick to just the hits. The only issue is that that they didn't have many big hits in their later Motown years. I guess I'd go with "Get It Together"; MJ actually sang some of that in a leaked phone conversation in the early 90s.

I guess "Dancing Machine" wouldn't count, either, seeing as he performed that at the 30th-anniversary concert in 2001.

Anyway, most of them don't suit MJ as an adult. It makes sense for him to perform some of the biggest hits in a medley just to remind people of his early years, but I would cringe at him singing stuff like "Rockin' Robin" as a grown man lol. If I had to choose, it would be one of the later Motown songs. I wouldn't want to pick something too random, though, so I'd stick to just the hits. The only issue is that that they didn't have many big hits in their later Motown years. I guess I'd go with "Get It Together"; MJ actually sang some of that in a leaked phone conversation in the early 90s.
ur def right he’s voice developed and changed over the years but I wonder what it would sound like if he sang “Who’s Lovin You.”

The entire “got to be there” album. He did got to be there for the last time in 1978 so hopefully at least an audio file of that exists somewhere.

Got to be there the album is I N C R E D I B L E

Furthermore songs like we’re almost there, music and me, one day in your life, all I do is think of you, you are there, with a child’s heart, who’s loving you, la la means I love you, don’t know why I love you, too young etc should all have been really awesome

Music & Me, Moring Glow, One Day In Your Life, You Are There, Got To Be There, Never Can Say Goodbye, Man's Temptation, I'll Be There, Love Song, Ben

Also The Wall, Petals, Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing, Lookin’ Through the Windows, Man’s Temptation, Buttercup, A Fool for You, It’s Your Thing, The Life of the Party, What You Don’t Know, Moving Violation, Breezy, Call of the Wild, Time Explosion, and Iddinit.

Anyway, most of them don't suit MJ as an adult. It makes sense for him to perform some of the biggest hits in a medley just to remind people of his early years, but I would cringe at him singing stuff like "Rockin' Robin" as a grown man lol.
Vice versa does it make you cringe to hear young Michael sing “ touch”? It’s from the skywriter album.

Vice versa does it make you cringe to hear young Michael sing “ touch”? It’s from the skywriter album.
i mean... yeah. 14 years old, along with the songs subject matter, is definitely a little inappropriate. 😭 even though i love it. great song. but to be honest i kind of prefer the original by the supremes though

I'm going to pick one from each of his solo Motown outputs:

1. I wanna be where you are
2. People make the world go 'round
3. With a child's heart
4. Just a little bit of you

Back