If You Don’t Love Me (Dangerous outtake)

Snek

Premium Member
Has anyone else never heard this amazing song before until now? I agree with the comments on the video that it sounds way ahead of its time. I also find the song to be very relatable. Does anyone have any information about this song that would be interesting?

Last edited:
I love the song with the killer vocals and guitar and whatnot, one of my favorite Dangerous outtakes! But I can see why it did not make Dangerous (it can be a little bit repetitive in terms of rhythm and chorus). “And if you don’t love me, if you don’t love me...” and on and on until the verses kick in. It is one of the songs where I have heard the title of the song in it numerous times! Talk about accentuation!

Other than that, I dig the groovy track, as I have said. Also, I used to think that “And my temperature has risen to a hundred and three” in the second verse sounded like “And my temperature has risen to a hundred and degrees” lol. The way he voices “three” has sounded like “and degrees” to my ears all along, even though the latter does not make sense in the sentence, haha. Oh, and I love the way the third verse flows! :D

It needs some rewriting on the lyrics (mainly on the chorus and pre chorus) to kick out the repetitiveness. I also don't like the guitar sound. I guess it was a demo because to me it doesn't sound finished
But it's a fun throwback to 50s rock n roll, it has potential, the verses are fun and the bridge is absolutely fantastic.

M.J. Content;4289845 said:
I love the song with the killer vocals and guitar and whatnot, one of my favorite Dangerous outtakes! But I can see why it did not make Dangerous (it can be a little bit repetitive in terms of rhythm and chorus). “And if you don’t love me, if you don’t love me...” and on and on until the verses kick in. It is one of the songs where I have heard the title of the song in it numerous times! Talk about accentuation!

Other than that, I dig the groovy track, as I have said. Also, I used to think that “And my temperature has risen to a hundred and three” in the second verse sounded like “And my temperature has risen to a hundred and degrees” lol. The way he voices “three” has sounded like “and degrees” to my ears all along, even though the latter does not make sense in the sentence, haha. Oh, and I love the way the third verse flows! :D

I think the repetition really works in this case. It’s about all of the feelings of unrequited love, and he’s letting all his frustrations out and honestly it’s a therapeutic listen 😁

czechstar;4289853 said:
Never heard this! Thanks for sharing!!!

No bother! Sven Nelson’s channel has loads of rare tracks if you wanna do a deep dive

Snek;4289850 said:
I think the repetition really works in this case. It’s about all of the feelings of unrequited love, and he’s letting all his frustrations out and honestly it’s a therapeutic listen ��

Agreed. It has that 50s/60s vibe, and a lot of songs of the era had that kind of repetition in the chorus. :)

I absolutely love this song! It has always been one of my favorite outtakes from dangerous. That bridge is so gorgeous

Does anyone know who the drummer was on this? When I hear it I always imagine Michael setting behind the drums and singing.

Such an underrated track. I also put this on and smile, wouldn't mind the Estate releasing it with any rerelease of Dangerous or to pad out a new album in the future

I love those vocals and the bridge just gets it every single time

Last edited:
Easily a top five unreleased cut for me. Repetitive for sure, but it's got this sunny quality about it that I just can't get enough of. Plus, the bridge (specifically the vocal harmonies) are to DIE for.

If a Dangerous anniversary edition ever comes to be, I pray that this makes the cut.

Does anyone know who the drummer was on this? When I hear it I always imagine Michael setting behind the drums and singing.

Since this is a Bill Bottrell collaboration, I'd bet anything he's the primary musician!

It's very Motown vibe for me, not just the sound but the high level of energy too, and the "baby baby baby"-s. :D

Rocketeer;4289845 said:
“And if you don’t love me, if you don’t love me...” and on and on until the verses kick in. It is one of the songs where I have heard the title of the song in it numerous times! Talk about accentuation!

Haha, yep, but I agree with Snek that the repetition sort of works here, I love how simple, irrational, cheeky and sort of childish it is. :D The whole song could be a bit shorter though.

Any info about the song would be great, as apart from it being a Dangerous outtake I hardly know anything about it.

ozemouze;4289884 said:
It's very Motown vibe for me, not just the sound but the high level of energy too, and the "baby baby baby"-s. :D

Haha, yep, but I agree with Snek that the repetition sort of works here, I love how simple, irrational, cheeky and sort of childish it is. :D The whole song could be a bit shorter though.

Any info about the song would be great, as apart from it being a Dangerous outtake I hardly know anything about it.

I agree with you. The repetition is a call back to old Motown songs like “it takes two”

Themidwestcowboy;4289894 said:
I agree with you. The repetition is a call back to old Motown songs like “it takes two”

Wow, indeed! I think that bugged me in the back of my mind just couldn't figure it out exactly. Thanks for the tip!

AlwaysThere;4289882 said:
Since this is a Bill Bottrell collaboration, I'd bet anything he's the primary musician!

Thanks for the info! Now I'm thinking about how great it would be to have albums based on the works of different producers: a Bill Bottrell album, a Bryan Loren compilation, the rest of the Teddy Riley collaborations, Brad Buxter songs... Then we would have both version of DYKWYCA officially! Or an album focusing on the evolution of MJ's songs from different eras to showcase his creative process. (I know, I know... but one can dream).

Was this song originally written for Bad?

The worst repititive MJ song imo is OMC (R. Kelly song).

Lyrics are quite repetetive during the chorus, pre-chorus and outro with Michael continuously singing "If you don't love me", but in spite of that, it has a killer sound and it takes me back in time. I really love the bridge part of the song and the way Michael sings it. That is the best part of the song for me.

Overall, it's one of my favourite unreleased Michael songs and I hope one day it gets released officially.

I'm sure someone did a mix of it that for me took the edge off the repetitiveness, which is now my go to version of the track.

https://mega.nz/file/GVlhVTbJ#03afD-Dsg-ALU6wVyi2vlxkxw_hRkWqLO03xT54vO5c

I've just uploaded what I have on my iTunes for it. I don't know where it came from or who made it, I probably got it off here.

It's still not quite right for me, but I do prefer it as it's less repetitive.

Thank you for this. I've never noticed this but MJ's leads seems kinda burried in this mix. This is one song that i hope they, remix, remasted and officially release.

Edit: Is this a different mix using the multitracks? There are some instruments that I don't remember from the one that i've been listening to for all these years.

Thank you for this. I've never noticed this but MJ's leads seems kinda burried in this mix. This is one song that i hope they, remix, remasted and officially release.

Edit: Is this a different mix using the multitracks? There are some instruments that I don't remember from the one that i've been listening to for all these years.

There's a longer mix that leaked in lossy and the short edit that leaked in lossless. They sound a bit different from each other.

from "Michael Jackson: All the Songs" (Lecocq/Allard)

In the early 2000s a first version was leaked on the internet that was almost the definitive version. A few guitar arrangements were missing, and the mixing of the vocals was not yet complete. The definitive version, authorized by the singer, figured on the test CD of the reissue of Dangerous planned for 2001.

Has anyone else never heard this amazing song before until now? I agree with the comments on the video that it sounds way ahead of its time. I also find the song to be very relatable. Does anyone have any information about this song that would be interesting?

Wait one second. I'll be right back to show you some mean moves with my hoola hoop dancing to this song!
The song, just the way it is with no back fill music (like how it sounds on a transistor radio), is just like the 60's. Rockin' it!

In the early 2000s a first version was leaked on the internet that was almost the definitive version. A few guitar arrangements were missing, and the mixing of the vocals was not yet complete. The definitive version, authorized by the singer, figured on the test CD of the reissue of Dangerous planned for 2001.
Early 2000's? Wow, hardly anyone had a fast computer then. It was all dial up. We had time to go out and get a Dreamsicle from the ice cream truck before anything showed up on the screen. Such a shame there wasn't some other conduit for a really fun song. I hate waiting and didn't succumb very often.

Hi,

A charitable soul could tell me all the unreleased titles mentioned in the book "All The Songs"?

I thank you in advance 🙏

It is a very radio pop style song and God I love it. The song just feels like a modern Motown track, the harmonies on this are glorious

Back