In the MJ song 'Money', Michael mentions a few names.

It's just really weird yes: the song is CLEARLY about the evilness of money and he CLEARLY mentions Trump..
So maybe they had a fallout during that time..? Weird

Then again I never understood that whole propaganda trailer for History too; Was there an idea behind it? Was it just for attention? Was there irony in it? Was it actually about love? Why did the statue wear the Dangerous Tour outfit? Why wasn't it a teared down statue, etc?

It's just really weird yes: the song is CLEARLY about the evilness of money and he CLEARLY mentions Trump..

Then again I never understood that whole propaganda trailer for History too; Was there an idea behind it? Was it just for attention? Was there irony in it? Was it actually about love? Why did the statue wear the Dangerous Tour outfit? Why wasn't it a teared down statue, etc?
The trailer, I think, was meant to show Michael as a cultural phenomenon, larger than life. The statue was dressed in his most recent tour outfit.

According to a comment on the genius.com page of the song, he mentions “Vandervilt, Morgan, Trump, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Getty” (mentionned source: "Syl Mortilla (book: First Book of Michael)" )
Now, after reading that, I hear "Getty" twice.

It would be ironical if MJ points them as evil since
- he used to be friends with Trump (but could he be referring to Trump's father?)
- he reportedly admired Thomas Edison... who is sometimes considered as evil and as an idea stealer (depending on point of view and interpretations)
- he reportedly admired guys who were masters at manipulation, like P.T. Barnum.

I never went too deep into its meaning but I always thought Money is about journalists writing lies, friends or relatives getting "corrupted/bribed", people grabbing any occasion to make a lawsuit for money, etc... not about people getting rich from running big businesses. But maybe I didn't get this part.
Aha! User @Lucilla clue us in as to why Trump is in there: link.

after a little research, I think he said "Vanderbilt, Morgan, Trump, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Getty" he's mentioning honest people who earn their money with dignity, because Before those names, he says "If you want it, you earn it with dignity".

What a great mind! I'm amazed again :D

Vanderbilt = Cornelius Vanderbilt (1794–1877)
Morgan = J. P. Morgan (1837–1913)
Trump = Donald Trump (1946–)
Rockefeller = John Davison Rockefeller, Sr. (1839–1937)
Carnegie = Andrew Carnegie (1835–1919)
Getty = J. Paul Getty (1892–1976)

He meant it in a positive way, let's just say that. It was a different time, It wasn't a bad thing. It definitely wasn't some political stance he was taking either.
He did not mean it in a positive way considering that he whispers these names under the song's chorus.

As the song's chorus goes, these names would do anything for money, they would sell their souls to the devil, and so on.

The leotard on the 'HIStory' statue was an unsuccessful and laughable decision.

The 'HIStory' statue was supposed to show him in a macho, masculine, aggressive, assertive, and powerful way (hence the shotgun bandolier on it).

But the leotard on the 'HIStory' statue contradicts all these (because the leotard is a mostly female garment).

Seems like the reference to Vanderbilt isn't that positive:
The family fortune wasn't made until the nineteenth century when Cornelius 'Commodore' Vanderbilt, an upstart from Staten Island who quit school at the age of 11, began working in his father's ferry business. He was born into poverty in 1794 and known as a headstrong, stubborn, and manipulative child who was willing to risk almost anything to make money. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...scandal-ridden-legacy-Vanderbilt-dynasty.html
Gettys grandson lost his ear and later his mind because of his grandfathers money.
His grandfather was reluctant to pay, but, after John Paul Getty III's severed ear was received by a newspaper, the grandfather negotiated a payment of $2.2 million, and Getty was released five months after being kidnapped. Getty developed an addiction to drugs, including alcohol, soon after, eventually leading to an overdose and stroke which left him severely disabled for the rest of his life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Getty_III

Last edited:
Vanderbilt = Cornelius Vanderbilt (1794–1877)
Morgan = J. P. Morgan (1837–1913)
Trump = Donald Trump (1946–)
Rockefeller = John Davison Rockefeller, Sr. (1839–1937)
Carnegie = Andrew Carnegie (1835–1919)
Getty = J. Paul Getty (1892–1976)
on the uncut version Michael mentioned more names (e.g. the media moguls Ted Turner & Rupert Murdoch)

He did not mean it in a positive way considering that he whispers these names under the song's chorus.

As the song's chorus goes, these names would do anything for money, they would sell their souls to the devil, and so on.

The leotard on the 'HIStory' statue was an unsuccessful and laughable decision.

The 'HIStory' statue was supposed to show him in a macho, masculine, aggressive, assertive, and powerful way (hence the shotgun bandolier on it).

But the leotard on the 'HIStory' statue contradicts all these (because the leotard is a mostly female garment).
Different interpretations are of course allowed. Because of the inclusion of Trump, I personally find it hard to believe that Michael would have meant for the names to be interpreted negatively.

They're ad-libs. He also says "You want it, you earn it, with dignity." They correlate: Self-made businessmen or whatever.

Whether you agree they are or not, that's on you. But maybe if you'd heard the song since 1995 you'd know what it actually did say.

on the uncut version Michael mentioned more names (e.g. the media moguls Ted Turner & Rupert Murdoch)
Yes, the uncut version… what’s the story behind that, by the way? How did it leak?

Are there more names beside the album edit’s six and the additional two you mention?

Yes, the uncut version… what’s the story behind that, by the way? How did it leak?

Are there more names beside the album edit’s six and the additional two you mention?
😮 Has it ever leaked?

I vaguely remember on YouTube. Someone might have posted it here also.
I definitely recall it being posted on an MJ forum as a download. Don't think it was this one, though, unless my memory is just really bad. I did search on two other forums that I thought had it and didn't find it. Still need to search here, though.

I don't think it was a fallout as much as Michael was just acknowledging that, by being a billionaire, and despite them having some sort of friendship, Trump probably had some ounce of greed or corruption in him. And... well, he wasn't wrong. >.> I highly doubt Trump ever listened to the song anyway.

That "uncut" version is probably what I was thinking of when I thought of that snippet! I don't think it ever leaked in full, did it?

Would be really cool to get to hear that uncut version…

Back