In the MJ song 'Money', Michael mentions a few names.

MechaJackson

Proud Member
Rockefeller and Morgan were two of them, what was the others?

I'm guessing they were some of the evil people he spoke of in the song.

Last edited:
J D Rockafeller founded Standard Oil. He began what is referred to as "targeted philanthropy", with foundations that had a major effect on medicine, education, and scientific research.

J P Morgan was a banker who redefined conservatism in terms of financial expertise coupled with strong commitments to religion and culture.

Those particular lyrics aren't included, as they're ad libbed. I hear 'Morgan' and 'Rockefeller', but I can't make out anything else he says at that particular time.

He also ad libs something like, "you want it, earn it with dignity".

Cool, haven't listened to this song in ages, time to do it. Love the 'surprises' he comes up with.

Rockefeller funded the Eugenics movement, the same movement Hitler followed and used to rationalize his genocide.

Rockefeller funded the Eugenics movement, the same movement Hitler followed and used to rationalize his genocide.

WOW, I never really thought about that name but I always had that random thought of Hitler after I listened to that song, very creepy. I love to read about everything MJ's thought of or sang about because its always deep and meaningful.

I would say the Rockefellers did make their money through evil practices, by receiving subsidies from the government and regulating the competition out of business, they became monopolies.

According to a comment on the genius.com page of the song, he mentions “Vandervilt, Morgan, Trump, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Getty” (mentionned source: "Syl Mortilla (book: First Book of Michael)" )
Now, after reading that, I hear "Getty" twice.

It would be ironical if MJ points them as evil since
- he used to be friends with Trump (but could he be referring to Trump's father?)
- he reportedly admired Thomas Edison... who is sometimes considered as evil and as an idea stealer (depending on point of view and interpretations)
- he reportedly admired guys who were masters at manipulation, like P.T. Barnum.

I never went too deep into its meaning but I always thought Money is about journalists writing lies, friends or relatives getting "corrupted/bribed", people grabbing any occasion to make a lawsuit for money, etc... not about people getting rich from running big businesses. But maybe I didn't get this part.

Last edited:
According to a comment on the genius.com page of the song, he mentions “Vandervilt, Morgan, Trump, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Getty” (mentionned source: "Syl Mortilla (book: First Book of Michael)" )
Now, after reading that, I hear "Getty" twice.

It would be ironical if MJ points them as evil since
- he used to be friends with Trump (but could he be referring to Trump's father)
- he reportedly admired Thomas Edison... who is sometimes considered as evil and as an idea stealer (depending on point of view and interpretations)
- he reportedly admired guys who were masters in manipulation, like P.T. Barnum.

I never went too deep into its meaning but I always thought Money is about journalists writing lies, friends or relatives getting "corrupted/bribed", people grabbing any occasion to make a lawsuit for money, etc... not about people getting rich from running big businesses. But maybe I didn't get this part.
I have the same interpretation as you, which makes the specific names uttered somewhat perplexing.

Michael knew Donald well before the song was recorded, wherefore I find it would be somewhat odd if he was referring to Donald’s father.

Donald Trump was not President, and was not contentious back then. And there wasn't as much criticism of rich people for simply being rich. That's more 21st century reappraisals from this new generation.

1994 Michael and Lisa-Marie spent some time at Trump Tower
1995 Money was released

It is pretty obvious that 'Money' is a diss song also to these names.

The reason is that Michael Jackson whispers these names under the song's chorus, which means that these names are necessarily immoral and evil for him.

He meant it in a positive way, let's just say that. It was a different time, It wasn't a bad thing. It definitely wasn't some political stance he was taking either.

I remember hearing a snippet a long time ago of a supposed demo version of the song where the names were yelled loudly over the ending instead of being quietly spoken. Can't seem to find it on Youtube, though, and for some reason I never saved it.

I remember hearing a snippet a long time ago of a supposed demo version of the song where the names were yelled loudly over the ending instead of being quietly spoken. Can't seem to find it on Youtube, though, and for some reason I never saved it.
Think that was just a made up demo.

Back