Interest in Michael Jackson!?

I heard Billie Jean on the radio when I went home by bus
The next day I heard Billie Jean playing in the radio and the next day I heard "I just can´t stop loving you"

I don´t know how often they play his music on the radio,I don´t listen much to the radio

^ The music TV in my country constantly plays Michael's videos. Recenly I have seen Remember The Time, Scream, You Rock My World, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Black Or White, Dirty Diana.

I heard In the Closet in the store the other day and I wanted to scream lol. I had a big smile.

Am always waiting for a new album to rise, so am always on the lookout. I listen to his music all the time too. Am gonna play Mj's music when my cousins kid (peanut) whose 1 years old comes to my apartment watch. hehe

Peanut :lol: So cute.

I'd say from what I see MJ is more spoke about and relevant than Elvis, but I don't follow Elvis so I wouldn't know. I just don't hear/see anything to do with him

I'd say from what I see MJ is more spoke about and relevant than Elvis, but I don't follow Elvis so I wouldn't know. I just don't hear/see anything to do with him
I think in time, Michael will be remembered the way Elvis and Marilyn Monroe are remembered now; kids will know his name and that he was a legendary entertainer--- but not all of them will take the time to learn about him. It's on us to educate the generations that follow ours about what Michael was about and how he set out to heal the world and how he united people.

i became a fan when i was 14 (along with my best friend) and 4 yrs later I'm still a fan , bought bad25,,i live in las vegas so i'm super excited for mj cirque du soleil and also super for the up coming bad25 doc release on dvd. same as my friend ....so for those who say young people have move on . we are certainly aren't, and I'm sure there are many people out there like me

I just wanted to mention, that they have shown This Is It quite a few times on tv. I've probably seen it a good 4 times already on tv. If you live in NYC keep on the lookout for channel 791 PalladiaHD.

I do agree on this. You still can see him everywhere in the pop scene. He is relevant but has become sort of like HIStory. Miss the 80s and early 90s when everyone was crazy about him T_T

But I'm comparing him to ppl like Justin bieber, lady gaga and the hot stars out there not the dead celebs you know.

bad25;3795340 said:
But I'm comparing him to ppl like Justin bieber, lady gaga and the hot stars out there not the dead celebs you know.

Is it really useful to compare him to those artists though?

Lady Gaga, Rihanna etc. are very young, new artists, who are “hot” right now. There are always those artists who are the hottest, the most popular artists at a certain moment. Obviously Michael isn’t that kind of artist right now, and hasn’t been for years. The thing is though, very few of the once-popular singers have any significant, lasting legacy. Almost every pop star fades after a few years and is replaced by the next hot young pop star. The hottest artist today will be an irrelevant has-been tomorrow.

I’m sure that if you asked kids or teenagers today what music they listen to, they’d answer something like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga or Katy Perry, not Michael. In a few years though they’ll grow out of their Justin Bieber/etc phase and move on to something different, and younger kids will go crazy over some new teen pop sensation, and nobody will care very much about Justin Bieber anymore.

But once these currently hot pop stars have faded, Michael’s music is still going to be there. He’s been popular for over 40 years now, and he has long ago cemented his status as a legend, one of the most popular artists of all time. There’s no need for him to compete with whoever is the “it” artist of the moment.

When someone loves Michael truly, from the bottom of his heart, he will never leave him. Those who did it, maybe didn't love him enough or he was a ''fashion'' for them.

I really agree with you .

So yeah not every " Old fan has moved on" . :) I dont think you ever could forget someone who has had that much of an impact in your life .He is relevant and always will be . He to me , is ever present in our hearts and in our minds.:flowers:

Last edited:
Sunwalker7;3795387 said:
He’s been popular for over 40 years now, and he has long ago cemented his status as a legend, one of the most popular artists of all time.

Co sign
michael-jackson-this-is-it-1.jpg

Comparing Michael Jackson to Justin Bieber is almost an insult! Now I have nothing against Justin, he sure is popular at the moment, but please do not even put him in the same sentence as Michael. Michael is a legend by a criteria that Justin wouldn't be able to reach in his wildest dreams. To prove that one would only have to erase Justin from the public eye for 3 years and than see how many of his fans would have been waiting for him. Would there have been a new "Justin"? Probably.
Michael on the other hand had regularly been disappearing for 3+ years after the end of an albums active promotion period, he did it for the last 25 years of his life. At the end, when having sold like a million tickets for TII, he hadn't been in the public eye (for his music!!!) for what, 8 years? I think everybody needs to remind yourself what kind of a legend one needs to be to achieve that!

I say let's wait 5 years and see what it does to Justin/Gaga/Rihanna.

I have been following MJ and popular music in general for almost 30 years now and I have seen a lot of "current hot acts" come and go, acts those were hyped for a moment big time (some even called "the new Michael Jackson/Beatles/etc."), yet 10-20 years on no one even remembers them. You have to distinguish between current chart sensations and those who are likely to remain relevant for a long time. And I don't see many of that on the current popular music scene, to be honest. And even the hottest acts today, to me at least, don't seem to have the same magic as the magic that surrounded popular music back in the 80s-90s. Maybe because many of these current hot acts are nowhere near to that level of talent generally. Just look at an award ceremony in the 80s and look at it now - the quantity and quality of talent, originality, creativity was just way superior back then. Today we have music industry puppets, back then we had artists.

I actually agree that it's an insult to MJ to compare him to people like Bieber or Gaga. The Beatles or Elvis aren't on the charts currently, does that make them less relevant than Bieber or Gaga?

Comparing Michael Jackson to Justin Bieber is almost an insult! Now I have nothing against Justin, he sure is popular at the moment, but please do not even put him in the same sentence as Michael. Michael is a legend by a criteria that Justin wouldn't be able to reach in his wildest dreams. To prove that one would only have to erase Justin from the public eye for 3 years and than see how many of his fans would have been waiting for him. Would there have been a new "Justin"? Probably.
Michael on the other hand had regularly been disappearing for 3+ years after the end of an albums active promotion period, he did it for the last 25 years of his life. At the end, when having sold like a million tickets for TII, he hadn't been in the public eye (for his music!!!) for what, 8 years? I think everybody needs to remind yourself what kind of a legend one needs to be to achieve that!

I say let's wait 5 years and see what it does to Justin/Gaga/Rihanna.

They aren't even that popular NOW! I mean the hype is big sure. You always hear about these people in the entertainment news or how many "likes" they have on social media, but did anyone check out how does that translate to actual record sales?

According to Wikipedia Justin Bieber's three albums so far sold:

My World 2.0 - US: 3 million, World wide: 5 million
Under the Mistletoe - WW: 2 million
Believe - US: 1.3 million

So is this that HUGE megastar of our age? Just because teen girls watch his videos on YT all over and over again, does that make him REALLY relevant and big?

Lady Gaga's album sales:

The Fame: - US: 4.5 million, WW: 15 million
Born This Way - US: 2.2 million, WW: 6 million

While The Fame is decent by today's standards, her second album is a big drop down compared to that and that with all the hype and publicity she gets! (Funny that no one calls her a washed-up has been...)

Rihanna's latest album sold 2.3 million WW and 800,000 in the US...

So how big these people really are?
I don't see them move mountains even in their own time and age - let alone having the potential to become all time legends.

They aren't even that popular NOW! I mean the hype is big sure. You always hear about these people in the entertainment news or how many "likes" they have on social media, but did anyone check out how does that translate to actual record sales?

Ok I'm going to play the role of the devils advocate now but the sales factor today is somehow different to what it was in the 80's/90's, with all the downloading it might really be unfair to compare sales numbers. What counts for me is longevity! Longevity and touring. So let's see... I really don't know but do Justin and Rihan do concerts that attract 50-100 thousands of people? Do they have fans in all age groups? Do their albums and songs define the whole decade? Or even better, do they define two or three decades?

Now, how many yes-es do we have?

Ok I'm going to play the role of the devils advocate now but the sales factor today is somehow different to what it was in the 80's/90's, with all the downloading it might really be unfair to compare sales numbers.

When today's numbers' are so unfavorable to the sales of the past it's always easily blamed on downloads, but I'm not completely convinced about that. If you are going to ananlyize and compare the 80s and today then there will be many factors you have to consider. Downloading is one factor, but it's not like piracy did not exist in the 80s. It took a different form but it was just as present. People recorded songs from the radio or copied casettes. That was the "downloading" of the 80s. My first MJ casettes were actually all pirate tapes, because here in Eastern Europe that was actually the NORM! Originals were very expensive and often not even available here. And this brings in another factor as well, which is that the market to sell music has become significantly bigger since the 80s! In the 80s half of the world was behind the iron curtain. We did not get all the stuff that the West got - and definitely not immediately. But now if there is a new release it's released at the same time all over the world and you get the same hype, same marketing over someone or something all over the world. This makes the market A LOT bigger than in the 80s!

Even downloading itself is a double-edge sword that does not necessarily hurt sales. In fact, it makes it easier for anyone to legally buy music. Back then you had to go to a record store and look for a record you wanted and physically buy it. Now you do it with a couple of clicks - easy, convenient and CHEAP (compared to when you buy physical records). Yes, some will be tempted to download it for free, but with laws, regulations, iTunes, and with all the legal online stores it also makes it cheaper and easier to legally BUY, which counts into the sales.

So I'm not totally buying this notion that record sales decline because of downloads. IMO they decline because most of these artists simply do not have the magic and talent, they are just music industry puppets. Take a look at someone like Adele! I'm no fan of hers, but with a little bit of talent she seems be able to produce great sales even in this era. So I don't think it's the downloads.

In late 80s we became 5 billions humans here on earth.
Are we 7 billion now?
2 billion more to buy albums

I'm 14, and I've been a HARDCORE fan since I was born. I buy every album of his that ever came out, I have made t-shirts, bought t-shirts, I have like 100 posters and like 1000 pictures of him on my iPod and computer, I have all of his songs on my iPod. Hmmm... Lol I'm just obsessed. But yeah, we still support Michael. Hey, did you about Man In the Mirror entering #1 again?

Sadly, yes, the kids in my generation act as if he's uncool, when actually, who they're listening to is uncool. But I just swerve with it, because I know I love Michael, and no ones gonna change that. :)

I never knew about Michael Jackson when I was younger because my family never mentioned him. Don't get me wrong, I never hated him because how could anyone hate him? He's the most famous entertainer ever!! On his passing day, that's when I learned about Michael and became a fan ever since. I feel bad for kids today, they don't get the magic of him when he was alive but at least his music will make them hooked.

I think in time, Michael will be remembered the way Elvis and Marilyn Monroe are remembered now; kids will know his name and that he was a legendary entertainer--- but not all of them will take the time to learn about him. It's on us to educate the generations that follow ours about what Michael was about and how he set out to heal the world and how he united people.

Where i live they teach mj songs in music class.....my 5yr old bro came home one day singing earth song....i was really surprised.....plus at work a teacher bought the jackson 5 tv show to show to her students......so in that respect i think mj has and willl continue to have a bigger impact than elvis or marylin even in 50years

Last edited:
Where i live they teach mj songs in music class.....my 5yr old bro came home one day singing earth song....i was really surprised.....plus at work a teacher bought the jackson 5 tv show to show to her students......so in that respect i think mj has and willl continue to have a bigger impact than elvis or marylin even in 50years

That is awesome that they teach Michael music:clapping:
I wish I could go back to school and take a subject of Michael Jackson:wild:

I think you have to re-read my post....

That's what I said, it's on US, OUR generation and the one before us (not sure how old you are lol) to educate the kids today about who Michael was and what his message was and always will be, so that they will continue to spread it amongst themselves and their kids in the future. ONLY THEN will Michael's impact be much bigger than Marilyn Monroe's or Elvis'.

Marilyn gave a lot to charity and did a lot of good things for people, but nowadays people hardly know that because we forget.
When I was 14, I wrote a piece on Michael and received an A+, and other students loved it because I taught them about who Michael was and what he stood for. I made a list of the charities he supported and the UNLISTED things that he had done for people AND fans, and they were amazed. Even now when asked, I tell people how Michael would buy fans pizza or send down blankets to fans sleeping outside his hotel they look at me in amazement. People don't know and we have to educate them :)

I am 33 years old and I have been an MJ fan for practically my entire life. Been a true hardcore fan of his since the HIStory Era. And I will never lose any interest in him. My bedroom is still a practical shrine to him. The walls and doors are covered with pictures and posters of him. And that will never change for me. I still collect MJ relating stuff. Though not as much as I used to. Because I have such a huge MJ collection as it is. Been collecting MJ relating stuff on and off since 1990. But the problem with me is I just can't handle watching and listening to him like I used to. Mainly because of my depression over him. And that I am still very much in mourning over him. Since I still tend to wear all black clothes. Always a black MJ t-shirt and black pants. Michael is and always will be one of my 3 major passions. The other 2 is astronomy and Bollywood. Bollywood even way more so now since that has been my Michael replacement. That has been a real life saver for me. Especially since I seriously can not stand today's singers and dancers. They never will be no where near as good as Michael is. And they just tend to make me miss him all the more. Than I already do.:( I had so wanted to turn my 2 nephews in to MJ fans. They are 4 and 6 years old. But thanks to the way I still feel anymore when it comes to him. That is something that is still out of the question for me.:(

I understand how you feel, but I think you should start listening to Michael, why not enjoy his music.. and videos, it's all we have now.. Oh god I miss Michael, when I see videos on youtube where he talks, smiles and laughs it gets unbearable. But I force myself to watch it, because I don't want to forget how incredible he is...
Someone close to Michael told me, that "Michael is about life", that he wouldn't want people to go around and be sad.. so I often think about, what that guy said.. and he knew him.. so.. try to cheer up..

I think you have to re-read my post....

That's what I said, it's on US, OUR generation and the one before us (not sure how old you are lol) to educate the kids today about who Michael was and what his message was and always will be, so that they will continue to spread it amongst themselves and their kids in the future. ONLY THEN will Michael's impact be much bigger than Marilyn Monroe's or Elvis'.

Marilyn gave a lot to charity and did a lot of good things for people, but nowadays people hardly know that because we forget.
When I was 14, I wrote a piece on Michael and received an A+, and other students loved it because I taught them about who Michael was and what he stood for. I made a list of the charities he supported and the UNLISTED things that he had done for people AND fans, and they were amazed. Even now when asked, I tell people how Michael would buy fans pizza or send down blankets to fans sleeping outside his hotel they look at me in amazement. People don't know and we have to educate them :)
Oh ok sorry thanks :)

Back