Invincible: Special Edition (Fanmade)

Michael didnt even believe in filler songs man! He said that out his own mouth. Saying that every song should be a hit & lady in my life was NOT a filler... far from it!

I know, maybe the word "filler" is too much, but they are more weaker songs, when compared to the rest. Sure, any other artist could start/end their entire career on one of this "weaker" songs, haha. It's just that, compared to the rest of his gems, they don't pack the same punch.
But like I've said, they are still great songs and they give the final form to the albums. I wouldn't remove any of them.

Well, there are filler songs on every album, IMO.

Thriller had Lady in my Life.
Bad had Just Good Friends.
Dangerous had She Drives me Wild, Can't Let Her Get Away and Keep the Faith.
HIStory had D.S., Come Together, Childhood and Little Susie.
Invincible had You Are my Life and Don't Walk Away.

But I wouldn't remove them, they all make the albums what they are.
Sure, there are many songs that deserve their albums and could be added. But I wouldn't remove any :rockingstickman:

Horrified that Little Susie and Childhood are considered "filler".

Sure, there are many songs that deserve their albums and could be added. But I wouldn't remove any :rockingstickman:

Horrified that Little Susie and Childhood are considered "filler".

'Horrified' doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about Silky's selection of fillers. To each their own, but they mentioned some of my all time favorite tunes, from Michael or anyone else, for that matter, most especially the songs I bolded out.

Or The Lady In My Life. :girl_tantrum:

The filler on Thriller is The Girl Is Mine. :fear:

Totally agree with you. The Lady tune is the absolute highlight on Thriller for me, while the duet is the low point of the album. Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way *high five in the air* As far as I'm concerned, the true gem in the Mike/Paul collaboration is the overlooked one - the Man song.

For me, the only true fillers in his 79-01 catalog are Girlfriend, The girl is mine and Don't walk away and MikeJack2005 explained very well why this last one is such a weak and unconvincing song.

Don't Walk Away (IMO the worst track on Invincible, for me it's very boring, and vocally it sounds very safe for Michael. Nothing really happens in the song and it's got that Adult contemporary/easy listening feel. On top it's kinda depressing/melancholy which works on a track like Stranger in Moscow - but not here)

Other than those three songs I mentioned, Michael's material is excellent, with certain songs being on lower tiers and very, very many absolute masterpieces. I consider Speechless the greatest, most beautiful and purest composition ever, while that Lady tune on Thriller comes in 2nd place; Break of dawn earns the bronze medal and Butterflies, Liberian girl & You are my life all get honorary mentions :D

And when I shift focus and move beyond my silly, romantic moods and look a bit further into the deep darkness of the world, I see and listen to Heal the world, Earth song, We've had enough, Shout, Why you wanna trip on me and Do you know where your children are? The awesome power in the lyrics of those songs could have been merged with tremendous visuals to truly carry the message home and inspire people......

Last edited:
By the way, some of you may consider lady in my life a filler but it was my parents song back in the day. The two of them had the Thriller album and my father dedicated that song to my mother. It is a nice filler cause that filler MADE me 10 years after the song was released. :D

Lady In My life filler????????????????? My brain cannot compute this.

As far as I'm concerned, the true gem in the Mike/Paul collaboration is the overlooked one - the Man song. [...]

For me, the only true fillers in his 79-01 catalog are Girlfriend, The girl is mine
Yes, yes yes! *returning the high five* Say Say Say is fun, but it's The Man that is a gem. And that Girlfriend song... even MJ's great singing can't help me from cringing if I have to listen to it *hides from the fans of the song*.

Invincible is a bit complicated for me, as even though I grown to appreciate its more universal approach a lot I still can't get over two things: the overproduced sound and especially that the background vocal isn't just MJ's voice for the first time in history (OK, a bit of exaggeration here but I hope you know what I mean). I just can't get used to the latter. :(

To be perfectly fair Silky clarified later that filler wasn't the best expression to use. On OTW I consider It's The Falling in Love and Burn This Disco out fillers as well - don't get me wrong, both are great funky fun songs, but if Just Good Friends is a filler (and I can accept that IF we think of fillers as some playful, carefree bonus for MJ & Stevie on an otherwise tight album as Bad), than those are too, definitely.

Plus I agree that there are sometimes songs that are great but don't exactly fit into the album. E.g. I love Come Together, and I understand why it was included into History but it just breaks the flow of it.

By the way, some of you may consider lady in my life a filler but it was my parents song back in the day. The two of them had the Thriller album and my father dedicated that song to my mother. It is a nice filler cause that filler MADE me 10 years after the song was released. :D
That's a lovely story and I laughed out loud at the end, thanks for sharing. And everyone can see now how important song it is. :D

Thanks to every TLIMYL lover for the outrage! :punk:

Oh and Keep The Faith isn't a filler either. ;) Actually, Dangerous is a fillerless album, its flow is impeccable.

Don't walk away and MikeJack2005 explained very well why this last one is such a weak and unconvincing song.

MikeJac2005 said:
Don't Walk Away (IMO the worst track on Invincible, for me it's very boring, and vocally it sounds very safe for Michael. Nothing really happens in the song and it's got that Adult contemporary/easy listening feel.
Perfectly worded indeed. I couldn't explain even to myself what was wrong with it and not so MJ-ish about it, but now it's clear. Thanks!

TBH I have similar feelings toward YANA (at least that's better and more challenging vocally, but not too exiting either, and a bit aimed at the "contemporary/easy listening feel" too). *hides*

Last edited by Girl; Today at 08:42 PM. Reason: Had to add another word about the beauty of Speechless, which came on radio jusssst as I was writing this post :D
That's great! :)

Now Speechless is sort of an example of my overall problems with Invincible: I absolutely agree with you that it is one of "greatest, most beautiful and purest composition ever", and one of MJ's best vocals for me, so one of the best in his catalogue actually but... I would much more prefer a very simple, sort of quiet orchestration for it, without a choir, which accompanies his voice in an is almost unnoticeable way. I think it would work much better, as the - otherwise beautiful - music and choir is absolutely in contrast with the delicate, vulnerable nature of the song.

I never had this problem before with any MJ album, and even though I love many songs on Invincible and consider them more mature and better than some of the "famous" ones I can't get over this and (especially considering the circumstances around the time of making the album) can't stop wondering about "could have, should haves". :(

I'm glad you enjoy the song as it is though!

Last edited:
Yes, yes yes! *returning the high five* Say Say Say is fun, but it's The Man that is a gem. And that Girlfriend song... even MJ's great singing can't help me from cringing if I have to listen to it *hides from the fans of the song*.

Invincible is a bit complicated for me, as even though I grown to appreciate its more universal approach a lot I still can't get over two things: the overproduced sound and especially that the background vocal isn't just MJ's voice for the first time in history (OK, a bit of exaggeration here but I hope you know what I mean). I just can't get used to the latter. :(

To be perfectly fair Silky clarified later that filler wasn't the best expression to use. On OTW I consider It's The Falling in Love and Burn This Disco out fillers as well - don't get me wrong, both are great funky fun songs, but if Just Good Friends is a filler (and I can accept that IF we think of fillers as some playful, carefree bonus for MJ & Stevie on an otherwise tight album as Bad), than those are too, definitely.

Plus I agree that there are sometimes songs that are great but don't exactly fit into the album. E.g. I love Come Together, and I understand why it was included into History but it just breaks the flow of it.

That's a lovely story and I laughed out loud at the end, thanks for sharing. And everyone can see now how important song it is. :D

Thanks to every TLIMYL lover for the outrage! :punk:

Oh and Keep The Faith isn't a filler either. ;) Actually, Dangerous is a fillerless album, its flow is impeccable.

You're welcome :) Yes it is an important song but when I listen to that song with my parents I feel a little embarassed especially when Michael begs at the end. I feel like I'm interrupting a private moment. :D
By the way I also love Keep the Faith, its one of my favourites from Dangerous ;)

The filler on Thriller is The Girl Is Mine. :fear:

100% agreed. I couldn't remember what track 3 on Thriller was off the top of my head I had to look it up. Then I realised it's because I always skip it!

Last edited:
Nothing happens in Don't Walk Away but Lady in my Life is top tier? Hmm, ok..
If you ask me, nothing much happens in both songs. Nothing much happens in Stranger in Moscow as well :shrugmeme:

Nothing happens in Don't Walk Away but Lady in my Life is top tier? Hmm, ok..
If you ask me, nothing much happens in both songs. Nothing much happens in Stranger in Moscow as well :shrugmeme:

Lmao, Lady in My Life is sexy and sensual as hell! Pure r&b slow jam goodness. And MJs vocal is amazing honestly. No comparison with Don't Walk Away! Stranger In Moscow is more low key obvs but it's haunting, deep and beautiful. (Unlike Don't Walk Away lol) #Opinions

(Unlike Don't Walk Away lol

I try but all my paing gets in the waaaaay,
tell me what I have to do, so you'll staaaay...

...How can I begin to saaaay,
when there's nothing left to do but waaalk awaaaaay

:listeningtomusic:listeningtomusic:listeningtomusic

What’s with the Don’t Walk Away hate? I think it’s a gorgeous song that features with a great vocal delivery. You can just feel the emotion, the pain in his voice. If there is any filler song on Invincible, it’s the title track.

Nite Line;4275733 said:
If there is any filler song on Invincible, it’s the title track.

whatthef-custom.jpg

Nite Line;4275733 said:
What’s with the Don’t Walk Away hate? I think it’s a gorgeous song that features with a great vocal delivery. You can just feel the emotion, the pain in his voice. If there is any filler song on Invincible, it’s the title track.

Don't know. I also like the song...

Lmao, Lady in My Life is sexy and sensual as hell! Pure r&b slow jam goodness. And MJs vocal is amazing honestly. No comparison with Don't Walk Away! Stranger In Moscow is more low key obvs but it's haunting, deep and beautiful. (Unlike Don't Walk Away lol) #Opinions

I like the lady in my life too and stranger in Moscow is beautiful! One of my favourites.

Here's an unpopular opinion. I think Butterflies is one of the worst songs on Invincible

Butterflies just takes the most time to grow on you. It's a strange song. No flow, broken rhythm, unusual vocals (even for Michael's standards) and you can't really sing it under the shower.
This one really takes a lot from the listener. Took me around 2 months of repeated listening (every 2 days in average) to start appreciating it.
But that's just the thing with Invincible. Once you familiarise yourself enough with the songs, and are finally able to sing them on your own, you start to slowly understand the genius behind this album.

That is why I don't take people seriously when they say they don't like Invincible. Because I am 100% that the only thing seperating them from changing their opinion is more time with the album.

Michael Jackson sounds really bored and tired from start to finish while singing ‘Don’t Walk Away’, and also this song is the main culprit that makes the album’s second half feel like dragging on so much.

But there is also another issue with that song.

If you listen at 1:36-1:38, you realize that the word ‘understand’ is in a mysterious way cut off in two parts and thus that word sounds here very unnatural and weird.

About ‘Butterflies’, it would have worked better as a song (on the ‘Invincible’ album) if Michael Jackson sang it together as a duet with the English singer Marsha Ambrosius.

mj_frenzy;4275810 said:

If you listen at 1:36-1:38, you realize that the word ‘understand’ is in a mysterious way cut off in two parts and thus that word sounds here very unnatural and weird.

Honestly, some of you need to pick issue with everything. I don’t see anything wrong with the way he sings the word ‘understand.’ You are being a bit too meticulous.

I have colors of Invincible offcial Alternate Cover colors (I found old file from MJ webside)
Face:Eyes
Red - #9f1726:#691413
Blue - #38318b:#260953
Orange - #ed9404:#d65419
Green - #00a938:#015b1e
can do with you have your Invincible Alternate Cover that? plz

mj_frenzy;4275810 said:
Michael Jackson sounds really bored and tired from start to finish while singing ‘Don’t Walk Away’, and also this song is the main culprit that makes the album’s second half feel like dragging on so much.

About ‘Butterflies’, it would have worked better as a song (on the ‘Invincible’ album) if Michael Jackson sang it together as a duet with the English singer Marsha Ambrosius.

MAN! That have bugged me every since the first time i listened to the CD. That understand part.

Nite Line;4275733 said:
What’s with the Don’t Walk Away hate? I think it’s a gorgeous song that features with a great vocal delivery. You can just feel the emotion, the pain in his voice.
I don't hate it, there's nothing to hate about it, it's just a mediocre song for me I even tend to forget about. It's a good thing you enjoy it though.

And I agree with Silky that Invincible needs time and multiple listens to grow on you, it really does. I appreciate it so much more than I did at the time of its release, and it certainly broadened my "range".

Having said that, I think the circumstances really did influence the producing of the album and the selection of songs, and not always for the better (there's an overall "rushed" feeling about it). Don't get me wrong, MJ still did great despite the pressure, but this album always remains with unrealised possibilities (also in terms of MVs, performances, different takes or mixes). Nothing of this is really MJ's fault, but it's just sad, and I think it prevents me from enjoying the album as it is (I gladly listen to the songs individually though).

Last edited:
Having said that, I think the circumstances really did influence the producing of the album and the selection of songs, and not always for the better (there's an overall "rushed" feeling about it). Don't get me wrong, MJ still did great despite the pressure, but this album always remains with unrealised possibilities (also in terms of MVs, performances, different takes or mixes). Nothing of this is really MJ's fault, but it's just sad, and I think it prevents me from enjoying the album as it is (I gladly listen to the songs individually though).

This is the reason I did this project in the first place. Aside from lack of promo (singles, performances, videos etc) Invincible gets overlooked because of certain songs in my opinion that shouldn't be on there. I think it has a higher percentage of "meh" songs and ballads than is usual for a Michael Jackson album. And sadly I think this clouds the perception of the whole thing. Whether that was down to MJs state of mind at the time, too many influences or people's input (loads of writers and background vocalists for example), insecurity, bad management or Sonys pressure and taking creative control from Michael, I'm not sure. But the fact that we have Don't Walk Away or Cry in place of We've Had Enough or Blue Gangsta proves to me that talent is not the issue. And actually, as I've said, I love 11 out of 16 songs, they're gems. To me that's a good/great album, and it has a sentimental place in my heart as the first new MJ album I was old enough to buy myself at age 11. (I'm 29) I wore that CD out for years thereafter. I actually play Invincible more than Thriller (my least fave MJ album, unpopular opinion I know)

11 great tracks IMO are let down by 5 duds. Which is why I removed and replaced with 4 I believe would turn this album from great to amazing. Not as a disrespect to Michael but more because of the circumstances surrounding the making of the album.

All started with refreshing the artwork though, that was the biggest job!

I have colors of Invincible offcial Alternate Cover colors (I found old file from MJ webside)
Face:Eyes
Red - #9f1726:#691413
Blue - #38318b:#260953
Orange - #ed9404:#d65419
Green - #00a938:#015b1e
can do with you have your Invincible Alternate Cover that? plz

Sorry I don't quite understand this, are you asking me to create additional colour variants?

Back