Invincible? (The song)

you might have a point, but think about e.g. "This time around", it's much more repeating...

Been listening to the track - 'Invincible' for the past hour :heart:
Is just brilliant. To me doesn't get too repetitive! The adlibs make up for it in the latter part of the song. Very addictive song to get into :p

I like Invincible, but it's no Unbreakable, Threatened..... or.... Speechless.... :cry:

Was this, the original Invincible thread?

Yeah I like it, more than some others of his songs actually

It's got a nice vocal melody. Taken straight from can't get your weight off me. But that song has a nicer instrumental to me.

It has a nice melody but it is one of my least favourite songs by MJ.

I don’t get what MJ means when he sings about a girl being Invincible because she rejects him. That makes no sense to me. Before I heard the song for the first time, I thought it would be about Michael singing how he is invincible despite everything he has been through.

The bridge is catchy but otherwise I think it's a mediocre song that should've been cut from the album. The song is like a weaker version of Unbreakable.

Reading positive comments from people that no longer post really makes me feel like the fanbase changed over the years. For the worst.

Reading positive comments from people that no longer post really makes me feel like the fanbase changed over the years. For the worst.
So fans are expected to like every song for the sake of being positive?

Invincible (The song) is one of his manliest sounding songs and that makes it special.
I always saw it as a mix of Heartbreaker and Unbreakable. Harder than Unbreakable, playful like Heartbreaker.

I don’t get what MJ means when he sings about a girl being Invincible because she rejects him. That makes no sense to me.
The textbook definition of Invincible is "Too powerful to be defeated or overcome". Basically like unflappable or conviction. MJ is trying to win her heart, but she won't be having any of his advances. She's too cool for him. It's basically The Way You Make Me Feel in the 2000s. Which isn't the most epic title track idea, but it isn't that far off from, say, Dangerous. Or You Rock My World.

Also, there's a Prince reference in this song.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to this track, but I think it's one of the absolute worst tracks on this album, and is Michael's worst title track in his life time. Unbreakable was a good start to the album, Heartbreaker...same genre, a step down. Then we get to this song....again same genre and even more a step below Unbreakable.

I'm sorry but it's just not that good.

The "diamonds and pearls" line is not necessarily a reference to Prince because the 'Invincible' song has 4 other co-writers, so any of these 4 could have written that line.

But Prince did make a clear and nasty reference to Michael Jackson (about his rhinoplasty) in his 'Life 'O' The Party' song (from his 'Musicology' album released in 2004).

The "diamonds and pearls" line is not necessarily a reference to Prince because the 'Invincible' song has 4 other co-writers, so any of these 4 could have written that line.

But Prince did make a clear and nasty reference to Michael Jackson (about his rhinoplasty) in his 'Life 'O' The Party' song (from his 'Musicology' album released in 2004).
Yeah. That was unnecessary. I don’t know why he felt the need to include that reference. It’s a shame, because I like the Musicology album.

The textbook definition of Invincible is "Too powerful to be defeated or overcome". Basically like unflappable or conviction. MJ is trying to win her heart, but she won't be having any of his advances. She's too cool for him. It's basically The Way You Make Me Feel in the 2000s. Which isn't the most epic title track idea, but it isn't that far off from, say, Dangerous. Or You Rock My World.

Also, there's a Prince reference in this song.
Thank you for your reply.

I do know the meaning of the word "Invincible." I just think that it is a bit strange to use it in the context of a girl rejecting your advances. I would think Michael would use the word "Invincible" to describe himself, when dealing with the endless attacks from the media.

I have a difficult time with the song Invincible...
I always have a great time listening to it - WHEN I listen to it, which happens pretty rarely actually.
The song's just not on my radar for some reason... Probably the one MJ song I always forget about, although it's not even my least favourite I would say! It's a tad strange.

The fact there is so many guys writing is what convinced me it is a Prince reference. That's definitely what a black MJ fanboy from the 80s would do, lol.

Thank you for your reply.

I do know the meaning of the word "Invincible." I just think that it is a bit strange to use it in the context of a girl rejecting your advances. I would think Michael would use the word "Invincible" to describe himself, when dealing with the endless attacks from the media.
Well, at the end of the day, MJ is a humble guy. Saying you're Unbreakable is just an affirmation for being strong. Saying you're invincible is an outright brag.

He did vicariously say that, through the album itself. But, I love the name Invincible for what it's worth. No other title sounds anywhere near as good and nobody should disagree with that. Maybe they don't like the song itself but that name goes hard.

In the context of the lyrics, it is a bit funny but it's unique. Idk. I lost my thought

Back