Is leave me alone on the LP release of Bad?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
It wasn’t in the 80s, is it part of the album now or doesn’t it fit on it?
I assume there is an LP version of Bad in stores right?

Imo it isn’t even part of the bad era even if it actually is lol.
I think with the video and lyrical content it is much more part of the 90s when MJ started to fight back the press.

This wasn't unique to Bad. It was somewhat common in the 1980s for the cassette (and later CD) versions of albums to have extra songs or a different mix of certain songs. This even happened a little bit in the 8-track tape days in the 1970s. But it was really common for 8-tracks to have the songs in a different order than the record, cassette, & reel-to-reel tape versions. It was also usual for songs on pre-recorded 8-tracks to fade out and then fade back in when it went to the next program. Also, with a tape or CD, you couldn't play it backwards like a record, which sometimes had backwards stuff on it (eg. Darling Nikki). I think a reel-to-reel tape could be played backwards though. There's also unlisted/hidden songs on albums. Some people think this started in the 1990s CD era, but I think this began in the 1960s.

Leave Me Alone is CD exclusive, it's from original sessions and got released on day one as well as other songs
Cassette anniversary editions of the 'BAD' album (released in 2001) also include 'Leave Me Alone' in the track list.
This wasn't unique to Bad. It was somewhat common in the 1980s for the cassette (and later CD) versions of albums to have extra songs or a different mix of certain songs. This even happened a little bit in the 8-track tape days in the 1970s. But it was really common for 8-tracks to have the songs in a different order than the record, cassette, & reel-to-reel tape versions. It was also usual for songs on pre-recorded 8-tracks to fade out and then fade back in when it went to the next program. Also, with a tape or CD, you couldn't play it backwards like a record, which sometimes had backwards stuff on it (eg. Darling Nikki). I think a reel-to-reel tape could be played backwards though. There's also unlisted/hidden songs on albums. Some people think this started in the 1990s CD era, but I think this began in the 1960s.
It started with the 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' album released by The Rolling Stones in 1967 (the hidden track was called 'Cosmic Christmas').

The question basically was if LMA is on current vinyl pressings of the bad album

The maximum duration of a 12 inch side is reported to be 23 minute.
If you take original album
Another Part Of Me -> Smooth Criminal = 22:51
Another Part Of Me -> Leave Me Alone = 27:31 --> Longer support required.

But then on Bad 25
Another Part Of Me -> Leave Me Alone = 27:06 --> Some trick to bypass the 23 minutes limit? Technology evolved? Never really paid attention, but wondering now.

Last edited:
That's not exactly true. You can put more time than that, but if you do the sound quality decreases. The compilation record label K-Tel often put too many songs on a record, and they didn't sound that good. On a cassette it didn't make as much of a difference, becasue cassettes can be different lengths. The sound quality of a picture disc is usually less than a regular record, no matter low long it is. There was also albums that were 16 RPM speed instead of 33 which could hold more time, but these were mostly used for speeches, plays, or talking in which the sound quality didn't matter as much.

The only vinyl release I can remember that has Leave me Alone on it is the 2009 Music on Vinyl release. As far as I can remember all other releases stay true to the original tracklisting.

I'll just sum up everything that has been said:

- No. The current pressings are akin to the original 1987 one.
- Leave Me Alone was a CD exclusive to boost the sales of the "then-new" format that ended up being released as a single itself in 1989.
- Only the 2009 Music on Vinyl pressing has it.

The cassette of Bad I bought (here in The Netherlands) in '87 does have 'Leave Me Alone' on it, it is some kind of special edition. Have to look at my parents house for it

I’m not familiar with the bad tour dates very much but I wondered why Liberian girl and leave me alone weren’t part of the setlist in the last couple of shows in 1989, all the other singles were promoted on tour. I would guess the main reason is that the last shows were in the USA while both singles were not released over there.

I’m not familiar with the bad tour dates very much but I wondered why Liberian girl and leave me alone weren’t part of the setlist in the last couple of shows in 1989, all the other singles were promoted on tour. I would guess the main reason is that the last shows were in the USA while both singles were not released over there.
Because MJ wouldn't bother adding two unrehearsed songs to the 5 final shows of the tour, which were even rescheduled from their original November 1988 dates due to MJ being sick.

Yeah, you can definitely squeeze more audio onto a record. Won't sound as good one that sticks to the recommended amount of time, though.
But most people back then had a cheap component stereo or a cheap portable radio/tape player, so the sound quality was not as noticeable. The sound quality of a recording can be more heard if a person had a higher quality stereo or audiophile equipment. I remember reading that Motown in the 1960s would master their recordings to sound good on small transistor radios & the AM only radios that were in cars of the time. Not so much for high end stereos, because most people did not have that.

But most people back then had a cheap component stereo or a cheap portable radio/tape player, so the sound quality was not as noticeable. The sound quality of a recording can be more heard if a person had a higher quality stereo or audiophile equipment. I remember reading that Motown in the 1960s would master their recordings to sound good on small transistor radios & the AM only radios that were in cars of the time. Not so much for high end stereos, because most people did not have that.
It's true. None of us had posh equipment back then. Cheap and cheerful. :)

Because MJ wouldn't bother adding two unrehearsed songs to the 5 final shows of the tour, which were even rescheduled from their original November 1988 dates due to MJ being sick.
The original Bad Single Run, 1987 to 1988, that was what was intended for a concert stadium show imo. And Smooth Criminal was certainly easy to convert. But idk. Leave Me Alone and Liberian Girl didn't have the same feeling. Specifically with that epic video format, that wouldn't have worked. And just singing Leave Me Alone for 5 minutes didn't seem like MJs forte lol. At least not yet.

If you take original album
Another Part Of Me -> Smooth Criminal = 22:51
Another Part Of Me -> Leave Me Alone = 27:31 --> Longer support required.

But then on Bad 25
Another Part Of Me -> Leave Me Alone = 27:06 --> Some trick to bypass the 23 minutes limit? Technology evolved? Never really paid attention, but wondering now.

BAD has been edited since it's release. They removed the spoken intro of I Just Can't Stop Loving You, and made some other adjustments. It's just a tiny difference in running time, but may be that allows for the inclusion of Leave Me Alone on BAD 25 lp.

BAD has been edited since it's release. They removed the spoken intro of I Just Can't Stop Loving You, and made some other adjustments. It's just a tiny difference in running time, but may be that allows for the inclusion of Leave Me Alone on BAD 25 lp.
Not to mention Dirty Diana fades out earlier and TWYMMF's single mix is also shorter iirc.

They should have included Leave Me Alone and made Just Good Friends the CD bonus track. I would have configured it differently too, like this:

Side A
THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL
ANOTHER PART OF ME
SPEED DEMON
LIBERIAN GIRL
SMOOTH CRIMINAL

Side B
BAD
DIRTY DIANA
CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU
LEAVE ME ALONE
MAN IN THE MIRROR

-
CD Only Bonus: JUST GOOD FRIENDS

Last edited:
They should have included Leave Me Alone and made Just Good Friends the CD bonus track. I would have configured it differently too, like this:

Side A
THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL
ANOTHER PART OF ME
SPEED DEMON
LIBERIAN GIRL
SMOOTH CRIMINAL

Side B
BAD
DIRTY DIANA
CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU
LEAVE ME ALONE
MAN IN THE MIRROR

-
CD Only Bonus: JUST GOOD FRIENDS
Bad not being the opener feels so weird.

Not really, that difference is already taken into account in my calculations.

Bad not being the opener feels so weird.
I've played this configuration for years now and it flows really well. A bit like Thriller in a way with Bad opening side 2 following Smooth Criminal closing side 1 in the same way as Thriller and Beat It. I always saw Bad as another another Beat It anyway. TWYMMF opening Side 1 like WBSS did on Thriller. Liberian Girl flows into Smooth Criminal beautifully and Man In The Mirror closes the album perfectly just like it did on tour. All just my own personal preference of course.

Last edited:
I've played this configuration for years now and it flows really well.
That was my first thought when I saw your re-worked track listing, how well it would flow.

A bit like Thriller in a way with Bad opening side 2 following Smooth Criminal closing side 1 in the same way as Thriller and Beat It. TWYMMF opening Side 1 like WBSS did on Thriller.
Opening Side 2 with Bad? Classic move. SC to close Side 1 and MITM to close out the album? Brilliant.

As a CD customer I'm not thrilled by JGF as a 'bonus' track, lol. But I love this version of yours, I think it's great.

Back