Its funny/annoying that like Xscape the next posthumous we will already have heard a big part of it

Dilan

Proud Member
Just before this big leak I feel like by the next time a posthumous album comes either this or next year probably I felt like we would have already heard none of it any of it because the only stuff online with full lyrics was the dangerous demos and i couldnt see them using she got it or serious effect or another era like i am a loser etc. But now with Chicago 45, throwing your life away, Dream away etc it wont be a complete surprise. At least so far it probably wont be 80% of the album we have already heard like xscape

You do realize that if/when they're put on an album they'll be remixed so in a way they will sound like "new songs" still. There's no need to worry about the surprise being ruined.

I honestly don't think they'll be another posthumous album any time soon. I can see them just releasing singles once every so often.

Not just because the unreleased material is drying up, but worse the Estate probably don't have access or permission to use most of it. Like Chicago 1945, Dream Away and the Will I Am tracks

I honestly don't think they'll be another posthumous album any time soon. I can see them just releasing singles once every so often.

Not just because the unreleased material is drying up, but worse the Estate probably don't have access or permission to use most of it. Like Chicago 1945, Dream Away and the Will I Am tracks
That was what they intended to do in 2018 and I can see them bring that up again for their next project. Anything would be better than leaving fans in the dark for almost 8 years tbh.

I think if there's anything released with the Biopic it'll be a compilation album with maybe one new track (Still find that unlikely)

I think if there's anything released with the Biopic it'll be a compilation album with maybe one new track (Still find that unlikely)
That's it mate, I can see them playing an unreleased song over the credits of the biopic and then releasing it as a single to a compilation album from the film.
The music of Michael or something similar

That was what they intended to do in 2018 and I can see them bring that up again for their next project. Anything would be better than leaving fans in the dark for almost 8 years tbh.
It's such a shame they took so long to get into gear before 2019. I think the lack of communication between the Estate and fans made it worse as well

I think the best way to release new music is a single every half year or so, maybe 3 songs a year.

On an album like Xscape many songs gets ignored by the major public and will never get any attention. If a MJ single is released as a stand-alone single it will get attention and radioplay I think. In 2023 with streaming and internet, an album is not nearly as important as it once was. On an album many songs "drown".

From Xscape I think songs like Loving You, Blue Gangsta and Xscape - maybe also APWNN - could have gained much more attention and airplay had they been released on their own as singles. The only song that was really played, and still is, is LNFSG - the rest of the songs drowned in that singles succes.

SO I would prefer a single to drop every 4 months and get attention.

i don't care, since there won't be any posthumous release with unreleased songs.

for the biopic, they could release a banger single + album. (my wishful thinking)

what will happen:
we get another compilation album for the biopic.

Assuming that there would be more albums...

I don't think the leaks change much.
The albums will be for wide audience that doesn't necessarily pay attention to MJ's leaks and will discover the songs on the radio...

People who are into MJ's works enough to have heard all the leaks will likely buy the album anyway, just to have the official release as well...
Sure, it won't be like waiting for the "next" Dangerous.

(What bothers me is that I may end up finding that some of the leaks are actually better "mastered" than the album.)

Given the disappointment of the sound quality on Thriller 40, I hope they have a rethink before releasing more unreleased material.

It's their job to preserve and sustain Michael's artistic legacy, they should be releasing unreleased material as it was, but mixed and mastered correctly

Yeah, the sound quality has been shocking when it comes to the demos for literally no reason. I'm not expecting it to get better.

I think the best way to release new music is a single every half year or so, maybe 3 songs a year.
Love this idea. It would be great if MJE would give this a try.

On an album like Xscape many songs gets ignored by the major public and will never get any attention. If a MJ single is released as a stand-alone single it will get attention and radioplay I think. In 2023 with streaming and internet, an album is not nearly as important as it once was. On an album many songs "drown".
In the world of streaming these figures might be fairly modest but I think it shows the potential of Michael's songs if they were marketed differently.

Data from Oct 2022

From Xscape I think songs like Loving You, Blue Gangsta and Xscape - maybe also APWNN - could have gained much more attention and airplay had they been released on their own as singles. The only song that was really played, and still is, is LNFSG - the rest of the songs drowned in that singles succes.
Maybe that's why LNFSG is doing pretty well on Spotify. Data from 29 Jan 2023. Chicago is still holding up.

SO I would prefer a single to drop every 4 months and get attention.
I'd love them to try it for a couple of years, see what happens.

You do realize that if/when they're put on an album they'll be remixed so in a way they will sound like "new songs" still. There's no need to worry about the surprise being ruined.
Noone cares about contemporary versions of vocals we've already heard

Xscape 2014 release was a huge dissapointment to me,only some of the bonus tracks was good imo.I enjoyed 4-5 songs on the Michael album MUCH more than anything on Xscape.​

Edit:sorry for the huge black font and letters,cant change it on my old tablet…weird​

The solution is simple - just don't listen to the leaks 🙂
Right, people often seem to forget that those leaks were never intended to see the light of day until an official release happens. Stuff like this is exactly why I avoid them. I've said it before and I'll say it again: people shouldn't complain about previously leaked songs getting officially released, because 1) listening to those leaks is a choice, and 2) like i said, they were never intended to surface this way in the first place.

For the record, I don't blame people for listening to leaks. I personally avoid them like I said, but I can understand the curiosity. Songs that were left in a very early draft state, especially, will probably never be released anyway. Although, even when it comes to finished songs I do not judge people for it. Point still stands though that the leaks aren't official releases, and so whenever they do get officially released, we shouldn't complain/be surprised.

And I also understand the frustration at the estate being slow, but truth be told I have no clue about all the ins and outs that are going on behind the scenes. It's extremely easy to say the estate is "lazy", but again, we don't actually know every single detail. When it comes to official channels, bureaucracy is extremely common and can't always be avoided. All we get to see as fans is what the estate decides to show us. Don't get me wrong, I am not absolving them - this is exactly why I'm a big proponent of increased transparency, so that we actually know what's going on. That will kill any assumptions on our end. But I stand by my point that automatically assuming the negative is the easy way out.

At the same time though, I am also of the opinion that none of Michael's posthumous releases will ever match the legacy he already built while he was still alive, and I say this as someone who likes the posthumous tracks for the record (some of them are among my personal favorites, even). But this has little to do with myself and moreso the general public perception. This doesn't mean I'm against posthumous releases, quite far from it, but I personally don't mind them being sparse since truth be told, I think the fact we're getting them in the first place is already quite something. There are artists who either don't want any posthumous releases once they die, or whose archives have already been destroyed, whether they wanted that or not. I see them as a treat, not something we are owed. I understand I'm in the minority with this, though.

Completely agree. I’m honestly shocked at how terrible the demos on Thriller 40 and XSCAPE sound. It might be the most willfully terrible quality I’ve ever heard on a A-list commercial release.
Not to mention some aren't even the most recent versions (Xscape album).

I welcome the leaks and will listen to them. I don’t expect another posthumous album like Xscape or Michael. However, it they do release something, I will buy and support it. Not enough people listen to the leaks to really have a big impact on sales numbers. There are a lot of leaks out there so it’s obvious if they were to release something we will have heard it before. We had heard just about everything on Xscape prior to release I don’t think that had much of an impact on sales. What did hurt the sales was poor selection on producers. A few of the songs could have been big hits. Timbaland ruined them all.

If something comes out, through proper channels or not, I'm going to listen to it.

I'm not going to avoid a leak for years on end in the very slim chance it could get released by the Estate.

Hearing new mixes for the Xscape songs was cool, but for me it was just nice to see MJ at number one again.

The only reason LNFSG did well and still doing well on Spotify, is because they did a good job finishing it. The sound fits the lyrics.
(minus Loving You...that one was done well, and the 1st part of Blue Gangsta) everything they did to those songs should be criminal. Xscape was fine the way it was left from 2001/02, the rock version of She Was Loving Me (Chicago) is the best one, as are the 2010 versions of Slave, Blue Gangsta and Children. The original A Place With No Name was fine too.

Any future work should be carefully considered. Most of what's been leaked that Michael left behind IMO don't need to be touched...unless it's a song like Faces, Seeing Voices I Have This Dream or People Of The World that could use other artists involvement to finalize them (an anthem like We Are The World, etc)....so long as what Michael left with his vocals on are left alone.

I Think it's all about taste. For example I adore the Timbaland's version of Slave to The Rhythm and the New Xscape. IMO those songs glow up in their new form. The Original Version of SttR is kinda dull while Tricky's Mix sounds extremely cheap. I don't think that there will be any Album project that can satisfy everyone. That's why I believe the best way to keep Michael's Legacy is via Single Releases throughout the year(s).

I like and have accepted most of the new versions of these tracks. And I still don't see a reason to complain about these songs just being served up twice.

But the irony of this whole thing is I just tried to play Chicago 1945 for my brother and he turned it off saying

"I hate them trying to MODERNIZE HIS GENIUS"

like.. ok, nice sentiment, but here? Really

Back