It's kind of hard to believe that Triumph album was really exclusivly produced by The Jacksons

Jaburu

Proud Member
Destiny is "ok", and Victory a disaster.
Triumph seams to be on a whole diferent level. Maybe Quiny lent a hand there without beeing mentioned?

at first sight I thought the thread title goes like that:

It's kind of hard to believe that Trump really exclusivly produced The Jacksons

MJ confirmed in his autobiography Moonwalk that Quincy didn't work on Triumph, saying that a number of songs could have benefited from his input.

Also, Destiny was better than Triumph.

Also, Destiny was better than Triumph.

musicly we can argue about that, production wise? hell no

MJ confirmed in his autobiography Moonwalk that Quincy didn't work on Triumph, saying that a number of songs could have benefited from his input.

very intesting that he even would talk about that there. So I am not the first one who suspected this?

Why is it so hard to believe? Didnā€™t Michael once said he was a veteran aged 20? They had so much experience in the studio, all five of them.

Destiny is "ok", and Victory a disaster.
Triumph seams to be on a whole diferent level. Maybe Quiny lent a hand there without beeing mentioned?
First, I'll defend Victory: give a chance to the non-MJ songs, and you'll see they're all great; just program Be Not Always so that it ENDS the album, and add Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming somewhere in there for added MJ and Jermaine goodness. Also, The Hurt was co-written by MJ, and it shows in that it's a KILLER track, and Michael and Jermaine's adlibs on Wait are gold.

With that out of the way, I do think the Jacksons got help with production duties on both Destiny and Triumph. With Destiny, it was a big part of the PR for that release that it was self-produced, and the album jacket even came with a picture of them standing behing a mixing desk. But "executive producer" Bobby Colomby probably was around the studio a lot to help with the technical aspects.

Triumph has Greg Phillinganes as "associate producer", and again, one imagines that he did a lot of the heavy lifting. One doesn't just start producing albums like that all of a sudden, especially when, like most of the Jacksons, you're not a musician. It's telling that the brothers -- including MJ -- didn't do a lot of producing on their own later on in their careers.

First, I'll defend Victory: give a chance to the non-MJ songs, and you'll see they're all great; just program Be Not Always so that it ENDS the album, and add Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming somewhere in there for added MJ and Jermaine goodness. Also, The Hurt was co-written by MJ, and it shows in that it's a KILLER track, and Michael and Jermaine's adlibs on Wait are gold.

I was talking about the production. Victory isn't really an album in that sense, more like a compilation of seprate projects.
The Hurt IS a killer song!!!

Back