Jackie wilson such a Underrated Talent

I do understand this but my guys did have loud bass guitars. So, you know ...
:ROFLMAO: Rebel louder than their basses? LOL I kid, I kid. Or do I...??? 🤔
I think for me it was always balanced by all my other music. Tamla, soul, reggae, funk. All of the different stuff I loved. Otoh, I had my guys prancing around looking ridiculous - which I loved - and otoh there was JB (ha!) keeping it real. So it was a good mix.
I knew it!! Zinnia is a Belieber!! You have been exposed!! 🧐
LOL yes I had to do it again, I'm sorry. :ROFLMAO: Obviously you mean James Brown, whom I actually also adore.

Oh and I actually love a wide plethora of music as well, including music that you (and many other people on here, I'm afraid... lol) would consider to be "mindless noise". Not extreme metal or anything (that... isn't my thing at all, lol), but more like... Electronic music, for example, y'know with "fake instruments". Yeah, a lot of people on here don't like that sorta thing and I respect that, haha. But at the same time I love classical music, world music... There's actually very little I don't at least like, especially in terms of genre (except for aforementioned extreme metal... Especially black metal, since I also tend to disapprove of its lyrical content).
Jackie was a god. Jackie had it all. ❤️
I should check him out properly, now that I'm here anyway. 😁 Again I probably do know a few of his songs, I just never associated them with him, most likely. But it's never too late to find more!

:ROFLMAO: Rebel louder than their basses? LOL I kid, I kid. Or do I...??? 🤔

I knew it!! Zinnia is a Belieber!! You have been exposed!! 🧐
I mean, just the word 'belieber'. It's just so 🤮

Is that really the best they could come up with? Fortunately in my day we didn't have ridiculous nicknames. You liked a band. And, er, that was it.

LOL yes I had to do it again, I'm sorry. :ROFLMAO:
You are just like f&m. Unspeakably evil. :D

Obviously you mean James Brown, whom I actually also adore.
JB. That's all.

Oh and I actually love a wide plethora of music as well, including music that you (and many other people on here, I'm afraid... lol) would consider to be "mindless noise". Not extreme metal or anything (that... isn't my thing at all, lol), but more like... Electronic music, for example, y'know with "fake instruments".
Yeah, electronic music isn't my biggest fave. There are always examples to break the rule. Gary Numan. Very early Ultravox with John Foxx. But not the heavy duty stuff. And I'll take real instruments any day over a synth. But it depends. If it's Keith Emerson then, bring it on!

Yeah, a lot of people on here don't like that sorta thing and I respect that, haha. But at the same time I love classical music, world music... There's actually very little I don't at least like, especially in terms of genre (except for aforementioned extreme metal... Especially black metal, since I also tend to disapprove of its lyrical content).
Black metal leaves me cold. Metal in general is not for me. Folk doesn't generally speak to me that much. Country is not my fave. I can take some country pop rock. Not so much the trad stuff. All those murder ballads. All the nasal vocals. Those twangy guitars. Ach!

Classical music I'm fine with although not so much opera. Really don't like opera voices. All I can hear is the training. Gah!

I should check him out properly, now that I'm here anyway. 😁 Again I probably do know a few of his songs, I just never associated them with him, most likely. But it's never too late to find more!
oh, you should. Me and f&m have posted various Jackie vids here and there. It's probably on this thread already but let me post you one of my top faves. You basically have to indulge me bc you insulted me by calling me a 'belieber' 🤮 and there is really nothing you can ever do to make that better but you *can* put up with me posting something that you might already have seen.

hang on ...

Jackie Wilson / Baby Workout / on Shindig 1965

Jackie influenced Elvis as well as Michael

oh, you should. Me and f&m have posted various Jackie vids here and there. It's probably on this thread already but let me post you one of my top faves. You basically have to indulge me bc you insulted me by calling me a 'belieber' 🤮 and there is really nothing you can ever do to make that better but you *can* put up with me posting something that you might already have seen.
LOL alright, I'll soften the blow a bit by checking out some Jackie Wilson stuff tomorrow. But I have to admit, you have kinda opened the floodgates now with that bit. :devilish: :ROFLMAO:

@staywild23 posted this excerpt on another thread but bc it has good stuff to say about Jackie I thought I'd re-post it over here.

mSpD55sl.jpg

@staywild23 posted this excerpt on another thread but bc it has good stuff to say about Jackie I thought I'd re-post it over here.

mSpD55sl.jpg
GOD. I either completely forgot about this (probably it, lol, let's be real) or simply haven't seen this before period, but I love everything about this. The Michael bits, of course (ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SEX APPEAL!!!!!) but the comparisons between Michael and Jackie Wilson are also very interesting! What book was this from, again? Now I am curious. 🤔

GOD. I either completely forgot about this (probably it, lol, let's be real) or simply haven't seen this before period, but I love everything about this. The Michael bits, of course (ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SEX APPEAL!!!!!) but the comparisons between Michael and Jackie Wilson are also very interesting! What book was this from, again? Now I am curious. 🤔
Dunno.

Calling @staywild23

I think this is from that Time magazine article I shared.... isn't it @zinniabooklover ??? I feel like they mention his sex appeal several times and yet, as always, not enough.
Actually, that kinda rings a bell from your post where I found this. But which thread? The one where you posted that Time article? I dunno. I came across it while looking for something else entirely, threw that excerpt over here and carried on. Can't remember owt else.

Do you think my application to MJE for the post of Senior Archivist will be successful?

Actually, that kinda rings a bell from your post where I found this. But which thread? The one where you posted that Time article? I dunno. I came across it while looking for something else entirely, threw that excerpt over here and carried on. Can't remember owt else.
I think I created a new thread for that, didn't I? But I think you found a different version online because reading the photos I uploaded was kind of tough and then you posted that somewhere else...?

Honestly, how can you even ask me this? I don't remember what photos I've seen, or not seen. I don't remember the things I've said. I don't remember who I am or want to be. I am just a blob of pulsing MJ love.

Do you think my application to MJE for the post of Senior Archivist will be successful?
I will approve your application. Truly, no one else deserves it or could handle it.

I think this is from that Time magazine article I shared.... isn't it @zinniabooklover ??? I feel like they mention his sex appeal several times and yet, as always, not enough.
Huh that's actually surprising, I had assumed it came from a book! But Time, of all things... Interesting, to say the least. They aren't always this positive, right?

Huh that's actually surprising, I had assumed it came from a book! But Time, of all things... Interesting, to say the least. They aren't always this positive, right?

IF I am correct about this (which I very well may not be) it was from 1984. And it was an odd article lol.

"Odd" as in bad? Man, that's a shame. I can at least appreciate this little bit though.
No, honestly. Just odd lol. To me, it just seems the writer has no idea what to do with MJ and doens't really know how to address the gravity of who he is. And by that I don't mean his fame. I just mean the gravity of his presence, personality, talent, character, etc.

But I do recall that initially zinnia felt the same, but upon rereading it she ended up loving it. I still only read it once, so maybe I'd feel the same!

No, honestly. Just odd lol. To me, it just seems the writer has no idea what to do with MJ and doens't really know how to address the gravity of who he is. And by that I don't mean his fame. I just mean the gravity of his presence, personality, talent, character, etc.

But I do recall that initially zinnia felt the same, but upon rereading it she ended up loving it. I still only read it once, so maybe I'd feel the same!
I've bumped the thread

'Mr Excitement', Jackie Wilson interviewed by disc jockey, Norm N. Nite of WCBS, New York

3m 45s

A lyric from Hozier:

"We'll name our children Jackie and Wilson, 'raise em on rhythm and blues"

(from 'Jackie and Wilson' by Andrew Hozier-Byrne)

"And there's this: "He loved opera," says playwright Taylor. "But it was hard enough just being a black singer, let alone being a black opera singer." That love came through in "The Night," a 1960 hit that reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Wilson cracked the pop Top 10 just six times. But on the R&B charts, 15 of Wilson's records were Top 10 hits."

not underrated whatsoever. His time was simply before black artists could become totally mainstream. Elvis took (literally) his style to the mainstream lol

great singer
I like Just Be Sincere, Whispers (Gettin' Louder), That's Why (I Love You So)

Back