Jackie wilson such a Underrated Talent

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
One of the Greatest Ever. the all around artist. Mr.excitement and the Brother was scary bad. on stage he was all that. grooving to the Man non stop this weekend. speak on the Man.

He was pretty damn good. I marked out when Stevie Wonder broke out "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher" on the talkbox.

Lonely Teardrops is a great track too.

jackie%20wilson.gif

"Mr. Excitement" himself... RIP

Jackie Wilson was one of the greats. I listen to his version of "Danny Boy" all the time on utube. He was also a fantastic live performer. I really believe Elvis was influenced by JW a lot. Even the pic that Timmy posted above reminds me of one of Elvis' moves--not that he had that many.

I can see why he was also an influence on Mike. Mike knew greatness when he saw it--the "real" entertainers.

He is underrated indeed, but he was a great singer and really an electrifying performer. He was the total package. "Lonely Teardrops" & "Night" are my fave songs of his.

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT'S MY FAVE PIC OF HIM TIMMY! LOL omg i love me some jackie wilson....*sings reete petite*

In 1992/1993, I turned my sister Pam on to The Best of Jackie Wilson...our favorite song to dance to in the rain at 4:00 am in the morning (chinese fire drill) to "Reete Petite"...

At that time period in my life, I would not have had the courage to do such a thing...but thanks to one of my very best friend (remember that?) & sis Pam breaking me out of my shell...Giggles...

Sis Pam used to tell me for God sake Susie live a little..!

Gosh we had soo much fun...

Last edited:
I know Jackie Wilson was a huge influence on Michael. His song Reet Petite was posthumous No1 in the UK in 1986. I remember it had an animated Claymation video just like Michael did for Speed Demon in Moonwalker.

I wouldn't say Jackie Wilson was underrated, just that his music and talent don't get the music exposer it deserves. But that happens with a lot of influencial artists, as most artists no matter how great they are stuck to a certain era of music then forgotten. Only a few artists like Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon etc live on forever.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Jackie was on mob run label Brunswick. He wanted to leave but couldn't.
if you remember the scene in Robert Towensend's the 5 heartbeats where the artist went to talk to Red about his royality and red and crew held dude over the balcony and told him when company hours were. well that part was about Jackie Wilson being held over.

the Mob runs all the labels but things back then were more direct and open about it.

if you remember the scene in Robert Towensend's the 5 heartbeats where the artist went to talk to Red about his royality and red and crew held dude over the balcony and told him when company hours were. well that part was about Jackie Wilson being held over.

the Mob runs all the labels but things back then were more direct and open about it.

It's been said that the mafia killed Sam Cooke because he wouldn't sell his record label and publishing to them. The official story was a cover up.

one of the good things about being an mj fan is that it opens you up to so many more artists that you would probably have never really known about if u werent a fan. jackie being one of them. mj also owns one of his songs lol

I knew about Jackie around '88, same year I heard about James and Sammy and 'em. I was lucky to have known about Michael's influences, I was only four and I knew who they were after hearing their oldies and hearing so much about their histories. I wish people my age were that lucky.

yeah i first heard of jackie in the mid 80s when he had a number one in the UK. but being a fan of mj opens u up to artists u would have never really known about before

Think Twice (with Lavern Baker)

This is one of my faves called "Think Twice", released in 1965.
[youtube]itEacFUuZ38&fmt=18[/youtube]
This is a joke version that was recorded during the same session but not released at the time, for obivious reasons. It's kind of nasty and has dirty language. I generally don't care for profanity, but I just find it interesting that it was recorded in the 1960s at all.

[youtube]Pwf7VrcyyK0&fmt=18[/youtube]

Re: Think Twice (with Lavern Baker)

This is a joke version that was recorded during the same session but not released at the time, for obivious reasons. It's kind of nasty and has dirty language. I generally don't care for profanity, but I just find it interesting that it was recorded in the 1960s at all.
they reminded me of fred sanford and aunt esther on sanford and son. that was funny and cracked me up you right about that time period and hearing it like that.

one of the good things about being an mj fan is that it opens you up to so many more artists that you would probably have never really known about if u werent a fan. jackie being one of them. mj also owns one of his songs lol
Agree 1000% with you Elusive moonwalker, being an MJ fan opened me up to so many great artists, I had no idea of existed/exist and/or are that great, due to my age and the media's blatant hypocrisy by promoting the likes of Justin Timberlake and Rihanna.

Agree.

When I was younger Michael was all I ever listened to and then I started to branch off listening to other great artists such as Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, James Brown etc... liking Michael has positively broaden my music range.

Jackie is definitly a underrated artist and entertainer. I dig all his music and love his dancing!

"When you get out here,
Don't cha have no fear,
Put your hands on your hips
and let your backbone slip
and workout" . YESSS!!

BABY WORKOUT!!!

Love these songs, especially the bottom. The time period makes it even more awesome.

Love these songs, especially the bottom. The time period makes it even more awesome.
The dirty version sounds like it was made up on the spot while they were recording, especially with all of the laughing going on.

i didnt even knew him until Michael named him.... how unfair, i think Michael vindicated many artists that were underrated... that is so sad, real talent shouldnt be underrated in no way, artists can CHANGE YOU, they can bring you happyness ansd INSPIRE YOU TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE....why is always that The Beatles are sooooo damn overrated, i mean i like their melodies vey much, but is like ridiculous, the way they are portraited as the best thing ever.... we all know that is lie. Elvis was also soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrrated..... Again dont call me racist cause im white.

Back