Jackie wilson such a Underrated Talent

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l92oMUNhgng&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l92oMUNhgng&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I loved Jackie. Didn't realize he had a son that was performing also, until now. Have to look him up on YouTube.

Michael Jackson pays tribute to Jackie Wilson / Grammy's 1984

Last edited:
I wish someone would search the tv stations archives because there really is not a lot of Jackie Wilson footage out there.

I wish someone would search the tv stations archives because there really is not a lot of Jackie Wilson footage out there.
Agree 100%. I'm gonna post some YT stuff here but it's not rare. The Shindig clip, Ed Sullivan as well. My 2 faves.

You posted a lovely clip ages ago. Think it was from the 1970's. Really, really cool. Just thought it would be nice to have them all together. But, yeah, I wish there was more. Don't understand why there isn't. He was a legend.

@zinniabooklover
Yes it is the one. I know nothing about this, was it the full thing? Did other artists perform here? I have no clue but I have to say it is my favorite concert footage ever.

The crowd is really up for it, Jackie himself is really up for it, he looks so happy on this stage and the performances are so lively and vibrant. Love this rendition of Stand by me. So full of passion and energy, I love it when he drops to his knees. What a voice!

@zinniabooklover
Yes it is the one. I know nothing about this, was it the full thing? Did other artists perform here? I have no clue but I have to say it is my favorite concert footage ever.

The crowd is really up for it, Jackie himself is really up for it, he looks so happy on this stage and the performances are so lively and vibrant. Love this rendition of Stand by me. So full of passion and energy, I love it when he drops to his knees. What a voice!
Bought a copy of Aug / Sept issue of Vintage Rock magazine bc it has a big article on Buddy Holly plus interview with Jerry Allison. But there is also a 2 page article on 'Reet Petite'. It says the song, "... [plays] to Jackie's vocal dexterity and his swaggering loverman image." :D

The song got to No. 1 in the UK when it was re-released in 1986 but I'm even happier about the fact that, in 1957 when it was first released, although it only got to No. 62 on the Billboard chart it reached No. 6 in the UK charts. Yay!!

Underrated on what planet?
It is weird but, then again, I understand what the OP was getting at. Lots of people rate him as highly as he deserves but, otoh, in casual conversations, people might name check Otis Redding or Sam Cooke. Maybe even Wilson Pickett or Smokey Robinson. But not Jackie Wilson. Soul fans would rate him, obvs. And lots of other people also would. But I do think Jackie kind of slips under the radar a lot of the time and it's annoying. When he does get mentioned, quite often his will be the last name on the list. There's also the fact that, here in the UK, he's often known only for 'Reet Petite' bc of the 1986 No. 1 thing and also for '(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher'. I think there are quite a few people who aren't aware of his earlier hits even if they do know the music of the 1960's and late 1950's.

If you ask me as a European the entire roster of rock n roll, soul and r&b classic artists (1950s-1970s) are underrated.
As a very regular radio listener I can say I almost never hear any of them on the radio.
As for critical reception they are well regarded but will in almost all cases never be placed on the same heights of the rock artists. The plaudits bands like the beatles, pink floyd, the rolling stones, radiohead etc are far bigger.

If you ask me as a European the entire roster of rock n roll, soul and r&b classic artists (1950s-1970s) are underrated.
As a very regular radio listener I can say I almost never hear any of them on the radio.
As for critical reception they are well regarded but will in almost all cases never be placed on the same heights of the rock artists. The plaudits bands like the beatles, pink floyd, the rolling stones, radiohead etc are far bigger.
This. 1000x

Just came across this clip, thought you might be interested, Jackie Wilson doing a duet. I haven't seen it before. Ngl, I really don't like the bits with Dick & Dee Dee. But Jackie Wilson and Shirley Ellis together works really well, imo. The song is 'Gonna Mess Up A Good Thing'.

Jackie Wilson & Sam Cooke / Cha - Cha - Cha

Picture quality rubbish and it breaks down a couple of times but it's worth it.

Such a natural, always on the move. Love his slow spins. always seemed to enjoy himself on stage, there is so much Jackie in Michael.

lnquh9v8fj6a1.png

Late reply is late, LOL. Apologies for that. 😅

Anyway. Maybe it's the type of radio my parents listened to (aka "boomer radio" lol) but I actually grew up with a lot of soul, R&B, funk, Motown... My dad's into classic rock but my mom not so much, he's rarely ever allowed to play it with her around. 🤣 So instead they usually opted for music they both liked, and a pretty big chunk of the radio playlist consisted of aforementioned genres (the rest was mostly "pop music for moms", both old and new, lol. You get the idea). Lots of Jackson 5 too! Jackie Wilson probably also, although admittedly the name didn't ring a bell when I heard Michael talk about him (maybe if I hear one of his songs, I'm bad with artist names admittedly. I say, on the Jackie Wilson thread! 😱).

I guess our generation does tend to be ambivalent towards it though, and while I do enjoy some classic rock, I also think it's at times too over-praised, especially when it's just a mediocre white guy singing about sex and drugs, with a backing of just three guitar chords. This is something that has always irked me, along with the elitism that comes with it.

I guess our generation does tend to be ambivalent towards it though, and while I do enjoy some classic rock, I also think it's at times too over-praised, especially when it's just a mediocre white guy singing about sex and drugs, with a backing of just three guitar chords. This is something that has always irked me, along with the elitism that comes with it.
Those would be my guys! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Those would be my guys! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Lol, I am aware! I always hope I'm not offending you when I make these types of posts, because truly I don't really care what people like. But for the most part, "mediocre white guys singing about sex and drugs" isn't my personal go-to. I'm one of those shallow popheads (😱), though I also love African-American music genres. Gee, I wonder how I ended up loving Michael?? 🤔 I just can't pin-point it!

Lol, I am aware! I always hope I'm not offending you when I make these types of posts, because truly I don't really care what people like. But for the most part, "mediocre white guys singing about sex and drugs" isn't my personal go-to. I'm one of those shallow popheads (😱), though I also love African-American music genres. Gee, I wonder how I ended up loving Michael?? 🤔 I just can't pin-point it!
Totally not offended. In fact, I agree with you. Rock music is my thing. It just is. It had me at 3 years old when it didn't even barely exist at that point - it was more blues-rock just then. But it's my first love and I get stuff from it that I just can't get from any other music.

That said, I am not unaware of all the crap that goes along with it. For example, I have no patience with 'c#ck rock' and never did, back in the day. I loved Zep but didn't like them as a band, if that makes sense. So many bands I loved for their music but I was totally disdainful of their stance on, well, pretty much everything. And the whole sex/drugs/rock n' roll attitude? Oh, spare me!

I do love lots of different music. Rock music dominated my childhood but so did Tamla. Thank god!

This Is Spinal Tap is one of my fave ever films. :D

Totally not offended. In fact, I agree with you. Rock music is my thing. It just is. It had me at 3 years old when it didn't even barely exist at that point - it was more blues-rock just then. But it's my first love and I get stuff from it that I just can't get from any other music.

That said, I am not unaware of all the crap that goes along with it. For example, I have no patience with 'c#ck rock' and never did, back in the day. I loved Zep but didn't like them as a band, if that makes sense. So many bands I loved for their music but I was totally disdainful of their stance on, well, pretty much everything. And the whole sex/drugs/rock n' roll attitude? Oh, spare me!

I do love lots of different music. Rock music dominated my childhood but so did Tamla. Thank god!

This Is Spinal Tap is one of my fave ever films. :D
Oh absolutely haha, that type of "cock rock" attitude is something I really dislike. When it comes to rock music I tend to prefer the more introspective kind, more alt-rock and the like (not solely that, but in practice it often is). The more sensitive, relatable, poetic, experimental kind. I think you get the idea.

What frustrates me is that oftentimes, artists from other genres such as pop, hip-hop etc. get criticized for the very same things that the "cock rock" types have been propagating for ages, but "it's okay when they do it" for some reason. That's the exact type of elitism that I so dislike. I actually rebelled against that pretty hard as a teenager, and honestly? I don't really think I've changed all that much over time in that regard, looking back. Honestly, properly getting into Michael Jackson has made me relive some old "teenager" feelings, and I mean that in a good way (for a change... lol). It's been quite a bit since I went this hard about a male artist I like! During my teens it was par for the course, especially for artists who were very inspired by Michael - I think that's part of why it all feels so familiar. As if I'm threading old ground, as if I've never left! But my point is that I'm reminded once again of my disdain at the time for "white male-dominated rock", and I didn't realize until recently that I'm still feeling it.

...Of course, this thread is about Jackie Wilson, who in turn inspired Michael, so... Maybe it's a sign! 🤔 I will consider it, lol.

What frustrates me is that oftentimes, artists from other genres such as pop, hip-hop etc. get criticized for the very same things that the "cock rock" types have been propagating for ages, but "it's okay when they do it" for some reason.
I have always hated this. I could see it very clearly and disliked it intensely.

That's the exact type of elitism that I so dislike.
The elitism around rock music is just - gah! Always hated it. They are my peeps but mostly I just wanna wring their collective necks. Oh, except we already established that I disapprove of physical violence. Er, OK. I wanted to gently draw their attention to their often offensive song content, their feeble acceptance of their privilege and their frankly appalling taste in clothes and hair styles. Otoh, I did love their silly rock god poses. :ROFLMAO:

I actually rebelled against that pretty hard as a teenager, and honestly?
I do understand this but my guys did have loud bass guitars. So, you know ...

But my point is that I'm reminded once again of my disdain at the time for "white male-dominated rock",
I think for me it was always balanced by all my other music. Tamla, soul, reggae, funk. All of the different stuff I loved. Otoh, I had my guys prancing around looking ridiculous - which I loved - and otoh there was JB (ha!) keeping it real. So it was a good mix.

Of course, this thread is about Jackie Wilson, who in turn inspired Michael, so... Maybe it's a sign! 🤔 I will consider it, lol.
Jackie was a god. Jackie had it all. ❤️

Back