James Brown interview in the 1980's

billyworld99

Proud Member
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxa8Ezms19w&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxa8Ezms19w&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Thanks for this. Love me some JB.

(BTW, this interview was in the 90's)

thanks for this thread. just so i can look at another real musician for a change.

"sometimes it's better to be a little boy, than an old dirty man" he says of Michael, after the enemies started trying to bring Michael down, for the child molestation crap, during his 90's tours.

i love you, James.

he's calling Michael 'clean, clean, clean'. i love the James Brown soundbites and legendary quotes.

Last edited:
(BTW, this interview was in the 90's)
Looks circa 1985 around the time JB's Gravity album came out. James also says he talked to Alan Leeds, who was Prince's manager, about Prince cleaning up his act. Alan only managed Prince in the 80's, not in the 1990's. Eric Leeds, who is Alan's brother, played sax & flute for Prince in the 1980's and also every once in awhile in the 90's and 2000's.

aww... it warms my heart hearing James Brown's comments on Michael.

He said, "I fully endorsed one young fellow... Michael.....He's clean, clean, clean."

On why Michael is so succesful, he said, "because he's a good kid."

It means a tons to hear a legendary performer like James Brown spoke so highly about Michael. James Brown is Michael's inspiration. It sure meant a lot to Michael.

See how true artists like James Brown or Stevie Wonder never ever spoke one bad word about Michael. They are talented themselves, so they don't feel threatened by Michael. True artists appreciate other true artists. There is no jealousy, just pure admiration and respect.

We don't see respectful and graceful artists often nowadays anymore.

It's somewhat true that one can judge an people's character based on how they speak about Michael. People who admire Michael's works and don't believe in the accusations usually are able to reason and are fair to others.

MJ fans are not a bunch of fanatics. Instead, I found most of the MJ fans I come across in real life and on line are very intelligent.

True artists appreciate other true artists. There is no jealousy, just pure admiration and respect.

We don't see respectful and graceful artists often nowadays anymore.
James wasn't so kind about Joe Tex :D, nor other contemporaries like Solomon Burke & Wilson Pickett.

Looks circa 1985 around the time JB's Gravity album came out. James also says he talked to Alan Leeds, who was Prince's manager, about Prince cleaning up his act. Alan only managed Prince in the 80's, not in the 1990's. Eric Leeds, who is Alan's brother, played sax & flute for Prince in the 1980's and also every once in awhile in the 90's and 2000's.
James also refers to the 'troubles' on Michael 'last tour'. That, being Dangerous.

i thought it was the victory tour he was talking about at first with people complaining about the high tickets sales, and with the breach of contract involve with joe and don king

i thought it was the victory tour he was talking about at first with people complaining about the high tickets sales, and with the breach of contract involve with joe and don king

i'm not so sure. people initially complain about high ticket prices with every artist...and behind the scenes backstabbing with promoters would be just that...behind the scenes...it might have gotten reported cus of the bigness of MIchael, but that tour still was the first, and went off completely, so i don't think it would be considered unsuccessful or interrupted.

James also refers to the 'troubles' on Michael 'last tour'. That, being Dangerous.
Here's the other part of that interview. At 1:16, the interviewer says the year is 1985. I'm a JB fan and I could tell this was pre-prison. So the problems James is talking about is most likely the Victory Tour which had a lot of negative press at the time.
[youtube]ROGnhUpelB8[/youtube]

oh okay... I don't know that...

i wouldn't think it would be about the musicianship. it probably had to do with being a clean act or family act..perhaps stuff James knew about extracurricular stuff, we might not know about. MJ is a standout for being clean, and i really think that is a really important thing to James. after all, he complained about Prince, but wasn't threatened by his artistry. so what you say, i think, is right. i think James' thing was about being a family act, and i think he was respectful of other musicians.

JB

and i think he was respectful of other musicians.
:hysterical: JB? The same guy who shot at Joe Tex in a club where Otis Redding was performing, because Joe made fun of his (James) act. James also was dating Joe's then wife. James told Bill Withers to his face that he couldn't sing when they were on a plane on the way to Africa to perform at the Rumble in the Jungle fight. James had many of his musicians quit and a couple of times his whole band walked out on him because of his treatment of them. James also beat up women that were in his groups like Marva Whitney and Tammy Montgomery (aka Tammi Terrell). It was definitely not a family show backstage.

Here's a 1988 comment from Keith Richards: I had long enough to realize that just because I dig someone's work doesn't mean I have to like them as a person... James Brown can be an asshole. If you want to know, he IS an asshole. But you expect it from him. He pumps himself up to be the baddest and meanest. http://www.timeisonourside.com/STSoul.html

Re: JB

:hysterical: JB? The same guy who shot at Joe Tex in a club where Otis Redding was performing, because Joe made fun of his (James) act. James also was dating Joe's then wife. James told Bill Withers to his face that he couldn't sing when they were on a plane on the way to Africa to perform at the Rumble in the Jungle fight. James had many of his musicians quit and a couple of times his whole band walked out on him because of his treatment of them. James also beat up women that were in his groups like Marva Whitney and Tammy Montgomery (aka Tammi Terrell). It was definitely not a family show backstage.

Here's a 1988 comment from Keith Richards: I had long enough to realize that just because I dig someone's work doesn't mean I have to like them as a person... James Brown can be an asshole. If you want to know, he IS an asshole. But you expect it from him. He pumps himself up to be the baddest and meanest. http://www.timeisonourside.com/STSoul.html

Ok. Something about James Brown I don't know before. I admire James Brown a lot. He's a phenomenal performer, abeit one with temper. I can see why Michael saw him as his inspiration and how James Brown and Michael had mutual respect in each other.

Sorry for circuling this back to Michael. Isn't it making Michael more special that he's respectful to his contemporaries. He never spoke one bad word about other artists. He never mistreated his crew members.

Look at what mj said about the whole eminem thing..Most peeps today would have cussed out someone for doing that..Mj was still respectful and even said he likes him as an artist

The best coment he said was..Great artsist don't do that to each other.

Now that is a great line because it can be taken in many different ways..Mj could have ben saying em was a great artist and didn't need to act that way.Or saying great artsits don't have to insult each other, em is not a great artist .so he did it...It was a wonderful response that makes mj untouchable

In terms of jb...Such a complex man..A genius usually is..But jb was a trend setter on alot of levels..He was really the first song /dance man who can still be related to todas performers...He did concert style shows and was first man to do these types of shows that hav been extended today, into his 70's..Prince might be the next to do that but it is going to be rare to see a great song/dance man perform into later years..It is not easy..But he was the first..Sammy d was before him but his shows were so very different..You can see similarities with a jb show to todays shows..So he was a direct inspiration for everyone today in the way of the visual performance on stage.

But I duno if chris brown or usher will be performing like they do in their 70's..So jb was the first for that and many other things..Wonderful impoviser and ad libber..mj got that from him and to just feel in the moment..Through dancing and singing etc..Jb was not v eloquent..Although he did use alot of fancy words in shows..Quiet surprised.But he doesn't come across as someone so witty and ntelligent as a sammy davis for example..Having said that he is v focused and clear in this interview..He usually rambles quite a bit..

He has haad alot of troubles and a whole diff persona and life off stage..But you can't show anything but respect for him on stage.He had something truely remarkable which mj had but maybe not even to his degree.He was born with a natural stage charisma without needing to do anything.He had the crowd in palm of his hands from the beginning and you just can't take your eyes off him.Mj , prince have this too but there is something diff about james brown.He is just so aware of every factor around him and it is soo natural and easy for him.It is like drinking water, he is so at ease on stage and has an increible aura around him

He does give huge props to his band on stage too..You don't see that too often nowdays

Back