Janet's career

Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

• Yes

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • no

Votes: 62 26.2%

• Total voters
That's absolutely true and scary! Sorry Janet fans, I think her career was revived because of Michael's passing. Most of the sibblings are everywhere because of him!

That's absolutely true and scary! Sorry Janet fans, I think her career was revide because of Michael's passing. Most of the sibblings are everywhere because of him!

You think Janet got a bump from MJ's passing? The joke I keep seeing is, her career is so bad off, she couldn't even get a career bump from his passing. I see people throwing up Orianthi as an example to show even she could get some sort of bump but Janet couldn't.

You think Janet got a bump from MJ's passing? The joke I keep seeing is, her career is so bad off, she couldn't even get a career bump from his passing. I see people throwing up Orianthi as an example to show even she could get some sort of bump but Janet couldn't.

Well, she had a tour in recent month of Michael's passing, didn't she? She also gave many interviews and that's why she could promote her latest book. That's the reason I came up with that conclution.

Well, she had a tour in recent month of Michael's passing, didn't she? She also gave many interviews and that's why she could promote her latest book. That's the reason I came up with that conclution.

Ok, now I understand why you would say that. It's just seems Janet was still overall pretty invisible within mainstream. It's not like when the Spice Girls or New Kids on The Block go on tour and you see that they are actually selling tickets and you come across positive nostalgia buzz for them.

Ok, now I understand why you would say that. It's just seems Janet was still overall pretty invisible within mainstream. It's not like when the Spice Girls or New Kids on The Block go on tour and you see that they are actually selling tickets and you come across positive nostalgia buzz for them.

well she didn't promote her tour like they did actually she didn't talk about at all main stream either she just announced it on aol and that was sorta it It was obviosuly not ment to be a big production and what "bump " were you expecting to see from Michael's passing sorry but that rediculose and it's not because he career was in that bad of shape " she doing what she she was always going to do whether Michael died

she toured in 2011 Michael had already been dead for two years not months after his passing and since when did anybody need Michael to give interviews she has been interviewed many times before

Last edited:
she toured in 2011 Michael had already been dead for two years not months after his passing and since when did anybody need Michael to give interviews she has been interviewed many times before

I didn't assure, I asked: "well, she a a tour in recent months of Michael's passing, DIDN'T SHE?"

And in my opinion since the superbowl incident her career and fame were dead.

I never said she isn't/wasn't successful, I said she probably was in her country and other English speaking ones, some of you confirmed she doesn't have a big fan base in Europe on her own and in Hispanic American countries either, they just know her for being Michael's little sister. When I go to the record stores, I rarely find a record of her and MJ's there are always many ones, so it speaks volumes to me in Mexico's case...

I'm sorry, but that's bs. While she may be way past her prime in terms of popularity, she filled arenas on 3 tours (possibly 4 tours, had AFY gone ahead) throughout Europe and none of that had to do with Michael. Same goes for Asia, South Africa and Australia. And wherever I go, I always do see her records in record stores.

Janet is done and sad to say she cooked herself with the Granny napping. Even before the napping her last tour was pretty much a flop. She wasn’t even out there a good five months and she got no major buzz or excitement. Let’s face it the only way she gets the media’s attention is when she goes on Oprah or Good Morning America and calls her dead brother an addict. That’s all the media is interested in hearing from her and she is always happy to accommodate them.

Victory22;3794042 said:
Even before the napping her last tour was pretty much a flop. She wasn’t even out there a good five months and she got no major buzz or excitement.

Huh?? It was sold out almost everywhere she went. She played multiple nights in many cities. She was on tour for 10 months.

^^ Janet was very successful before and after MJ's death. regardless of anyone's personal feelings toward her. Could MJ's death have peaked interest, of course as it did with all Jackson's but Janet was holding her own. She most definitely was not a flop as some are trying to portray.

I wrote not finding her albums on the record stores IN MEXICO, I didn't mention any other country. My comments are based in what I've seen and what friends from Hispanic American countries have told me, she hasn't even visited Mexico or many of those parts of the continent and the truth is that Wikipedia many of the times isn't even a reliable source of info because many ones can edit it.

And why are some of my posts edited? I didn't offend anybody and I already explained what my comments were based on, if some of you disagrees with it, that's not my problem. Liberty of expression, :bs:! Her career was seriously dead after the Super Bowl but she really lost me and I bet she lost losts with the things she did after Michael passed.

Her career was dead after the superbowl seriosuly I don't know how many people mange to have their albums debute at number 1 and number 2 with a dead career and still mange to be in succesful movies and have a new york time best seller yeah that's a dead career alright

well, she wouldnt even be at the place she is now if she wasnt a Jackson, so yes I do think due to the Jackson[s/5] or Michael she got what she has now. In the early years it was hard, very hard and def much harder to get into the industry then now if you don't have THAT much to call talent. But while being a Jackson, it was less difficult, in my opinion

Im not saying she doesnt have any talent, just not as many or as good as others.

Let me be one of the first to wish a
Happy 47th birthday to Miss Janet! :D
May 16th 1966. :birthday:

40389_pro.jpg

I absolutely think coming from a famous show business family helped Janet to have a career. Janet is really beautiful, driven and willing to work hard to achieve her goals. But there are thousands of gorgeous, driven, hard-working girls who are who want to be pop stars. Many of those girls are more talented singers than Janet, but they might never even get a record deal because the competition is so tough.

I’m not saying that Janet’s success is totally undeserved, I think she has worked really hard to be the best singer and performer she can be. And all the connections in the world and a famous last name don’t help if you’re not willing to work to achieve your goals - just look at Michael’s other siblings. But coming from a famous show business family helped Janet to get noticed and get a record deal in the first place.

Hmm, I forgot I had posted in this thread. My belief back then was that Norman saw some talent but now I'm thinking more her name got her in the door. John McClain was also to credit for her being successful in her pop career. Her child career was moderately successful at best. Least she had status like Michael in a way (not totally). Her seven siblings can't claim that.

Any Janet fan should know that Janet's last name got her her recording contract, mainly because she didn't want it! She wanted to continue to peruse an acting career, that however had nothing to do with her last name. What gave her the best chance for a music career was Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, because they let her write, they listened to what she was saying, and the end result was classic, timeless music, and of course her natural ability to perform, no female artist out there, I don't care who you name, comes close to Janet's tours at her prime other than Tina Turner.
But it was her departure from Michael and the rest of the family in her music and career that got her to where she is today, a worldwide icon and legend. She is one of the best selling and most imitated females in the industry and that is not possible just by being someone's sibling.

I never said she isn't/wasn't successful, I said she probably was in her country and other English speaking ones, some of you confirmed she doesn't have a big fan base in Europe on her own and in Hispanic American countries either, they just know her for being Michael's little sister. When I go to the record stores, I rarely find a record of her and MJ's there are always many ones, so it speaks volumes to me in Mexico's case...

This is very untrue, Janet's singles have not been as successful charting wise in Europe maybe but until the last decade she had a great following in Europe and her tours were very successful in Europe as well as Asia and Australia. In fact Janet has something like 20 number one singles in Japan and sold out 4 shows in the Tokyo Dome in 7 minutes, even faster than MJ himself, the record in fact. She also has had a lot of success in Africa, That's The Way Love Goes remains to this day the best selling single in South Africa. Also here in the UK Together Again while only peaking at number 4 is one of the best selling singles by a female in the UK and to put it in comparison has sold more than all of Madonna's number one singles. To deny Janet's worldwide success implies you haven't researched her enough, MJ fans who have a vendetta with her over what she has said in interviews years ago are obviously not going to show her in the best light.

It can not be denied though that Janet's stature has fallen quite a deal since the Super Bowl for that and other reasons, while Janet yes may still be called Michaels little sister, that does not deny the fact of the success in Europe she had at her peak.

Re: La Toya Jackson - You're Gonna Get Rocked! 2CD Deluxe Edition out 25 November

Janet claimed once that MJ turned down her voice on Scream to avoid her outsinging him. LOL. As if Janet could ever outsing Michael with her whispery and weak voice.

Re: La Toya Jackson - You're Gonna Get Rocked! 2CD Deluxe Edition out 25 November

I was watching Janet perform on the "Jackson Family Honor's" and you are so right Respect77, about Janet's " whispery and weak voice".

I remember going to a club, back in 1986 and dancing to "Nasty Boys." That was a good song to dance to, but even though there was success, at the time, I don't think Janet ever achieved that kind of success again. She really tried, much better than Michael's other siblings, but there just wasn't that drive that lived within Michael. The notoriety of saying Michael sidetracked one's Career is so lame an excuse. It just seems that Michael's siblings are finally achieving some kind of success, because there brother has died, the one who really did have talent and measured up to it till the day he died, the one, the only Michael Jackson!

Janet has a good voice, but she's never been known or claimed to be a true vocalist, her talent is more so on great music and performance side. Also while some have great memories with her second album it was in the early to mid 90's when she had her most success.. Her best selling album is 'Janet' which fallowed and her Janet and Velvet Rope tours brought in more attention and success than her Rhythm Nation tour. Her All For You tour was great success as well considering that the remainder dates that was supposed to take place were canceled due to 9/11...

It really was not until Jermaine Dupre became part of the mix that her music career started to decline, I always thought going with Dupri for music instead of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis was the biggest mistake she made as far as music is concerned.

She is still highly respected in the industry, and not just because she holds the name Jackson!

thank you Janet's voice is far from weak and whispery she has some of the best harmonies and melodies in the business yeah she may not be a Whitney or Mariah but she can certainly sing and has proved that and I disagree with you thou I don't think Jd was the problem even thou I find his production in general just to be generic but that's the music industry today

Back