Janet's career

Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

• Yes

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • no

Votes: 62 26.2%

• Total voters
I personally think that her name helped but her talent has caused her to endure. She is an incredible artist. She is one of the few artist of the 80's and 90's that I like. Aside from MJ she is my favorite Jackson.

The Jacksons are a large family.. There are plenty unsuccessful Jacksons and MICHAEL's name only carried them so much. I will stand by my word of the name opens the door but it's the talent that gives someone power..

JANET is Janet because of her talent! You don't see anyone (aside from Michael) sell what she sold, get the attention she got..

I'm going to be slightly biased because I absolutely love Janet, but I think that she would have been very successful even if she didn't have the Jackson name. Music business (like business in general) is a case of 'who you know', as opposed to 'what you know' - and I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) when she had connections with the producers that worked with Prince, she was well on her way to stardom regardless of what her big brother was doing.
And I totally agree with what KOPV said above...Janet and Michael both have 'the gift'!

We have seen plenty of instances where kids / siblings of big superstars do not even have the fraction of success that their superstar relative had. Being related to someone famous can only get you so far. If being MichaelÂ’s sibling was the only key to success, why didnÂ’t Rebbie or La Toya had success? With the expedition of Jermaine who had some minor success as a solo artist, why didnÂ’t the other brothers have successful solo careers?

Being related to Michael and being a part of the Jacksons family may have helped Janet initially, but eventually she made a name for herself and proved herself to be a great entertainer. Janet had incredible longevity. Her 2015 album Unbreakable hit #1 on Billboard 200. ThatÂ’s 29 years after Control hit #1. You donÂ’t have this level of longevity, if you donÂ’t have something special.

Back