Jermaine Jackson Women's Life interview

Annita

Proud Member
Jermaine Jackson Women's Life interview
Published: 18 January 2016
http://www.jackson-source.com/news/1870-jermaine-jackson-women-s-life-interview
Women’s Life sat down for an interview with Jermaine Jackson in LA over the holiday period, before he left for the middle east. Read the interesting interview...
50 Years In Music

Jermaine La Jaune Jackson, was born on December 11, 1954, in Gary, Indiana, the fourth of ten children. Initially he sang lead and played rhythm guitar in The Jackson 5, but switched to bass and back-up vocals.

The fourth child of Katherine and Joseph Jackson, Jermaine and his 9 siblings had music in their blood; Katherine was an aspiring pianist and singer, and Joseph briefly played guitar with his brother in their band, The Falcons. But while music was their passion, it didn’t pay the bills. So Joseph supported his family with his job at U.S. Steel while Katherine stayed at home and raised the children.While his father worked long hours as a crane operator, Jermaine and his brothers Tito and Jackie practiced their own songs, sometimes on their father’s guitar. One night, after Tito accidentally broke a string on his father’s instrument, the trio had to own up to their late night practicing. Joe, out of anger, made the boys demonstrate their musicianship. Impressed, he recognized the boys’ potential and began encouraging them to perform as a group. Jermaine and his two older brothers began The Jackson Brothers in 1964.

By the end of 1965, Jermaine’s younger brothers Marlon and Michael had also joined, creating The Jackson 5. After Jermaine and the group won a talent contest held at brother Jackie’s high school, The Jackson 5 began taking their performances more seriously. Jermaine moved from lead singer to back-up singer and bassist after several years as the rhythm guitarist and lead singer.

Women’s Life sat down for an interview with Jermaine Jackson in LA over the holiday period, before he left for the middle east.

Your parents were major influences in your early life?

They still are, especially my mother. She reminds me of what a real lady should be. My mother was incredible giving my father many children, this is the ultimate show of how much she loved her husband, to bear children. They taught me that life is about love of family whether you live in poverty or you live on the richest side of town, I’d rather be poor and happy, rather than rich and miserable.

Jermaine, it’s the holiday season again and of course you were brought up as a Jehova’s Witnesses and didn’t celebrate Christmas. But as children, you and your brothers were singing a lot of Christmas carols, was that a difficult situation to be in as a child?

It was hard, not only did we not celebrate Christmas but also no birthdays. I remember friends across street had pretty lights and decorated trees. We would envy them. When Michael was alive he used to tell me he remembered watching out of the window while it was snowing outside and wishing he could enjoy Christmas like the other kids.

Tell us more about your mother?

My mother was the matriarch of the family she communicates with us every day. I remember holding onto my moms dress as a small boy, I’m still close to her, I was always with her. Life was tough, but we were always happy and never did without. Having said that we weren’t spoilt. We were physically punished if we did wrong, but only when deserved it. I love my mother very much. I were brought up in a very hard time in an impoverished environment, but my parents worked hard to make us who we are. We were brought up in a very rough area, but we were protected by the love of our family. In my song “Oh Mother” I sing about how she means the world to me.

“Oh Mother have I told you

You are my river

That never stops for a rest

Have I thanked you for letting me

Come out of you

And giving me all your best

Have I thanked you

For having our family,

Without them I wouldn’t be here

Have I told you no matter

How far I may go

All of you always are near”.

Jermaine, How did converting to Islam in 1989 affect your lifestyle?

I fell out with some of the media over it. While I was in Mecca they were trying to say negative things and a journalist from the UK said some particularly bad things and he hadn’t even spoken with me. I put that right when I granted him an interview. Otherwise it has no impact other than keeping me focused and I feel God gave me a talent I am duty bound to share with others.

Your 1980 hit, “Let’s get serious”, was one of two of your individual recordings to chart successfully in the U.K. 27 years later you became a household name again in the UK when you entered the Celebrity Big Brother house. For U.S readers benefit you were publicly acclaimed for your level headedness and mediation skills. Is this a true reflection of your personality?

Its knowing how to be a good listener and how to communicate. It’s being able to see the good in any situation and bring out the best in people. It’s about understanding the behavior of people and why the act like they do. I am still friends with the house guest I was closest to and who suffered some bullying, Shilpa Shetty. I kept my cool and composure by praying. It’s funny before I went in, I had a bet with my dad that I would be thrown out in the first week for being boring and quiet.I wanted to leave so much at first and then towards the end I started to really enjoy life in the house!

By sticking up for the ladies in the show would you class yourself as an old fashioned gentleman when it comes to women?

You know what it is, I was kind of directing traffic in the house. I tried to take the bad energy out. They ran to me as the peacemaker but yes I am a gentleman always of course. I open doors, I stand up when I meet ladies, I love all women.

I hear you like cooking?

Shilpa was actually the Chef in the Big Brother house. So I joined her as her sous chef! I love to create Moroccan dishes. I love heathy food. I love traveling and experimenting with food. Shilpa took me to Taj Mahal and we even went together to a boxing match in Hong Kong so I love Chinese food too! But you know I was cooking at first in the house mainly because I’m a germaphobic so I wanted to make sure everything was done with scrupulous cleanliness.

Michael was publicly known as a germaphobic too?

Not actually true. When you saw Michael wearing the surgical mask in public, it was because he had a cold and didn’t want to pass on germs to others. Where as I won’t even touch doorknobs. I didn’t like the contestants in the house sat on the work tops in the kitchen or on the dining table. One guy even washed his hair then dried it in the oven? It’s enough to make anyone germaphobic!

What strengths do you admire in a woman?

Internal beauty and intelligence. A woman has to wear many hats, she has to be a corporate force in the bedroom, a chef de la cuisine in the kitchen, a supermom and yes a lady in the bedroom! There is no woman who can be the ultimate woman, every woman has something different to offer. I think a man has to be sensitive to how he treats a woman, but a woman’s heart can be altered by a flower, something as simple as that. Women will kill me, but when you see a horse in the wild it’s always a stallion leading the mares…..

Do you enjoy being in love?

I love being in love. I’m very protective of my women. Every man feels his woman is a queen, we love admiration, but we don’t like men taking advantage. Social media causes problems today – pictures of half naked women tear relationships apart.

Can men act differently than women when they’re in a relationship?

Men and Women in this world are different. Men they have an ego about themselves, undeserved in many cases, that gives them a license to have affairs, when a woman does it she’s seen as a hoar.

Personally, I need a multi talented faceted woman. I love being in a relationship, I loved being married. If the marriage falls apart it’s sad but a fact of human nature often the men fall weak but not all times, but if we have a respectful relationship and we offer each other 1000% that’s what a marriage should be.

For her part I believe a Woman should dress for their husband. She needs to be with her husband and show total support. It’s who you are as a human being. A woman can be the breadwinner if the arrangement works with the family. Men would rather be unloved than disrespected. Stop for a moment and think about how it would feel if you felt your spouse didn’t love you. The same is true for men who feel disrespected!

My advice for ladies is to show your husband you respect him and believe in him as often as you can he’ll have more confidence to give you his very best. I am still traditional in that I respect and encourage equality but our natural desire is inside us men, to provide for our women causes problems today for relationships – I don’t like being impersonal in love, emails, text etc. It has to be a tangible thing.

Can a woman be a homemaker as well as an entrepreneur and run her own business successfully?

Of course, I love and admire female entrepreneurs, but remember, your husband wants to know he is the “protector,” even if his wife supplies more monetary support to the family. Husbands also feel a deep need to provide for his family, both financially and in security, so wives need to be sensitive to that. At the end of the day we all want to be affirmed in our abilities as humans. There’s nothing wrong in my view with a woman being the breadwinner, I believe in equality. A good wife will show confidence in her spouse!

Can a woman be sexy and glamorous without dressing provocatively?

Absolutely. Look I love all women, your husband is an emotional being! Some people think that sex and emotions don’t go hand-in-hand, but they do, but you can be sexy without showing too much body, it’s the hidden assets that most men desire. A woman can be sexy with a turtleneck she don’t have to show body parts, it’s how she shows integrity. In particular I find the eyes of a woman to be the most striking feature.

Are you romantic?

Deeply! Of course it is a man’s duty to be romantic and treat women with respect. Some men view romance differently, and can be insecure about showing their partner romantic gestures in the way a woman feels she wants to be romanced. My advice to women is to encourage their men to be romantic. For many men they are stepping out of their comfort zone. Some men feel romance may not feel complete without sex and so often feel incomplete at the end of the day, I view it not as a duty in a relationship but something to be enjoyed and is part of the respect I have for women in general. I love being romantic and it’s the little gestures that are most appreciated.

Tell us about your new project JS9?

I believe in JS9 because it’s real – I love it, I love to drink it. I have a vision for JS9 food and beverage company- no job too big or small. The foundation has to be strong and solid, the right team will sustain and stand- what makes us different is the health conscious ingredients and the charitable association of our products – it’s a brand that helps make changes in life and makes the world a better place and bring an awareness to what is going on. I want to see JS9 food and beverage company becoming a major player in the market.

You are a stylish and fashion conscious man. How would you describe your style?

Jermaine Style!!

This relationship with the UK has transcended several TV appearances. You’re an accomplished guitar player – you played the most valuable guitar certified by the Guinness World Records during the Jackson Medley at the BBC Proms in the Park concert in Hyde Park, London last month. How did that feel?

It was amazing, I mean absolutely amazing. The Coronet of Eden Diamond Guitar was created by Coronet Solitaire, a brand owned by Aaron Shum from Hong Kong who also created the special rings that I surprised my brothers with during the “Good Morning Britain” appearance. This is our 50th anniversary, 50 years of being in the business… There was even one for Michael… I will probably give it to my mother to make sure that Prince has it.

This was a very interesting interview and it shed some light (for me) on how he views a woman's role in his life. I'm not surprised by the influence of their Jehovah's Witnesses upbringing. They're extremely patriarchal, moreso than the Catholic Church imho. Women aren't allowed to preach or be the head of the household. The woman's role of mother is highly regarded, so it makes sense that Jermaine sees Katherine as the epitome of what a woman should be (having all of those kids for her husband). It's no surprise that he converted to Islam, which is very patriarchal and views women as less than their equal.

If Jermaine thought he came out nicely from that interview, well he didn't:puke:
He comes out like arrogant loser says that if wife is breadwinner, then do it in the way so man doesn't feel bad:D

If Jermaine thought he came out nicely from that interview, well he didn't:puke:
He comes out like arrogant loser says that if wife is breadwinner, then do it in the way so man doesn't feel bad:D

He sure didn't! Other than the love and respect he has for their mother, he comes across as a sexist pig (imo).

Personally, I need a multi talented faceted woman. I love being in a relationship, I loved being married. If the marriage falls apart it’s sad but a fact of human nature often the men fall weak but not all times, but if we have a respectful relationship and we offer each other 1000% that’s what a marriage should be.

Maybe to much interpretation but " I love being in relationship is presence" and "I loved being married" is past.

Annita;4129682 said:

Maybe to much interpretation but " I love being in relationship is presence" and "I loved being married" is past.

Good catch, I missed that from this egomaniacs post, too much bs at one go.

Halima has to careful/sensitive when she pays alimony to Jermaine she doesn't hurt his feelings - after all he is a man.

No wonder she bit him:smilerolleyes:

krikzil;4130043 said:
He really needs to stop talking.

The most memorable quote from Jermaine
‘Even though Michael is very talented, a lot of his success has been due to timing and a little bit of luck. It could have been him, or it could just as easily have been me.’

Yes, Jermaine should decline any kind of interviews because the frogs are just popping out of his mouth.

Back