JUST LEAKED: Ghosts 1993 (Snippet) + Seeing Voices (Long Snippet)

IMO, it's one of the best yet unreleased songs. Absolutely exquisite and beautiful.

Interesting. The song snippet was alright I guess, Michael's voice was angelic as usual but there wasn't much that stood out to me. The snippet of Ghosts was cool and I'd be keen to see what we have of the 1993 version, especially footage including The Addams Kids. I didn't like how Michael immediately got up so fast the second after being 'rebuilt', it felt really off.

The "rebuilt" hand got me. Like, wut?! I'm sitting here holding back tears and there are these weird chalky sausages coming out of his palm. Glad it was re-made. But I like the concept...it could have just been produced better.

Being unfinished, this could make a great extra on a release that includes the original Ghosts. I think Ghosts is too short to have it's own release but it'd be cool to have a boxset of the longer MJ productions (Thriller, Captain EO, Ghosts etc etc).

Soooooo many happy pants if Captain EO and Ghosts were on a release together. Ohhhhhh yes!

Ghosts 1996 + Making of + whatever there is from the 1993 version on one DVD/Blue-ray would be a great release for fans.

It really breaks my heart to see what happened to him. He was always very fragile, had lots of trouble sleeping. He reminded me a lot of Don McLean's song about Vincent Van Gogh.

Sttoooopppppp :( :( :( I so remember the first time I heard that song, way back in 6th grade, and even then it reminded me of Michael.

Ghosts deserves its own separate release. Why mixing other works?

Just remember the state of technology improved greatly compared to those 3 years prior.

Last edited:
For the ones saying Michael was fragile, I beg to differ. No other human would have been able to put up with such a massive scale of torture, witch-hunting and injustice as he endured without committing suicide. He was extremely sensitive without a doubt but very strong person at the same time.

Ghosts deserves its own separate release. Why mixing other works?

Because how many other 30-40 minute films do you know have their own separate widespread release? I feel it's way too short for it's own release (even with some behind the scenes stuff), as are some of his other productions such as Captain EO. Why not kill a few birds with one stone, put them together in an awesome boxset and make the release even more attractable?

I'm thinking more of a general public aimed release though. If there was a smaller release for fans, then yeah sure.

Last edited:
^If the Estate release more than one thing in a package, they'd run out of products. I assume they might plan releasing materials for decades if possible. And as for Captain Eo, they'd need to ask permission and paying to Disney and Lucas Films.

^If the Estate release more than one thing in a package, they'd run out of products. I assume they might plan releasing materials for decades if possible. And as for Captain Eo, they'd need to ask permission and paying to Disney and Lucas Films.

Yes and no. With the short films, almost all have already been released numerous times on multiple formats. The very small handful that haven't been released, aka Captain EO and Ghosts are both far too short to have their own separate widespread release. When it comes to 'running out of material', I don't think we should really be worried about his short films since almost all of it has already been released multiple times already. Hell all of it including Captain EO and Ghosts are readily available for free on YouTube. This isn't some never-before-seen material or anything. Now when it comes to his unreleased music, BTS/studio footage, rehearsals, concert shows I do agree with you there. Time wise I'm personally not fussed when and if the Estate choose to release this.

As for Captain EO's rights, yes they'd need to ask permission from Disney but I'm failing to see why that is much of an issue yet, it's not like this sort of negotiation is uncommon between rightsholders. Sure, Disney might refuse or demand too high a price but they also might be reasonable and give permission for a reasonable price. We don't know. Oh and Lucasfilm is owned by Disney now so they'd only need permission from Disney (just minor technical nitpicking :p)

Last edited:
Re: NEW footage from the 1993 version of Ghosts!

what the hail, y'all??
That was creepy af.
Pounding his face until it crumbled and the kids trying to put it back together asdfasdfad

I hope the full 1993 version will be included when Ghosts is finally released on Blu-Ray/DVD.

I'm glad that didn't get into the final version. Nevermind the bad song.
As I recall, he just pounded his face a few times and then the wind swooped it away? Forget offhand.

for Captain EO, we just need a 3D release, as many people can see 3D at home nowadays..

For Ghosts it would be great to have a box set (again, like 1997), with all the extras, especially the 1993 footage, BOTDF revisited cd with the demo versions/early versions and some rarer remixes from HIStory .. or... a reissue of the Adams Family movie with as bonus this featured footage + the Ghosts movie

what the hail, y'all??
That was creepy af.
Pounding his face until it crumbled and the kids trying to put it back together asdfasdfad

Interesting messages though...'Children see the person and not the monster'/ 'Children have the power to heal'..?

With the risk of being in the minority (at least goin' by the other thread in the 2000 Watts section), I agree with those who say that neither the visuals nor the song were that impressive.

I didn't even know the whole project began in 1993, but I must say I more than happy with the version I first saw in 1997 on German television.

His voice is indeed beautiful (when can one ever say that it isn't?) and the message of the song is nice, but still......there is something missing.

Interesting messages though...'Children see the person and not the monster'/ 'Children have the power to heal'..?

An interesting message indeed and quite right in many ways, but I think it belongs to that almost deification of children which seemed to be so prevalent in Michael's mind. It is understandable that he would find comfort and "purity" solely in the company of children and animals considering how many adults were interested only in his fame and fortune and how so very many have betrayed his trust and abused his kindness.

It may be naive of me, but I'd like to think that not every adult that crossed his path was horrible. It would be not just sad, but downright tragic to think that no adult in Michael's life ever truly made him see purity and feel the glory and the depth of God's love for him.

Am I the only one who likes the song? It sounds very Disney-esque like it could be featured in an animated movie. I like it :)

I'll definitely be taking some flak for this, but hey, it's a discussion board. Opinions are free.

As far as the footage is concerned I honestly had no idea that Michael filmed any of Ghosts prior to 1996. This version looks incredibly interesting to say the very least - and I'd love to see more of it. An actually unreleased MJ "short film" - wonderful!

As for the song, honestly...it's the first Michael Jackson song I've ever heard where I just said, "Wow, this isn't good." His voice is exquisite (per usual) but to me it's simply not a good song. Keep this one in the vaults.

what do you mean "keep this one in the vaults". whilst it isn't amazing it's completely subjective whats is and isn't good and not that i think the estate should listen to what you say, why should it be kept in the vaults? everything will be released eventually through public or small scale fan releases.

So was this actually filmed in 93? The set looks identical to the film from 96, but MJ looks different here than in the final movie.

Although it's hard to judge from a small snippet, it seems to me the video developed for the better. The dialogue here does not seem to be that strong, Michael's acting is not as good as in 1996 and no bias, but I prefer Michael in the role of the mayor. Still it's something I'd really love to see and if they decide to release Ghosts on DVD/Blue-ray then I think this original version (or whatever material there is from it) has to be on it too as a part of the history of that film and concept. I'm also interested in how the whole concept compares to the 1996 version, what changed.

I like the song, but there too I will have to hear more before a final judgement.

So was this actually filmed in 93? The set looks identical to the film from 96, but MJ looks different here than in the final movie.

Yes, it's 1993. See the Mick Garris interview above.

While the visuals were not that great compared to Ghosts 96 it's also important to have in mind that this was in the early stages and I'm sure if the 93 film would have been finalized it would have been improved and would look much better, (also not to mention that this video isin't exactly Bluray quality or anything lol :p)

With that being said I wonder what songs Michael planned to use in 93. I can't imagine a Ghosts shortfilm without 2Bad. Is It Scary & Ghosts were both made in 93 and meant to be in the movie from the get go right? There is also that video that leaked not too long ago from 1993 where some group does an choreography of some sort and it was titled "is It Scary project" I can't seem to find it anymore. Really interesting.

Michael's acting was much better in 96 and I actually think Mike looked a bit cooler in Ghosts96 compared to here.

what do you mean "keep this one in the vaults". whilst it isn't amazing it's completely subjective whats is and isn't good and not that i think the estate should listen to what you say, why should it be kept in the vaults? everything will be released eventually through public or small scale fan releases.

I mean that I don't care for the song and am in no rush to see it released commercially.

People have a tendency of reading too deeply into my posts. I did not mean to imply that, because I personally didn't care for the song, it should not be released in any medium. As you said, music is subjective, and "Seeing Voices" will undoubtedly surface on a project in the future. And hopefully the general public enjoys it as much as some fans do here.

But for me? There are much better songs, both leaked and unleaked, that can be focused on. That's what I mean.

I don't get why so many fans dislike Seeing Voices. I'm not the kind of fan who goes nuts over anything with an MJ vocal (I could quite happily never hear I Am The Loser again), but I must've listened to this clip about ten times over now and each time I fall a bit more in love with the song. It's like an MGM showtune, so whimsical and musical.

On a seperate note, didn't MJ record a version of Seeing Voices with Ray Charles?

I like both the original footage and the song. I love it when MJ is all orchestral and traditional.

The footage has a totally different feel to it - helped in part by the fact that this song was added in of course. Despite that though, it does feel a little more unsettling and vaguely macrabre. I like those angles and the dialogue firing back and forth. I've never been totally sold on the complete version of Ghosts from 1996. It misses the mark here and there and I often feel it's just very entertaining (although I love the parallels Michael makes too) but perhaps the overall tone is misplaced. I would be very interested to see how the original edit compares frankly. I look forward to a full release some day.

Some of that footage presumably survived into the final cut?

what the hail, y'all??
That was creepy af.

Hi, hello, game time. Have you ever actually seen Ghosts in its entirety?

Spoiler: he does the same thing in the final version (less being reassembled)

To each their own regarding musical taste but as long as songs move me to tears or give me goosebumps as it occurred with Seeing Voices, I will love them. Even if some tracks weren't composed by Michael, that man's voice makes many people believe and feel every word he sang.

Back