Justin Bieber talks Michael in new interview [Update on page 4]

BRUSTER21

Proud Member
Justin Bieber gave an interview to L'UOMO VOGUE, where he talked a little about Michael.

Being under the scrutiny of the world has been normal for Bieber since he was 13 years old, when one of the videos that his mother had posted on YouTube was seen by Scooter Braun, who has been his manager ever since. An unparalleled popularity that brought with it the sadistic glee of those watching the film of his life, just waiting for him to end up destroyed by his own success, like many teen idols before him, including those he looked to as models.

“Now I know that the model is not there,” he tells me. He said in the past he was inspired by Michael Jackson: is it so? “I don’t think Michael was a happy person. Honestly, I never knew him so I can’t judge him. He seemed like he was hiding and I think that had to be hard on him. For a while I thought I wanted to be very mysterious like him, but I felt like I was hiding from everyone, hiding from myself. Now I have supportive people around me encouraging me to let my light shine and be happy. I think that’s what matters. I don’t think he had that.”

Source: http://www.vogue.it/en/uomo-vogue/cover-story/2015/06/justin-bieber#ad-image

Re: Justin Bieber talks Michael in new interview

no lies detected

Michael was a very different type of personality than Bieber so it's hard for me to see any parallels. 19-21-year-old Michael Jackson was polite, well-mannered, quite and shy. (Well, he was always polite, quite and well-mannered but I am comparing them at the age where Bieber is now.) So I don't think a mysterious image could work for Bieber because he's just not that type of personality that naturally has some sort of mysterious quality to it, like Michael does.

Yes, they were both child stars but there are many child stars and it's not yet clear which one Bieber will be. The one who can successfully turn into an adult star or the one who fades as his teen cuteness fades away and his teen bopper fan base grows up. So far he has not made an album that would be equivalent to MJ's Off The Wall in terms of establishing Bieber as an adult artist who's to be taken seriously outside of his teen girl fans. By the age of 21 (the age Bieber is now) Michael had Off The Wall which is influential even today.

I wonder how different Michaels career would have been if social media was around in the OTW/Thriller era in particular.

I wonder how different Michaels career would have been if social media was around in the OTW/Thriller era in particular.

Social media would not change the fact that Michael was a completely different personality than Bieber. Nor would it change the fact that they have quite a difference in their talents. Nor it would change the quality difference between Off The Wall (or Destiny, for that matter) and anything Bieber has released so far.

Last edited:

I think this is one hell of an inaccurate preception of Michael Jackson's life from a person who says he's studying his life for a while and decides to talk about it. MJ wasn't hiding, maybe he was isolated - and there's a big difference between the two. Some would say he was isolated by choice, but that's not really the case 99.9% of the time. MJ wasn't living the Hollywood life and I think the big majority of today's current celeberities crave and LOVE to show off. Sure, he was rich and he was living luxurious life but he was not showing off - I can't see him doing on of those "check out my crib" kind of shows they all do and "see how many cars and girls I have". That doesn't equal to "hiding". Justin Bieber can't do this kind of stuff because he enjoyed the whole bling thing before (I don't recall he ever stopped) so for him to live the kind of life MJ lived, it would really be like hiding, because then he wouldn't be himself.

I think it's unfair to say that's the reason Michael was not a happy man because there were so many other reasons for him to be heartbroken, the way he was falsely accused in a horrible crime, is the reason I would say first. The fact that he couldn't have normal relationships with other human beings his age because people saw him as "a walking ATM machine" is another. There are more reasons that have nothing to do with hiding. Besides, if MJ was here, I don't think he would have said he's not happy, especially after he had his children.

Anyway, Bieber is entitled to have his own views about it but I'm going to disagree.

Last edited:

Michael was a very different type of personality than Bieber so it's hard for me to see any parallels. 19-21-year-old Michael Jackson was polite, well-mannered, quite and shy. (Well, he was always polite, quite and well-mannered but I am comparing them at the age where Bieber is now.) So I don't think a mysterious image could work for Bieber because he's just not that type of personality that naturally has some sort of mysterious quality to it, like Michael does.

Yes, they were both child stars but there are many child stars and it's not yet clear which one Bieber will be. The one who can successfully turn into an adult star or the one who fades as his teen cuteness fades away and his teen bopper fan base grows up. So far he has not made an album that would be equivalent to MJ's Off The Wall in terms of establishing Bieber as an adult artist who's to be taken seriously outside of his teen girl fans. By the age of 21 (the age Bieber is now) Michael had Off The Wall which is influential even today.

Personality wise they are different. Bieber is more rebellious than Michael was but he does have his good, well-mannered side to him. Agreed on the mysterious aspect. When it comes to the influence of public perception on their life, I can certainly see parellels. While different ages, they were both needlessly hated on by the public. Michael was hated on by the public for being 'weird' (among other things) whereas from the second he became famous, Bieber was hated on for having 'girlish' characteristics before he went through puberty.

Honestly until 2013, I didn't even get the hate for him. I couldn't really recall anything that Bieber had done bad and I saw all these people bagging on him, wanting him to fall but yet what had he done? I don't know how you can be hated on by literally millions for something as stupid as having a high pitch voice (which all of us men did before puberty) and still contain it together for as long as he did. Of course, then in 2013, he went a bit out of control and douchey and I'm not going to excuse him for that. In saying that, he's recently recognised his stuff ups and apologised, saying he'll do better in the future. No doubt many don't believe him... but idk I have hope that he will become a better person. Maybe I'm optimistic but eh.

On the other side of things, I do like how Justin Bieber has always made known his appreciation for Michael and the influence he has had on him. No doubt he's introduced MJ to many of his younger fans. I've actually seen Twitters/Tumblrs that were dedicated to both Bieber and MJ and while obviously a 13 year old doesn't need Bieber to know who MJ is, I'm sure many of those fans were introduced to MJ's magic from Bieber.

@InvincibleTal

I agree. Like I said MJ was a different personality. He wasn't "hiding", it was simply not in his nature to do the things Bieber does or teen stars of their age usually do. It's not just a generational thing because when MJ was young then too other teen stars did pretty wild things but Michael refused to go along (just think about teens stars like Tatum O'Neal, Leif Garrett etc). It just wasn't in his nature and he simply remained true to himself instead of playing macho.

As for happiness. Like you said, Michael actually had big reasons to not to be happy at certain points of his life. When you listen to Destiny you can feel that even back then he had a sadness because of being used and abused. But I am not sure the kind of behaviour Bieber expresses is a sign of happiness either. Only MJ expressed unhappiness in his art, while Bieber expresses it in his behaviour.

Honestly, I think Bieber's behaviour is the typical growing child/teen star behaviour. Michael was always kind of different than your averege teen idol IMO (both in behaviour and talent). It's simply not comparable to me because he was such a different person and on a different level as an artist IMO. To put it short: Michael was a genius and he had that genius' eccentricity and charisma which made him even more interesting. I just don't see any of that in Bieber.

Honestly until 2013, I didn't even get the hate for him. I couldn't really recall anything that Bieber had done bad and I saw all these people bagging on him, wanting him to fall but yet what had he done? I don't know how you can be hated on by literally millions for something as stupid as having a high pitch voice (which all of us men did before puberty) and still contain it together for as long as he did. Of course, then in 2013, he went a bit out of control and douchey and I'm not going to excuse him for that. In saying that, he's recently recognised his stuff ups and apologised, saying he'll do better in the future. No doubt many don't believe him... but idk I have hope that he will become a better person. Maybe I'm optimistic but eh.

Yes, you are right about the hatred and bashing he got which was crazy and juvenile. I think success always generates jealousy and hatred in certain people. It comes with territory. I imagine that most of Bieber's haters are teen boys who are jealous of his popularity among teen girls. LOL. But maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Invincible Tal

I think it's unfair to say that's the reason Michael was not a happy man because there were so many other reasons for him to be heartbroken, the way he was falsely accused in a horrible crime, is the reason I would say first. The fact that he couldn't have normal relationships with other human beings his age because people saw him as "a walking ATM machine" is another. There are more reasons that have nothing to do with hiding. Besides, if MJ was here, I don't think he would have said he's not happy, especially after he had his children.

Plus, Michael felt he had a calling. He felt he was blessed with his talents because he was suppose to try to make a difference. He had purpose beyond making money and even making great music. There are so many factors that influenced who MJ was, from racism, childhood abuse to talent caliber, etc. etc. that Beiber never in a million years would be able to genuinely understand because he can't relate to them or has the empathy or sensitivity to know how to relate to them, and I so agree has nothing to do with "hiding".

I wish him well. But the only parallel I see between him and MJ is that they were both young when they gained fame.

Last edited:

Yes, you are right about the hatred and bashing he got which was crazy and juvenile. I think success always generates jealousy and hatred in certain people. It comes with territory. I imagine that most of Bieber's haters are teen boys who are jealous of his popularity among teen girls. LOL. But maybe I'm wrong.

LOL It's funny because people my age (so ya know, Bieber's age give or take) who I've seen make fun of Bieber have all admitted they'd want to be him. World famous, extremely rich, beautiful girls begging to get with him.

I don't hate Bieber. I just hate his music

Saying Michael wasn't a happy person is a very narrow and unfair assessment.

I disagree with what he said about Michael hiding anything, what's he got to hide. NOTHING! I'm half on the unhappy thing. I seriously doubt he's an unhappy person, but I guess he wasn't happy with some certain things all the lies and all the BS surrounding him, people telling what he should and shouldn't do, why people always wanted to screw and leech him off with all these countless lawsuits he's been going through like they wanted him bankrupt, broke, even homeless.

As much as I'm not a fan of Bieber, but at least I don't whine and complain about him unlike SOME people who wanted someone else to whine and complain about. There I said.

To be fair (and I can't believe I'm giving JB some credit here) Justin is very young. To put it in perspective, he was only 15 when Michael died. In his recent memory, what else would he have seen and remembered of Michael in his own lifetime? Maybe Invincible era, or a bit before that depending on what his life was like. So he's only been around for many of Michael's crappiest moments in his life. Bashir, the trial, all the debt headlines, his death. The only really BIG positive thing he may have been aware of that was good was all the TII hoopla. Even though I had a lot of knowledge of Michael my whole life, much of it I was not mature enough to appreciate until years after.

Not to say that "Michael was an unhappy person" isn't narrow; it is - but I think it wouldn't be too difficult to see how he'd misunderstand a lot, or just not really fully grasp what Michael was about. One of my roommates is the same age as JB and it blows my mind that somehow, his specific generation seemed to have missed the MJ boat (thank goodness the next one won't! :) ) because even though he knows of Michael and of some of his achievements, he has no concept of Michael's influence. (In fact, the other day when my housemates and I all found out, it was one of those "omg, how do you not know?" moments, and we spent some time just trying to explain HOW influential and BIG Michael is to the industry, but that's for another thread another day)

whats are examples of michael being 'mysterious'

Last edited:

can you tell me who is Justin Bieber ?

MJJ????;4094940 said:
can you tell me who is Justin Bieber ?

He's the Canadian pop artist.

whats are examples of michael being 'mysterious'

Well, Bieber himself said that Michael was mysterious because he was hinding or something like that:

For a while I thought I wanted to be very mysterious like him, but I felt like I was hiding from everyone, hiding from myself.

I think a lot of people consider him mysterious because he was not your average guy, he was very much different and a lot of people still cannot figure him out IMO. I don't think that was because he was "hiding" though. He naturally had qualities that made him different. That difference made people wonder about who he "really" is, whether it's a facade or real etc - which created a kind of mysterious arua around him.

Eh, good luck to him. Glad to see he's turned a corner and is trying to do better.

First of all I don't see how the two always get compared. I think Michael was always viewed as a serious and multi-talented musician (a genius). In that era, (Jacksons, OTW, late 70's) Michael didn't hide, he was just being himself. He was always shy and a home body. He was an atypical young pop star who didn't participate in the hard party hollywood scene. But I do believe that the Motown publicity machine did influence Michael later in his career.

This is what I think JB maybe be referring to: All those stories about him that made him "weird" (around the BAD era) were I believe carefully planned by his publicity machine to make him very mysterious. Although Michael had always cherished his privacy; he could have easily granted an interview about his vitiligo, but he let that linger and made ppl wonder even more. The more mysterious, the more unavailable, the more the media was curious about him and the public. That's why the Oprah interview was such a HUGE deal. He hadn't been interviewed in years; so the world wanted to know more about him.

I think Michael was a genius in every way possible, including publicity wise. I think his own personality lent itself very well for the great publicity he enjoyed. I think he was comfortable not participating in the "hollywood scene" simply because of who he was, so he was not necessarily unhappy doing so.
Michael was very happy with his success I don't think there is any doubt. (at least in my mind). Yes, sometimes he was so famous he couldn't go out and he felt lonely as he has stated; but it doesn't mean he wasn't happy and very well satisfied with his career and his career goals barring the fact that he was a perfectionist, but all in all I would imagine he was happy with his achievements and the fame he achieved globally. So this is where JB is mistaken.

No matter how you look at it, there will NEVER be anyone as unique, as talented and as interesting as Michael. The endless books one could write on so many facets of Michael's life and career isimply mind boggling.

Well, Bieber himself said that Michael was mysterious because he was hinding or something like that:

I think a lot of people consider him mysterious because he was not your average guy, he was very much different and a lot of people still cannot figure him out IMO. I don't think that was because he was "hiding" though. He naturally had qualities that made him different. That difference made people wonder about who he "really" is, whether it's a facade or real etc - which created a kind of mysterious arua around him.

im asking what you mean specifically by mysterious because i completely disagree what are your examples? my idea of mysterious is someone like prince who did about 1/2 televised two very short televised interviews in the 80s

In regards to Biebs comments, I'll leave Molly Meldrum's answer when he was asked about Michael and if he thought he had lived a "troubled and lonely personal life." His response was: "Was Michael Jackson sad and lonely? No? He lived in his own world that to you and I might seem sad perhaps, but Michael lived in Michael Jackson world and we'll never know what it's like."

I do agree with this to an extent. Do I think he was lonely and sad at times? Sure, he's human. Do I think it was all he knew so it looked different to the public then it did to him? Sure, he was Michael Jackson.

Social media would not change the fact that Michael was a completely different personality than Bieber. Nor would it change the fact that they have quite a difference in their talents. Nor it would change the quality difference between Off The Wall (or Destiny, for that matter) and anything Bieber has released so far.

no, i meant in regards to his career and personal life.
Now, everyone has a camera on their phone. Everyone reviews everything quickly and skims through content.
It would be interesting at how an artist like him in his prime would have been effected by that.
Also, I imagine he would totally have a Twitter account, but would probably let his manager post things for him.

no, i meant in regards to his career and personal life.
Now, everyone has a camera on their phone. Everyone reviews everything quickly and skims through content.
It would be interesting at how an artist like him in his prime would have been effected by that.
Also, I imagine he would totally have a Twitter account, but would probably let his manager post things for him.

And then you have streaming services like Spotify and (soon) Apple Music. I wonder how much those would've affected Thriller and Bad's album sales (and no, I'm not implying that they wouldn't be huge if Spotify/Apple Music were around back then). Can you imagine if YouTube was around too? Woah.

im asking what you mean specifically by mysterious because i completely disagree what are your examples? my idea of mysterious is someone like prince who did about 1/2 televised two very short televised interviews in the 80s

Sorry to but in like this but I wanna add my 2 cents. My conception of mysterious doesn't just mean the absence of visibility. A person can do a 100 interviews and still be viewed as a conundrum.

I personally don't think that "hiding",(He wasn't even hiding imo), had anything to do with the mystery that was MJ. People that met MJ often relate stories that he was so unique and different. I think a part of it had to do with his shyness and him being soft-spoken but the rest, I don't think no one will ever be able to pinpoint it down. It will be a mystery.

Last edited:

My conception of mysterious doesn't just mean the absence of visibility. A person can do a 100 interviews and still be viewed as a conundrum.

I personally don't think that "hiding",(He wasn't even hiding imo), had anything to do with the mystery that was MJ. People that met MJ often relate stories that he was so unique and different. I think a part of it had to do with his shyness and him being soft-spoken but the rest, I don't think no one will ever be able to pinpoint it down. It will be a mystery.

prince wasn't absent visibly he had performed double the amount of liveshows then mj in that decade, done 3 movies through less interviews people knew less about him. loads of people i know in the real world are shy whats so mysterious about that? do you mean nobody will ever be able to pin-point why MJ was soft-spoken and shy as a reason for being mysterious? possible reasons could be an uncoventional childhood, tiredness of the media? i can see what is so mysterious about the common personality trait of simply being shy

^ I don't know what it is that you're asking for. How do you define a mystery? it's an abstract term and one person see it this way and another can see it that way. Personally, I've never thought of Prince as mysterious even though I've never watched any interview of his besides the one he said "MJ is a lover not a fighter" and I don't think it counts. For me a mystery has to come with some sort of interest and curiousity, something that makes you wonder and you can't quite tell what is it about this thing that's so luring. I think Michael was a mystery to fans, general public and the worldwide media.

Well, Prince is somewhat mysterious too, but the point is not Prince but that Justin Bieber is not. BTW, Michael too very rarely gave interviews in the 80s. Later he did give a couple more - and so did Prince. But I don't think the number of interviews determine who is mysterious or who is not.

Here's the definition of mysterious:

mysterious

difficult or impossible to understand, explain, or identify.

(of a person) deliberately enigmatic.

Many people find MJ difficult "to understand, explain, or identify", hence the many misunderstandings and many interpretations of his character and who he "really" was.

prince wasn't absent visibly he had performed double the amount of liveshows then mj in that decade, done 3 movies through less interviews people knew less about him. loads of people i know in the real world are shy whats so mysterious about that? do you mean nobody will ever be able to pin-point why MJ was soft-spoken and shy as a reason for being mysterious? possible reasons could be an uncoventional childhood, tiredness of the media? i can see what is so mysterious about the common personality trait of simply being shy

Yeah I don't know what you're getting at with the prince stuff and I really don't know what you're asking for. Do you want me to explain why some people might consider shyness being a mysterious trait?

do you mean nobody will ever be able to pin-point why MJ was soft-spoken and shy as a reason for being mysterious?

what? I said I Think part of what made MJ mysterious was his shyness and him being soft-spoken. He's demeanor and way of talking wasn't like the atypical pop artist and I personally believe, but I could be wrong of course, that played a part in his mysterious aura. But that's only a part of it. There are other factors which also may,or may not, have played a role and I believe those things can't be pinned down. They can be an unconventional childhood as you say or they can be something else entirely. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this only opinions. I might attribute his mysteriousness to him being soft-spoken and shy and someone might feel differently.

Last edited:
Back