Kanye West to collect Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award-MTV Video Music Awards

You guys.... I am fairly sure they took MJ's name out of the Vanguard award. don't remember hearing "Michal Jackson Vanguard Award" once and all commercials that mentioned it/plus the big screen at the show simply said "VIDEO VANGAURD"... It seems to be back to it's original name sadly.

MTV didn't use Michael's name when promoting this award.

How anyone could hate Kanye West after that speech was beyond me. The guy wants people to believe in themselves. Have high self esteem. He wants to teach our children we can do anything and not buy into the low self esteem attached to brands/not being able to afford said brands. He delivered the truest moment of the show, ending off with a "presidential announcement" so the speech would be shared more, and the message would be spread. The most unorthodox genius of this generation.

^ You may be the first person in MJJC to call Kanye West a genius...

While I can find appreciate Kanye's sentiment of self belief and not allowing outside forces force you to think low of yourself, I (personally) don't find what he said as so genius.. BALLSY yes!!! it takes a lot of guts to stand up there (while people view you cocky) and say I am this way because of this....... For sure, I definitely can respect that..

It's not the first time he spoke like that, and I think when he does - positivity comes out of it but he did not say anything that numerous other people that have succeeded say.. It just makes more impact when someone is known to be a cocky person... It's more... Touching I can say!

KOPV;4106708 said:
^ You may be the first person in MJJC to call Kanye West a genius...

I'll happily admit that Kanye West is a genius, because he is. People will scoff at him when he says he is 'a creative genius' and as overly confident as that may come off... well, it's true.

And what Dam2040 says is so right, Kanye is someone who wants people to be more confident, to believe in themselves. I love this quote by him: "If you’re a Kanye West fan, you’re not a fan of me, you’re a fan of yourself. You will believe in yourself. I’m just the espresso. I’m just a shot in the morning to get you going, to make you believe you can overcome the situation that you’re dealing with all the time."

When he says that “he’s the espresso”, he’s saying he’s not better than you. He's saying you’re already awesome, and he just wants to inspire you, to get you going with his art.

Woah this thread has increased my respect for Kanye. Deffo gonna listen to some of his music now.. (No sarcasm intended - seriously).

Back