Kanye West to collect Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award-MTV Video Music Awards

barbee0715

Proud Member
<article id="article" class="article " data-target="#dashboard" data-component="dashboardLoader" data-dashboard-loader-options="{&quot;url&quot;:&quot;\/feature\/music\/dashboard\/xhr\/kanye-west-to-win-prestigious-vanguard-award-at-vmas&quot;,&quot;eventName&quot;:&quot;load&quot;,&quot;responseKey&quot;:&quot;dashboard&quot;}" style="line-height: 1.45; margin-bottom: 20px; color: rgb(32, 32, 34); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><header>I hope Taylor Swift presents the award to him. :)http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kanye-west-to-win-prestigious-vanguard-award-at-vmas/

By
ANDREA PARK CBS NEWS August 25, 2015, 1:42 PM
Kanye West to collect prestigious Vanguard Award at VMAs

</header><figure class="image gallery related-gallery" style="margin-top: 5px; padding-right: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; clear: left; margin-right: 0px !important; margin-bottom: 10px !important; margin-left: 0px !important; padding-top: 0px !important; padding-left: 0px !important;"><figcaption style="padding: 10px 0px; position: relative; line-height: 0.95;">16 Photos
American singer Kanye West performs on the Pyramid Stage at the Glastonbury Festival of Music and Performing Arts on Worthy Farm near the village of Pilton in Somerset, South West England, on June 27, 2015.

</figcaption></figure>
Kanye West is to win the MTV Video Music Awards' highest honor, the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.
In a statement, MTV said West will win the award for his "career-spanning groundbreaking videos, legendary VMA performances and continued impact on music, art, fashion and culture."
The award is the VMAs' version of a lifetime achievement award, and has been given in the past to music greats like David Bowie, the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Madonna.
Last year, Beyonce received the award; husband Jay Z came on stage with baby Blue Ivy Carter to present the honor. Other artists in recent years to win the award are Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears.
In its statement, MTV pointed out West's trilogy of videos for "Jesus Walks," the innovated animation of "Heartless" and the artistry of "Bound 2" as evidence of the rapper's groundbreaking accomplishments. The music TV channel also referred to West's unique staged performances, such as 2013's "Blood on the Leaves" and "Otis" with Jay Z in 2011.
The 2015 MTV VMAs will air on Sunday, Aug. 30 at 9 p.m. ET. Miley Cyrus will serve as host, and the Weeknd will debut the first televised performance of the hit song "Can't Feel My Face."

© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
</article>

Awesome, he's made some really good music videos. The visuals really are a highpoint too, especially in the more recent ones!

My favourite is probably Runaway (there's even a giant Michael Jackson at 8:25 haha). It's a super long short film for many of the songs on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, an album that was actually dedicated to Michael.

I actually really like the concept of doing a short film for an entire album, would've been really cool to see Michael do something similar actually!

Oh dear god NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
This guy soooo doesn't deserve this award :doh:

And I know many of you guys may not agree with me but I really wish Christina aguilera would win it

If you can separate Kanye's narcissistic douchey persona from his artisy it might be easier to see why he would be getting this award. Some of his old stuff he put out has been pretty brilliant. I totally agree with Runaway (read some of the comments on YouTube), and the MBDTF album is pure genius.

Last edited:
I wonder if he's going to interrupt his own speech? lol

Oh dear god NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
This guy soooo doesn't deserve this award :doh:

And I know many of you guys may not agree with me but I really wish Christina aguilera would win it

I totally agree with you. A person like Kanye seriously doesn't deserve to have an award with Michael's name on it. Where someone like Christina, Stevie, or Lionel should get that award. It really shows me just how mess up MTV is. And why I have totally stopped watching that station. I haven't watch MTV in years. Kanye is nothing but a big huge joke. He to me has no musical talent at all. Maybe I am only saying that because I absolutely hate rap and hip hop music. And prefer mostly Hindi/Bollywood music now.

In all honesty, the so called Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award doesn't stand for its name any more, rather to give it to who's popular and successful in the moment.

I won't stop saying this until the award is given to the artist who really honors what that recognition truly means. Björk's body of work, at least the ones from the 90s and the first decade of 2000s have been innovative and actually vanguardist. None of the past recipients have deserving of the award since the fans demanded MTV to re instill the award with Michael's name.

"Can't Feel My Face."

uglylaugh.gif

I can't see why pop dolls should win something like this...
I have no problem with Kanye winning it. His personality is a fail, but he IS an artist.

Good for him. No snide remarks needed, just good for him.

How is Kanye vanguardist to the level of Michael, Björk or directors like Spike Jonze, (I think he won the award already but I'm not quite sure) Michel Gondry, etc?

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4105376 said:
In all honesty, the so called Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award doesn't stand for its name any more, rather to give it to who's popular and successful in the moment.

I won't stop saying this until the award is given to the artist who really honors what that recognition truly means. Björk's body of work, at least the ones from the 90s and the first decade of 2000s have been innovative and actually vanguardist. None of the past recipients have deserving of the award since the fans demanded MTV to re instill the award with Michael's name.

While it does seem to be focused on music videos, I don't think it's limited to just that. Wikipedia states that "The Video Vanguard Award, also known as the Lifetime Achievement Award, is given to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture, honoring an artist's body of work.". Many of the artists who have worn the award have had profound effects on the MTV culture.

Kanye West in particular has many examples of being a 'vanguard', especially in music. His style of music changes every album and is sometimes very controversial at first, early impressions are sometimes mixed because the sounds are so new but the longer term impact and influence of his work shows. Take 808s & Heartbreak for example. At first critics believed it would be a huge flop as it was a drastic change in style for West (and admittedly, one that took time to get used to). Time proved the complete opposite however, and this new style remained heavily influential for many years on a number of artists who have since gained success and popularity like Drake, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino and more [Read more]. His next album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, has been cited as one of the greatest and most innovative hip hop albums of the 21st Century. Pitchfork Media stated "West broke the ground upon which the new decade's most brilliant architects built their masterworks; Bon Iver, Take Care, Channel Orange, and good kid, m.A.A.d city don&#8217;t exist without the blueprint of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy." One way to see if an artist is being a vanguard is to see who many of the artists are looking up to and following and many a times it has been Kanye.

His music videos stand out from the crowd thanks to their very lush visuals or ambitious nature (see Runaway up the page) and are artistically very meticulous. They stand out. I do agree that he has not been as 'vanguard' in his music videos as he has with his music, but his influence in modern pop culture and music is incredible; going on to impact many other artists whose music videos would come to dominate MTV's airwaves. When it comes to his art on the whole he is very much a vanguard. Here is a excellent article that quickly shows how he has been at the forefront in many aspects of his work.

I also disagree with your statement saying it's just given to artists who are popular and successful in the moment. Over the past four years, it has been given to Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé and Kanye West. None of these artists are just popular and successful 'in the moment', but have sustained their incredible success and pop culture impact for at least 10 years, if not 15-20 years for the first three. Kanye's first solo album came out in 2004, but he was well known in the music industry for a good number of years before that, serving as a successful producer in his own right for artists such as JAY-Z.

I will admit that there are other artists MTV needs to give this award to other artists as well, like Björk for example! But the artists who have won it so far have also deserved it imo. Those who have won it from 2011-2015 have been some of the biggest names in music/MTV culture this century and you'd honestly have to have lived under a rock since the 90s to not know who they are, or even some of their music.

HIStoric;4105429 said:
While it does seem to be focused on music videos, I don't think it's limited to just that. Wikipedia states that "The Video Vanguard Award, also known as the Lifetime Achievement Award, is given to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture, honoring an artist's body of work.". Many of the artists who have worn the award have had profound effects on the MTV culture.

Kanye West in particular has many examples of being a 'vanguard', especially in music. His style of music changes every album and is sometimes very controversial at first, early impressions are sometimes mixed because the sounds are so new but the longer term impact and influence of his work shows. Take 808s & Heartbreak for example. At first critics believed it would be a huge flop as it was a drastic change in style for West (and admittedly, one that took time to get used to). Time proved the complete opposite however, and this new style remained heavily influential for many years on a number of artists who have since gained success and popularity like Drake, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino and more [Read more]. His next album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, has been cited as one of the greatest and most innovative hip hop albums of the 21st Century. Pitchfork Media stated "West broke the ground upon which the new decade's most brilliant architects built their masterworks; Bon Iver, Take Care, Channel Orange, and good kid, m.A.A.d city don&#8217;t exist without the blueprint of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy." One way to see if an artist is being a vanguard is to see who many of the artists are looking up to and following and many a times it has been Kanye.

His music videos stand out from the crowd thanks to their very lush visuals or ambitious nature (see Runaway up the page) and are artistically very meticulous. They stand out. I do agree that he has not been as 'vanguard' in his music videos as he has with his music, but his influence in modern pop culture and music is incredible; going on to impact many other artists whose music videos would come to dominate MTV's airwaves. When it comes to his art on the whole he is very much a vanguard. Here is a excellent article that quickly shows how he has been at the forefront in many aspects of his work.

I also disagree with your statement saying it's just given to artists who are popular and successful in the moment. Over the past four years, it has been given to Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé and Kanye West. None of these artists are just popular and successful 'in the moment', but have sustained their incredible success and pop culture impact for at least 10 years, if not 15-20 years for the first three. Kanye's first solo album came out in 2004, but he was well known in the music industry for a good number of years before that, serving as a successful producer in his own right for artists such as JAY-Z.

I will admit that there are other artists MTV needs to give this award to other artists as well, like Björk for example! But the artists who have won it so far have also deserved it imo. Those who have won it from 2011-2015 have been some of the biggest names in music/MTV culture this century and you'd honestly have to have lived under a rock since the 90s to not know who they are, or even some of their music.

All very good points. Kanye West deserves this as much as anyone else. What's the reasoning he shouldn't win it? Personal tastes/bias against his genre isn't a valid one either..."But..but.. he's not very nice!!"

I think we have to remember that the Vanguard award was around before MJ's name was tied to it.. We (including myself) often quickly jump to "MJ Vanguard award being received by _________? he/she doesn't deserve it". Because we're comparing the fame, quality of work to MJ and say NOOOO... but all the award is - is celebrating who they find is the "hottest" at the moment.. They named it after Michael because he IS the greatest example of that..

Now to say Kanye is the hottest right now compared to other big hitters..that's where the debate could go!

the award Is not comparing to MJ, that's why most ppl that receive the award don't even mention him... I'm just so grateful MTV has there most celebrate award named after Michael.

I think it would be funny as hell, if Taylor Swift came on stage out of nowhere, right as Kanye was about to speak, and snatched the microphone out of his hand. She'd then sweetly smile, and simply say, "Payback sucks, doesn't it?"

I think it would be funny as hell, if Taylor Swift came on stage out of nowhere, right as Kanye was about to speak, and snatched the microphone out of his hand. She'd then sweetly smile, and simply say, "Payback sucks, doesn't it?"
kanye-taylor.jpg

Taylor-Kimye-Jay-467.jpg

screen-shot-2015-02-11-at-9-36-42-am.png

There are very few artists that have been around as long as Kanye West who I think genuinely deserve this award.

There are also much worse choices. Would Kanye be at the top of my list? Not whatsoever. But for what it is, I'm fine with it.

Good for him...

Shame Heavy D is not with us, he definitely deserved a reward like this. He could rap his belly out without cursing!! And he could dance like a god despite them extra pounds.

While I agree that Kanye deserves the award, I think the VMAs are a huge, huge joke. One of the worst award ceremonies around, IMO. Not only are they notorious for countless incidents, but I really find their awarding process to be nonsensical. I don't think they should be taken seriously at all.

I stopped taking MTV seriously when the VMA's in 2002 mocked Michael giving him that crappy award, when it was no longer Music Television and became reality show crap tv instead. MTV disrespected MJ so much in the last years of his life that I really believe that award doesn't deserve to have his name attached, it had more credibility in the 90s, not anymore.

I stopped taking MTV seriously when the VMA's in 2002 mocked Michael giving him that crappy award, when it was no longer Music Television and became reality show crap tv instead. MTV disrespected MJ so much in the last years of his life that I really believe that award doesn't deserve to have his name attached, it had more credibility in the 90s, not anymore.
They didn't offer cable in my area until 1994 so the first VMAs that I got to see was the one where Michael and Lisa Marie kissed. (Thank goodness that Michael's videos all had big network premiers and in the early days I caught them on Friday Night Videos-so I wasn't dependent on MTV)

And they really weren't showing videos then either-reality shows had taken over so VH1 was. So I pretty much watched it in 94 and 95 and just bits and pieces of it in later years. I've been kinda shocked to see via YouTube that it was actually a pretty big deal back in the day with major music stars-not any of the stuff they have now.

Last edited:
When was the last time someone actually thanked MJ in their speech because I don't believe that either JT or Beyonce directly thanked him although I could be wrong but from what I read Kanye didn't say anything about MJ either.

If you can separate Kanye's narcissistic douchey persona from his artisy it might be easier to see why he would be getting this award. Some of his old stuff he put out has been pretty brilliant. I totally agree with Runaway (read some of the comments on YouTube), and the MBDTF album is pure genius.

:cheers: In the end that's all that matters. Kanye's work will be remembered longer than Kanye the person.

I'm still baffled that in 1984, MJ's "Thriller" music video lost to The Cars' "You Might Think" video for the Video Of The Year award. "Thriller"'s video is widely agreed on to be the greatest music video of all time, so I think it's really silly it wouldn't win that award.

And did anybody else see the VMAs this year? Once I found about Miley Cyrus was hosting, I had very low expectations, and the actual show didn't change my mind one bit. I thought it was a huge mess.

Neither Beyoncé nor JT thanked Michael, the only one who did it was Britney Spears.

And about the VMA's in 1984, that was a huge slap to Michael, that video by The Cars was one of the crappiest done in that decade. I wasn't born in that year yet but I knew also David Bowie bit him as Best Male Artist with China Girl, I like The White Dutch, I have nothing against him but China Girl beating Thriller, seriously? MTV was what it was in the 80s and 90s because of Michael, probably they didn't make any effort to hide they were racist pricks in the 80s.

Two things.

Firstly does anyone know if Taylor Swift referred to it as the 'Michael Jackson' Video Vanguard award? Or simply 'Vanguard' award?

SKY News reports it as: Announcing West as winner of the Video Vanguard award, Swift called him her friend and said: "I first met Kanye West at this show six years ago and since then we have a had lot of time to talk about a lot of things.

The list of winners

Video Vanguard Award: Kanye West

Totally not mentioning MJ at all.

Secondly, Kanye is a fcukwit. However he's an amazing artist and has MJ's back. Never forget that.

When was the last time someone actually thanked MJ in their speech because I don't believe that either JT or Beyonce directly thanked him although I could be wrong but from what I read Kanye didn't say anything about MJ either.

Kanye didn't mention MJ either, but he didn't have the typical "OMG I'd like to thank..." in his speech.

The very end of Taylor's speech can be seen here, as well as Kanye's speech, which he starts soon after 2.30ish: https://twitter.com/MTV/status/638184999049498624

I'm not sure if Taylor Swift mentions the whole name but I don't think she did. This is the longest video I can find and the beginning, the most likely spot she'd say the full name, is cut off. From what I've seen so far, she seems to only mention the name once as The 2015 Vanguard Award at the very end.

Last edited:
You guys.... I am fairly sure they took MJ's name out of the Vanguard award. don't remember hearing "Michal Jackson Vanguard Award" once and all commercials that mentioned it/plus the big screen at the show simply said "VIDEO VANGAURD"... It seems to be back to it's original name sadly.

Back