Leaving Neverland - Three Years Later

I found this artice from Joe Vogel from 2019. I did not read it before.

@andjustice4some

Joe Vogel @joevogel1 wrote the ONLY piece that defended Michael in 2019 after LN came out. Forbes was only outlet that would publish it. After it came out, HBO forced a disclaimer that Joe had not seen the film yet, and made him retract the words below, under threat of lawsuit.

When I first became a fan and was uncertain about the allegations, I read and re-read this article many times. It had a big impact on me!

Some of you probably read Elton John's book, know about the chapter where talks about Michael. It's very consistent to this 1994 Barbara Walters interview he gave, where I've skipped to the part where they discuss Michael.

Walters broached Michael with Elton again 10 years later:

Keep in mind, I obviously wasn't necessarily saying a message of saying I agreed fully with Elton's comments to Walters.

Of course, remember, Elton doesn't outright demonize Michael either, and even admits "I don't know the story." He just says, "If that was me, I would've fought like hell," and he talks about his past experience fighting the false allegations brought against him by The Sun. Of course it probably would reflect better if Elton did learn more about Michael's case, but he's certainly not required to, and he has his own life to live.

It's also notable, however, that Michael dedicated Blood On The Dance Floor to Elton and considered him a friend because of those horrible days of him withdrawing from the painkillers. Much the same way Michael still considered Paul and Linda McCartney to be friends of his even long after they'd stopped having contact with each other.

Some of you probably read Elton John's book, know about the chapter where talks about Michael. It's very consistent to this 1994 Barbara Walters interview he gave, where I've skipped to the part where they discuss Michael.

Walters broached Michael with Elton again 10 years later:

I like Elton Johns frank ways, BUT this is not a friend talking about another friend in a desperate situation. Saying: "if I would've been innocent I would't settle" kind of indicates that he thinks MJ might not be. At the same time he's saying MJ was in a very bad state, which for me sounds like a reason why he didn't have the strength to fight the allegations or was even able to make a decision about it. Also calling him a zombie is not only indiscrete but also disrespectful. Even talking about it is a no go, especially while MJ was alive. As an ex addict he should know better (aa, na = anonymity). On the other hand maybe MJ's camp wanted him to confirm it, because some believed it was all a scam on MJ's part.

Last edited:
I like Elton Johns frank ways, BUT this is not a friend talking about another friend in a desperate situation. Saying: "if I would've been innocent I would't settle" kind of indicates that he thinks MJ might not be. At the same time he's saying MJ was in a very bad state, which for me sounds like a reason why he didn't have the strength to fight the allegations or was even able to make a decision about it. Also calling him a zombie is not only indiscrete but also disrespectful. Even talking about it is a no go, especially while MJ was alive. As an ex addict he should know better (aa, na = anonymity). On the other hand maybe MJ's camp wanted him to confirm it, because some believed it was all a scam on MJ's part.
Well, specifically Elton was of course comparing Michael's situation to his own, when the tabloid The Sun infamously claimed that Elton was in a vice boys scandal, which was provably false because "This was someone I never met claiming I had an orgy at a place I'd never been, when I knew on that date I was in New York talking to Bob Mackie." So he filed writ after writ against them, despite the advice of people like Mick Jagger telling Elton "don't do anything, you'll only make it worse." And Elton said, "You can say whatever you want about me, but you can't lie."

Of course, Elton also admitted he didn't know all the details about Michael's situation, and apparently, all these years later, he still doesn't. That's his choice, of course. But if he'd known that Michael and his lawyers wanted to get the civil case settled so as not to give away the defense strategy in a criminal proceeding, which Michael desperately wanted to exonerate himself, and that between that and his Demerol addiction needing to be taken care of, that he was in an extremely vulnerable position, maybe Elton would've been fully in his corner. Let's also remember that at this very time, Elton was beginning his relationship with David Furnish, and Elton talks, rather unsympathetically, in his book of doing a dinner meeting with David in tow, and Elton's grouchy mother also there. So it was already gonna be awkward, but Michael's fragility made it more so. Yet Michael always considered Elton a friend, the same way he personally thought the same of Paul McCartney, even if they didn't fully reciprocate anymore. It says volumes about Michael and his character.

This is the same reaction that I see from people. Btw, kids Love Michael and that is something that has never diminished after all these years. He is the only artist who appeals to every age group from babies to 80 year old.
Agreed! My kids who are 4 and 8 are ENAMORED with Michael. I've been a fan since the Thriller days and my kids have taken a keen interest just from me having MJ playing in the background. They recognize his voice and sound instantly with every new song they hear. My 4 year old daughter is obsessed with Childhood and Smile and calls them lullabies. Both my kids also love Moonwalker and have watched it dozens of times. They have said to me "I wish I could hug him and hang out with him." They haven't taken this type of interest in any other artist, past or present, like they have with MJ. My mom was born in '58 so she grew up with MJ and that made me a fan as well. So it's just inevitable my kids will be fans too haha

Last edited:
Agreed! My kids who are 4 and 8 are ENAMORED with Michael. I've been a fan since the Thriller days and my kids have taken a keen interest just from me having MJ playing in the background. They recognize his voice and sound instantly with every new song they hear. My 4 year old daughter is obsessed with Childhood and Smile and calls them lullabies. Both my kids also love Moonwalker and have watched it dozens of times. They have said to me "I wish I could hug him and hang out with him." They haven't taken this type of interest in any other artist, past or present, like they have with MJ. My mom was born in '58 so she grew up with MJ and that made me a fan as well. So it's just inevitable my kids will be fans too haha
This is just the most fascinating thing.

Back