Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

Dream Away was considered for the Xscape compilation in 2014 but Porcaro didn’t want it to be mixed. Porcaro also played Chicago 1945 and the demo of Change (without MJ’s vocals).

So Dream Away was one of the 24 songs considered for Xscape. I'm pretty glad to hear this as it makes it more likely that we'll get to hear the song eventually.
I translated a bit of the second screenshot and here's what it said about Change The World:
Steve also made us listen to the demo of CHANGE, which is a title sung entirely by another artist, it was to be proposed to Michael in 2009...

Dream Away was considered for the Xscape compilation in 2014 but Porcaro didn’t want it to be mixed. Porcaro also played Chicago 1945 and the demo of Change (without MJ’s vocals).
Now I'm thinking the estate could release an EP in near future. Would also explain why Hot Street and Nightline were ommitted off Thriller40.🤔

No, this song was recorded during Victory.
Interesting — someone on the Archives said it was recorded a month after Thriller, but thinking about it, they were likely mixing it up with “Chicago 1945.” Thank you!

So Dream Away was one of the 24 songs considered for Xscape. I'm pretty glad to hear this as it makes it more likely that we'll get to hear the song eventually.
This is the same story as “Chicago 1945.” So, we missed out on two Porcaro songs. Bummer.

Porcaro at it again not wanting his song to be “mixed” even thought there was an original mixes CD.

Porcaro at it again not wanting his song to be “mixed” even thought there was an original mixes CD.

All the original demos on xscape sounded like total shit, and weren't promoted or highlighted at all in any way. Massive respect to him for not allowing the estate to do the same again to his own songs.

All the original demos on xscape sounded like total shit, and weren't promoted or highlighted at all in any way. Massive respect to him for not allowing the estate to do the same again to his own songs.
Sure, but this means his song isn't out and we aren't hearing it.
Great job Steve, get those songs with you to the grave. Or well, make people spend money to hear them once at a seminar.

Sure, but this means his song isn't out and we aren't hearing it.
Great job Steve, get those songs with you to the grave. Or well, make people spend money to hear them once at a seminar.

We're not entitled to hear his songs lmao. I am not so desperate to hear them that I'd rather the estate shit out some remixes and promote them as MJ songs. We will hear them when the estate start respecting MJ and the people he worked with.

We're not entitled to hear his songs lmao. I am not so desperate to hear them that I'd rather the estate shit out some remixes and promote them as MJ songs. We will hear them when the estate start respecting MJ and the people he worked with.
You can say that about anything that it's been unreleased. But the truth is that the fanbase is being screwed up by both the producers and the Estate. Do both parts have money and continue to make money by Michael's work? Absolutely. Do stuff like Broadway show and ONE make me happy? No, because they're located in only one country. Does Steve's principles help me as a fan? No. If I was his dad/friend I could say "Bravo, Steve, you showed them". But I don't know the guy and the fact that he isn't willing to release his songs is directly affecting me as a fan from a consumer's perspective.
This fanbase would've been dead already if we only got reissues without anything new since 2009. The half assed releases by the estate contributed to keeping in this way as well as the "horrible" leaks.

Like I said I don't feel entitled to hear the songs so he isn't affecting me by refusing to allow them to be remixed and changed beyond recognition. Do I want to hear them? Absolutely. That's a bit different than acting annoyed because he doesn't want them to be remixed, though.

Interesting — someone on the Archives said it was recorded a month after Thriller, but thinking about it, they were likely mixing it up with “Chicago 1945.” Thank you!

This is the same story as “Chicago 1945.” So, we missed out on two Porcaro songs. Bummer.

SP said one week after Thriller was released.

As someone who’s desperate to hear new music, I don’t know if I can get behind the mentality of slamming somebody because they want the material to be heard in the purest, most respectful way possible. Isn’t that, y’know, what should be happening?
Yeah just screams of "I want to hear it and you're not letting me" to me. Which I don't really understand at all.

It is not because we never heard of the song “dream away” that suddenly there is a ton more music in the vaults. The Estate’s claim that the vaults are almost dried up still stands as they had this song shortlisted for Xscape in 2014. So the fact remains there might only be a dozen or so tracks left for release.
If you take Xscape’s 8 tracks it leaves 16 tracks. You can be sure among those were nite line, hot street, dream away, Chicago 1945, can’t get your weight off of me, hot fun, who do you know, what a lovely way to go, she’s trouble.

This leaves 7 unknown titles.

It is not because we never heard of the song “dream away” that suddenly there is a ton more music in the vaults. The Estate’s claim that the vaults are almost dried up still stands as they had this song shortlisted for Xscape in 2014. So the fact remains there might only be a dozen or so tracks left for release.
If you take Xscape’s 8 tracks it leaves 16 tracks. You can be sure among those were nite line, hot street, dream away, Chicago 1945, can’t get your weight off of me, hot fun, who do you know, what a lovely way to go, she’s trouble.

This leaves 7 unknown titles.
The estate’s claim that the vaults are almost dried up is absolutely questionable, as they’ve been lying about its contents for years. They’ve said on multiple occasions, including in court documents from 2021, that there was nothing releasable left, which we know is false. They wouldn’t turn over a complete list of the vault’s contents to the IRS when asked to do so, and would only confirm or deny the existence of titles the IRS pulled from Wikipedia and Chris Cadman’s For the Record. They didn’t know “Hollywood Tonight” existed until Michael Prince played it for them. And that’s not even acknowledging the multiple people who won’t give them permission to use their music.

There’s absolutely no reason to trust what the estate says about the state of the vault. I believe it’s smaller than we’d hope, but it’s absolutely deeper than they’re claiming.

MJ put For All Time on Thriller 25 because it was similar to Human Nature, right? At least that's what I assume. Then, if there was a song in the vault that's also similar to Human Nature AND is actually from the Thriller era then why didn't he release that one instead? lmao
It's post Thriller too, just a week instead of almost a decade. But yeah, it would've made more sense overall.

I respect Steve Porcaro's stance, but I don't agree with it exactly. The Originals category satisfies everyone who wants it preserved. And if you truly don't want it modified or reworked at all, then make the way for anniversary issues. Otherwise, the modern production worked making disparate songs, 80s, 90s, mid 2000s, 20, 30, 40, year old MJ sound, almost cohesive stacked together one after enough. Because no one else could otherwise sequence Slave to the Rhythm after A Place with No Name, or Chicago before Love Never Felt So Good.

But obviously in the future there are much easier ways to modernize a song without stripping away literally every former element besides the vocals. Teddy Riley updated Dangerous in a simple way, today's producers could easily do the same. And John McClain has done it every single time. And no one calls his songs remixes because they feel like proper updates MJ would do. But you can't hire Timbaland to do that obviously.

And I personally don't miss the Invincible production sound that much.

@AlwaysThere well you changed your tune quickly!
Haha, I knew this comment would come eventually!

The Thriller 40 rollout emphasized a lot of my biggest gripes and annoyances with the estate. I’m still more favorable towards them than most are, but as the first major project post-LN, I feel like they dropped the ball on multiple fronts.

The estate’s claim that the vaults are almost dried up is absolutely questionable, as they’ve been lying about its contents for years. They’ve said on multiple occasions, including in court documents from 2021, that there was nothing releasable left, which we know is false. They wouldn’t turn over a complete list of the vault’s contents to the IRS when asked to do so, and would only confirm or deny the existence of titles the IRS pulled from Wikipedia and Chris Cadman’s For the Record. They didn’t know “Hollywood Tonight” existed until Michael Prince played it for them. And that’s not even acknowledging the multiple people who won’t give them permission to use their music.

There’s absolutely no reason to trust what the estate says about the state of the vault. I believe it’s smaller than we’d hope, but it’s absolutely deeper than they’re claiming.

Do you happen to know what happened with this? Were these claims true?

Took a shot at transcribing the lyrics. Still not perfect, but it's an effort!

“Dream Away”
We could sail away our dreams to a Never Neverland
We could kiss the world and wish upon a distant star
I could see the future [unintelligible] distant promises
And the answer’s lie deep inside your lovely eyes
I could look inside your mind and tell that you’re far away
Don’t say a word, just let me whisper inside your ear
I could see that you are trying hard to be my friend
All the words you wanna say is all I want to hear

And I can’t give you promises
And we can wish upon a star
But I can’t make these promises
But I’ll give you all the love that I can give
And things and dreams and what is real
Like sharing truths and tales of youth and love

Did you ever stop to think just why I look inside your eyes?
‘Cause this love we have is just a dream away
I could tell you’re crying ‘cause you really love me, girl
And the answers lie deep in the words I had to say
I could see the future [unintelligible] different promises
And the [unintelligible] is just a life away
I could look inside your mind and tell that you love me, girl
And the world you want to hear is all I want to say

And I can’t give you promises
But I can’t make these promises
And sharing truths and tales of youth and love
And love

[scatting]

No, I can’t give you everything
And I can’t make these promises
And sharing truth and tales of youth
And all the love that I can give
And sharing truth and tales of youth and

Did you ever stop to think how much I really love you?
Ah da da da da da da, the worlds are thinking of you
Bah bah bah bah bah bah bah

“Chicago 1945”
Chicago!
Chicago!
Chicago!
Chicago...

It was Chicago 1945
Cubs lost that year, but Al Capone was found alive
They searched for the days in the suburbs of the night
But they needed him... alive
Alive
Young Joe DiMaggio hit his first home run
People gather ‘round, asking in The Sun
Three girls disappeared on a cold, windy night
Never to be found again
Never to be found again

So who solved the mystery, late Chicago night?
You can’t hide the truth so won’t you turn on the light?
Who solved the mystery, late Chicago night?
Never to be found again
Never to be found again
Never to be found again
Never to be found again
Found again
Found again

It was so windy, go ahead, feel the air
People gather ‘round to see The World’s Fair
It was happy, but sad in the truth
So much was going on
They didn’t look, those girls were missing, missing
[unintelligible], but nobody cared
‘Cause on the cover of The Chicago Tribune featured The World’s Fair
[unintelligible], but Lord, it’s the truth
Never to be found again
Never to be found again

So who solved the mystery, late Chicago night?
Never to be found again
Never to be found again
Found again
Never to be found again (Found again)
(Hoo hoo) Found again
Never to be found again
Found again (They didn’t find anything)
(Hee hee) Found again (Chicago)
(Hee hee) (I love you) Found again (Hoo hoo)
(They didn’t find anything) Found again (Chicago)
Found again

Chicago!
Chicago! (Found again)
Chicago!
Chicago!

It was Chicago 1945
Cubs lost that year, but Al Capone was found alive
They searched for the days in the suburbs of the night
So much was going on
They didn’t look, the girls were missing, missing
Came to be said that nobody cared
‘Cause on the cover of The Chicago Tribune featured The World’s Fair
They didn’t bother to notice the scene
Never to be found again (Hoo hoo)
Never to be found again (Hee hee, tell me)

So who solved the mystery, late Chicago night? (Tell me)
Tell me, you can’t hide the truth
(Tell me) Who solved the mystery, late Chicago night?
You can’t hide the truth, we’ll make you turn on the light
(Hoo, hee) Turn on the light?
Who solved the mystery, late Chicago night? (Chicago)
(They didn’t find anything) Turn on the light
You can’t hide the truth, we’ll make you turn on the light
(They didn’t find anything, didn’t burn anything)

Back