Let's talk about MJ tours and gigs

@Seldervi Do you plan to post your work of tour dates and possible setlists when it is completed? Is it finished soon or still in early stages?

I assume you are familiar with www.setlists.com it has a lot of dates but sadly close to no setlists.

Setlist.com is not a site I use 200%, I usually try & hunt down more concrete info (like newspapers from the time) instead of using that site (like Wikipedia, could easily be edited, not saying it's bad but just not my main source).

I have no basis of the site but I have hella documents & spreadsheets of this crap. I might make a small video all about Jackson 5 tours, if anyone is interested in that.

bump

Hey Seldervi would you be able to post some of the setlists you have for concerts? I've been searching the internet for the last week or so but I can't come up with anything really. I'm very interested in that Africa 74 setlist you talked about in page 2 for example.

I'm simply loving the 2 forum + Japan live cd concerts. I've been listening daily to those albums the past 10 days. It definitely warmed me up 100% to get invested much more in early MJ. I love rare performances like superstition or ain't that peculiar (one of my fave Gaye songs). Daddy's home from Live in Japan is fantastic as well. They were a really talented band and should get more credit for such professional LIVE shows as simple teenagers.
In my hunt for more Michael I recently found the song "we're here to entertain you" which is now possibly my fave Motown J5 song. Hopefully it was done live somewhere.

Hey Seldervi would you be able to post some of the setlists you have for concerts? I've been searching the internet for the last week or so but I can't come up with anything really. I'm very interested in that Africa 74 setlist you talked about in page 2 for example.

From what's been released

Africa 1974 setlist (in no real order):
- Hum Along & Dance
- Feelin' Alright
- Get It Together
- You Need Love Like I Do (Don't You)

General 1974 setlist (aka songs performed)
- Skywriter
- Never Can Say Goodbye (Slow Version)
- Too Late To Change The Time

Don't know anymore that was performed.

Thanks. I love how you need love like I do mixes in with dancing Machine on the get it together album. It has always been one of my fav songs of the J5.
There's really not enough of tracks known to call it a good setlist though but judged on the 3 live albums we have I'm pretty sure the setlists would be good. Lots of variety.

analogue;4283254 said:
Only Michael Jackson could release an album that sells over 10 million copies and have it be called a flop. If anyone else sold those numbers then it would be considered a great commercial success. Especially in 2001 with websites like Napster and Livewire popping up where people were downloaded music for free

analogue;4283287 said:
10 million plus copies is still a success regardless of how long Invincible stayed in the top 10 charts. And it's unfair to compare it to MJ's previous album sales because 2001 was a different time to the 80's and 90's. Websites like Napster hurt record sales for a lot of artists at that time

It is a misconception that the ‘Invincible’ album sold around 10 million copies worldwide.

Actually, its sales were less (or around) 7 million copies worldwide.

But the ‘Invincible’ album prides itself in being his fastest selling studio album ever (when it was released in 2001 its initial sales were even higher than the initial sales of his ‘Thriller’ album in 1982).

Snek;4283286 said:
This is pure speculation, but we probably would’ve seen more Invincible material live if he chose to tour for the album. Since all these 2000s concerts were anniversary concerts or short performances it was probably just safer to stick with the classics.

That being said I don’t think any Invincible songs were being rehearsed for This Is It, which is a shame but he couldn’t afford to take risks with relaunching his career.

But he evidently planned to perform ‘You Rock My World’ for the ‘This Is It’ shows.

Also, the ‘This Is It’ set list was going to have some changes from one show to another while the shows were in process, with new songs (also from the ‘Invincible’ album) being added and other already performed songs being removed.

mj_frenzy;4285331 said:
It is a misconception that the ‘Invincible’ album sold around 10 million copies worldwide.

Actually, its sales were less (or around) 7 million copies worldwide.

But the ‘Invincible’ album prides itself in being his fastest selling studio album ever (when it was released in 2001 its initial sales were even higher than the initial sales of his ‘Thriller’ album in 1982).

7 million copies sold for Invincible is correct.
But then....Thriller didn't sell 110 million copies worldwide either. Thriller sold around 65.5 million copies worldwide.
I believe that they sometimes count the sales of the singles and add them to the sales of the albums and that's the reason why they say that Thriller sold 110 million.
It's probably what they did for Invincible too.

I don't think it's fair to compare the sales of Invincible to those of Thriller. Thriller didn't sell much in 1982 because it was literally released on November 30th.
It didn't have enough time to sell that much.
Plus, the expectations from the public weren't nearly as high as they were when Invincible came out.

I was wondering....did HIStory actually sell 18 million physical copies worldwide? Because I heard that they usually count each disc separately for double LP's.
Wouldn't that mean that HIStory sold 9 million physical copies?

dethorro;4285345 said:
7 million copies sold for Invincible is correct.
But then....Thriller didn't sell 110 million copies worldwide either. Thriller sold around 65.5 million copies worldwide.
I believe that they sometimes count the sales of the singles and add them to the sales of the albums and that's the reason why they say that Thriller sold 110 million.
It's probably what they did for Invincible too.

I don't think it's fair to compare the sales of Invincible to those of Thriller. Thriller didn't sell much in 1982 because it was literally released on November 30th.
It didn't have enough time to sell that much.
Plus, the expectations from the public weren't nearly as high as they were when Invincible came out.

I was wondering....did HIStory actually sell 18 million physical copies worldwide? Because I heard that they usually count each disc separately for double LP's.
Wouldn't that mean that HIStory sold 9 million physical copies?

The ‘HIStory’ album actually sold 18 million physical copies worldwide, which is an impressive feat for a double disc album (each physical sold copy equated to each album of two discs, not to each disc).

The album had actually achieved that number of sales by March 1998.

Because each ’HIStory’ double disc album had already high manufacturing cost, Sony Music priced it as a double disc album so as to not only cover that cost easier but also to create profit from the album.

Also, for the promotion of that album and for increasing the album’s sales significantly, Sony Music decided that Michael Jackson had to tour (in 1996-1997) in many international territories that were equipped with bigger stadiums, thus having a higher audience’s attendance.

In late 1996, for example, while the HIStory Tour was in full gear, Sony Music shipped every week as many as 100.000 physical copies of the double disc album overseas.

Back