Lets talk about studio footage of Michael singing

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Firstly how many songs so far did we get to see studio footage of? I mean footage of Michael actually singing in the mic recording the songs we got on record. It is really satisfying and awe inspiring to watch Michael actually singing.

We have footage of to my knowledge: we are the world, we are here to change the world, childhood, just good friends, jump for joy, all in your name, fall again, I just can’t stop loving you

Anything else?

What strikes me is that of all the footage we have it is almost always of relatively unknown songs (bar we are the world obviously). If these obscure tracks have been filmed it is only natural to assume there is tons more somewhere, someplace.

Firstly how many songs so far did we get to see studio footage of? I mean footage of Michael actually singing in the mic recording the songs we got on record. It is really satisfying and awe inspiring to watch Michael actually singing.

We have footage of to my knowledge: we are the world, we are here to change the world, childhood, just good friends, jump for joy, all in your name, fall again, I just can’t stop loving you

Anything else?

What strikes me is that of all the footage we have it is almost always of relatively unknown songs (bar we are the world obviously). If these obscure tracks have been filmed it is only natural to assume there is tons more somewhere, someplace.
We definately need studio footage of EVERY song from Invincible album! Heartbreaker, Invincible, Heaven Can Wait, i'm gonna kill to see these footages, if i have to

The I Just Can’t Stop Loving You footage is not really them recording the song as they are not even wearing headphones. It looks to be footage shot for some sort of promotional purpose.

The I Just Can’t Stop Loving You footage is not really them recording the song as they are not even wearing headphones. It looks to be footage shot for some sort of promotional purpose.
Good call I thought something was off. I had only just seen the footage before making this thread which prompted me to actually make the thread as I had never seen it before.

I don't know if having footage of these songs necesarilly means there is also footage of other songs but I do think it's plausible there must be more of the footage of the days these were shot

Rodney Jerkins revealed (in 2009) that he videotaped the 'Invincible' album studio sessions at the request of Michael Jackson.

Rodney Jerkins has that footage and he even promised to release it one day.

As a matter of fact, there is still a lot of unseen studio footage (of Michael Jackson singing) also from his previous recording sessions ('Blood On The Dance Floor', 'HIStory', 'Dangerous', 'BAD', 'Thriller', 'Off The Wall', etc) because Michael Jackson used to ask from his team to videotape everything that was happening during those sessions.

I believe that footage from just good friends & ijcsly is from that bad documentary that he planned on doing but got shelved & I bet it's more footage & the fact that it was shot on film wasn't cheap either. Man I want that footage

Wish there was more Thriller era footage
I really hope The Girl Is Mine wasn't the only Thriller studio session recorded. It most likely was though because it was Paul and MJ, so of course it had to be recorded.

Rodney Jerkins revealed (in 2009) that he videotaped the 'Invincible' album studio sessions at the request of Michael Jackson.

Rodney Jerkins has that footage and he even promised to release it one day.

As a matter of fact, there is still a lot of unseen studio footage (of Michael Jackson singing) also from his previous recording sessions ('Blood On The Dance Floor', 'HIStory', 'Dangerous', 'BAD', 'Thriller', 'Off The Wall', etc) because Michael Jackson used to ask from his team to videotape everything that was happening during those sessions.
Exactly! MJ literally had a film crew following him everywhere he went! There is probably tons of unseen footage, MJ loved new technology he even filmed things himself. Just look at the Japan 87 concert where he climbed the fence, he was pretty much directing the camera crew to film all fans there! Same with the Victory tour, MJ himself had a film guy filming at every concert behind the scenes, he can be seen on the Toronto concert. The new snippets from the LA concerts from the Thriller docu also filmed!

Exactly! MJ literally had a film crew following him everywhere he went! There is probably tons of unseen footage, MJ loved new technology he even filmed things himself. Just look at the Japan 87 concert where he climbed the fence, he was pretty much directing the camera crew to film all fans there! Same with the Victory tour, MJ himself had a film guy filming at every concert behind the scenes, he can be seen on the Toronto concert. The new snippets from the LA concerts from the Thriller docu also filmed!
It's just gonna rot away forever thanks to the mj estate

I cant believe the estate rarely released any of all this footage that exists, even 15 years after his passing we rarely have any footage.

It seems that Michael wanted to do something with it because from what I hear he almost always had stuff filmed on his projects, like recording albums or recording his tours.

I also wonder why nothing was released while he was alive, like a thriller documentary in the 2000s or so. Maybe it was difficult due to negative press of the trials.. (the excuse the estate used after LN)

Making ofs of "We are the world" and "Captain EO" were released when MJ was alive😉
That's true at least we got something, and the making of thriller, but I wish he would have released more tour or album footage. I still have hope for the future tho🙌🏼

I didn't think they even released Captain EO itself, lol.

Edit: Captain EO: Backstage was produced for television by MKD Productions...

Back