Lisa Marie Presley Hospitalized After Suspected Cardiac Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook / inthestudiowithmj

325444511_516473353657321_1387792559566881979_n.jpg

Farewell Lisa
As you get a bit older it's sometimes hard to pin specific events to specific years, but 1994 is not that way with me.
Starting in January of 1994 I spent approximately 16 months flying back and forth between LA and New York, as we were doing primary production of Michael Jackson's HIStory album at the Hit Factory in New York following the tragic Northridge Earthquake. That's why we moved the project to New York.
Early in the project there was a new face in the studio: Lisa Marie Presley.
This was notable for a couple reasons.
First of all, most album projects I had worked on to that point were very male dominated, so when a female was in the room it was... noticed.
Next, when that female happens to be Elvis Presley's daughter, it does take a moment or two for your brain to process it all, but then it's back to work.
There are unwritten "Studio Etiquette" rules that are well-known by people who routinely work on high budget projects, so having both Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley in the room together needs to fade into the background of your mind.
Thankfully selfies, Instagram and social media didn't exist yet, so there was no pressure to prove to the world that you were in a really cool spot with some really interesting people, rather it was just another day in the studio.
The day turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months, and Lisa Marie just became Lisa, a part-time member of our little MJ Studio Family.
I think she loved being in the studio.
Being in a world-class studio like Hit Factory makes one feel very special. Our sessions were welcoming, well-orchestrated and fun. The studios were impeccably clean and there was a trust that was evident almost immediately. These were seasoned pros working on a major project who were more interested in getting great drum sounds than watching her and Michael snuggle on the sofa. She was in a very safe place.
She was a bit like a little girl, yet at the same time exuded great confidence.
She would sit right next to Michael - or sometimes in his lap.
They would laugh and whisper and call each other silly names, almost like a pair of seventh-graders.
"Doo-doo head, what do you want for dinner?"
They were cute, funny and very comfortable with each other. It was all very real.
She would eat with us, laugh with us, joke with us.
They might disappear into Michael's lounge for a while, but it was none of our business - we were there to help him create his album.
I was chatting with my buddy Brian Vibberts (who was one of the staff engineers at Hit Factory during that project) about his memories of having Lisa in the studio. He reminded me how Michael and Lisa often held hands.
It's a little thing, but when you see a couple walking together holding hands down the hallway it sends a very sweet message. They weren't on a red carpet or leaving a restaurant with the press watching - the studio was their little cocoon where they could be themselves.
And they often held hands.
They were safe.
In late May 1994 I boarded my flight from LA to NY and was given a USA Today newspaper. The headline became almost a catch-phrase in the media: "King Of Pop Marries The Queen Of Rock". Michael and Lisa had flown to the Dominican Republic and "secretly" wed on May 26th.
I arrived at Hit Factory and walked into Studio 4 with the newspaper under my arm. There was Michael, sitting on the sofa. He had a silly grin on his face and walked up to him, rolled up the newspaper and hit him on the head with it. He laughed and covered his head, and said, "What did I do??" I opened the paper and held it up for the team to see. I said, "It might be nice if you're going to get married to tell your friends! Or maybe invite us to the wedding!"
He laughed and was clearly a bit embarrassed, but I gave him a hug and said how happy we were for him - for them!
No one in the studio knew up until then - he hadn't said a word to anyone.
Lisa continued visiting us in the studio from time to time, and it was always a pleasure seeing her.
The press claimed it was all a publicity stunt, but not only do I disagree, I whole-heartedly disagree.
They were two young people who came from remarkably different and difficult childhoods, and they found each other.
Whether it would last a week or a year or a lifetime doesn't change what I saw: Two people in love. It was no stunt.
We were all happy to see Michael and Lisa happy.
My friend Judi Brisse was on staff at Neverland during that time and she tells a story of Lisa bringing her children Riley and Benjamin to the ranch. Judi was part of the housekeeping staff and one of the beds needed to be made up for them. She brought in sheets and blankets, and there was Michael, Lisa and the kids.
The kids were tired, so Lisa cared for them while Michael helped Judi make the bed. Judi was startled that Michael Jackson would want to help her make a bed, but Michael did it with a smile - hospital corners and all!
He truly loved Lisa and her little family. The whole scene was innocent, safe and loving.
Michael and Lisa were each pulled in 27 directions every day, and the press was relentless. I don't pretend to know all of the details over that next year, but their marriage came to an end in early 1996.
When I read the news of her passing yesterday I immediately thought of her kids (she lost Benjamin just a few years ago), and her mom. Clearly she was lost for much of her adult life, but the Lisa I knew back in the mid-90's was a kind, sweet and gentle person.
I consider myself fortunate having known her, hearing her laugh, seeing her happy and watching she and Michael hold hands.
It was a moment in time, and one where I think she could feel safe with him, and he with her.
Rest In Peace Young Lisa.
Rest In Peace.

Facebook / inthestudiowithmj

325444511_516473353657321_1387792559566881979_n.jpg

Farewell Lisa
As you get a bit older it's sometimes hard to pin specific events to specific years, but 1994 is not that way with me.
Starting in January of 1994 I spent approximately 16 months flying back and forth between LA and New York, as we were doing primary production of Michael Jackson's HIStory album at the Hit Factory in New York following the tragic Northridge Earthquake. That's why we moved the project to New York.
Early in the project there was a new face in the studio: Lisa Marie Presley.
This was notable for a couple reasons.
First of all, most album projects I had worked on to that point were very male dominated, so when a female was in the room it was... noticed.
Next, when that female happens to be Elvis Presley's daughter, it does take a moment or two for your brain to process it all, but then it's back to work.
There are unwritten "Studio Etiquette" rules that are well-known by people who routinely work on high budget projects, so having both Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley in the room together needs to fade into the background of your mind.
Thankfully selfies, Instagram and social media didn't exist yet, so there was no pressure to prove to the world that you were in a really cool spot with some really interesting people, rather it was just another day in the studio.
The day turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months, and Lisa Marie just became Lisa, a part-time member of our little MJ Studio Family.
I think she loved being in the studio.
Being in a world-class studio like Hit Factory makes one feel very special. Our sessions were welcoming, well-orchestrated and fun. The studios were impeccably clean and there was a trust that was evident almost immediately. These were seasoned pros working on a major project who were more interested in getting great drum sounds than watching her and Michael snuggle on the sofa. She was in a very safe place.
She was a bit like a little girl, yet at the same time exuded great confidence.
She would sit right next to Michael - or sometimes in his lap.
They would laugh and whisper and call each other silly names, almost like a pair of seventh-graders.
"Doo-doo head, what do you want for dinner?"
They were cute, funny and very comfortable with each other. It was all very real.
She would eat with us, laugh with us, joke with us.
They might disappear into Michael's lounge for a while, but it was none of our business - we were there to help him create his album.
I was chatting with my buddy Brian Vibberts (who was one of the staff engineers at Hit Factory during that project) about his memories of having Lisa in the studio. He reminded me how Michael and Lisa often held hands.
It's a little thing, but when you see a couple walking together holding hands down the hallway it sends a very sweet message. They weren't on a red carpet or leaving a restaurant with the press watching - the studio was their little cocoon where they could be themselves.
And they often held hands.
They were safe.
In late May 1994 I boarded my flight from LA to NY and was given a USA Today newspaper. The headline became almost a catch-phrase in the media: "King Of Pop Marries The Queen Of Rock". Michael and Lisa had flown to the Dominican Republic and "secretly" wed on May 26th.
I arrived at Hit Factory and walked into Studio 4 with the newspaper under my arm. There was Michael, sitting on the sofa. He had a silly grin on his face and walked up to him, rolled up the newspaper and hit him on the head with it. He laughed and covered his head, and said, "What did I do??" I opened the paper and held it up for the team to see. I said, "It might be nice if you're going to get married to tell your friends! Or maybe invite us to the wedding!"
He laughed and was clearly a bit embarrassed, but I gave him a hug and said how happy we were for him - for them!
No one in the studio knew up until then - he hadn't said a word to anyone.
Lisa continued visiting us in the studio from time to time, and it was always a pleasure seeing her.
The press claimed it was all a publicity stunt, but not only do I disagree, I whole-heartedly disagree.
They were two young people who came from remarkably different and difficult childhoods, and they found each other.
Whether it would last a week or a year or a lifetime doesn't change what I saw: Two people in love. It was no stunt.
We were all happy to see Michael and Lisa happy.
My friend Judi Brisse was on staff at Neverland during that time and she tells a story of Lisa bringing her children Riley and Benjamin to the ranch. Judi was part of the housekeeping staff and one of the beds needed to be made up for them. She brought in sheets and blankets, and there was Michael, Lisa and the kids.
The kids were tired, so Lisa cared for them while Michael helped Judi make the bed. Judi was startled that Michael Jackson would want to help her make a bed, but Michael did it with a smile - hospital corners and all!
He truly loved Lisa and her little family. The whole scene was innocent, safe and loving.
Michael and Lisa were each pulled in 27 directions every day, and the press was relentless. I don't pretend to know all of the details over that next year, but their marriage came to an end in early 1996.
When I read the news of her passing yesterday I immediately thought of her kids (she lost Benjamin just a few years ago), and her mom. Clearly she was lost for much of her adult life, but the Lisa I knew back in the mid-90's was a kind, sweet and gentle person.
I consider myself fortunate having known her, hearing her laugh, seeing her happy and watching she and Michael hold hands.
It was a moment in time, and one where I think she could feel safe with him, and he with her.
Rest In Peace Young Lisa.
Rest In Peace.
Brad, doing what he does best. Capturing the moment, capturing the emotion. A beautifully written, perfectly judged piece.

Thank you so much for posting this.

I just found out and I feel a bit “gutted”

Her daughters have lost their mom and their brother. So sad.

She had so many stressors.

At least she got to have that one happy spot in her life being Michael Jackson’s friend and adoring wife.

Rest peacefully Lisa Marie

Her music may be heard more now, sadly that it took her death for that.

Locking this thread, please send further messages at the condolences thread. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back