Live vocals underneath the playback from the HIStory Tour

These vocals sounds absolute terrible. In hindsight, maybe doing the History Tour wasn't the best idea. Michael should have put his health first before a grueling tour. Maybe, it would have been better, if instead of doing the tour, Michael rescheduled the cancelled One Night Only in 1996 or 1997. That would have been a lot easier for him.

Another thing also have to take into account, especially when it comes to the Thriller tracks such as Billie Jean and Beat It. These songs were performed in the album key on this tour. Michael has never, with perhaps one exception, sung those songs live in the original key, not even on the Victory Tour. We can not expect a 38 year old Michael singing those demanding songs and doing it good in their original key. Not in 1996-97

On top of that there other factors such as not hearing himself thus not knowing how he really sounds (as Stefano pointed out), Munich 97 and the state of his voice during that concert etc.

Imagine the last part of Earth Song sung live. šŸ˜±

I've really never understood where the idea or argument for these vocals to be used came from. It's always been pretty obvious that MJ would not be putting effort into sounding good or even being in the right range when he knows nobody will hear and it's just playback coming through the speakers. Obviously if a certain part of the song was always going to be live at every show then he'd at least try for that part but for the rest he wasn't.

I do understand why he sings underneath the playback - but why record the vocals? Even if playback fails, they can't use these bad/raw live vocals to anything.
If I may guess, I'd say MJ had requested them to record all tracks including his vox for archival purposes.

Last edited:
I've really never understood where the idea or argument for these vocals to be used came from. It's always been pretty obvious that MJ would not be putting effort into sounding good or even being in the right range when he knows nobody will hear and it's just playback coming through the speakers. Obviously if a certain part of the song was always going to be live at every show then he'd at least try for that part but for the rest he wasn't.
I am assuming those 'live' vocals would be similar quality to some of the rehearsals. At least in one of the dangerous rehearsal, I remember him not singing and sort of mumbling. He also says that he is not singing to preserve his voice. So...if that is the quality to expect, I want to hear them. It was kind of cool to hear half song, half mumble in a comfortable voice.

I am assuming those 'live' vocals would be similar quality to some of the rehearsals. At least in one of the dangerous rehearsal, I remember him not singing and sort of mumbling. He also says that he is not singing to preserve his voice. So...if that is the quality to expect, I want to hear them. It was kind of cool to hear half song, half mumble in a comfortable voice.

I'd also like to hear them but they should never be used for anything official.

I was expecting to hear something atrocious from the comments here. It wasn't that bad. It's live, you won't get 100 take studio-perfect.

I was expecting to hear something atrocious from the comments here. It wasn't that bad. It's live, you won't get 100 take studio-perfect.
True. The pre-chorus (people always told meā€¦) sounded a bit off, but the chorus sounded fine, in my opinion.

If they ever released the HIStory Tour, I don't think they should only use live vocals, certainly not. But it would be great for them to do a mix...with the usable vocals from the mic feed, like this chorus in Billie Jean.

Look at what they've done with the This Is It movie, I believe a similar thing could be done with the HIStory Tour, to a certain extent, and it would make the concert experience more enjoyable than listening to the album vocals. They could even use demo vocals, where possible, or alternate takes.

Last edited:
I'm just curious how the producer of the upcoming doc got these vocals? It's not like liscencing some report footage. This is unheard audio from Mjs mic that nobody was suppose to hear lol.

I personally would wanna hear the mic feed version of HIStory: Brunei. Thatā€™s the best his voice ever was on that tour.
It's funny because when he sings the first verse of Scream he sounds really bad, but he sounded pretty good when he'd sing for the rest of the show. Probably because he wasn't prepared to sing Scream

I'm just curious how the producer of the upcoming doc got these vocals? It's not like liscencing some report footage. This is unheard audio from Mjs mic that nobody was suppose to hear lol.
Right? Imma even go one step further. Out of all the things to show in a PRO documentary about MJ why for the love of god would you put these vocals in there? Lol. I donā€™t know, maybe itā€™s just me šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Danny Oliver posted about the multitracks for Munich leaking, but I don't think they did?!

I doubt they would ever officially use any unheard mic-feed stuff cause a concert release is there to show an event how it happened.
If they use mic feed this is not how the show happened and thats not what the audience remembers.

afaik multiple people got access to the Munich '97 multitracks so it's not that big of a surprise.

I doubt they would ever officially use any unheard mic-feed stuff cause a concert release is there to show an event how it happened.
If they use mic feed this is not how the show happened and thats not what the audience remembers.
Take a look at the Bucharest DVD, of course the audio is from that show and is largely unedited (as far as I'm aware of), but the video is heavily edited and is, in the end, far from what the audience experienced.

Or look at the two Queen concerts from 1986 which were officially released, the ones from Wembley and Budapest, the audio is heavily edited. It contains overdubs on Freddie's voice and even pitch correction, in part.

Last edited:
Is this real?!! Where did the audio come from?

I enjoy his live vocals. Playback is hella boring imo.

afaik multiple people got access to the Munich '97 multitracks so it's not that big of a surprise.

It is to me. Didn't know anything about it. I need the whole thing man.

Live vocals > crappy playback. FACTS.

Last edited:
Back