Mature Era - Michael in the 2000s

Mm, yes, let's look at that goth coat. Such a cool image. Michael had such style.

96a433cab8ca2d9bb2e835bd575b78a6.jpg
He certainly did zin. he certainly did
And light years ahead before anyone, people finally realise that now that wearing a mask wasn't daft.

I don't agree with what mj_frenzy is saying overall but I agree on just this one point, he did seem to fake his high pitched voice. In the 2000's he seemed more comfortable using his deep voice as seen in a lot of footages from the time.

I don't visit here often, but OMG! that deep voice! Copied over from another unrelated thread!

How did my message from another thread get here 🤨

Ah, read the message above, I didn't expect this to be the outcome lol but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

How did my message from another thread get here 🤨
My bad, I copied it, but did not realize it will look like you posted it without any "copied by" note. Sorry about that.

But, well, can we just talk about that sexy deep voice! And we thought he could not get any sexier :love:

I don't visit here often, but OMG! that deep voice! Copied over from another unrelated thread!
I do love that deeper speaking voice! 🥰

But in my opinion, I think the main reason he often talked in a softer, slightly higher voice was at least in part due to shyness rather than "faking" anything. I'm not 100% sure on that of course, and I can't confirm it either way, but the truth is that Michael was a rather shy individual, he even took anxiety meds which is saying a lot. And speaking from my own struggles with it, I have a tendency to do the same thing, which is why I have this opinion. Then again, honestly even if he was "faking" anything, I wouldn't really care either way.

At the same time, people treat his deeper speaking voice as if it's some sort of undiscovered, shocking secret, which utterly baffles me LOL because it's out there, as we can see. And I've known about it for quite some time already. I do agree that many people tend to over-exaggerate Michael's higher voice in imitations of him though, then again they do that with everything he does so it's also not entirely surprising.

well, there is some technical discussion going on on other threads about baritones, tenor and what not. I don't care what he is doing with his voice, but its working 🥰

well, there is some technical discussion going on on other threads about baritones, tenor and what not. I don't care what he is doing with his voice, but its working 🥰
Oh that's a slightly different discussion haha, that really only applies to his singing voice! All I'll say for now (to not derail too much) is that some people with deeper speaking voices can still have fairly high singing voices (or the other way around, although that's more rare), so it doesn't always say everything.

Either way, Michael had a beautiful voice that always brightens my day, no matter what style or register he used. :love: 🥰

I do love that deeper speaking voice! 🥰

But in my opinion, I think the main reason he often talked in a softer, slightly higher voice was at least in part due to shyness rather than "faking" anything. I'm not 100% sure on that of course, and I can't confirm it either way, but the truth is that Michael was a rather shy individual, he even took anxiety meds which is saying a lot. And speaking from my own struggles with it, I have a tendency to do the same thing, which is why I have this opinion. Then again, honestly even if he was "faking" anything, I wouldn't really care either way.

At the same time, people treat his deeper speaking voice as if it's some sort of undiscovered, shocking secret, which utterly baffles me LOL because it's out there, as we can see. And I've known about it for quite some time already. I do agree that many people tend to over-exaggerate Michael's higher voice in imitations of him though, then again they do that with everything he does so it's also not entirely surprising.
All of this. Bc I don't do 'fan' stuff there is often quite a lot of stuff that just baffles me. And the endless, ongoing hoo-ha over Michael's speaking voice just ... I dunno. I don't understand it.

I've said it before, there is that one tv interview (OTW era) where his speaking voice is noticeably higher. Other than that, he is just a soft spoken guy. That's it. So when we see rehearsal clips or whatever he's speaking in a more 'natural' tone bc he's not having to be 'Michael Jackson'. He's just being himself. He just always sounds like a normal guy to me. Soft spoken, moderate speaking pace. Um, that's it. I love listening to Michael speaking but I haven't heard one clip yet - apart from that interview - where his voice sounded so radically different that I was startled. I love that 'Evolution of Michael's voice' video but I can't see where the 'evolution' comes into it. Just sounds like Michael being Michael.

The way people 'imitate' his voice annoys the hell out of me. Funny thing is, they all sound exactly like each other when they do it. But they sound nothing like Michael. Even people who like him do the pretend voice thing and it doesn't sound remotely like him.

His speaking voice is gorgeous, though. I've said it before, I would almost rather listen to him speaking than singing.

Did he do something to his lips..? I just can't understand. His lips looks a little bit different after invincible era... Or maybe he just got more skinny...?

All of this. Bc I don't do 'fan' stuff there is often quite a lot of stuff that just baffles me. And the endless, ongoing hoo-ha over Michael's speaking voice just ... I dunno. I don't understand it.
Funnily enough, I consider myself a pretty big fan, but I don't get it either! People are just utterly obsessed with this sorta thing. It's the type of stuff I usually don't even consider until others bring it up for the first time.
I've said it before, there is that one tv interview (OTW era) where his speaking voice is noticeably higher. Other than that, he is just a soft spoken guy. That's it. So when we see rehearsal clips or whatever he's speaking in a more 'natural' tone bc he's not having to be 'Michael Jackson'. He's just being himself. He just always sounds like a normal guy to me. Soft spoken, moderate speaking pace. Um, that's it. I love listening to Michael speaking but I haven't heard one clip yet - apart from that interview - where his voice sounded so radically different that I was startled. I love that 'Evolution of Michael's voice' video but I can't see where the 'evolution' comes into it. Just sounds like Michael being Michael.
I do think his speaking voice deepened somewhat over time, but it was at least in part because he got older. I'm not sure which interview you're talking about admittedly, I have yet to see them all. Perhaps you could be right though.
The way people 'imitate' his voice annoys the hell out of me. Funny thing is, they all sound exactly like each other when they do it. But they sound nothing like Michael. Even people who like him do the pretend voice thing and it doesn't sound remotely like him.
LOL this is so true! They always pretend as if he sounded like some effeminate gay man or whatever, which isn't actually how he talked at all. He was soft-spoken yes, but he lacked the stereotypical mannerisms. Obviously he also wasn't gay anyway, but even that aside, it's just not what he sounded like.
His speaking voice is gorgeous, though. I've said it before, I would almost rather listen to him speaking than singing.
Well, why not both? Lol. I just really love his voice in general. 🥰

Funnily enough, I consider myself a pretty big fan, but I don't get it either!
I wasn't explaining myself properly. Michael's fans know a lot about him and some of that stuff I do know but I ignore it or just forget about it. And some of it, I think my brain filters it out before it has a chance to register with me. I always knew his voice was a thing but didn't realise just how much of a 'thing' it is until recent years. I never used to do my Michaeling online but in the last few years that has changed - no idea why, weird - and I watch videos, for example, which I never used to do. Videos of peeps talking about Michael. I never bothered before. So people doing the imitation voice thing, I just hadn't realised how big of a thing it is and how obsessed people are with his voice.

People are just utterly obsessed with this sorta thing.
They are. I don't understand it.

It's the type of stuff I usually don't even consider until others bring it up for the first time.
Same.

I do think his speaking voice deepened somewhat over time, but it was at least in part because he got older.
Exactly. His voice did change somewhat as it does for all of us, women as well as men. In his 20's he sounds exactly like he's supposed to - a young man in his 20's. But the 'high' voice thing that everyone goes on about? Nah, it's just nonsense, imo.

I'm not sure which interview you're talking about admittedly, I have yet to see them all. Perhaps you could be right though.
I've just tagged you twice on another thread where the video is posted. That's if you're interested, of course. No probs if not.

LOL this is so true! They always pretend as if he sounded like some effeminate gay man or whatever, which isn't actually how he talked at all. He was soft-spoken yes, but he lacked the stereotypical mannerisms. Obviously he also wasn't gay anyway, but even that aside, it's just not what he sounded like.
His voice was soft and gentle and he maintained a moderate tone when he spoke. He doesn't get emotional in interviews. You won't detect much in the way of excitement, anger, irritation, boredom, exhaustion in his voice. He's very contained, very polite, very thoughtful. His voice is fairly quiet and very melodius (sp?) but high pitched? I'm not hearing that. Even in TII where he has to point out to the band that they are not quite there yet, he's not feeling the groove, he is very low key the way he says it.

Well, why not both? Lol. I just really love his voice in general. 🥰
Both, for sure! What I meant was, many singers have great speaking voices, imo. But there are not many where I would almost rather hear them speak than sing. Jimi Hendrix, for sure. I'm too tired to drag myself over to the 'Heresy' thread so I'm just gonna say it here. I would take Jimi's speaking voice ahead of Michael any day. But, apart from that, I can't think of any other singer that I love where, when I listen to them speak, it's so completely fulfilling I feel as if I don't need anything else. One of my fave snippets is Groove of Midnight bc it's equal parts Michael speaking and singing. Bliss! 🥰

Back