"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

It is a tough one this biopic. With the ones like Freddie and Whitney , not so much was known about them so it was a bit easier to get into their "heyday" . This one would have to cover the early years , the beatings , the later tours Triumph , Victory ( Don King stuff etc) , the skin color change, the allegations , it is going to be difficult i would think to get all that in one movie . Even if it is over 3hrs long. Long movies tend to bore people also , especially folks that do not know THAT much about the person. The 2025 release is probably a "safe " timeline to slot it also because of this courtcase coming. If that happens.

You forget that it’s MJ. People won’t find a 3 hours Film about MJ boring.

There is so much to cover that essentially it should be a two part film - they're not gonna do that though.

It worries me the pacing of the film, to include so much music and the drama some parts are gonna feel rushed.

It needs to have a emotional connection rather than a greatest hits montage, it needs to be balanced perfectly.

It wouldn't surprise me if the J5 parts are only showed in little flashback moments.
That's the way it should be honestly like how they showed little of Presley family band in Elvis. Cause I mean what more could we know that we don't know already about 1958-1972, even the general public already knows the situation by heart. In order to save minutes, they would probably shave that down. I wouldn't be surprised if it started around 1976-1979ish. Most likely to start with the transition of Michael Jackson from the J5 to Michael Jackson & only show little Michael in like flashbacks as you said.

It’s not a Jackson family biopic so I am also fairly certain anything from 1958 till 1979 will be a footnote.
If this film is a success I have no doubt the remaining brothers will push for a Jacksons biopic too.
win win

Movies are always given an exact release date but it is also pretty common for dates to change around. If the biopic suddenly gets a star wars film in the same release window then the biopic will be pulled back or move forward. That is how it works.
Star Wars films only come out in summer or winter. Never April or whenever.

Star Wars films only come out in summer or winter. Never April or whenever.
It was an example so people who don’t understand how cinematic releases work can grasp it better. Nobody in his right mind goes toe to toe with star wars, lord of the rings, batman, spider man or avatar.

April is definitely a good window, it could be the first box office hit of the year, winter or summer would be foolish even for an MJ release.

It was an example so people who don’t understand how cinematic releases work can grasp it better. Nobody in his right mind goes toe to toe with star wars, lord of the rings, batman, spider man or avatar.

April is definitely a good window, it could be the first box office hit of the year, winter or summer would be foolish even for an MJ release.
Well it's not the best example. Especially when several other blockbusters have all come out in April. And I don't mean just big movies for a year, I'm talking Back to Back Avengers, Sonic, the Mario movie. Highest grossing films ever made

So competing is possibly exactly what MJ will have to do, just as he always has.

Well it's not the best example. Especially when several other blockbusters have all come out in April. And I don't mean just big movies for a year, I'm talking Back to Back Avengers, Sonic, the Mario movie. Highest grossing films ever made
True in avengers, sonic and mario completely caught me off guard though with their box office success
So competing is possibly exactly what MJ will have to do, just as he always has.
Now that you reminded me of Avengers I’d move the biopic earlier lol

edit: so far it is up against 2 probable mammoth successes with a minecraft film and an as of yet untitled disney film

I can agree on SW if we're talking pre-disney. [Edit] Ever since Solo bombed. I'm not sure when the other biopics released, but any similar date should be fine.

Last edited:
That's the way it should be honestly like how they showed little of Presley family band in Elvis. Cause I mean what more could we know that we don't know already about 1958-1972, even the general public already knows the situation by heart. In order to save minutes, they would probably shave that down. I wouldn't be surprised if it started around 1976-1979ish. Most likely to start with the transition of Michael Jackson from the J5 to Michael Jackson & only show little Michael in like flashbacks as you said.
If I were in charge, I would maybe start with a very short montage of the Jackson 5 days (similar in style to the Moonwalker montage) with Never Can Say Goodbye playing in the background, which then transitions to Michael being in New York in 1977 to shoot The Wiz. Basically the montage is Michael reminiscing about those olden days.

Is April 18th 2025 the INTERNATIONAL release date?

Because this day is GOOD FRIDAY, and (at least for Christians) a day where you don´t go out or celebrate.
I can only speak for Germany, though. It is a so called "silent holiday", here where many entertainment businesses keep a closed door.

I think that the biopic should be about the respect Michael didn't get:

Because this day is GOOD FRIDAY, and (at least for Christians) a day where you don´t go out or celebrate.
I can only speak for Germany, though. It is a so called "silent holiday", here where many entertainment businesses keep a closed door.
Never heard of that and I live in Germany, too. Everybody here goes to movie theatres on fridays..

I think many of you guys have wrong expectations. Movie will be 2 hours maximum. They won't focus on details in the allegations, probably they will not even mention the accusers' names. They will more likely to generally show how people exploited Michael for money and framed him. They will show the hell he went through from 93 onwards, but I guess they'll focus on his career, on his talents and how he moved people. They will show his good, humanitarian side and depict him as a victim.

It’s Långfredag! 😱

I don't think they care

Never heard of that and I live in Germany, too. Everybody here goes to movie theatres on fridays..

I think many of you guys have wrong expectations. Movie will be 2 hours maximum. They won't focus on details in the allegations, probably they will not even mention the accusers' names. They will more likely to generally show how people exploited Michael for money and framed him. They will show the hell he went through from 93 onwards, but I guess they'll focus on his career, on his talents and how he moved people. They will show his good, humanitarian side and depict him as a victim.

Well, I said many entertainment businesses keep a closed door. Not all. (Stichwort "Tanzverbot" lol) Karfreitag is a national holiday in Germany and has religious meaning for many people, still. You know this if you live in Germany, no?

Well, I said many entertainment businesses keep a closed door. Not all. (Stichwort "Tanzverbot" lol) Karfreitag is a national holiday in Germany and has religious meaning for many people, still. You know this if you live in Germany, no?
It’s a very important holiday in Christianity. A day for remembering those who have passed.

It’s a national holiday in Sweden, too. And I think the same is true in all Christian countries.

It’s a very important holiday in Christianity. A day for remembering those who have passed.

It’s a national holiday in Sweden, too. And I think the same is true in all Christian countries.

So I guess maybe the release date is US only. Usually, Europe is behind the US release dates of US movies anyways.

That's not the last Star Wars film.
For some reason, I completely forgot TROS came out after solo lol. Can't believe It's been 5 years since the last film.

Regardless, anything MJ related will catch attention. Especially the biopic. If it's done right, it could be one of the best. I'm glad they aren't sugar coating it. People need to remember he was a human being. How he felt during the good times and down times in his life. Enough of the caricature.

It’s not a Jackson family biopic so I am also fairly certain anything from 1958 till 1979 will be a footnote.
If this film is a success I have no doubt the remaining brothers will push for a Jacksons biopic too.
win win
Maybe a Jermaine biopic.
Jermaine - standing in the shadows

Ending on grammys MITM wont happen since the estate said they are going to cover the controversy. Unless they want to jump all over the timeline.
Before the allegations people also wondered about the kids; if they are smart they just show how innocent this was and then they don't have to cover anything else imo

"I speak a lot with Graham about what i remember about my father, which is not the King of Pop, THE Michael Jackson. After i read the first draft of the script i called him, i said i was crying, i told him he the most authentic picture of my father"
Apparently Prince said this about the biopic, anyone knows where?

I'm off topic here but ... the day for remembering those who have died is All Soul's Day, 2 November.

It is but in the UK lots of people just treat it as an ordinary day off. The Christian stuff does happen but it runs alongside people doing normal (secular) stuff - like going to the cinema or the pub or whatever.

Last edited:
Back