"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

Ok, I know a lot of fans don't want this movie to mention the accusations and the trial because it was the lowest point in Michael's life, but they NEED to address it.

To ignore it completely would be a cowardly move for the Estate, and the media (especially the ones who still believe Leaving Neverland is factual) will just dismiss the entire film as a propaganda piece. After all, that's what many reviewers did for the MJ Musical.

They need to address it in a delicate way. The filmmakers need to show that people like Evan Chandler and Janet Arvizo were nothing but dishonest leeches who tried to extort Michael out of millions and took advantage of his kindness. They also need to show how quickly and eagerly the tabloid press was to judge and destroy Michael after the allegations. Square One was able to perfectly portray how all those lies spread rapidly, like a spark creating a brush fire.

To ignore it completely would be a cowardly move for the Estate, and the media (especially the ones who still believe Leaving Neverland is factual) will just dismiss the entire film as a propaganda piece. After all, that's what many reviewers did for the MJ Musical.
Agree, I think biopic has to address that aspect of Michael's life. This would be very difficult. But if the can show how it was a total money grab, Michael's innocence, how it affected Michael's life, something that would make the LN believers think twice. Don't know what material they have though.

Absolutely in fact I wouldn't mind a film to handle the entire Chandler till Dan Reed era and focus on almost nothing else. First the general public has to be convinced MJ was not the monster they think he is. If they manage that a celebratory biopic could still be produced.

We will see, I'm looking forward to it. It could go both ways. MJ's name could get cleansed and people finally recognize Michael as a misunderstood gentle soul or ticket sales and reviews will be dramatic and then it spells the complete end of MJ.

The thing people need to actually realize, is that people really don't be canceling these people as hard as you think. People will still listen to Kanye, they endorsed R. Kelly way too many times, some people's parents still believe Bill Cosby was a character assassination, and some guys want Tory Lanez freed.

And that's not reducing people's crimes. And I am not saying canceling doesn't happen. Some crimes, definitely are more heinous than others. Also, a lot of people are racist, casually racist. That's a side point.

It does seem that MJ is the only one certain ones try to hold accountable. When really he's just used as a scapegoat. But I digress.

All that is to say, don't avoid the controversy, but don't make a film solely about it.

EXCLUSIVE There will be an official Michael Jackson biopic. It’s coming from Lions Gate, produced by Graham King with a John Logan screenplay. It will be called “Michael.”

The Michael Jackson estate will coproduce the film which doesn’t have a director yet.

The good news for Jackson fans is that King, who produced “Bohemian Rhapsody,” about Queen, is a Michael Jackson fan. He has done five years of research about Jackson and does not believe he the accusations of pedophilia. So the movie will not be a white wash but it will be clear eyed in its approach.

I had a long talk with King about this last week after the premiere on Broadway of “MJ The Michael Jackson Musical.” He sat with the John Branca, who runs the Estate. They are on the same page. The movie is not based on the musical and will go beyond 1992 to the end of Michael’s life in 2009. (It could really be a miniseries.)

Logan is a three-time Oscar® nominee. King and Logan previously collaborated on Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator.” Logan also wrote Ridley Scott’s Best Picture winner “Gladiator.”

King is a busy guy these days. He’s also producing the official Bee Gees biopic (my guess probably called “Staying Alive”) and toying with bringing “Bohemian Rhapsody” to Broadway based on the hit movie.
I had a long talk with King about this last week after the premiere on Broadway of “MJ The Michael Jackson Musical.” He sat with the John Branca, who runs the Estate. They are on the same page. The movie is not based on the musical and will go beyond 1992 to the end of Michael’s life in 2009. (It could really be a miniseries.)

I will quote from this article. I know it`s a Roder Friedmann-article but at least he has spoken with Graham King and Branca about it.
Is it even sure it will be a theatre-release. If it is will be on television and streaming I can good imagine a film in more parts.

Biopics are a great way of appealing to the younger audience and grabbing their attention.
As an animated movie, yes. With actors? No.

edit: let me clarify that. I mean, grabbing the attention in a POSITIVE way.

Je me demande si une mini-série ne serait pas mieux. Je veux dire qu'il y a tellement de choses à couvrir en deux heures. The Jacksons an American Dream était en deux parties et cela s'est arrêté à Thriller. Je dis une mini-série en 6-8 épisodes.
10x1H

as good as ‘an American dream’ was, it was very incomplete - even for the time span it covered.

the majority of it focused on the Jackson 5. I actually think it was all designed to promote Motown - which makes sense when you consider that Susan de passé was a producer.

they build up the Jackson’s leaving for cbs records, only to completely skip pass those years. the name change of the group wasn’t even addressed. not one Jacksons song was represented. they even ended with a full length performance of ‘the love you save’ on the ‘victory’ tour rather than ‘shake your body’. I felt that the final quarter was rushed.

I understand that both Michael and Janet wanted minimal involvement with the mini series. also, Latoya was speaking out against the family at the time. that explains why certain things were excluded.

I think Jason weaver, Angela basset and Lawrence Jacob were phenomenal in their roles. Willie draper was great at capturing michael’s growing pains during adolescence, but I think another actor should have been casted to portray ‘thriller’ era Michael. in real life, Michael had already significantly changed physically since the seventies. I don’t think you could just swap a wig to capture that. Willie was never able to master michael’s speaking voice. I actually think that flex Alexander did a better job of that in the ‘man in the mirror’ movie. I loved the way they made hayvenhurst look though 💜

I don’t think a biopic should be made. it will either be sanitised or scandalous. no one can seem to agree on what the truth was regarding Michael’s life. I think Michael still has the right to privacy. would he consent to the script if he was here?

however, if one has to be made, I think it should start with ‘the wiz’ in 1977, and end with ‘we are the world’ in 1985. it should remind people of how michael became a legend in the first place. all of the hard work he put in honing his craft.

I think a documentary where we see and hear Michael tell his own story, would be a better format. I’m sure that the ‘thriller 40’ one due out next month, will fulfill quite a lot of that..

the queen film was so good in the cinema.. imagine something similar with MJ and also the ending scene in the stadium.. but i am afraid the actor who plays MJ will be bad.. its important he gets the moves and the look right..

What time can we expect the announcement?

Back