"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

I'm positive they have done or will have done a research of who the goal public is and how long an average viewer is willing to spend at the cinema. Based on that they will surely make the right decision. If packed with good visuals and music, I don't think it will be boring to the young generation. If young people still get mesmerized by his videos, than surely a movie can achieve the same.

I say make a big one and make it become a monument in it's field.

Before Michael made the video for Thriller people must have thought it would be absurd to make such a lengthy movie ... accompanying one song.

If people binge watch 5 to 10 episodes of a series then i am sure they can manage 3 hours in a chair as well
When you're watching them at home you can always pause them for a while.

You have to consider, there may be some men/women out there who haven't a strong bladder; a 3 hours nonstop movie could be challenge for them.

🤔

"Rather than have an A-list celebrity perform one of MJ’s hits, PRN has decided to showcase an up-and-coming independent artist covering the classic “Thriller.” This unique tribute will give a talented newcomer a career-making opportunity while also reminding the audience of Michael Jackson’s timeless talent and showmanship." Jaafar, is that you?

What about younger viewers? Are they expected to sit through a nearly 4 hours movie without getting bored?

If a film is too long it can take a serious nose dive in terms of quality and enjoyment. It has to be entertaining from start to finish. You don't want people wishing they had shaved off a extra 30 mins to an hour.

A 3-4 hour movie is a turn off.
Sounds like a you problem. Heaven forbid a movie would require someone to have an attention span.

What about younger viewers?
What about them? The cinema audience spans all ages, usually. Hopefully!

Are they expected to sit through a nearly 4 hours movie
Yep. They can cope with hours and hours of a box set or a video game. I'm sure plenty of them have sat through fairly longish films such as Avatar or Dead Reckoning Part One or whatever.

without getting bored?
Depends on the quality of the film, doesn't it? If it's good and the editing and pacing are well done it should be fine.

If a film is too long it can take a serious nose dive in terms of quality and enjoyment. It has to be entertaining from start to finish. You don't want people wishing they had shaved off a extra 30 mins to an hour.
And that's the great unknown. Is this film going to be good? Let's say the film is 3 hours long? Some people won't like that but some people will be fine with it as long as the film is really, really good.

Fair enough. More than 3 hours probably is a bit of a risk, tbf, even though Michael's life was so packed with drama. But I would think 2hrs 30mins - 3 hrs should work quite well.

I don't do films but, afaik, lots of films these days are on the shorter side. Otoh, a longer film (i.e. up to 3 hours) can often send a subliminal message to the potential audience that this (longer) film has something really interesting / important to say. It could work, imo.

Last edited:
Sounds like a you problem. Heaven forbid a movie would require someone to have an attention span.
It sounds like you want a long movie because you are a Michael fan and neglect the opinion of normal people. Dont get me wrong I also would watch it if it is 5 hours. But the movie needs to make a profit and if its too long, people who are on the fence of watching wont go. But the makers probably did their research.

Seriously? The Godfather and Godfather 2 are my favourite films of all time. They're not exactly a 88min movie 🙄
It sounds like you want a long movie because you are a Michael fan and neglect the opinion of normal people. Dont get me wrong I also would watch it if it is 5 hours. But the movie needs to make a profit and if its too long, people who are on the fence of watching wont go. But the makers probably did their research.

This 👏 I appreciate the sensible answer. Rather than being extremely selfish I'm thinking about the bigger picture.

This movie is not for us hardcore fans, I want as much reach as possible and for the casual viewer to love it. I want it to sell as many tickets as possible.

If the film is shorter, there's more chance of repeat cinema viewings which generates more money.

The film will be 3 hours long and has to be epic because there is so much to cover. If people can sit through 3 hours of Oppenheimer then 3 hours of Michael will be an absolute breeze.

People on here are making me laugh with ‘what if somebody needs the toilet?’ If you need the toilet go to the toilet. Avatar, Gladiator, Laurence of Arabia, Titanic were all epic films. This concept isn’t anything new.

The same normal people were all able to go to Avangers Endgame and tons of other epic films and break box office records.

One of the producers for Michael is quoted as saying ‘This film will be a different beast’ and I’m very happy to hear that. Michael had an extremely complicated and eventful life more so than most and if he’s to be understood and humanised then it needs to be considered and thought provoking and serious. It could ever only have been told in an epic run time to deliver all of that nuance and consideration that Michael needs. It absolutely has to be a serious film.

What about younger viewers? Are they expected to sit through a nearly 4 hours movie without getting bored?

They can make a Vine/TikTok version for them. 🤣
You have to make people wanna go to the cinema. It has worked for a lot of films in the past. The Godfather, Lord of the rings, Avengers, Titanic, Avatar are all of the highest grossers ever (or most popular films) and they were all very long, not to mention a certain film called gone with the wind which feels like a marathon watch but has sold the most admission tickets of all time.
Those are mostly action movies though. Straight dramatic & comedy movies don't usually make the same amount of money as the average Marvel movie does. Older movies that were longer had an intermission, which isn't done today, at least not in Hollywood. Maybe Bollywood does. The New Edition biopic was around 6 hours, but it was shown on TV in 3 parts. It didn't go to theaters.

With going to theaters, the pandemic sped up the demise of that for a lot of folks. Movies today generally go to streaming in 4 to 5 weeks, while it's still playing in theaters. A lot of people wait, especially since depending on where a person lives a ticket can cost up to $20 each and there's $6 candy bars. A family can spend over $100 when they can wait to watch it at home for nothing, since they are already paying for the streaming service. Some just pirate the movie or buy a bootleg DVD off the street. That's why it's now more difficult for non-IP movies to make much money at the box office. There's also the case that some celebrities & entertainment companies turn off a large amount of the audience in the USA, who complain that they and/or their product is "woke". Or they make speeches telling them what to do. People make Youtube videos about this like "Why is the Little Mermaid Black" or it's now the "M-She-U".

The film will be 3 hours long and has to be epic because there is so much to cover. If people can sit through 3 hours of Oppenheimer then 3 hours of Michael will be an absolute breeze.

People on here are making me laugh with ‘what if somebody needs the toilet?’ If you need the toilet go to the toilet. Avatar, Gladiator, Laurence of Arabia, Titanic were all epic films. This concept isn’t anything new.
Very valid point. I am sure no matter the length the movie will be a very big success. I just hope we as fans dont set the bar to high with expectations like being the biggest biopic ever or movie of the year.

Maybe worth investing in Lionsgate stock if they have any.

Very valid point. I am sure no matter the length the movie will be a very big success. I just hope we as fans dont set the bar to high with expectations like being the biggest biopic ever or movie of the year.

I totally appreciate the hesitance in not wanting to get too carried away, but the unanimous feeling among the people who saw the footage and listened to the producer all feel that this is something special. Now, a certain amount of that may be hyperbole but when you consider the cast, the film sets (I believe they’re going to be using actual Neverland etc) and the estates budget, and the fact that they’re just about halfway through filming, all things considered it could possibly be a 1 billion plus box office. There’s enough universal interest in Michael be it love or hate or curiosity. And of course a lot of fans will go 2,3,4 times.

I very much doubt it will be the next Godfather and unfortunately, it will be panned by critics also as the media love to put him down. A good trailer does not necessarily mean a good film. Fingers crossed though.

If Jaafar is as convincing as Michael as they say then for us it will be magical. I am very much looking forward to sitting in a theatre watching Michael's magic unfold on screen, the iconic songs and performances. I want the audience to feel the power of Michael as an artist, not the caricature he's usually seen as.

Last edited:

I will not deny my expectation for the movie to become the biggest biopic ever in terms of revenue. Michael's popularity will without a doubt be measured by the success of this movie and not becoming the biggest will without a doubt be interpreted as a failure... by those with an agenda.

Michael was bigger than life when alive.
Michael was bigger than life in the aftermath of his passing.
Let's make him bigger than life in terms of a biopic too.

Surely his music has a bigger audience than Queen... How much did Bohemian Rhapsody make?

Last edited:
From google:
Bohemian Rhapsody, which focused on Freddie Mercury and the band Queen, took over $910m following its release in October 2018.

it will be panned by critics also as the media love to put him down.
Critics don't buy tickets. They don't praise Madea movies either, yet Tyler Perry is a billionaire and owns his own movie studio that other Hollywood studios use. Critics tend to like "art films" that the general public don't watch. Same for any other kinds of critics, they generally don't like whatever is mainstream popular. David Lee Roth once said "Music critics like Elvis Costello because they look like Elvis Costello". He said this because at the time many critics put down Van Halen's music.

I will not deny my expectation for the movie to become the biggest biopic ever in terms of revenue. Michael's popularity will without a doubt be measured by the success of this movie and not becoming the biggest will without a doubt be interpreted as a failure... by those with an agenda.

Surely his music has a bigger audience than Queen... How much did Bohemian Rhapsody make?
It’s definitely capable of beating Bohemian Rhapsody.
Bo Rap was quite successful despite the inaccuracies and the disgruntled fans reaction.

It made 910 million from a 55-55 million budget... no other musical biopic has come close to that.

If any artist is to top that it will be Michael. It's not guaranteed though based on his popularity alone. A lot of people hate MJ sadly due to what he has been accused of.

Queen never had the same type of scandal, obv Freddie with aids but that's it.

Queen are very popular but Bohemian Rhapsody defo exceeded expectations by a large margin. It overperformed.

Critics don't buy tickets. They don't praise Madea movies either, yet Tyler Perry is a billionaire and owns his own movie studio that other Hollywood studios use. Critics tend to like "art films" that the general public don't watch. Same for any other kinds of critics, they generally don't like whatever is mainstream popular. David Lee Roth once said "Music critics like Elvis Costello because they look like Elvis Costello". He said this because at the time many critics put down Van Halen's music.
That's true but when you look at those recent MJ The musical reviews , 2 stars out of 5 is quite frankly a disgrace. We don't want that.

It made 910 million from a 55-55 million budget... no other musical biopic has come close to that.

If any artist is to top that it will be Michael. It's not guaranteed though based on his popularity alone. A lot of people hate MJ sadly due to what he has been accused of.

Queen are very popular but Bohemian Rhapsody defo exceeded expectations by a large margin. It overperformed.
With Michael’s controversy, even if the critics pan the film it will only create more interest. The thing about a lot of the people who hate MJ is that they seem to put a lot of time and energy into it. I can actually see haters actively going to this because of their proactive attitudes. Reviews and reactions will be all over YouTube also which will make people want to go see it.

With Michael’s controversy, even if the critics pan the film it will only create more interest. The thing about a lot of the people who hate MJ is that they seem to put a lot of time and energy into it. I can actually see haters actively going to this because of their proactive attitudes. Reviews and reactions will be all over YouTube also which will make people want to go see it.
I do think the controversy will be a bonus and make people curious about seeing it. No doubt there will be a huge anti MJ campaign right around the time the film is released but it will get people talking and creating hype unintentionally.

Bohemian Rhapsody got mixed reviews and made those huge numbers so anything is possible.

This biopic can really turn a whole new generation of people into MJ fans.

That's true but when you look at those recent MJ The musical reviews , 2 stars out of 5 is quite frankly a disgrace. We don't want that.
I don't think Cats has ever gotten a lot of good reviews as a play (or a movie). Yet it ran for years. The movie flopped though. But musicals are not really that popular with modern audiences. Every once in awhile one becomes a hit. With movies look at the Transformers and Fast & Furious series, critics don't like them, but do make a lot of money.

Well, with Michael obviously a bigger budget is needed because of extra scenography (especially when recreating any of his videos!).
His music has a vider appeal though and there is more mystery surrounding him too.

Music and visuals need to be stressed in this movie and it will be huge!!

Hasn't MJ the musical been doing very well?
Problems in London with a few cancelled shows but, basically, yeah. The Broadway show got panned by the critics, I believe, but went on to be a commercial smash. The London show did pick up some crabby reviews but, even before it opened, they had extended the run to December. It will be more intense for the film, I think, but if it's a good product it should be OK. Not sure about the lawsuit. That might complicate things, I guess. But, generally, I'm not sure that crap reviews make much difference to a film.

Back