Michael and Space

Now that I think about it... leave me alone sounds more like a mj & sw sound... not jgf & the more I drink & listen.... LEAVE ME ALONE WAS REALLY A MJ & STEVIE WONDER TRACK. THAT SHOULD'VE REPLACED JGF..... im sorry yall... im drunk but I stg..... they should've been replaced

I can't think of any specific quote, but space and sci-fi in general were extremely popular among the youth around the time (and till much later) of the moon landing (note the sci-fi pulp magazines), so that would also apply to Michael I guess

@filmandmusic

I'm building myself an alternative mini-Eurovision song contest. So far I only have two entries, Plastic Bertrand and Dof. Nena tried to get herself on the list but I disqualified her bc that red balloons song is so dull, imo. Anyway, I'm having fun, lol.

I think so too, I don’t know why but I think so too
He would totally love the song and also her vocal parts. The guys, I'm not so sure about. Maybe. But the song overall, he'd be so up for it. I'm very confident about that, lol. It's a lovely pop song.

Liebe she says yes = love. It’s a total positive song!
Yay!

Now that I think about it... leave me alone sounds more like a mj & sw sound... not jgf & the more I drink & listen.... LEAVE ME ALONE WAS REALLY A MJ & STEVIE WONDER TRACK.
Yes!!!!!!! That is an awesome idea! I'm one of those, doesn't like JGF. I am totally underwhelmed by it. Don't think it serves either of my guys well. It's not a terrible song, it's decent enough, but it's not nearly good enough for M and S and so the duet just doesn't work, imo. But LMA could really work. It has WAY more of a Stevie groove. There is so much Stevie could bring to that song.

THAT SHOULD'VE REPLACED JGF..... im sorry yall... im drunk but I stg..... they should've been replaced
I'd be up for it, lol.

I can't think of any specific quote, but space and sci-fi in general were extremely popular among the youth around the time
I would say society in general, not just young people. I'm the same age as Michael and the whole 'space race' thing was huge, especially the American side. I wasn't madly interested in it myself but was still paying attention, if that makes sense. You couldn't avoid it and it was so ... OUT there, lol. Literally. :D

(and till much later) of the moon landing
Apollo 11. It was mind-blowing. I think us Westerners, we were all primed bc of Thunderbirds and Star Trek and all the other tv things - Fireball XL5, Supercar. Thunderbirds was British made but most of the characters were American. Michael must have known about it. So all that stuff was feeding into the space thing which came a few years later. The media coverage for Apollo 11 was non-stop although Apollo 13 ran it a close second bc of the terrible tension and uncertainty.

(note the sci-fi pulp magazines), so that would also apply to Michael I guess
Has to apply to him, doesn't it? Bc of the timing. It might not show up in his songs but it was part of his cultural landscape.

Now that I think about it... leave me alone sounds more like a mj & sw sound... not jgf & the more I drink & listen.... LEAVE ME ALONE WAS REALLY A MJ & STEVIE WONDER TRACK. THAT SHOULD'VE REPLACED JGF..... im sorry yall... im drunk but I stg..... they should've been replaced
Leave Me Alone sounds similar to Rick James' 'Forever And A Day'!

OK, I'm just full-on losing it now, lol. Found this on Twitter, from July 2019. Michael had a moon crater named after him after he died.

Also this:

And this, as well:

"Michael Jackson, one of the largest owners of property on the moon, will have a moon crater named after him in honor of his infamous Moon Walk dance move.

The crater was previously named Posidonius J and is located on an area of the moon known as the Lake of Dreams, or Lacus Somniorum. It is 22 kilometers across, or about 13.5 miles and is located next to a 1,200 acre parcel of moonscape that is owned by Jackson, according to the Lunar Republic Society."
So MJ owned a large property obtained on the moon? Is this true? When did he buy it?

Who owns that part now? Was it already sold?

So MJ owned a large property obtained on the moon? Is this true?
I have no idea. I was hoping someone else could confirm this. This type of story about Michael, my default position is usually one of scepticism or disbelief bc there are so many nonsense stories about him. I haven't seen anything online saying this *isn't* true but I'm still a bit cautious about it.

That tweet from 2019 I posted? I see that they got the story from The Telegraph which is a respected British newspaper. Which does not mean that the story is definitely true. Any newspaper can get things wrong. The Telegraph sits behind a paywall so I haven't checked it out for myself. For now, I'm going to assume that the story is accurate.

When did he buy it?
Most of the links I saw didn't say but I just found another account of this on an MJ blog which I have no idea if I'm allowed to post a link for. Let's see what happens. I can always delete it if the mods aren't happy about it. The blog tells us that Michael bought the land in 2005 but it doesn't name the source, just mentions a 'media report'.

No idea.

@zinniabooklover
Plastic Bertrand is the Belgian entry in your eurovision? You could go for Golden Earring for the Netherlands, I’m sure you know plenty of their songs. But better would be
Time Bandits

Spain

Italy

Love all 3 tracks

@zinniabooklover
Plastic Bertrand is the Belgian entry in your eurovision?
PB is The Man! He wore a pink biker jacket! Also, his lip syncing is fabulous - and he never stops smiling. He's a legend, lol. He didn't sing the song but I don't care. That video he did was awesome. Very bouncy!

You could go for Golden Earring for the Netherlands, I’m sure you know plenty of their songs.
I don't like Golden Earring. Or any of the others. Sorry! The Spanish one, er, I'm just not very good with European pop. What can I say? Hopeless case, that's me. Rafaella thingy, I think she had some hits over here but, erm, very boring. To me, I mean. Not for you, obvs. Time Bandits? I basically lose the will to live. :(

My Eurovision plan has ground to a halt. I have PB and Dof. Perfect! I've been listening to Codo a lot, today.

Starlight, Starlight Sun...

Xscape really played up the futuristic extraterrestrial look as well. And J-Roc Harmon once made a comment I really liked: There are stars, superstars, Michael Jackson was a Quasar.

oh, of course! So obvious! That is so cool.

Xscape really played up the futuristic extraterrestrial look as well. And J-Roc Harmon once made a comment I really liked: There are stars, superstars, Michael Jackson was a Quasar.
Love this. I have always described Michael as an entire universe but this is great. I had to look it up, though. :D

Found this on britannica.com

"quasar, an astronomical object of very high luminosity found in the centres of some galaxies [ ... ] The brightest quasars can outshine all of the stars in the galaxies in which they reside, which makes them visible even at distances of billions of light years. Quasars are among the most distant and luminous objects known."

Last edited:
Advert for Victory from 1984. This doesn't fit in quite so well as the Triumph advert but there are sort of laser beam effects through the ad.

@zinniabooklover
Plastic Bertrand is the Belgian entry in your eurovision? You could go for Golden Earring for the Netherlands, I’m sure you know plenty of their songs. But better would be
Time Bandits

Spain

Italy

Love all 3 tracks
What the fuss does this have to do with Michael and space? 🤨

I find that Xscape ought to be automatically disqualified, since Michael wasn’t involved in the packaging.

Love the quote!

Xscape really played up the futuristic extraterrestrial look as well.
I wasn't gonna go with this bc it's MJE not Michael himself. But it does fit. The photo works really well, imo, and totally reflects Michael's interest in 'space' stuff. The Xscape photo also reminds me of that photo session that Michael did with Arno Bani. Most of those photos don't work for me. Really, really don't like them - they are so cold, almost CGI-like. BUT ... the 'blue eye' photo from that session, I do like that one. There's a very 'science fiction', other-worldly look and feel to it.

Here's a different version to the one that usually gets used.

iu

Last edited:
Who said he had to be involved?
I might be in the wrong here, but I figured the thread to be about Michael’s alleged fascination for space. Let us play with the notion of me being right about this, and then Michael’s involvement couldn’t possibly be anything but required.

I wasn't gonna go with this bc it's MJE not Michael himself. But it does fit. The photo works really well, imo, and totally reflects Michael's interest in 'space' stuff. The Xscape photo also reminds me of that photo session that Michael did with Arno Bani. Most of those photos don't work for me. Really, really don't like them - they are so cold, almost CGI-like. BUT ... the 'blue eye' photo from that session, I do like that one. There's a very 'science fiction', other-worldly look and feel to it.

Here's a different version to the one that usually gets used.

iu
Yeah, there's another photo from this era that looks just like the Xscape photo album.

So MJ owned a large property obtained on the moon? Is this true? When did he buy it?

Smh this is so funny & stupid...the moon was here way before us humans & then we get created & think we just own a piece of it...this is by far the dumbest thing I've read lmao. (The article)

Smh this is so funny & stupid...the moon was here way before us humans & then we get created & think we just own a piece of it...this is by far the dumbest thing I've read lmao. (The article)
oh, I totally agree with you on this. It was me who posted the article and, yes, I'm intrigued as to whether Michael really did buy chunks of land on the moon. But, if it is true, it's kind of bonkers. I was never hugely interested in the space race stuff. Kind of, yes, bc it was happening in my lifetime and it was so weird and different and quite dramatic. But also just, no, bc I'm not up for humans plodding all over the known universe whether it's the moon or scaling Mt Everest or the Himalayas or where-ever. I wish we would focus on trying to help our own planet in positive ways without feeling the need to plonk a flag everywhere.

Having said all that, I don't mind having a little daydream about this, wondering if Michael had a real interest in space / science fiction stuff and how did that manifest. I did quite like that bit about the Lake of Dreams. I like the idea of Michael's name being next to that on the moon's surface. That's assuming it's even true. There are so many rich people in the world. Is the moon even big enough for all of them to have a piece of it named after them?

Magdalena “gold girl”: “There was talk of you going to the moon to perform an authentic moonwalk here. Is there any truth in this?”
Michael Jackson: {laughs} There is some truth in it. It’s not a rumour. I’ll just say that.

I might be in the wrong here, but I figured the thread to be about Michael’s alleged fascination for space. Let us play with the notion of me being right about this, and then Michael’s involvement couldn’t possibly be anything but required.
Well, a fan drew all of that Xscape art, so I still count it. It's how they visualize him so it at least feels like his realm.

Well, a fan drew all of that Xscape art, so I still count it. It's how they visualize him so it at least feels like his realm.
It isn’t about some fan’s fascination for space, is it?

Michael Jackson also expressed the desire to do the moonwalk on moon.

For that reason, the singer asked his close friend and personal magician Uri Geller to make all the necessary arrangements, who in turn got in touch with astronaut Edgar Mitchell for some additional help.

His moonwalk on moon was meant as a publicity stunt that would also add a supernatural aura to his image.

Michael Jackson was also best man when Uri Geller renewed his wedding vows in 2001.

The singer had also another personal magician (named Majestik Magnificent) for his own, private amusement.

He also wrote and released his 'Moonwalk' autobiography (which is the only autobiography of his life).

Michael Jackson also flies off the stage on a Jetpack at the end of each Dangerous concert (although it is actually stuntman Kinnie Gibson who does that).

[…] Michael Jackson also flies off the stage on a Jetpack at the end of each Dangerous concert (although it is actually stuntman Kinnie Gibson who does that).
What’s the connection to space in that?

Back