Michael Jackson in Blu Ray/HD

HIStory Tour in Munich can absolutely be released in Blu-Ray format, it was shot in High Definition. There were rumours one more show from HIStory was too, although this has never been confirmed.

Yes, it was recorded by 'dierks tv' with 12 analog and 6 digital cameras. Dierks is by the way a studio close to Cologne where some parts of Ghosts (song) were created (see liner notes in BOTDF, I think it was the drum programming) and 'In The Studio with MJ' took place here, too.

The other HIStory show that is meant to be shot in HD is Brunei. Here's an interview with Gavin Taylor who shot both Brunei concerts in 1996:
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/culture/music/gavin-taylor-filmed-rare-footage-4476790

Both concerts have in common that additional cameras were used which can always be a hint for further plans.

876930.jpeg

Last edited:
We saw Bad and The Way You Make Me Feel for sure. Dirty Diana too I'm sure.

Nah you saw alternate takes of Bad and TWYMMF. As I said, this is not an assurance of the Estate have retained the finished music video negatives.

Worryingly, to me, it looked as though Scorsese and Schoonmaker were reviewing an SD copy on their screen. Though obviously, it's difficult to tell.

Nah you saw alternate takes of Bad and TWYMMF. As I said, this is not an assurance of the Estate have retained the finished music video negatives.

Worryingly, to me, it looked as though Scorsese and Schoonmaker were reviewing an SD copy on their screen. Though obviously, it's difficult to tell.

I think the fact that we saw alternate takes and behind the scenes footage in HD makes it more likely that have the short films too. Why would they save stuff that was never meant to be seen and not the actual short films?

I think the fact that we saw alternate takes and behind the scenes footage in HD makes it more likely that have the short films too. Why would they save stuff that was never meant to be seen and not the actual short films?

I agree.

Also, by the time Bad came out, everything Michael related had big value. Why would a company decide to throw away the original film? I would understand if some of it is missing. But all those music videos and and concerts. That is way too much material to go missing.

My guess is that nobody wants to pay for the restoration.

I feel like it's much easier for stuff like this to get lost or damaged over time than people think. Now I hope they have all the stuff, and if the estate were the least bit competent they would have digitised it all by now.

Last edited:
At this point id like any REAL HD concert to be released. Only because MJ deserves at least one Blu ray concert release. I mean real widescreen HD btw. Why would they give us the same Munich concert in the exact 4:3 quality? A true full HD widescreen Blu ray from the History could make a big difference. But go try and crop that show into 16:9. It looks just awful.

If they release a History tour, it better be in real widescreen.

Did we ever find out if HIStory Munich that was on ZDF actual HD? but shot in 4:3 if not its beautiful.

At this point id like any REAL HD concert to be released. Only because MJ deserves at least one Blu ray concert release. I mean real widescreen HD btw. Why would they give us the same Munich concert in the exact 4:3 quality? A true full HD widescreen Blu ray from the History could make a big difference. But go try and crop that show into 16:9. It looks just awful.

I don't think they filmed HIStory Tour concerts in widescreen. If a concert is 4:3 then it should be released that way.

Well this is what I alluded to earlier. The HD upload that is on YouTube of Munich is 4:3. If it were shot in 16:9 then the Youtube upload would be in that aspect ratio. It's not, so therefore I don't think we would ever get a true 16:9 HD release.

On top of that, the HIStory Munich concert really wasn't his best and from all I've read Jackson himself didn't allow the making of a DVD bc he wasn't happy with his performance. He looked rather tired all night, had to lip sync 90% of the concert due to laryngitis which is obvious during J5 Medley and ESPECIALLY painfully obvious Wanna Be Startin Something. His ad lips in Billie Jean are also pretty poor. You simply can't do a mass release of something like that, Michael Jackson or not.

The best bet is for A) a Bad Tour Blu Ray release since we know a film camera was used (and shot in 16:9 obviously) or B) Some of his videos to be restored and released as a Blu Ray box set , similar to what they did for the Beatles.

Of course it also seems that they did film that 12/31/92 Dangerous Tokyo concert in film, but something tells me that release is far more unlikely.

I don't think they filmed HIStory Tour concerts in widescreen. If a concert is 4:3 then it should be released that way.

Was moonwalked cutted in Widescreen on BD? Or had Warner the widescreen tape?

Hulkamaniac;4232305 said:
Then a blu ray release of the HT Munich is absolutely pointless

I don’t think we’ve ever seen the real HD source.

So why were none of the clips from the finished videos in HD in Bad 25? Why did they revert to the existing known SD versions? They couldn't be bothered to include them? I appreciate what you're saying but it's also nonsensical.

So why were none of the clips from the finished videos in HD in Bad 25? Why did they revert to the existing known SD versions? They couldn't be bothered to include them? I appreciate what you're saying but it's also nonsensical.

One reason could be that they didn't scan the short films in HD then. They had no plans to release them on Blu-Ray at that point because they were just making a documentary. It could also be possible that they did scan them but they didn't want to show them yet.

Last edited:
All I want to see on Bluray:
BAD Tour
Victory Tour
Ghosts
Thriller
Although Thriller and ghosts seems more likely...

It's also the Michael Jackson Estate.

One reason could be that they didn't scan the short films in HD then. They had no plans to release them on Blu-Ray at that point because they were just making a documentary. It could also be possible that they did scan them but they didn't want to show them yet.

Or they don't have them? Just a thought. haha

I feel they probably have them but they can't be bothered to pay for any restorations.

SmoothGangsta;4232549 said:
I feel they probably have them but they can't be bothered to pay for any restorations.

I’m seen as some crazy Mr negative on here it seems but I’m actually going to defend the Estate here. If this was true, why did they do all the film work for random BTS shots and all the APOM footage?

Or do you mean they can’t be bothered to do them all and release it?

dam2040;4232565 said:
I’m seen as some crazy Mr negative on here it seems but I’m actually going to defend the Estate here. If this was true, why did they do all the film work for random BTS shots and all the APOM footage?

Or do you mean they can’t be bothered to do them all and release it?

Yeah, they probably don't see it as a priority.

SmoothGangsta;4232594 said:
Yeah, they probably don't see it as a priority.

It’s an odd one. They did all the work for basically unusable footage in Bad 25. You’d have thought the short films would be easier to make money off.

dam2040;4232607 said:
It’s an odd one. They did all the work for basically unusable footage in Bad 25. You’d have thought the short films would be easier to make money off.

Yeah, it really wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have them in releasable quality either but I think they probably do. This stuff deteriorates over time and can also be easily lost. It would be a shame for sure.

All footage from APOM special was releasable the audio is stereo and sounds great and he looked hyped. Anyone know what bad show that was from?

All footage from APOM special was releasable the audio is stereo and sounds great and he looked hyped. Anyone know what bad show that was from?

I think it was July 15th in London and another date in Paris 1988.

WiseGuy;4232642 said:

No but you can’t just release Another Part of Me and call it a day. By unusable I meant that it would be hard to create something substantial out of it other than the doc.

Behind the scenes footage would only work if the original short films are included and they would have to be in as good quality as the BTS stuff.

The Bad 25 doc was full of absolute gems and I hope we can see more footage like that soon.

Back