Michael Jackson Mourns Maurice Gibb .. January 12th, 2003 - 9th Anniversary of Passing..

MJ TinkerBell

Proud Member
Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
clip_image001%25255B5%25255D.jpg

lisxd2mikwidimwx.jpg

Maurice Ernest Gibb, CBE
(December 222, 1949 &#8211; January 12, 2003)

Nicknamed "Mo" by friends and loved ones was a musician, singer-songwriter and record producer. He was 53 years old born to Hughie and Barbara Gibb. He was born in the Isle of Man, the twin brother of Robin Gibb, and younger brother to Barry. He is best known as a member of the singing/songwriting trio the Bee Gees, formed with his brothers. The trio got their start in Australia, and found major success when they returned to England. The Bee Gees became one of the most successful pop groups ever. Maurice Gibb died at a Miami Beach, Florida hospital of complications resulting from a twisted intestine (Volvulus). His second wife, Yvonne, 51, and his children, Adam, 26, and Samantha, 25, were at his bedside. A family spokesperson, speaking outside the hospital, said: "It is with great sadness and sorrow that we regretfully announce the passing of Maurice Gibb this morning. "His love and enthusiasm and energy for life remain an inspiration to all of us. We will all deeply miss him."

tumblr_l8cn4x0oe21qd9tvjo1_500.jpg

During a career that spanned four decades the group sold more than 110 million albums. Maurice helped write and perform 19 British top ten hits, including five number ones and more than 50 hits worldwide which included Staying Alive, How Deep is Your Love and Jive Talkin'. They were also behind the bestselling soundtrack to the 1970s film, "Saturday Night Fever". But with all their successes also came their greatest tragedies. In 1988, the youngest member of the Gibb family, Andy, died from a heart-attack brought on by alcohol and cocaine abuse. His brothers Barry and Robin retired the name Bee Gees for a time, declining to perform as a group. However, as time passed, they decided to perform occasionally under the Bee Gees banner. In 1994, Maurice Gibb was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and in 1997 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His catalogue is published byBMG Music Publishing. In 2002, Maurice was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), along with his brothers, but the awards were not presented until 2004, after Maurice's death; his son Adam accompanied Barry and Robin to Buckingham Palace for the ceremony, representing his father. On July 10, 2009, Maurice was posthumously made a Freeman of the Borough of Douglas. The Award, was also bestowed on Robin and Barry, therefore confirming the freedom of the town of their birth to all three brothers. The brothers had nine No. 1 songs, wrote dozens of hits for other artists placing them fifth in pop history behind Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney. Former wife Lulu and singer Michael Jackson were among those who sent messages of support when it was announced that the star - who successfully battled alcoholism was critically ill. At the time of his death Maurice was working on a new material with his brother Barry and singer Michael Jackson.

Au66.jpg

bgmj-500x500.jpg

The Gibb Brothers knew Michael Jackson as a colleague and a personal friend. They have worked together and Barry and Linda's son Michael was named after Michael Jackson and the King of Pop was the godfather of Michael Gibb. The Bee Gees last album, "This is Where I Came In", was released in 2001. With this release what turned out to be their final album of new material as a group, "This Is Where I Came In". The album was another success, reaching the Top 10 in the UK (being certified Gold), and the Top 20 in the US. The title track was also a UK Top 20 hit single. The album gave each member of the group a chance to write in his own way, as well as composing songs together. For example, Maurice's compositions and leads are the "Man in the Middle" and "Walking on Air," while Robin contributed "Déjà Vu," "Promise the Earth," and "Embrace," and Barry contributed "Loose Talk Costs Lives," "Technicolour Dreams", and "Voice in the Wilderness". The other songs are collaborative in writing and vocals. They performed many tracks from "This Is Where I Came In", plus many of their biggest hits, on the live televised concert series Live by Request, shown on the A&E Network. The last concert of the Bee Gees as a trio was at the Love and Hope Ball in 2002.

Article: Hundreds Attend Maurice Gibb's Funeral

photo_1311348018.jpg

During a private funeral service yesterday (Jan. 15) in Miami Beach that mixed humor and emotion, Bee Gees member Maurice Gibb was remembered as a man who celebrated life. About 200 friends and family, including singer Michael Jackson and other celebrities, attended the service for the Bee Gees keyboardist and bass player. Gibb, 53, died suddenly early Sunday.Though Gibb's family has questioned his medical care -- a county medical examiner is reviewing the case and results of an autopsy are expected Friday -- there was no mention of any allegations of wrongdoing during the service, several mourners said. Robin Gibb, one of the two surviving Bee Gees, spoke briefly about his love for his twin brother. "It was emotional, there was humor... Everybody talked about how this was a man who really celebrated life and so this was a celebration of his life," said family friend Jennifer Valoppi. Michael Jackson, a longtime friend of the Bee Gees, and Harry Wayne Casey of KC and the Sunshine Band, were among the celebrities who joined Maurice Gibb's wife, Yvonne, his son, Adam, as well as his older brother and Bee Gees partner, Barry Gibb.

The Source
http://www.billboard.com/news/hundr...s-attend-maurice-gibb-s-funeral-1797879.story

The Youtube Videos

Maurice Gibb Memorial Park Unveiling
[YOUTUBE]Bec7_7NRL3s[/YOUTUBE]

Tribute to Maurice Gibb - 8 Years On (2011)
[YOUTUBE]uOfvnI7NKMw[/YOUTUBE]

Michael Jackson sings The Bee Gees (Stayin' Alive)
[YOUTUBE]zoP-bS6txyM[/YOUTUBE]

A Statement on June 25th 2009:Barry Gibb & Robin Gibb:
"Michael was my friend, the only recording artist I truly knew and who truly knew me. The Bee Gees and Michael Jackson heard music with the same ears. He was the Godfather to my son Michael. We have lost a dear member of our family, we are devastated. Michael you will live forever in our hearts. Fly away butterfly take it to your journeys end. We will always love you."
Following MJ's death, a note was found on Michael's mirror to his close friend. Latoya told Barry Gibb about this note and Barry said he talked to Michael&#65279; all of the time. Barry posted, as tribute to Michael Jackson, a photo on his website to remember the good times and good relationship they had. Also Robin paid attention to the sudden death of Michael on his website:
"We've not only lost a great friend in Michael but also lost a wonderful sensitive human being".

GibbJacksonGb250511.jpg

In 2011:
"All in Your Name" an unreleased song by Michael Jackson & Barry Gibb
The Bee Gee's Barry Gibb confirmed the existence of the anti-war song, which he had been collaborating with Jackson on in 2002. It had been intended for an album Jackson had been working on in 2003, but the album was never released. A demo version by Gibb and Jackson is known to exist.
Barry: "The song is dedicated to all of Michael's fans all over the World. Michael and I both love it. We hope you do to". Michael Jackson and I were the dearest of friends'. Recorded and filmed during Barry and Michael's last session at Middle Ear Studios in December 2002. All footage ( there's over 2 hours) was shot by Barry's son Ashley Gibb. Billboard reported on December 20th,2002 that Barry wrote a song with Michael Jackson 'recently' in protest of the United States government's plan to invade Iraq (which took place in March 2003). Rumor is that Michael showed up one day with a partly written song and talked Barry into contributing to it. The date was probably in the summer there is a demo recording of it.

safe_image.php

gente.jpg

Updated Report: Bee Gees Star Robin Gibb Battling Liver Cancer
Nov. 20, 2011 2:02 PM PST by Brandi Fowler..

Paul_Cox_5_duran_duran_robin_gibb_please_album.png

Following a couple of health scares this year, Robin Gibb is in the fight of his life.
The Bee Gees star has reportedly been diagnosed with liver cancer, according to the Daily Mail&#8212;a condition he became aware of several months ago. The 61-year-old "Stayin' Alive" singer, who has become noticeably thinner in recent months, has had to cancel several appearances recently due to issues with severe abdominal pain. Most recently, Gibb was rushed to the hospital Tuesday, following an emergency call from his home. He was released later that day. News of Gibb's diagnosis comes on the heels of another hospitalization in October, due to severe abdominal pain.

The Source:
http://ca.eonline.com/news/report_bee_gees_star_robin_gibb/276106

Please pray for Robin Gibb and the entire Gibb Family ...:angel::heart::heart:

The Photo Gallery:

bee-gees-pic-rex-image-2-935897171.jpg

bee_gees.jpg

bgs_mj_thumb.jpg

Maurice+Gibb+13.jpg

maurice-gibb-77557.jpg

Maurice+Gibb+08.jpg

A19t6eAbdpL._SL600_.jpg

Maurice-Gibb.jpg

88775810.jpg

Lest we forget The Gibbs have lost 2 angels in their Family..

Andrew Roy Gibb ~
March 5, 1958 &#8211; March 10, 1988

500full.jpg

a38a5215c975fc446d516fab64f9d98f.jpg

ANDY-GIBB-01.jpg

gibb.jpg

Bee%2BGees%2Bwith%2BAndy%2BGibb%2B1979.jpg

6a00d83454de4669e2011570bfa536970c-800wi

Rest In Peace The Brothers Gibb !!

andy_gibb_kissing_brother_maurice_gibb.jpg

Andy Gibb kissing brother Maurice Gibb

Michael's beautiful smile along with your beautiful smiles truly lit up this World as you do now in the heavens..:heart::angel::heart:

Last edited:
being the HUGE BeeGees fan that I am,,I also remember when this happened...I also remember when Andy passed away..this is one talented family and they have suffered their share of grief that is for sure. RIP guys,...You are more of Angels than you know. Thank you.

What a shock it was when Andy died. Now THAT was much, much too soon. Only 30 years old. I cannot believe the losses the Gibb family has had to endure. And now Robin in ill. Sometimes it seems like everyone is dying.

I remember they had a sister...

When I first heard DSTYGE when I was out dancing in discos I thought it was Bee-Gees song.
They were very popular here
Thank you for the music

:cry:The shock was so great when Andy died it was to big to accept and acknowledge at the time:bugeyed..I remember that there was never a good enough answer or reason why we lost Andy at only 30yrs old !! There will never be an answer good enough !! :cry:
:angel:I miss you Andy
:sad:

Loved the Bee Gees and remember to dancing to their music at the disco. I am glad they were part of our lives as a group.

120414051736-robin-gibb-1969-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Robin Gibb Dies at 62 after long fight with Cancer;
Rose to Pop Fame as one of the Bee Gees..
By Claire Noland, Los Angeles Times..May 20, 2012, 4:37 p.m

robin-gibb.jpg

Robin Gibb and his brothers, Maurice and Barry, produced a string of memorable hits and were at the forefront of the disco era with their iconic 'Saturday Night Fever' soundtrack. Robin Gibb was diagnosed with cancer that spread from his colon to his liver last year.

bee-gees-421933645.jpg

Robin Gibb, a singer and songwriter who joined two of his brothers in forming the Bee Gees pop group that helped define the sound of the disco era with the best-selling 1977 soundtrack to "Saturday Night Fever," has died. He was 62.

Bee-Gees-cancer.jpg

Gibb died Sunday after battling cancer and while recuperating from intestinal surgery, family spokesman Doug Wright announced.

This spring Gibb had been hospitalized in London with advanced colorectal cancer. He had intestinal surgery in March and, after contracting pneumonia, was unable to attend the April 10 premiere in London of "The Titanic Requiem," a classical composition he wrote with his son, Robin-John, to coincide with the 100th anniversary observance of the luxury ocean liner's sinking. He later fell into a coma but awoke April 21 after his family spent days singing to him at his bedside.

Bee-Gees.jpg

The Bee Gees energized the disco craze of the 1970s with such falsetto-laced hits as "Stayin' Alive," "Night Fever" and "How Deep Is Your Love?" from "Saturday Night Fever" and, from the successful follow-up album, "Too Much Heaven," "Tragedy" and "Love You Inside Out."

Their four-decade pop career was a roller-coaster ride of soaring success, plunging popularity, reinvention and difficult times.

The Bee Gees had nine No. 1 U.S. singles in the 1970s, won six Grammy Awards and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

robingibb.jpg

Their youngest brother, Andy, who had a solo career apart from the Bee Gees, died of a heart condition at age 30 in 1988 after struggling with addiction. Robin's fraternal twin, Maurice, also died prematurely, at 53 in 2003, of a heart attack while awaiting surgery for a blocked intestine. Robin survived a horrific train wreck in 1967 and later battled amphetamine dependence.

bee-gees-201590.jpg

The Bee Gees — Robin, Maurice and their older brother, Barry — were an established pop act a decade before "Saturday Night Fever," with a string of hits, some of which featured Robin's plaintive, quavering vocal style, notably on "I Started a Joke."

Robin and Maurice were born Dec. 22, 1949, on the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea, and music was always part of their household. Their father, Hugh, a drummer and big band leader, took odd jobs to support his wife, Barbara, four sons and daughter Leslie. As the boys grew up in Manchester, England, and then Brisbane, Australia, they listened to the harmonies of the Mills Brothers on their parents' radio and Elvis Presley and other early rockers on their sister's record player.

maurice_gibb_06.jpg

Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb began honing their three-part vocal harmonies at a young age and performed in minor venues in England and in Australia, where they lived from 1958 to 1967. They called themselves the Brothers Gibb.

When the family returned to England, the brothers were signed to a contract by Robert Stigwood, a business associate of the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein. Now known as the Bee Gees, they had their first international hit, an evocative mood piece called "New York Mining Disaster 1941."

wenn3281798-1970.jpg

The Bee Gees went on to fashion an eclectic collection of hits, all composed and written by the brothers. They began with lyrical ballads such as "Massachusetts" and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" before moving into dance numbers "Jive Talkin'" and "You Should Be Dancing" and then taking off with the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack.

"This was the peak of record sales in all of history," Robin Gibb told the Weekend Australian in 2009, referring to the band's zenith in the late '70s and early '80s. "Since 1967, there have only been three albums that have truly affected the culture, and that's [the Beatles'] 'Sgt. Pepper,' 'Fever' and [Michael Jackson's] 'Thriller.' There's not many people who know what that feels like. We're like the guys who have been to the moon."

"Saturday Night Fever" remained the biggest-selling soundtrack album until it was eclipsed in the early '90s by "The Bodyguard," which was dominated by Whitney Houston songs. And yet the Bee Gees never set out to exemplify the disco craze.

tumblr_lokk4bXzba1qglltso1_500.jpg

After Robin left the group in 1969 for a two-year stretch, they reassembled in Miami in the mid-'70s and experimented with synthesizers, a thumping beat and falsetto vocals. Working with Atlantic Records producer Arif Mardin, they made a comeback in 1975 with the R&B-influenced "Jive Talkin'" and "Nights on Broadway."

"We didn't think when we were writing any of our music that you would dance to it," Gibb said in a 2010 interview with the New Zealand Herald. "We always thought we were writing R&B grooves, what they called blue-eyed soul. We never heard the word 'disco,' we just wrote groove songs we could harmonize strongly to, and with great melodies."

robin_gibb_bee_gees_1968_robin_gibb_maurice_gibb_barry_gibb_17p1hf5-17p1hgo.jpg

To capitalize on their new sound, Stigwood asked the Gibbs to write four songs for a movie he was producing that was based on writer Nik Cohn's 1976 story for New York magazine headlined "Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Night." John Travolta was to star in the movie that would introduce New York's discotheque dance culture to mainstream audiences.

"When we gave the songs to the movie, we didn't see it," Gibb told Billboard magazine in 2001. "Nobody had any clue it was going to be big. The first time we saw the movie was when it came out."

They came to personify the era, however, resplendent in their white satin suits, gold chains and flowing manes on the album cover.

But that also made them easy targets in the subsequent backlash against disco. The Bee Gees were treated "as if we had leprosy," Robin told Entertainment Weekly in 1997. They had one top-10 single in 1989 and disbanded after Maurice died.

Robin-Gibb-20728001-3-402.jpg

"As brothers we were like one person," Gibb told the Daily Mail in 2011. "Me and Barry have always been the principal writers of the Bee Gees' sound, and Maurice was the glue that kept the personalities intact. We were kind of triplets, really.

robin-gibb-300.jpg

"I feel blessed I was born into a family that had Barry and Maurice in it. On a creative level it's like winning the lottery — you can't choose that."

Besides his brother Barry, sister Leslie and mother, Barbara, Gibb is survived by his second wife, Dwina, and their son, Robin-John; two children from his marriage to Molly Hullis that ended in divorce, Spencer and Melissa; and another daughter, Snow Robin, from a 2008 relationship.

claire.noland@latimes.com Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

Rest In Peace The Angels Gibb
I1sqH.jpg

Andy,
Andy+Gibb.jpg

Maurice
maurice-gibb.jpg

and Robin
tumblr_m37ppgHmKb1qcx3szo1_500.png

angel-praying-3-300x236.jpg

The Source:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-robin-gibb-20120521,0,5610828.story

Last edited:
It is so sad to see a family go through so much pain. I was introduced to the Bee Gees music in the 70s with the movie Saturday Night Fever. It is interesting to read that they were around in the 60's. The sound of this group will always be part of my music life.

Rest in Peace.

It is so sad - Barry is the oldest and he had to see all of his brothers go :(

RIP Robin. Thoughts and prayers are with your family and all of those who loved you.

This is very sad.

RIP Robin. God bless & protect his family, especially his brother Barry.

We are losing so many legends far too early.

Hate the fact that all my childhood favorites are dying off waaay too soon. :(

Bee Gees Singer Remembers Michael Jackson - Sky News 06/28/09

Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb has described Michael Jackson's death as a loss of 'a great friend and wonderful, sensitive human being'. Sky's Adam Boulton talks to the star about his memories of the King of Pop.

[youtube]g5wZg_LrK4U[/youtube]

Back