Michael Jackson Scream - The Album

Re: #MJScream - Coming 29th September.

Set list is rather strange unless certain non scary type songs are there because they are in the animated film.doesnt make much sense otherwise.Could have been alot better Like others say

Just checked the track times. It's the shitty newer version of Xscape that's on here

Glow in the Dark Vinyl I miggghhht have to purchase.... (for the collector in me)

I just want making of Thriller and Ghosts on Blu Ray. Give me that and I'm happy

Just checked the track times. It's the shitty newer version of Xscape that's on here

Why would you expect anything else? It's the new "official" version don't you know....lol

I actually like it now, not better than the original but still good. I like both.

Support and enjoy it if you want, but let people complain if they want. It's mostly justified tbh given the Estate's track record. I keep seeing certain fans say we are the most moany fanbase? Really? How many dead musicians of MJ's calibre are there? How many of you frequent Elvis fan forums to really make that judgement? I certainly don't..

Yes, really. So many times I go into the the Facebook comments/Twitter replies of an MJ post, and the fans in there are whining about one thing or another.
Literally copying off the latest post for Scream (and these are top comments on the post, mind you).

"Why can't they just release unreleased material" Because there's only so much material thats of quality that can be released. Plus they want to shine attention on his catalogue to newer fans? Why do people ignore the fact they've released almost 30 pieces of new material! That's A LOT for a dead artist in one decade! Fans need to be more grateful.

"That's great, but I wish there will be new album for unreleased songs during dangerous era, in an album called "Dangerous 25"" Perhaps the biggest thing I see fans complaining about. It was a legit complaint a year ago (and I REALLY wanted D25 too!), but for the love of god get over it. It's not happening.

"I should be very happy, but instead I hate when his songs are touched, when they are reworked and remixed." - It's 1 song on a 14 track album! Everything else is untouched! If you don't like it, literally just don't listen to. There are tens of thousands of remixes of Michael's music online, focusing on official remixes there have been dozens and dozens released when Michael was alive.

"Mj's estate is slowly killing his legacy." Hardly. This project is literally aimed at non-fans to help get them interested in Michael Jackson's legacy.

Someone even literally called John Branca an asshole for releasing this. It's pathetic. Now this is sprinkled in between the odd generic comment about how MJ is a lovely person, the King of Pop etc etc so it's not 100% bad. As for Elvis, I actually have read his Facebook comments occasionally and I've seen some fans complain, that is true, but it's not to the extent of Michael Jackson fans. When I go to his Facebook page and see the comments, it's of people going on about how attractive he was, how such a great singer he was etc etc. Some criticism pops up if it's a new project, but I don't see it get as bad as Michael's page.

I am fine if people complain about legitimate issues. In fact I think legitimate criticism is good and the Estate has listened to us (see Xscape's track listing, them asking MJJC to open a feedback thread a few years back), but some people really need to be more grateful, appreciate the cool stuff they've given us and stop whinging.

Last edited:

HIStoric's post above mine hits the nail right on the head. Facebook comments and Twitter responses are insufferable in this regard.

Yes this is true but another axiom is that there has been dozens upon dozens of MJ compilation albums. I understand your perspective there's nothing wrong with being excited about this project, I understand what and who they are aiming at with this release but you also have to understand the fans who already have these songs and has bought them numerous times throughout the years, one can just make a playlist on spotify with these tracks.

I don't think it's this conspiracy that people rally against the estate taking a stance of opposition to every announced project, at least not this one. Some just don't wanna buy these songs again and genuinely aren't interested in this one. Also Scream, Leave Me Alone, Dirty Diana in a halloween themed album but not Is It Scary? OK. At least I'm glad that they included Threatened.

Another compilation album is certainly unnecessary given the massive buildup we already have (as you said), but to throw a tantrum and dismiss the entire project as "useless" and "a failure" because of it? That's just childish. I don't expect anyone to feign excitement or spend money toward a project they don't care for, because I can completely relate to and understand the disappointment behind it -- I'm quite let down myself. But in the grand scheme of things, this truly is not a big deal, and to lash out as if this is a Michael-level disaster just feels rather petty.

The whole "take into account their track record" argument is also quite played out as well. Just because they've made some irrevocably-stupid missteps in the past doesn't mean that every project is headed down that road, nor should they be given equal treatment.

I dunno. I just think the entire fan base needs to take a breather.

I think perhaps this release needs to be looked at from another perspective. It's a soundtrack album, meant (it appears), to accompany a film. I'm not looking at it as a "new album/new music" aspect, I'm seeing it for what it appears to be, a movie soundtrack album, nothing more. Something fun for the Halloween season.

All the negativity is somewhat sad. Branca did say there wouldn't be new music released for awhile (I think they're waiting for 2019, the 10 year anniversary of his passing).

As fans, especially as fans of this community, can't we at lease try to show a little support?

Said with L.O.V.E.

angry pandies

An example of some of you (old and newer) when you don't get what you think you deserve

:mj2:

The white panda has spoken (y):heart:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

HIStoric, I can't agree more. I'm not saying everybody should like everything the estate does. But there's lots of totally unnecessary whining out there. We've seen lots of great posthumous releases actually. This is something for casual fans.. okay, might've been nice to put a rare song or rare version of a song on the compilation but since hardcore fans are not the target, I'm satisfied nevertheless. PLUS, we still don't know about Thriller 3D and the halloween movie. They could both be great, so let's wait and see. :)

I'm quite excited. I like the artwork, I like the themed compilation and the glow in the dark vinyl, I'm excited about the two films and the fan events sound nice as well.
Given that we didn't know anything at all about this some days ago, it's a pretty nice surprise. ;) (y)

HIStoric, I can't agree more. I'm not saying everybody should like everything the estate does. But there's lots of totally unnecessary whining out there. We've seen lots of great posthumous releases actually. This is something for casual fans.. okay, might've been nice to put a rare song or rare version of a song on the compilation but since hardcore fans are not the target, I'm satisfied nevertheless. PLUS, we still don't know about Thriller 3D and the halloween movie. They could both be great, so let's wait and see. :)

I'm quite excited. I like the artwork, I like the themed compilation and the glow in the dark vinyl, I'm excited about the two films and the fan events sound nice as well.
Given that we didn't know anything at all about this some days ago, it's pretty nice. ;) (y)

Absolutely! I'll be straight up and say I'm not buying this album, at all. Not even considering it. Literally all I'll do is save the new remix into my library on Apple Music, but that's it. I'll probably forget this is coming out the day it does get released! But frankly if it gets some new fans into Michael Jackson, which I think it will in combination with the Halloween film, then I am happy and it's done it's job. :)

The mashup sounds SO good.
I love it!
The album artwork is amazing too.
This album will further solidify Michael's place as the King of Halloween.

But I am surprised that Smooth Criminal isn't on there, and the Stranger things version of Thriller would have been great but I don't think that was even a full song to begin with.

I'm also so happy that threatened is on there.
Hopefully that means it's going to be part of the Halloween special.
I freaking love Threatened.

Not going to buy the album tho.
#TeamStream LOL.

HIStoric's post above mine hits the nail right on the head. Facebook comments and Twitter responses are insufferable in this regard.

Another compilation album is certainly unnecessary given the massive buildup we already have (as you said), but to throw a tantrum and dismiss the entire project as "useless" and "a failure" because of it? That's just childish. I don't expect anyone to feign excitement or spend money toward a project they don't care for, because I can completely relate to and understand the disappointment behind it -- I'm quite let down myself. But in the grand scheme of things, this truly is not a big deal, and to lash out as if this is a Michael-level disaster just feels rather petty.

The whole "take into account their track record" argument is also quite played out as well. Just because they've made some irrevocably-stupid missteps in the past doesn't mean that every project is headed down that road, nor should they be given equal treatment.

I dunno. I just think the entire fan base needs to take a breather.

All I'm saying is.... No Dangerous 25, and sticking with this project: No "Is It Scary" on the album, and they aren't releasing ghosts/making thriller on blu ray to accompany (which would make sense and be an attractive selling point)

I'm not gonna dismiss the whole thing, the megamix is cool, it doesn't "ruin his legacy" but to me and many others the Estate likes to put out disappointing projects. Eg. Off The Wall. And the circumstances around MJ's will, his death, selling the catalogue for less than it's worth, MJ previously firing John Branca, putting out fake tracks....... There's distrust there. But yes people need to be balanced and not hysterical.

If "hardcore fans" are not the intended target audience, fine. But new/casual fans aren't gonna buy CDs and Vinyl....

Um "Is It Scary" is in the bonus track lol. Just putting that out there.

I hope there will be one new song..at least :listeningtomusic

Absolutely! I'll be straight up and say I'm not buying this album, at all. Not even considering it. Literally all I'll do is save the new remix into my library on Apple Music, but that's it. I'll probably forget this is coming out the day it does get released! But frankly if it gets some new fans into Michael Jackson, which I think it will in combination with the Halloween film, then I am happy and it's done it's job. :)

Exactly. Why its so hard for some fans to get this i dont know.dont they want new people to get intrested in mj and to continue his legacy. Or are they so obsessed with bashing branca and the "estate" that they cant see the wood for the trees.

This is a complete bs.

All I'm saying is.... No Dangerous 25, and sticking with this project: No "Is It Scary" on the album, and they aren't releasing ghosts/making thriller on blu ray to accompany (which would make sense and be an attractive selling point)
I'm not gonna dismiss the whole thing, the megamix is cool, it doesn't "ruin his legacy" but to me and many others the Estate likes to put out disappointing projects. Eg. Off The Wall. And the circumstances around MJ's will, his death, selling the catalogue for less than it's worth, MJ previously firing John Branca, putting out fake tracks....... There's distrust there. But yes people need to be balanced and not hysterical.

If "hardcore fans" are not the intended target audience, fine. But new/casual fans aren't gonna buy CDs and Vinyl....

In response to...

Dangerous 25: I get the disappointment, but there comes a time when you have to move on. If they didn't stop at Dangerous 25, then people would be doing the same criticising when we didn't get HIStory 25, or BOTDF 25. Inevitable, unless they did anniversary editions for each album.

Is It Scary: Fair criticism, someone here was wondering if it's because it's not as danceable. I think the chorus is danceable, but I get their point for the rest of it. Makes a good party album though!

Ghosts/Making Thriller Blu-ray: We don't actually know that. Right now they're focusing on Thriller/Making of Thriller in cinema, a home release isn't unforeseeable. It's also possible they might release Ghosts. After all, the songs features on Scream and they've announced that they're showing it in some theatres worldwide as part of the celebration (read the press release). Fingers crossed!

Circumstance around selling the catalogue: The Estate were essentially forced to as Sony executed the shotgun clause in the contract (which Michael agreed to in 2006). Put simple, either the Estate had to come up with $750,000,000 and buy Sony's half of the catalogue, or they had to sell their half of the catalogue to Sony for $750,000,000. No other way out and $750 million isn't exactly spare change. While it is unfortunate they had to sell it, it was the best decision given the circumstance I think. If anything, it just means they're entirely out of debt for good.

People need to be balanced and not hysterical: Agree.

New/casual fans aren't gonna buy CDs and vinyl: Disagree. I myself have purchased CDs by artists I'm only a casual fan of in the last few years. I've fully switched to streaming now, but I don't even think album sales numbers matter anymore. It's about streaming numbers now tbh, especially if we're looking at the younger audience. I don't think the Estate are expecting this to sell like Xscape did either (which wasn't the greatest either despite being marketed towards both casuals and hardcore fans, only a million or two IIRC).

Last edited:

I'm also so happy that threatened is on there.
Hopefully that means it's going to be part of the Halloween special.
I freaking love Threatened.

Me too!!! Threatened is one of the most creative songs Michael produced in the last 15-20 years of his life! The more exposure it gets, the better :D

I get the feeling this is a project Michael would have "entertained" but executed far better.

I can't believe they chose Dirty Diana over Is It Scary, IN A HALLOWEEN ALBUM

Sure, if you know all the song names which a newcomer wouldn't.

No. The Estate create a Spotify playlist/album and put it on there. So when a 'lazy newcomer' finishes watching the show they just search Spotify and there they all are.

This is nothing but an iTunes playlist. They put zero effort into this. They could have used outtakes, different versions, demos, some unreleased songs, etc.

Anybody who buys this -- if they already have all the songs, which we all do -- is wasting their money and encouraging the Estate to keep churning out pointless product.

No. The Estate create a Spotify playlist/album and put it on there. So when a 'lazy newcomer' finishes watching the show they just search Spotify and there they all are.

Oh true, that's a good point. Ah well either way! :)

I love how in one breath people say they hope this puts Michael back up the charts and in the spotlight then in the same sentence say they are not buying it loool - If the fans don't buy it then we cannot preach about bad album sales. My opinion of course.

I am really stumped as to way Dirty Diana is on this album and Is It Scary isnt. Cant get my head around that. I cant see why Dirty Diana is on the album at all more to the point.

Vinyl looks cool - I will be both but i am slightly dissapointed they are original/album versions - Threatened, Ghosts i am happy with as they never really got the attention they deserved but Torture, Thriller, Place Hotel should have been jazzed up. I dont need Thriller on CD again lol

New mashup/remix is available on streaming services! I just downloaded it on Apple Music.

I love how in one breath people say they hope this puts Michael back up the charts and in the spotlight then in the same sentence say they are not buying it loool

I might be mistaken, but is that referring to what I said below...

I'll be straight up and say I'm not buying this album, at all. Not even considering it... ...But frankly if it gets some new fans into Michael Jackson, which I think it will in combination with the Halloween film, then I am happy and it's done it's job. :)

Because if so, I never said it'd go back up the charts (at least, high up or 'to the top' like such wording implies). I just said 'some new fans' haha.

Wow this tracklist is a SHAME. Seriously, who is gonna buy this ?

HIStoric;4205564 said:
OFFICIAL SCREAM TRACKLISTING:
1. This Place Hotel
2. Thriller
3. Blood On The Dance Floor
4. Somebody’s Watching Me
5. Dirty Diana
6. Torture
7. Leave Me Alone
8. Scream
9. Dangerous
10. Unbreakable
11. Xscape
12. Threatened
13. Ghosts
Bonus Track: Blood On The Dance Floor X Dangerous (The White Panda Mash-Up)

Where is "Is It Scary"? And why are "Dirty Diana", "Leave Me Alone", "Unbreakable" and "Xscape" on here?

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about the album and I can't wait to buy a copy. But why is "Is It Scary" missing and why are those four particular songs ("Dirty Diana", "Leave Me Alone", "Unbreakable" and "Xscape") on here when they could have included "Is It Scary", "Little Susie" and even "Smooth Criminal" and "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" (which, based on their names and lyrics, can technically be counted as horror-based songs) instead?

Back