Michael Jackson Vs. Prince: An Oral History

I dont know how long it'll be before I get to them... currently brainwashed by Diamonds & Pearls!!!!

I've heard about these bootleg albums. Looks like Prince fans have been spoiled compared to MJ fans. Glad Im only beginning.

There are full unreleased albums out there like The Flesh, Crystal Ball and Dream Factory (both early incarnations of Sign o' The Times), and the I'd Do Anything soundtrack (that starred Nick Nolte)

All the unreleased stuff, it'll take you awhile just to get through it

Am I the only one who cringes every time will tries to imitate (but fails miserably) Michael's voice? Chris Tucker has done it too and I don't mind cuz he's funny but will always comes across as annoying to me. And also regarding the story, I think he's bullshitting because MJ and Prince weren't best friends but they got along.

Do you believe him Prince played the bass on Mike's face?

Interestingly I have just got off another forum board based around my hobby Philately (Stamp collecting) and they are repeating all the TMZ rubbish about his being addicted to cocaine and opium for 10 years. Needless to say I told them not to believe and repeat TMZ rubbish. I also told them about how TMZ sources are banned here. Hopefully they will get the message.

TMZ badgered MJH's death with lies and half truths and now they are pulling the same bullpaki with Prince (Bullpaki, = Maori curse word)

I just ordered 1999, Purple Rain and Sign O The Times on Amazon.

Interestingly I have just got off another forum board based around my hobby Philately (Stamp collecting) and they are repeating all the TMZ rubbish about his being addicted to cocaine and opium for 10 years. Needless to say I told them not to believe and repeat TMZ rubbish. I also told them about how TMZ sources are banned here. Hopefully they will get the message.

TMZ badgered MJH's death with lies and half truths and now they are pulling the same bullpaki with Prince (Bullpaki, = Maori curse word)

Seems that way. Wont be long before we see the stories about "all our stars taken by drugs" and trying to overshadow the artistic output/legacy.

Planning on getting Sign O' The Times, D&P and Purple Rain for the car myself.

Although from what I've heard today, the Black album seems like a banging album for a summer cruise

RIP Prince :(

But it's just sad that when Michael died all of his albums couldn't chart because of some stupid Billboard rule. And now on that same chart Prince has multiple albums charting and peaking at higher positions than they did when they were originally released. For example Number Ones and Essential would all be #1 or Top 5 albums. Now Essential is #53 and Number Ones only #13! Prasies for Prince but fu*k Billboard!

"In the week of Michael Jackson’s death in 2009, all three of the best-selling albums in the U.S. were his: Number Ones, The Essential Michael Jackson, and Thriller."

So Number Ones would be #1 and Essential #2! So once again, fu*k Billboard and their stupid rules!

Planning on getting Sign O' The Times, D&P and Purple Rain for the car myself.

Although from what I've heard today, the Black album seems like a banging album for a summer cruise

Listen to this demo of Something In The Water Does Not Compute that was released on 1999. So groovey!

[youtube]G2pVZM7H3yo[/youtube]

Watching the Sign O The Times film...

The lack of this man on youtube is a CRIME. i knew he was good on stage, but this is just crazy. Its overdubbed to high heaven, but who cares.

Like with the Beatles, Ill be playing catch up for a while!

^Try to get a hold of the double dvd set with his 2 shows at the 2009 Montreux Jazz Festival, especially the late show. One of the purest and more recent displays of his amazing musicianship.

Watching the Sign O The Times film...

The lack of this man on youtube is a CRIME. i knew he was good on stage, but this is just crazy. Its overdubbed to high heaven, but who cares.

Like with the Beatles, Ill be playing catch up for a while!

I read on Prince.org it is more a re-creation of a concert movie than a real concert movie. The plan was to do a concert movie in Europe but most of the material was unusable due to technical reasons so they recreated the whole show under artificial circumstances on a Sound stage and they also re-recorded the vocals in a studio. Here is the relevant conversation if you are interested: http://prince.org/msg/7/118336

Last edited:
Master P Calls Out Phony Prince Fans

Master-P_04-26-2016.jpg

Following Prince's death, Master P addresses phony fans.

Master P isn't here for fake Prince fans. Following the untimely death of the music legend,TMZ caught up with the No Limit Records founder to get his thoughts on Prince's passing.

According to Master P, who recently released a Prince tribute record with the No Limit Boys, it took Prince's death for some people to recognize "how great" the musician was.

"Prince the man," Master P said. "Definitely sad to see him go so soon. Like I said on the record, a lot of people--I'mma just keep it 100. A lot of people called Prince, 'weirdo' and all that other stuff. Even though he's one of the greatest entertainers in the world. But it took him to die for everybody to talk about how great he is."

Master P later clarified that his comments weren't geared towards all fans, just those who aren't genuine. He also used the late Michael Jackson as an example of an artist who was ridiculed while living and praised following his death.

"I think there's a lot of genuine stuff, but I also think people--once somebody gone...It's like Michael Jackson," he said. "You talk about how great he was. Prince probably up there playing music with Michael Jackson right now. But a lot of people don't keep it real and say the truth. A lot of them will say stuff like--They'll say all the bad stuff about you. And make up all kinds of rumors when you alive...He was different. Being different, that's what most geniuses are."

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.38520/title.master-p-calls-out-phony-prince-fans

I read on Prince.org it is more a re-creation of a concert movie than a real concert movie. The plan was to do a concert movie in Europe but most of the material was unusable due to technical reasons so they recreated the whole show under artificial circumstances on a Sound stage and they also re-recorded the vocals in a studio. Here is the relevant conversation if you are interested: http://prince.org/msg/7/118336

Ah ok thanks Respect that explains some questionable audience shots then- looked very tailored. Doesnt change the fact its absolutely amazing though. All the songs sounded better, even though Sign is my 2nd favourite album.

Looks like Master P is just venting. I felt the same about a lot of people who were "gutted" MJ died but loved the odd joke about his appearance or trial.

But sometimes it does take a death for something to trigger. Im guilty of that with Prince. Purple and Sign have always been 2 of my favourite albums, but I never dug deeper.

MJWATER;4146542 said:
But Prince was very talented

CYNTHIA HORNER: The first time I encountered Prince was in 1978. He kept calling me over and over again and I really wasn’t returning his phone calls because I didn’t know who he was and I really didn’t care. But he called me so much that I just wanted to get rid of him, so I agreed to meet with him down the street from my office, which was in Hollywood near the recording studio he was at. He wanted me to go to the studio to see a jam session. But what I didn’t realize at the time was that the jam session consisted of just one person: Prince! He played all of these different instruments. Prince was trying to prove to me that he was worthy of coverage and that he was more talented than probably a majority of the people who was appearing in [Right On!]. At that moment, Prince let me know that he was a songwriter that could produce, sing, and play all these different instruments. This was an once-in-a-lifetime talent. Once I saw that, I agreed to interview him.
That sound like Cynthia Horner. She is on of the nastiest people I have ever talked to. I stopped reading "write on" magazine after speaking to her.

A thought has just come over me...

My bones quiver at the thought of some person designing an MJ/Prince "Supershow" with "holograms".

I'm feeling good today, so for work I have made a 20 track MJ v Prince setlist.

Today is a good day in the office :)

I'm feeling good today, so for work I have made a 20 track MJ v Prince setlist.

Today is a good day in the office :)

I have such a playlist with 98 tracks. :p

I used to have one on Spotify as well before Prince pulled all his music from there. :(

I have such a playlist with 96 tracks. :p

I used to have one on Spotify as well before Prince pulled all his music from there. :(

You can add Prince to Spotify if you have the MP3s on your computer, see here!

In fact, if you have Premium and you add those MP3s to a playlist, it actually uploads the mp3 to Spotify for you so you can listen to them on any of your devices. I was driving in my car earlier listening to a Spotify playlist and 2 Prince songs came on in the meantime :D

You can add Prince to Spotify if you have the MP3s on your computer, see here!

In fact, if you have Premium and you add those MP3s to a playlist, it actually uploads the mp3 to Spotify for you so you can listen to them on any of your devices. I was driving in my car earlier listening to a Spotify playlist and 2 Prince songs came on in the meantime :D

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have Premium now.

There are two Prince songs remaining on Spotify. Stare and A Case of You - which is a cover of a Joni Mitchell song. All others are pulled as far as I know. For a long time they forgot to pull Raspberry Beret though (one of my fave Prince songs) :p , but it is gone by now too.

I'm not quite there yet, but I will be someday!

Non stop "hits" this morning for me and my co-worker. He could very well be lying and being polite saying he likes both. Do I Care? I most certainly do not!

He's going to SCHOOL today.

Can we see it, please?

Sure: nothing out of the ordinary really

The Way You Make Me Feel
Raspberry Beret
Don't STop Til You Get Enough
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Wanna Be Startin Something
Let's Go Crazy
Remember The Time
Gett Off
Blood on the Dance Floor
U Got The Look
In The Closet
Cream
Leave Me Alone
Hot Thing
Billie Jean
When Doves Cry
Workin' Day & Night
Another Part of Me
Baby I'm A Star

The random generator on my Winamp must be an MJ fan because when I put the playlist on random it plays MJ's songs a LOT more often than Prince's. LOL. (It's a half-half playlist in terms of amount of songs by both artists so that's not the problem.)

Nice playlist.

I can see why you paired most songs together, but not so much with BOTD and U Got The Look. What was your thinking with that one?

My favourite songs by both that I wanted to throw together in the middle to mix things up completely.

Glad you noticed I had a thing going on!

Back