Michael Jackson Vs. Prince: An Oral History

It's interesting how the press and various people are bringing back the myth that Michael and Prince hated each other when so much speaks on the contrary

It's interesting how the press and various people are bringing back the myth that Michael and Prince hated each other when so much speaks on the contrary

Some of the stuff Prince said about MJ makes me side eye him, but I highly doubt they hated each other (at least MJ didn't hate Prince).
What I am sure of though is that a lot of people are using Prince's death to belittle and talk trash about MJ instead of mourning and appreciating Prince, which is what should be happening.

Both huge stars. But the massive chart slaying when MJ died, compared to now with Prince (although impressive in itself), shows just what a one-off mega star MJ was. I'm sure even Prince recognised that.

Rest in peace, Prince.

These song lists sound like my Ipod whenever I have it on shuffle. This is the last 10 songs

Bad
Cream
Whatever Happens
Dangerous
Black Sweat
Wonderful Ass (Prince unreleased track)
Xscape
Dirty Diana
My name is Prince
Get on the floor

Those 10 songs are enough of a contrast and for a show down!

These song lists sound like my Ipod whenever I have it on shuffle. This is the last 10 songs

Bad
Cream
Whatever Happens
Dangerous
Black Sweat
Wonderful Ass (Prince unreleased track)
Xscape
Dirty Diana
My name is Prince
Get on the floor

Those 10 songs are enough of a contrast and for a show down!
Hey, do you have the acoustic unreleased demo version of Wouldn't you love to love me? I have been looking everywhere for that

12y2rh.jpg

After doing some reading/research I'm 99.9% sure that any rivalry that existed between Prince and MJ was just Prince being jealous and petty.
Everything I read is pretty much just Prince taking uncalled for shots at MJ because he was jealous of MJ's level of success.

Some of the things that Prince said about MJ were very offensive too.
Especially for MJ to not have done anything to him.

TLDR: the Prince VS MJ rivalry was actually the Prince vs his own inferiority complex rivalry.

This isn't me being mean or trying to throw shade, this is just what I've deduced from everything I've read. :yes:

Last edited:
After doing some reading/research I'm 99.9% sure that any rivalry that existed between Prince and MJ was just Prince being jealous and petty.
Everything I read is pretty much just Prince taking uncalled for shots at MJ because he was jealous of MJ's level of success.

Some of the things that Prince said about MJ were very offensive too.
Especially for MJ to not have done anything to him.

TLDR: the Prince VS MJ rivalry was actually the Prince vs his own inferiority complex rivalry.

This isn't me being mean or trying to throw shade, this is just what I've deduced from everything I've read. :yes:

And the good thing is that you're obviously not biased or anything.

Thank God for MJ, Prince & Madonna.

All born in the same year and all revolutonised pop music.

Michael Bland, drummer in the original NPG, in a Rolling Stone piece about Prince in the 90s:

Bland: He was really into the Pretenders at some point. He talked about how much he liked Chrissie Hynde and the songwriting. He played me some of the first Sly Stone records I ever heard. That was an education I couldn't have received anywhere else. We held meetings, and we would watch random videos people would send. Michael Jackson loved sending Prince old footage of Sly. Prince would just stop everything and bring everybody to his office. One time we watched the Jackson 5 Goin' Back to Indiana special.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prince-in-the-nineties-an-oral-history-20160505#ixzz47sOZVewo
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I Bought ''The Very Best Of Prince'' album. I know, I should look past the singles, and try to discover the more hidden gems, but the amount of albums Prince has is a little overwhelming. And I think all his songs would take up a good chunk of my iPod

I Bought ''The Very Best Of Prince'' album. I know, I should look past the singles, and try to discover the more hidden gems, but the amount of albums Prince has is a little overwhelming. And I think all his songs would take up a good chunk of my iPod

I dove in man.... Its worth it! He has taken up a lot of my iPod (not all albums went on) but some 90s albums are brilliant, like The Love Symbol, Gold Experience, Emancipation. Im really enjoying listening to stuff Id never heard before.

There is some filler but I take back what I said about Prince before. Theres a lot more quality than I had thought.

To be 100% honest it is my personal belief that the media picked up on the 'MJ VS Prince'.. The two pretty boy black pop stars..

b89dd8c130b44fc9db8120056194fa79.jpg

They both would have HAD to have felt the effects of that.. I believe what it did for Michael was put this thought in his head to play on it.. ie. make a duet for them 'BAD'.. Where as Prince I believe had more of a low key 'VS' mentality which after Prince rejecting being on Bad - Michael figured that Prince does not like him because of the "MJ vs. Prince" and saw Michael as competition. ie. when he mentioned to Will.i.am that they're at odds.. I think Michael believed that over the years that Prince saw MJ as pure competition, even if that was not the case for Prince..

I do believe they had more respect for each other than we relies but the media pinned them against each other and Prince (my belief) fed into it and MJ fed into Prince reacting to it... keeping them apart.

Prince was to join in We Are The World and Michael hoped BAD as well - after those two I think Michael took that as that sign.

After hearing a few of his songs, I must say that Prince is awesome. Makes me sad that it's only now I've started paying real attention to him. I feel like such a bandwagon jumper

To be 100% honest it is my personal belief that the media picked up on the 'MJ VS Prince'.. The two pretty boy black pop stars..

b89dd8c130b44fc9db8120056194fa79.jpg

They both would have HAD to have felt the effects of that.. I believe what it did for Michael was put this thought in his head to play on it.. ie. make a duet for them 'BAD'.. Where as Prince I believe had more of a low key 'VS' mentality which after Prince rejecting being on Bad - Michael figured that Prince does not like him because of the "MJ vs. Prince" and saw Michael as competition. ie. when he mentioned to Will.i.am that they're at odds.. I think Michael believed that over the years that Prince saw MJ as pure competition, even if that was not the case for Prince..

I do believe they had more respect for each other than we relies but the media pinned them against each other and Prince (my belief) fed into it and MJ fed into Prince reacting to it... keeping them apart.

Prince was to join in We Are The World and Michael hoped BAD as well - after those two I think Michael took that as that sign.
I don't know, Prince apparently also said that he and Michael talked about the difficulty of mixing religion with fame. Personally I don't think there is any information to suggest they were friends, but it seems like they talked and/or met up at least a few times. The rivalry thing has always seemed massively overblown to me. What does seem clear is that they respected each other. MJ was still saying in 2009 that he had to be ready to 'receive' ideas at any time of the day because God would give the idea to Prince otherwise.

Some great picks there, innuendo.

Emancipation is epic. Always thought of it as Prince's HIStory in many respects.

Have you checked out the Batman soundtrack yet? That's one of my favourites.

Yeah! That was one of the albums I knew from before he died man. Unreal. I've known Trust and Partyman from being a kid from the film. Lemon Crush is brill.

Definitely saw Emancipation as his HIStory. It's quite sad now. I don't know what album to move onto next. Im really digging Art Official Age atm also, some great tunes. Any recommendations? I have them all (I think).

Oh man i LOVE that album! The songs u mentioned. I love you is absolutely amazing, and Rave is one of my favourite songs. The greatest romance is brilliant too and sun moon and stars. Cant believe i forgot to mention that earlier. Such a good album. Would loveto hear the version of Rave that was made for Batman

I don't know why people call MJ Jehovah's Witness if he disassociated from them when he was 30. They were restricting his artistry on how he should have behaved and MJ like it. He never stopped being a believer though.

If you go back and reread the quote it clearly refers to him as a Jehovah's Witness in the past tense. It's a cheap shot to claim the religious sect restricted his artistry. It doesn't "restrict" any other JW artist. Prince didn't feel stymied by it and neither does George Benson, Larry Graham (to name a few.) I get that you're anti religion, but you're confusing your bias with facts.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

SheilaMJFan4Ever;4149386 said:
If you go back and reread the quote it clearly refers to him as a Jehovah's Witness in the past tense. It's a cheap shot to claim the religious sect restricted his artistry. It doesn't "restrict" any other JW artist. Prince didn't feel stymied by it and neither does George Benson, Larry Graham (to name a few.) I get that you're anti religion, but you're confusing your bias with facts.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Exactly!!! But, Witnesses are not a “sect,” though. With that being said, Michael Jackson made his own private, personal decision as to what he wanted to do, mainly because of the issues involving the “Thriller” video. Nobodytookanything from him.

When one reads the Bible, then gains knowledge of it and really studies it, that person’s whole life changes, and one has to stop doing a lot of what he or she used to do before that time and work to conform his/her life towards what God wants. Yes, Sheila, people can change their lives around, for the better. Even if it affects their employment, and how they do whatever jobs they do. What they gain is far better than what they gave up, and more importantly, others are helped as well, in turn, to change their lives.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This isn't a Prince vs. Michael story-it's a great appreciation of Prince, Michael AND Madonna. Reading the last few sentences, I'm certain it was written in response to the nasty comments from the Billboard Awards-which I think is more an ageism thing. Sad to me.

<header class="entry__header" data-beacon="{&quot;p&quot;:{&quot;mnid&quot;:&quot;headline&quot;}}" style="box-sizing: inherit; padding: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;">Once in a Lifetime: Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince

05/24/2016 11:26 am ET | Updated 13 hours ag

• [*=center]
<iframe name="f1fd4e8c2e81398" width="1000px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="https://www.facebook.com/v2.4/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter.php%3Fversion%3D42%23cb%3Df2c94212dfa5a6c%26domain%3Dwww.huffingtonpost.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%252Ff285914cb67232c%26relation%3Dparent.parent&color_scheme=light&container_width=0&font=trebuchet%20ms&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2Fmable-ivory%2Fonce-in-a-lifetime-michae_b_10109288.html&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&send=false&show_faces=false" class="" style="box-sizing: inherit; position: absolute; z-index: 50000; border-style: none; border-width: initial; visibility: visible; width: 79px; height: 20px;"></iframe>

• [*=left]
    Mable IvorySocial entrepreneur, Marketing Maven, Real Estate Matchmaker, Writer, and Global Humanitarian.

</header><center style="box-sizing: inherit; font-family: NotoNashkArabic, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium;">

</center>In the Beginning...

The waters flowing through the Great Lakes region were magical in the spring and summer of 1958, as the births of Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson all occurred within a mere two months of each other. Prince Rogers Nelson was born June 7 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, followed by Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone on August 16 in Detroit, Michigan, and Michael Joseph Jackson nearly two weeks later on August 29 in Gary, Indiana. Each of these musical innovators would become household names, putting their stamp on pop culture in their own, unique ways. While these artists’ styles and work have been compared and contrasted for decades, what’s often overlooked is the impact their formative years had on their young, developing minds, and ultimately their sense of self and worldview.

The precocious trifecta of future megastars grew up in devoutly religious households: Madonna’s family was Roman Catholic; the Jacksons were members of the Jehovah’s Witness faith; and Prince was raised as a Seventh-day Adventist. A foundational religious discipline would easily lend itself to the establishment of a strict and rigorous work ethic later in life. Each of these rising talents would have a pivotal childhood heartbreak, which forced them to grow up quickly and discover creative ways to cope with emotional trauma. At the age of 5, Madonna would lose her mother to breast cancer, never to regain the unconditional love and bond of a maternal figure. And at the age of 6, Michael Jackson would become the lead singer of the Jackson 5, forcing him out of the playground into the working world of show business. Prince’s parents would separate and divorce before he was 10 years old, leaving his family broken and home life scattered.

All three entertainers had strained relationships with their fathers, which would inspire some of their future work: In Prince’s movie, Purple Rain, we see his character grappling with a critical and abusive father and in Madonna’s autobiographical single “Oh Father,” she laments: “You can’t hurt me now, I got away from you, I never thought I would.”

Baby I’m a Star!

Budding stardom was recognized early on for these recording artists.

Michael Jackson stepped into entertainment at the age when most kids are making milestones in kindergarten. Led by his father/manager, Michael grew up on the road, in the studio and on the stage. “I am most comfortable on stage than any other place in the world,” he shared in a 1980 interview on the TV program 20/20. Michael recorded his first album with the Jackson 5, Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5, at the age of 11. Being a part of the Motown family at an impressionable age allowed Michael to learn from some of the greats — backstage at the Apollo watching legendary James Brown and Jackie Wilson captivate audiences with their soulful singing and breathtaking choreography, and in the studio quizzing producers on how the recording process works. By the age of 20, Michael would produce 15 more studio albums with the Jackson 5, and later the Jacksons, developing and perfecting his vocal style, dance skills and songwriting abilities, before the release of his smash hit, solo album debut, Off the Wall, at the age of 21.

Prince taught himself to play the piano at age 7, the guitar at age 13, and the drums at age 14. And at 14 years old, Prince began performing throughout Minneapolis with a local band called Grand Central. Three years later, Prince would have a masterful dexterity of 27 musical instruments and create his first demo tape of songs that he wrote, produced, performed and arranged himself. This demo would lay the foundation for Prince’s debut album, For You, released two months before his 20th birthday.

Madonna began studying dance at age 14. She was a stellar student, graduated high school, and continued her dance education at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor in 1976. After two years, Madonna moved to the Big Apple, where she studied for a short time with the Alvin Ailey dance troupe and worked as a professional dancer for two years. Madonna added singing to her artistic mix, and began performing as a singer and backup dancer. “I studied very hard on learning how to play guitar, and piano, and drums, everything, and then I started writing music, and I got my own band together, made a demo tape, took it around to the record companies and got my record deal,” said Madonna in a 1983 radio interview with Paris DJ Stephen. Madonna released two disco club hit singles, “Everybody” and “Burning Up/Physical Attraction” before getting a recording contract to produce a full album. Five years after leaving Michigan for New York City, Madonna’s self-titled debut album was released in July1983. She was 24 years old.

For all three rising solo artists from the Midwest, with their follow-up albums, they would skyrocket to global fame, define ‘80s pop culture, dominate the MTV music video landscape with their groundbreaking, uniquely stylized fusion of video storytelling through song and dance, break world records, color barriers and forever influence pop artists for generations to come.

With Michael Jackson’s sophomore solo album, Thriller, he would enter the Guinness Book of World Records for the Greatest Selling Album of All Time (over 65 million copies sold). Michael would continue to break world records, receiving an additional 30 Guinness World Records, including Most Successful Entertainer of All Time. Madonna would receive the Guinness World Record for the Greatest Selling Female Recording Artist of All Time. Prince would be the only one of the three to receive an Oscar for Best Original Song Score for “Purple Rain.” Prince would tie the record for 12 consecutive years with a Top 10 pop single on the Billboard 100 charts in the U.S. Globally, Prince has sold over 150 million albums, Madonna over 300 million and Michael over 750 million.

Working Day and Night

The artistic and creative gifts of Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince are innate in their DNA: Michael’s mother, Katherine, was a singer and pianist and his father, Joseph, was a guitarist with his own band, The Falcons, before he began to focus full throttle on developing the talent of his sons. Prince’s mother, Mattie, was a jazz singer and his father, John, was a jazz pianist and songwriter with his own group, The Prince Rogers Nelson Trio. “Prince Rogers Nelson” was a stage name for John Nelson. Prince’s late father said that he had named his son Prince because he wanted the artist to be a musician, like him. And, Madonna’s mother, Madonna Louise Ciccone, was formerly a dancer.

However, the epic success of all three icons would have been impossible without a relentless work ethic and a drive for excellence. “Study the greats, and become greater!” was one of Michael’s many mantras. R&B was an influence for these artists. Both Michael and Prince said that James Brown was one of their inspirations and exemplars — from the command of his band, his trademark original sound, and legendary choreography. And Hitsville U.S.A. struck a major chord with the Material Girl. “Motown is a really big influence with me ‘cause I grew up in Detroit, and I listened to all those old, Motown groups,” said Madonna in a 1983 interview with DJ Stephen on Radio Show.

NBA great Kobe Bryant discussed Michael Jackson’s work ethic in a 2016 Jimmy Kimmel Live interview: “He showed me how he composed songs, how he structured them, how he trained, who inspired him...He walked me step by step through things that he learned from [his influences] and how it made him a better entertainer. How he studied the Beatles, how he broke down every single note and felt like there was a certain emotional connection with each chord. It was just fascinating stuff. I thought I was working hard until I met him.”

In a 2016 ew.com interview, hit-making producer Jimmy Jam shared the following about Prince’s work ethic: “... He out-talented everyone by so much. In sports, it’d be like Michael Jordan. He walks into the gym and he’s the most talented player; that’s how Prince was. He walked in and he was more talented than everybody...He’d come to rehearsal, work with us, go work with his band, then he’d go to his studio all night and record. The next night he’d come to rehearsal with a tape in his hand and he’d say, ‘This is what I did last night!’ and it’d be something like ‘1999.’”

And celeb trainer Nicole Winhoffer told eoline.com in 2014: “Madonna stands as an icon. Her body, work ethic, and persistence is an inspiration to the people.”

Express Yourself

“It’s my own style. Unique and original. You won’t see it anywhere else.”
—Madonna, Paris interview with DJ Stephen on Radio Show (1983)

“I strive for originality in my work. And, hopefully it will be perceived that way.”
—Prince, first television interview on MTV (1985)

“My attitude is if fashion says it’s forbidden, I’m going to do it. In many ways an artist is his work, it’s difficult to separate the two. I think I can be brutally objective about my work as I create it, and if something doesn’t work, I can feel it, but when I turn in a finished album - or song - you can be sure that I’ve given it every ounce of energy and God-given talent that I have.”
—Michael Jackson, the autobiography, Moonwalk (1988)

The greatest gift that Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson have given to the world is their unique, artistic voice. Their collective ability to masterfully blend music, dance, live performance, music videos, film and fashion to create artistic expressions that resonated across generations and countries is unparalleled. Their influence on our culture is multi-dimensional, transformative and everlasting. The world before Madonna, Prince and Michael was one in which we’d watch artists sing and perform, and we might sing along to their music. When Madonna, Prince and Michael each had their meteoric rise in the ‘80s — and declared they were originals, were going to push boundaries, yet also perform with a level of creativity and innovation never before seen — they created a deeper level of engagement with their audience and the public. In addition to singing their songs, we began to emulate their dance moves and sartorial tastes. Their appeal was contagious, enchanting, universal and international: black, white, young, old, straight or gay, it was a cultural revolution, unlike any other:

* Madonna had young girls around the world wearing rubber bracelets, lots of lace, and big hair bows. Michael Jackson created a new look: a signature red leather jacket with black trim — the Thriller jacket — which sold internationally. And, how can we forget that purple became the most popular color on the planet, when Prince’s movie,Purple Rain, was released.

* Everyone wanted to perform the Moonwalk, seamlessly and flawlessly, just like Michael Jackson. Who didn’t attempt to do a full split and spin, after watching Prince do it in Purple Rain? Madonna introduced a formerly underground dance style performed at house balls for a mostly gay community, vogueing, to the mainstream.

Madonna, Prince and Michael will always be known as trendsetters and tastemakers. Yet, their bodies of work also move people’s spirits and emotions. Emanating from their creative expression are themes of freedom, rebellion, acceptance, inclusion, peace, joy, fun and romance. In their music and videos, they also tackle controversial topics such as race, religion, politics and sexuality.

Most of all, we find Madonna, Prince, and Michael likable and relatable, because we see and embrace their humanity, complexities and eccentricities. All three of them are cultural misfits, who never quite fit in, but somehow rose to the top and stayed there. They are our American heroes, the underdogs from Midwestern, working-class families who succeeded, against all odds. Prince was the short guy from Minneapolis who embraced androgyny and, despite his stature, was larger than life. In reality, Michael Jackson was shy, alone, and kept to himself. On stage, Michael Jackson was a breathtaking force — dynamic and otherworldly. Two distinctly different personas — offstage and onstage — within the same man. Madonna fought disappointment and loss from her youth with rebellion. She pushed her past aside, moved forward, always robustly, with a propensity for head-turning, over-the-top attire and behavior. In the imperfect, there lies perfection.

Gone Too Soon

With the recent loss of Prince, it is hard to imagine that, like Michael Jackson, the new music will be coming from a vault. There will be no more live performances, cameo appearances, philanthropic projects or political statements to be made. That untouchable trifecta of musical titans from the Midwest were all supposed to live forever, if only to continue the soundtrack for an aging Generation X, much like how baby boomers still have the Rolling Stones. While the legacies of Prince and Michael will be timeless, up-and-coming artists will look to them for inspiration; the Purple One and the King of Pop are the ascended masters and reference points. The pain will linger in knowing that the creative environment that allowed these legends to flourish has vanished.

The industry has changed along with the way music is produced. Songs aren’t as rich as they used to be. Instruments have been overpowered by synthesizers, samples and *****. Auto-Tune has replaced raw vocals in the studio. New and emerging artists don’t have the freedom or flexibility to be daring and different. There is a marketing and promotional formula that must be followed — people aren’t even buying music like in previous decades, so budgets have dwindled for things like artist development. What will the next generation of pop artists look like? Will the pipeline to a recording contract be dominated by reality TV competitions? Could a young artist, who can play over two dozen musical instruments even fathom getting a record deal or complete creative control?

We can never deny that in their heyday Prince, Michael and Madonna, now the surviving member of the trifecta, shoved the envelope and set the bar for trend-setting music makers who came after them. Many may not appreciate or comprehend Madonna’s impact today, but that can’t diminish her influence. What’s next for the queen of reinvention? Whatever is on the horizon, like a prayer, she might just take us there.

Follow Mable Ivory on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MableIvory

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mable-ivory/once-in-a-lifetime-michae_b_10109288.html

barbee0715;4150127 said:
This isn't a Prince vs. Michael story-it's a great appreciation of Prince, Michael AND Madonna. Reading the last few sentences, I'm certain it was written in response to the nasty comments from the Billboard Awards-which I think is more an ageism thing. Sad to me.

Once in a Lifetime: Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince

05/24/2016 11:26 am ET | Updated 13 hours ag

• [*=center]

• [*=left]
    Mable IvorySocial entrepreneur, Marketing Maven, Real Estate Matchmaker, Writer, and Global Humanitarian.

In the Beginning...

The waters flowing through the Great Lakes region were magical in the spring and summer of 1958, as the births of Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson all occurred within a mere two months of each other. Prince Rogers Nelson was born June 7 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, followed by Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone on August 16 in Detroit, Michigan, and Michael Joseph Jackson nearly two weeks later on August 29 in Gary, Indiana. Each of these musical innovators would become household names, putting their stamp on pop culture in their own, unique ways. While these artists’ styles and work have been compared and contrasted for decades, what’s often overlooked is the impact their formative years had on their young, developing minds, and ultimately their sense of self and worldview.

The precocious trifecta of future megastars grew up in devoutly religious households: Madonna’s family was Roman Catholic; the Jacksons were members of the Jehovah’s Witness faith; and Prince was raised as a Seventh-day Adventist. A foundational religious discipline would easily lend itself to the establishment of a strict and rigorous work ethic later in life. Each of these rising talents would have a pivotal childhood heartbreak, which forced them to grow up quickly and discover creative ways to cope with emotional trauma. At the age of 5, Madonna would lose her mother to breast cancer, never to regain the unconditional love and bond of a maternal figure. And at the age of 6, Michael Jackson would become the lead singer of the Jackson 5, forcing him out of the playground into the working world of show business. Prince’s parents would separate and divorce before he was 10 years old, leaving his family broken and home life scattered.

All three entertainers had strained relationships with their fathers, which would inspire some of their future work: In Prince’s movie, Purple Rain, we see his character grappling with a critical and abusive father and in Madonna’s autobiographical single “Oh Father,” she laments: “You can’t hurt me now, I got away from you, I never thought I would.”

Baby I’m a Star!

Budding stardom was recognized early on for these recording artists.

Michael Jackson stepped into entertainment at the age when most kids are making milestones in kindergarten. Led by his father/manager, Michael grew up on the road, in the studio and on the stage. “I am most comfortable on stage than any other place in the world,” he shared in a 1980 interview on the TV program 20/20. Michael recorded his first album with the Jackson 5, Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5, at the age of 11. Being a part of the Motown family at an impressionable age allowed Michael to learn from some of the greats — backstage at the Apollo watching legendary James Brown and Jackie Wilson captivate audiences with their soulful singing and breathtaking choreography, and in the studio quizzing producers on how the recording process works. By the age of 20, Michael would produce 15 more studio albums with the Jackson 5, and later the Jacksons, developing and perfecting his vocal style, dance skills and songwriting abilities, before the release of his smash hit, solo album debut, Off the Wall, at the age of 21.

Prince taught himself to play the piano at age 7, the guitar at age 13, and the drums at age 14. And at 14 years old, Prince began performing throughout Minneapolis with a local band called Grand Central. Three years later, Prince would have a masterful dexterity of 27 musical instruments and create his first demo tape of songs that he wrote, produced, performed and arranged himself. This demo would lay the foundation for Prince’s debut album, For You, released two months before his 20th birthday.

Madonna began studying dance at age 14. She was a stellar student, graduated high school, and continued her dance education at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor in 1976. After two years, Madonna moved to the Big Apple, where she studied for a short time with the Alvin Ailey dance troupe and worked as a professional dancer for two years. Madonna added singing to her artistic mix, and began performing as a singer and backup dancer. “I studied very hard on learning how to play guitar, and piano, and drums, everything, and then I started writing music, and I got my own band together, made a demo tape, took it around to the record companies and got my record deal,” said Madonna in a 1983 radio interview with Paris DJ Stephen. Madonna released two disco club hit singles, “Everybody” and “Burning Up/Physical Attraction” before getting a recording contract to produce a full album. Five years after leaving Michigan for New York City, Madonna’s self-titled debut album was released in July1983. She was 24 years old.

For all three rising solo artists from the Midwest, with their follow-up albums, they would skyrocket to global fame, define ‘80s pop culture, dominate the MTV music video landscape with their groundbreaking, uniquely stylized fusion of video storytelling through song and dance, break world records, color barriers and forever influence pop artists for generations to come.

With Michael Jackson’s sophomore solo album, Thriller, he would enter the Guinness Book of World Records for the Greatest Selling Album of All Time (over 65 million copies sold). Michael would continue to break world records, receiving an additional 30 Guinness World Records, including Most Successful Entertainer of All Time. Madonna would receive the Guinness World Record for the Greatest Selling Female Recording Artist of All Time. Prince would be the only one of the three to receive an Oscar for Best Original Song Score for “Purple Rain.” Prince would tie the record for 12 consecutive years with a Top 10 pop single on the Billboard 100 charts in the U.S. Globally, Prince has sold over 150 million albums, Madonna over 300 million and Michael over 750 million.

Working Day and Night

The artistic and creative gifts of Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince are innate in their DNA: Michael’s mother, Katherine, was a singer and pianist and his father, Joseph, was a guitarist with his own band, The Falcons, before he began to focus full throttle on developing the talent of his sons. Prince’s mother, Mattie, was a jazz singer and his father, John, was a jazz pianist and songwriter with his own group, The Prince Rogers Nelson Trio. “Prince Rogers Nelson” was a stage name for John Nelson. Prince’s late father said that he had named his son Prince because he wanted the artist to be a musician, like him. And, Madonna’s mother, Madonna Louise Ciccone, was formerly a dancer.

However, the epic success of all three icons would have been impossible without a relentless work ethic and a drive for excellence. “Study the greats, and become greater!” was one of Michael’s many mantras. R&B was an influence for these artists. Both Michael and Prince said that James Brown was one of their inspirations and exemplars — from the command of his band, his trademark original sound, and legendary choreography. And Hitsville U.S.A. struck a major chord with the Material Girl. “Motown is a really big influence with me ‘cause I grew up in Detroit, and I listened to all those old, Motown groups,” said Madonna in a 1983 interview with DJ Stephen on Radio Show.

NBA great Kobe Bryant discussed Michael Jackson’s work ethic in a 2016 Jimmy Kimmel Live interview: “He showed me how he composed songs, how he structured them, how he trained, who inspired him...He walked me step by step through things that he learned from [his influences] and how it made him a better entertainer. How he studied the Beatles, how he broke down every single note and felt like there was a certain emotional connection with each chord. It was just fascinating stuff. I thought I was working hard until I met him.”

In a 2016 ew.com interview, hit-making producer Jimmy Jam shared the following about Prince’s work ethic: “... He out-talented everyone by so much. In sports, it’d be like Michael Jordan. He walks into the gym and he’s the most talented player; that’s how Prince was. He walked in and he was more talented than everybody...He’d come to rehearsal, work with us, go work with his band, then he’d go to his studio all night and record. The next night he’d come to rehearsal with a tape in his hand and he’d say, ‘This is what I did last night!’ and it’d be something like ‘1999.’”

And celeb trainer Nicole Winhoffer told eoline.com in 2014: “Madonna stands as an icon. Her body, work ethic, and persistence is an inspiration to the people.”

Express Yourself

“It’s my own style. Unique and original. You won’t see it anywhere else.”
—Madonna, Paris interview with DJ Stephen on Radio Show (1983)

“I strive for originality in my work. And, hopefully it will be perceived that way.”
—Prince, first television interview on MTV (1985)

“My attitude is if fashion says it’s forbidden, I’m going to do it. In many ways an artist is his work, it’s difficult to separate the two. I think I can be brutally objective about my work as I create it, and if something doesn’t work, I can feel it, but when I turn in a finished album - or song - you can be sure that I’ve given it every ounce of energy and God-given talent that I have.”
—Michael Jackson, the autobiography, Moonwalk (1988)

The greatest gift that Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson have given to the world is their unique, artistic voice. Their collective ability to masterfully blend music, dance, live performance, music videos, film and fashion to create artistic expressions that resonated across generations and countries is unparalleled. Their influence on our culture is multi-dimensional, transformative and everlasting. The world before Madonna, Prince and Michael was one in which we’d watch artists sing and perform, and we might sing along to their music. When Madonna, Prince and Michael each had their meteoric rise in the ‘80s — and declared they were originals, were going to push boundaries, yet also perform with a level of creativity and innovation never before seen — they created a deeper level of engagement with their audience and the public. In addition to singing their songs, we began to emulate their dance moves and sartorial tastes. Their appeal was contagious, enchanting, universal and international: black, white, young, old, straight or gay, it was a cultural revolution, unlike any other:

* Madonna had young girls around the world wearing rubber bracelets, lots of lace, and big hair bows. Michael Jackson created a new look: a signature red leather jacket with black trim — the Thriller jacket — which sold internationally. And, how can we forget that purple became the most popular color on the planet, when Prince’s movie,Purple Rain, was released.

* Everyone wanted to perform the Moonwalk, seamlessly and flawlessly, just like Michael Jackson. Who didn’t attempt to do a full split and spin, after watching Prince do it in Purple Rain? Madonna introduced a formerly underground dance style performed at house balls for a mostly gay community, vogueing, to the mainstream.

Madonna, Prince and Michael will always be known as trendsetters and tastemakers. Yet, their bodies of work also move people’s spirits and emotions. Emanating from their creative expression are themes of freedom, rebellion, acceptance, inclusion, peace, joy, fun and romance. In their music and videos, they also tackle controversial topics such as race, religion, politics and sexuality.

Most of all, we find Madonna, Prince, and Michael likable and relatable, because we see and embrace their humanity, complexities and eccentricities. All three of them are cultural misfits, who never quite fit in, but somehow rose to the top and stayed there. They are our American heroes, the underdogs from Midwestern, working-class families who succeeded, against all odds. Prince was the short guy from Minneapolis who embraced androgyny and, despite his stature, was larger than life. In reality, Michael Jackson was shy, alone, and kept to himself. On stage, Michael Jackson was a breathtaking force — dynamic and otherworldly. Two distinctly different personas — offstage and onstage — within the same man. Madonna fought disappointment and loss from her youth with rebellion. She pushed her past aside, moved forward, always robustly, with a propensity for head-turning, over-the-top attire and behavior. In the imperfect, there lies perfection.

Gone Too Soon

With the recent loss of Prince, it is hard to imagine that, like Michael Jackson, the new music will be coming from a vault. There will be no more live performances, cameo appearances, philanthropic projects or political statements to be made. That untouchable trifecta of musical titans from the Midwest were all supposed to live forever, if only to continue the soundtrack for an aging Generation X, much like how baby boomers still have the Rolling Stones. While the legacies of Prince and Michael will be timeless, up-and-coming artists will look to them for inspiration; the Purple One and the King of Pop are the ascended masters and reference points. The pain will linger in knowing that the creative environment that allowed these legends to flourish has vanished.

The industry has changed along with the way music is produced. Songs aren’t as rich as they used to be. Instruments have been overpowered by synthesizers, samples and *****. Auto-Tune has replaced raw vocals in the studio. New and emerging artists don’t have the freedom or flexibility to be daring and different. There is a marketing and promotional formula that must be followed — people aren’t even buying music like in previous decades, so budgets have dwindled for things like artist development. What will the next generation of pop artists look like? Will the pipeline to a recording contract be dominated by reality TV competitions? Could a young artist, who can play over two dozen musical instruments even fathom getting a record deal or complete creative control?

We can never deny that in their heyday Prince, Michael and Madonna, now the surviving member of the trifecta, shoved the envelope and set the bar for trend-setting music makers who came after them. Many may not appreciate or comprehend Madonna’s impact today, but that can’t diminish her influence. What’s next for the queen of reinvention? Whatever is on the horizon, like a prayer, she might just take us there.

Follow Mable Ivory on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MableIvory

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mable-ivory/once-in-a-lifetime-michae_b_10109288.html

This is an otherwise really nice, good and positive article —— for the most part —— one that equally considers BOTH Michael Jackson AND Prince as great artists. However, if absolutely NOTHING —— not even one single little thing —— about Madonna whatsoever, were to have ever been mentioned at all, then, this article would have been an even better one than it already is. I DO NOT feel, in ANY way, shape, form or manner, that Madonna is anywhere near the same league as Michael and Prince were. She never was in their league in the &#64257;rst place, and still is not now, nor will she ever be. That’s why she shouldn’t have been included in this article, and her inclusion in its subject matter and content is THE ONLY negative against the author, in this case.

While
Prince and Michael were both well-known and highly respected for their phenomenal TALENT and great MUSIC, &#64257;rst and foremost, Madonna, O.T.O.H., is basically known for doing and saying things —— whether onstage or off (out of the public eye), as that doesn’t matter —— just for the reaction from the public, the controversy and shock value of whatever it is she does or says, mainly to draw attention to herself, and be noticed. Does she even have any real, true, genuine musical talent? In my honest opinion, NO —— no more so than the vast majority of today’s so-called “artists” —— which is, basically, very little to none at all.

I would rather that this author, if she wanted to mention an influential Female performer of the 1980’s, use Whitney Houston as a much, much better example of someone who actually had true, genuine, authentic musical talent and became one of THE
GREATEST vocalists —— whether Male or Female —— of ALL time.

Last edited:
Tavis Smiley on Sway In The Morning - June 27, 2016

In this new interview, Tavis Smiley talks about how Prince spoke about Mike when he passed away at 16:00 - 21:00.

Re: Tavis Smiley on Sway In The Morning - June 27, 2016

In this new interview, Tavis Smiley talks about how Prince spoke about Mike when he passed away at 16:00 - 21:00.

I really want to know what prince said, I hope he shares that one day. But man, comeon Prince you missed out on what would arguably be the greatest showdown of all time between two pop icons because of a line, a line that could easily be altered/removed? Especially since that line was just a figure of speech? Such a travesty.

Re: Tavis Smiley on Sway In The Morning - June 27, 2016

I really want to know what prince said, I hope he shares that one day. But man, comeon Prince you missed out on what would arguably be the greatest showdown of all time between two pop icons because of a line, a line that could easily be altered/removed? Especially since that line was just a figure of speech? Such a travesty.

I'm happy that the MJ/Prince duet never happened for BAD. I would have liked to see them collaborate on another song, but BAD works fine with just MJ. And the BAD album had two duets already (I Just Can't Stop Loving You and Just Good Friends). I think a third duet would have been too much.

Back