Michael Jackson’s Mom To Give $5000 Dance Prize, Needs Celebs, Fans

CherubimII

Proud Member
<header class="article-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 18px;"><time datetime="2015-07-19" pubdate="" style="box-sizing: border-box;">Posted: July 19, 2015</time>
Michael Jackson&#8217;s Mom To Give $5000 Dance Prize, Needs Celebs, Fans

</header>image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content...s-birthday-party-in-Gary-Indiana.-665x385.jpg
Michael-Jackson-impersonators-are-not-the-only-stars-you-will-see-at-his-mothers-birthday-party-in-Gary-Indiana.-665x385.jpg

<section class="entry-content clearfix" itemprop="articleBody" style="box-sizing: border-box; zoom: 1; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 18px; margin: 1em 0px !important;">Michael Jackson will be celebrated in the month of August by his mother Katherine Jackson &#8212; and fans and celebrities are invited.

While she has held a birthday celebration for Michael Jackson each year since his death in their hometown of Gary, Indiana, this year Katherine Jackson needs the help of celebrities or fans for performances &#8212; and to win a $5,000 prize.

As Music Times points out on July 17, some Michael Jackson tributes can be strange &#8212; but this one by his mother is completely different, mainly because it focuses on what was true to Michael Jackson&#8217;s heart: charity.​
In interviews about Michael Jackson, his mother has explained how charity was extremely important to him. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, in an interview with Good Morning America in 2011, Katherine explained that when Michael Jackson was a little boy, all he wanted to do was help the children of the world.
Katherine Jackson said that he was obsessed with helping other little kids in any way possible, and this continued throughout his life. As well as contributing to countless numbers of charities, there was a shrine to children on display in the home where Michael Jackson last lived.
Along with that, Michael Jackson spread the message of helping children to his own children. Since his death, Michael Jackson&#8217;s kids have worked specifically with children in their charity work, and they do it to continue to honor his legacy.
On the anniversary of Michael Jackson&#8217;s death in 2014, the International Business Times quotes Prince Jackson as saying the following about &#8220;working closely with charities that his father supported in his lifetime, to keep his legacy alive.&#8221;
&#8220;He was the best father anybody could have. He raised us the right way and there is nothing anyone can do to make us forget about him. He was always concerned about humanity. He helped many charities. In his songs his message was simple &#8212; love. We will continue to spread his message.&#8221;
Paying homage to the truest dreams of Michael Jackson, his mother organizes an elaborate charity festival each year where kids in need are the stars. Officially called the &#8220;Katherine Jackson Presents: &#8216;I Can&#8217;t Stop Loving You&#8217; Charity Weekend,&#8221; the event is described as an all-ages giveaway and festival for kids in need.
In the past, Michael Jackson fan clubs have described his annual celebration in Gary, Indiana, as taking place outside the home where Michael lived when he was born. The Legendary Michael Jackson fan website stated the following on June 14, 2014.
&#8220;The [2014] Michael Jackson Tribute Festival of the Arts will take place in Gary, Indiana on August 28, 29 and 30 at 2300 Jackson Street (the birth home of Michael Jackson)&#8230; the event will be showcasing undiscovered talent; in a celebration of The Jackson 5 breakout success from their humble beginnings in Gary.&#8221;
For this year&#8217;s event theme, Katherine Jackson has a special request for other celebrities, entertainers, or fans who want to volunteer at the Michael Jackson celebration. In a press release published by the Moonwalkers Unite fan website, Michael Jackson&#8217;s mom states the following.
&#8220;Please let us know if you will be able to donate your time and talents, there will also be several meet and greets, as the children come face to face with their favorite entertainers. Entertainers will do giveaways, sign autographs, speak an encouraging word, or even tell jokes.&#8221;
Following the request to join as an entertainer or volunteer at the event, Katherine Jackson gives the telephone number for S.A.W. Productions at 626-378-6076.
The all-ages event honoring Michael Jackson will also include free booths with a &#8220;celebrity beauty bar,&#8221; haircuts, food drinks, face painting &#8212; and lots of music.
Children in need who attend the Michael Jackson event will also get a chance to enter a giveaway to receive free school supplies. Along with backpacks, shoes, and clothing, Michael Jackson&#8217;s mother has free computers, cell phones, and iPads.
However, the big news for fans is the $5,000 prize for the Michael Jackson dance contest. To participate in the Michael Jackson dance contest, fans will need to attend the charity celebration in person.
The sixth annual 2015 Michael Jackson Charity event will be held in Gary, Indiana, on August 21 and 22 starting at noon each day. No further information at this time has been published concerning the official 2015 location of the Michael Jackson legacy celebration.
</section>
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2263796/mi...-prize-needs-celebs-fans/#J3l606XhY5kqrS8M.99

Well, I personally don't have any problems with offering a 5,000.00 prize for a talent contest-because I think they need something to lure people there-I've looked at pix and video for the last couple of years and it doesn't seem like there's much of a turnout -since Katherine and the kids go back to Gary on Michael's birthday every year, it seems more of a celebration of Michael, himself, not just the music icon-and I wish it would attract more people.

I know it's really awkward at their little house on that little street, but Roosevelt High School is still right there and I don't see why they couldn't use the school and the parking lot, and that field behind them to make a real big party out of it. I really don't like the way it was with the kids behind the fence in the yard, and people all around poking their hands through-it just seemed strange-I'd make it more like a festival. Give bus tours of the city and go over to Chicago to see around town, the steel mill, Mr. Lucky's, etc.

Obviously, I've never been to Gary, but that's my impression from looking at the film, etc. Maybe Katherine needs to get a better organizer than SAW Productions-and maybe get some fan clubs on board-don't they have a fan club in Chicago?

Here's my personal take on it (and note that this is just my opinion):

I would like to think now that Brad is hosting a session in Gary for MJ's birthday this year that more people will turn out? I think the thing is that most fans want to feel close to / know more about MJ, so they tend to be more open to people like Brad who are able to tell them personal stories that incapsulate a rather large portion of who MJ was with photos and videos and all that good stuff that involves him in some way, shape, or form? Not that Katherine didn't / doesn't know Michael (she was his Mother after all), but she hasn't done much to lift our spirits in terms of enlightening us about him? She tends to recite the same childhood stories or the same information that most fans already know, and hard as Katherine try, she doesn't seem very tapped in to the type of fanbase she's appealing to? Add on that the Jacksons seem to claim their tribute(s) as something that MJ would want his fans to have, but I've never seen any of them actually ask the fans what they want? I know that he was her son and she wants to celebrate his life, and I totally appreciate / respect / and understand what she's trying to do. I encourage this type of children's charity tribute because that's what Michael would want. It's not about guest stars and hoopla, it's about bringing a bunch of underprivileged kids together and giving them a good time. Unfortunately over the years, a lot of fans have been left with a bad taste in their mouths regarding a lot of the Jackson family. From Jermaine's bizarre Vienna tribute, followed by the less than enthralling Michael Forever tribute, to the AEG trial and almost immediate shoving of his children into the spotlight including but not limited to the Oprah (*sigh*) interview(s) - (yes - 2), to the constant gossip we hear of their battle with The Estate for money ... The list goes on and on. I feel bad that she hasn't been able to put on the type of celebration that Michael deserves, but that's primarily because I think his children deserve more. Last year, I found it very uncomfortable seeing photos / video of PPB in Gary at the house seemingly put on display (and you can always tell how uncomfortable Blanket is) while standing behind the fence signing shirts and taking selfies (so basically the complete and polar opposite of what Michael would have wanted.) I have however seen a lot of great fan tributes (The OneRoseForMJ for example) all over the world that really seem to tap in to what Michael was about, his message of love, his music, and for that reason think a lot of fans feel more comfortable celebrating / mourning with other fans because we're for the most part in the same boat with each other?

Last edited:
^^Good post, Tinny, and I absolutely get it. Except for the Michael impersonators that seem to turn Forest Lawn into a bit of a circus, I love participating in One Rose, and I absolutely love watching the film and looking through the pix from all over the world. We may all be fans starting with different "eras" but it's the one thing we all share.

And I also understand what you're talking about with the family lately-I really try hard to separate certain actions from the family from the family I loved when they started out-and some of my disapproval goes way back before any of that recent stuff-probably since 84-so none of this has taken me by total surprise.

I just want Katherine to "straighten up and fly right" to quote a song-I was trying to word my previous post in a certain way, but to be blunt, I really didn't like the kids being in the yard behind the fence like that-surrounded by fans-like "animals in a cage." I did not.

I was just trying to think of a way she could celebrate Michael and appreciate the fans in HER context-because she's not really involved with Michael's post Jackson 5 professional life-she's the mother-so that's why I was thinking tours of the town, where they went to school, or played on the weekend, or the Sears store she worked in, or the hospital the kids were born in, etc. would be kinda fun. It's something she could talk about It would be nostalgic and sentimental for all the history buffs out there.

And then for entertainment later on the Roosevelt school grounds-maybe different musical groups of their 70's hey day Actually, she should use that clout she has, and go after the other boys and have them perform a free concert-and give the proceeds to the revitalize Gary deal. (they're doing shows-I just read about a concert they're doing) and actually they (Marlon in particular) are pretty good about recalling the old days. And the city could use the help.

I don't know-I'm glad she's doing it, but at the same time, I think it could be a lot better and a lot more comfortable for the kids.

If anyone is suggesting the Estate is contributing the $5K, please submit proof. I am not aware of the Estate funding any of the tributes to Michael in Gary, Indiana, U.S.

While I understand the views being expressed, I have always been confused that some believe to truly see Michael - the man - they should seek the tales of those who worked with Michael professionally as opposed to those who knew the man personally first and foremost.

Various Jacksons have stated routine tales about themselves (and Michael) for decades and I believe they do so to protect their privacy. I do not believe fans deserve every memory the family and others who are personal friends to Michael hold. There are enough who will sell those memories &#8211; fact or fiction &#8211; for personal profit not to be shared with others holding similar tales.

There are some fans who view Katherine&#8217;s statements, actions, etc. with suspicion. Any tribute she has done or will do to honor her son &#8211; Cardiff, annual Gary tribute - is done without her son&#8217;s estate&#8217;s support. In fact, Michael&#8217;s estate has its&#8217; competing birthday tribute of sorts with MJ One in Las Vegas, U.S.

I agree Katherine does not have a pulse on online fandom; she does not have representation within said fandom. I am not uncomfortable seeing the photos of Michael&#8217;s children at his childhood home. If they are to pay tribute to their father on his birthday, it should be at a location that is representative of their father&#8217;s childhood and/or personal life, not his professional endeavors and/or achievements. It is also a more appropriate event for them to interact with some of their father's fans. I do not view these children as celebrities so I do not believe there is another appropriate event for them to have such interactions; particularly on an annual basis.

Last edited:
TJ Jackson ?@tjjackson July 24th

Who's coming to Gary, IN? Year after year I've watched this event grow to my grandma's delight. #3weeksaway #MJLove
CKq2DLMVAAAWDGo.png

I believe Michael Jackson fans should always try to support Michael Jackson's children:
Prince, Paris, and Blanket Jackson.

TJ Jackson ?@tjjackson July 24thI
Who's coming to Gary, IN? Year after year I've watched this event grow to my grandma's delight. #3weeksaway #MJLove
CKq2DLMVAAAWDGo.png

^^I'm glad she's getting some "performers and celebs." (Although I never heard of them).
But 3T ought to show up (with their reality show cameras), at least 3 of her sons should show, and so should Rebbie and Austin. Katherine ought to talk every single one of them into performing too.

Only if they are getting paid. hope the estate are watching which charity the money goes to seeing as the family are using mjs name and likeness presumably with permission?

Last edited:
Only if they are getting paid. hope the estate are watching which charity the money goes to seeing as the family are using mjs name and likeness presumably with permission?
I'm still OK with Marlon, Tito and Jackie, and the nieces and nephews-but if Michael could do the entire Victory Tour (and he was really the real reason people went to it) for his mother and family, and not receive a dime-then the boys could do this ONE DAY for their mom and brother.

I'm still OK with Marlon, Tito and Jackie, and the nieces and nephews-but if Michael could do the entire Victory Tour (and he was really the real reason people went to it) for his mother and family, and not receive a dime-then the boys could do this ONE DAY for their mom and brother.

It was my understanding that MJ did receive "a dime" (or his own due cut) but the whole "dime" (or his whole cut) went to a charity. That was his choice to not keep the money he earned and give it away. And I believe what instigated that decision by him was due to how turned off he was with the initial decision (made by others) to force fans to buy a minimum of four tickets, which he at some point, from fan letters (and one in particular really got his notice), learned was an unfair financial burden put upon them. He wanted to make sure he was separated completely by that money grabbing decision so he announced he would not be keeping any of it for himself, but would be giving it away.

But I see your point about the brothers helping out his Mother here would be nice :), but we really don't know the conversations they have had among each other, and all might be fine and dandy. It's hard to know from the outside looking in.

It was my understanding that MJ did receive "a dime" (or his own due cut) but the whole "dime" (or his whole cut) went to a charity. That was his choice to not keep the money he earned and give it away. And I believe what instigated that decision by him was due to how turned off he was with the initial decision (made by others) to force fans to buy a minimum of four tickets, which he at some point, from fan letters (and one in particular really got his notice), learned was an unfair financial burden put upon them. He wanted to make sure he was separated completely by that money grabbing decision so he announced he would not be keeping any of it for himself, but would be giving it away.

But I see your point about the brothers helping out his Mother here would be nice :), but we really don't know the conversations they have had among each other, and all might be fine and dandy. It's hard to know from the outside looking in.
And you are correct. That's what I meant-they could also do it for charity and for their mother.
I do agree that's the main reason Michael gave away his portion of the Victory Tour proceeds-Michael got the most flack for that at the time-but he got all the flack for everything that happened with that concert. The press was out for blood already.

That four ticket money order system was precisely the reason I didn't get to go to that concert.

I did read an article today that 22 members of the Jackson family are going to be there-I'd post it, but they didn't list any names besides Katherine and the kids.

Saturday: Edited to add: There are a bunch of pix and news articles regarding the celebration posted in the NEWS section. Looks like the kids, their first cousins, and Taj, TJ and Tarryl. Also Katherine and Rebbie.

Last edited:
Back