Michael Jackson’s Musical Treasure Trove: Looted and Leaked

Billyjeanplxiv

Proud Member
he simply asks fans to stop leaking material, and he goes over the recent leaks.

"If an unseen Picasso draft or sketch was discovered, but it was only partially complete, would it be acceptable for one of today’s artists to come in, fill the gaps, choose the colours, the thickness of the brush strokes, the mood of the piece, the style, the types of paint used and “complete” the painting? No, it would absolutely not be acceptable.

Yet with Jackson’s art, this is happening all the time. In fact, many of us encourage it to happen out of our own personal greed-fuelled desires to obtain and cling to any minuscule iota of “Michael Jackson” material we have not yet looted.

I mentioned earlier in this article that in the case of a Picasso piece, it might be displayed in a gallery, a museum or an exhibition of some description. It certainly wouldn’t be uploaded via Instagram the way Jackson’s songs are leaked via YouTube."

"The reality of the situation is that Michael Jackson did NOT want us to hear this material in the state it was in when he died, or in any state not personally put under the microscope for him to dissect, perfect and approve. Now, that’s not to say Michael NEVER wanted us to hear his new music – he clearly did! That’s why he was working so hard on it. But he never completed it to a standard in which he wanted us to experience it."

As a compromise, I’d simply ask fans to stop leaking previously-unpublished materials to the public.

he also points out the lack of previously unheard complete material in thee article. Which may come to a shock to some people, but with all these leaks of finished material how much will be new when the album drops? A Fan in the comments says, "The things with leaks are they become a double edged sword. Motivation for the leaks might be to stop or hamper Sony’s efforts. But in turn these same fans would be the first to complain that an MJ album isn’t charting well or being supported by promotion or even the fans due to the songs “already being available”. The end result outside of the fan community is news of a Michael Jackson album being released, flopping and fading from wider recognition."

Re: Damien Shields: Stop Leaking

Now see, this is a double edged sword as well.

As far as I'm concerned, concerts are useless (OPINION) so they can leak. So can songs that simply can't be completed (Days in Gloucestershire) or demo recordings of already-released songs (Hollywood Tonight). They shouldn't ALL leak, but a demo here and there wouldn't hurt.

Finished songs shouldn't leak though.

^I agree on that part, songs like DYKWYCA, Blue Gangsta or APWNN shouldn't had been leaked. I mean, those look more complete. If it continues, it'll leave us without surprises.

Well, a leak here and there every so often cant hurt. It adds up though. Concerts are pretty meh. Take it or leave it I guess. But sooner or later all that we will have it LQ leaks.

"If an unseen Picasso draft or sketch was discovered, but it was only partially complete, would it be acceptable for one of today’s artists to come in, fill the gaps, choose the colours, the thickness of the brush strokes, the mood of the piece, the style, the types of paint used and “complete” the painting? No, it would absolutely not be acceptable."

unfortunately this was the case with MICHAEL back in 2010

Thank you Billyjeanplxiv for sharing this. I couldn't agree more, and in fact, I was saying the very same thing in the leaked songs thread yesterday. I understand the desire for more of his music, I want more music too, but I don't want it in a way that is disrespectful of his memory. Maybe that sounds odd to some people, but that's just how I operate. Which is why, most of the stuff, I haven't listened to, nor am I likely to ever listen to, because I don't want to be just another person fueling the "leak" fire.

It's just a fact that leaks damper sales and potential of a song...

While I'd want to hear everything in MJs vault, I'd say for songs that are clearly no where near finished or maybe even small 10 second snippets of a song wont do too much... But songs like STTR, BG, APWNN, DYKWYCA and a few others could have had high potentials and now the only way it can have great potential is being remixed to basically be a new song.. Otherwise they wouldn't be much more than a good song to listen to..

For those who only care about that, than that's ok for them I guess!!

But MJ fans do have to consider how leaks change sales, which in turn affects his children

I think that if a song was not ready for public release as per Michael's standards at the time of his death, then it should never be released. None of that "well, if it was like this" or "if it was like that" or "live concert recordings are okay"... I think it should be nothing.

Most don't feel that way, so I know there is no stopping it, especially since the Estate themselves sees fit to release this material. As much as I want to support his kids, I cannot support this.

I agree finished songs shouldn't leak, fans shouldn't listen to them if they do. But while I appreciate his articles on leaked songs, isn't he just advertising the songs ? Then he says he is against leaks...

I am one to never mention unreleased songs outside this forum.. aside from my family, we have to remember when we mention the songs we are promoting it.. Even when they are leaks.

Yeah, why does write articles about the leaked songs then? He must know that people who haven't already heard of them might then get interested and try to track the songs down.

It's just a fact that leaks damper sales and potential of a song...

While I'd want to hear everything in MJs vault, I'd say for songs that are clearly no where near finished or maybe even small 10 second snippets of a song wont do too much... But songs like STTR, BG, APWNN, DYKWYCA and a few others could have had high potentials and now the only way it can have great potential is being remixed to basically be a new song.. Otherwise they wouldn't be much more than a good song to listen to..

For those who only care about that, than that's ok for them I guess!!

But MJ fans do have to consider how leaks change sales, which in turn affects his children

What!?!? I hate this argument I will always see it come up here in the discussion of album sales. MJ's KIDS HAVE ALREADY EARNED MORE MORE MONEY THAN THIS WHOLE BOARD COMBINED. Millions have already been made and will eventually be given to them in time, I don't understand what your saying.

Meh, although not targeted at him, a lot of people are probably hating as they now have no exclusivity on traded items etc. Sorry to burst traders' and collectors' bubble, but just because you paid a bit of money for a Michael Jackson rare track, does not make you the sole owner of the track rendering the rest of the fan community unworthy of the tracks. I don't understand how it was not a problem that a few people had a copy of the tracks, wherease now they are freely available. False entitlement much.

Meh, although not targeted at him, a lot of people are probably hating as they now have no exclusivity on traded items etc. Sorry to burst traders' and collectors' bubble, but just because you paid a bit of money for a Michael Jackson rare track, does not make you the sole owner of the track rendering the rest of the fan community unworthy of the tracks. I don't understand how it was not a problem that a few people had a copy of the tracks, wherease now they are freely available. False entitlement much.

I wouldn't put traders and collectors into the same spotlight, both are different folks. Traders are barely a shadow of the (real) collectors.

Yeah. It'd be terrible if they had to downsize from their huge mansion to a much smaller mansion.

Yeah. It'd be terrible if they had to downsize from their huge mansion to a much smaller mansion.

Wow. I speak fluently in sarcasm, so I get what you're saying, but at the same time, I think that was just totally unnecessary.

Sure, they have more money than most of here will ever see in our lifetimes, combined. Their father worked hard and he gave his life for his craft and his humanitarianism and damnit, yes, I do believe that they deserve to collect every penny and dime they can. They never asked for any of this to happen, so why punish them for it?

But the handful of new material that surfaced recently isn't hurting the estate.
Maybe APWNN should have been held onto (seems like something that they'd put on the next album or one after that).
But in general, it's mostly the fandom that would be aware of this stuff. Not the average person who would be interested in buying the new album of unreleased material.

Totally not counting concerts, too. They have countless TV broadcasts of History tour available, and 2 official releases of Bad and Dangerous, so releasing other cities shows that aren't ever going to surface isn't hurting anything. (though, it wouldn't be cool if someone leaked a new full bad show right around the time Wembley DVD came out).

The estate makes their money off of the hits, essentially, in various forms.

Back